Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
less than once per day you will be trapped here forever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

poo poo post

Ingredients
This thread

Directions
Post this thread
be les fleurs du mall

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
actually there are a lot of dumpster diving enthusiasts on the forums and i'm sure some of them will put you to shame with their incredible recipes.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
One time I found a 12 pack of Heineken in a bed of weeds and I drank it instead of eating.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

what if i rifled through YOUR garbage op? how would you feel then??

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

delicious food made from poo poo? have a pic op

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Chicken Stock:

Bacon drippings you could have put down the drain
One sprouted onion you were going to throw out anyway
Carrot tops
Oh god how old is this garlic
One rotisserie chicken carcass
Puddle Water and tears to flavor

Brown old onion, garlic, and carrot tops in bacon drippings. Add carcass and water to cover. Cover pot. Let simmer for as long as you can feed the fire with broken furniture and old newspapers, +5 hours is primo. Top off with water occasionally. Strain into other pot through old t-shirt, removing solids. Salt to taste.

Fish stock is much the same, except you use fish heads.

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

But Not Tonight posted:

what if i rifled through YOUR garbage op? how would you feel then??

i don't have any garbage; i eat it all

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Suspect Bucket posted:

Strain into other pot through old t-shirt

Ew.

grandpas drunk
Jun 10, 2015

by Ralp
i used to eat the old bread they would throw out in the dumperster behind the kroger but now they dump chemicalls all over it

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

What? How else are you going to add that "frontier" punch?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Libelous Slander posted:

What? How else are you going to add that "frontier" punch?

Rinse off a used coffee filter.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
T-shirts are my favorite straining medium for cheese. Just make sure it's clean and well rinsed.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I'm part of a group that goes to different chains and collects the veggies and fruit that they want to throw out for whatever reason, sorts through it all and then puts the 95% that's still okay to eat into several fridges that are accessible to anyone for free. It's essentially the same as dumpster diving without the associated ickyness.

grandpas drunk
Jun 10, 2015

by Ralp
where uhh where can a brotha find one ofthese "fridges" are they just out on the streets? should I just start opening random fridges to look for "loot" like in the popular videogame franchise "fallout"?

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

One time I dumpster dived some bell peppers, portabella, and kale from a produce place. I sauteed it all up with spices and it was good, and I didn't die.;

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

grandpas drunk posted:

where uhh where can a brotha find one ofthese "fridges" are they just out on the streets? should I just start opening random fridges to look for "loot" like in the popular videogame franchise "fallout"?
We're located in a busy town center, there aren't any other random fridges just standing around. The thing's been running for a year, we used to be in some kebab place's backlot but now we have our own location with a bit more space for stuff. We have a website (the fridges are locked but anyone can get the code if they write an e-mail) and the project got a lot of really nice writeups in a bunch of places so it's not exactly a secret. The publicity has also led to people starting similar projects in about a dozen other cities.

For reference, this is how much we collect in a day, it's usually all gone after 1-2 hours.

It's pretty small-scale but at least it's something. The biggest part of that comes from two Aldi stores (all the other chains in town went "nope, we don't throw anything away, ever!" when asked), there's also an Italian grocery, a bakery that gives us all their day-old bread and a vegan sandwich place.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jun 13, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Illinois Smith posted:

It's pretty small-scale but at least it's something. The biggest part of that comes from two Aldi stores (all the other chains in town went "nope, we don't throw anything away, ever!" when asked),

lol

Any chain that has a bakery is throwing out a metric fuckton of baked goods every three days. Stupid decorated sheet cakes no-one bought, old pies and cookies, baked-in-store bread, take and bake stuff, cupcakes, doughnuts, ect. I work on a farm, we used to collect pig food from a russian church that would get deliveries of Second Harvest stuff. We would take home a small horse trailer and the towing truck's bed full of the stuff. 90% of it was still fine and edible. We have less pigs now, so another farmer picks up from the church and just delivers us a few boxes of cakes and bread.

It's horrifying how much gets thrown away. A lot of human and industrial resources made into making those tons of refined sugar and flour, efforts that could probably be better used elsewhere.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

When I worked at a pizza place as a dishwasher, sometimes I'd take the half-pizzas that people would leave on the table home with me for dinner.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
When i worked in a bar we'd have a crazy good chickenwing deal. Often people would get a ton of orders and not eat one or two whole wing orders. I'd put those behind the bar and munch on them. Someone emailed management and said it was disgusting so i had to stop.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

grandpas drunk posted:

i used to eat the old bread they would throw out in the dumperster behind the kroger but now they dump chemicalls all over it

Coward

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Charles Bukowski posted:

When i worked in a bar we'd have a crazy good chickenwing deal. Often people would get a ton of orders and not eat one or two whole wing orders. I'd put those behind the bar and munch on them. Someone emailed management and said it was disgusting so i had to stop.

Everyone knows restaurant food turns into an Ebola-carrying plate of death as soon as it's removed from the customer's table.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Charles Bukowski posted:

hosed up if true :eyepop:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

It's pretty small-scale but at least it's something. The biggest part of that comes from two Aldi stores (all the other chains in town went "nope, we don't throw anything away, ever!" when asked), there's also an Italian grocery, a bakery that gives us all their day-old bread and a vegan sandwich place.

i worked at a place years ago that'd pour bleach on anything edible in the trash. not because there was ever evidence of homeless or dumpster divers, just because gently caress you got mine and dave didnt buy that food to give it to some bum for free

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer

The Goatfather posted:

i worked at a place years ago that'd pour bleach on anything edible in the trash. not because there was ever evidence of homeless or dumpster divers, just because gently caress you got mine and dave didnt buy that food to give it to some bum for free

I've heard about this sort of thing at a lot of places. That's just incredibly hosed up and mean. I think that's worse than cities installing spike strips to prevent homeless people from sleeping there.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Charles Bukowski posted:

I've heard about this sort of thing at a lot of places. That's just incredibly hosed up and mean. I think that's worse than cities installing spike strips to prevent homeless people from sleeping there.

pretty sure that's illegal in many places now

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
After smoking a duck I had a smoky duck carcass so I threw it in some water with some veggie trimmings to make stock. Then I made it into a delicious soup by adding in tons of greens. But this is the garbage thread, so it can't have been spinach from the store - no, it was a bunch of weeds from my lawn. My lawn has a giant patch of Lamb's Quarters, and the dandelions, clover and plantain are rampant. So I picked a bunch of each and boiled them up and drained them before tossing them in the stock and blending. loving delicious.

Smoky green soup
Ingredients:
Some garbage, preferably smoked
A lawn

Hooray!

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

The Goatfather posted:

Depending on jurisdiction, you may not be able to disclaim liability for harm caused by your food, even if people pick it out of your trash. That means leaving trash food edible doesn't benefit you, and has a nonzero probability of being very expensive. That doesn't mean that it's awesome for people to do it (and in some places, they're protected if they do), but it's not like it's pure spite either.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

ejstheman posted:

Depending on jurisdiction, you may not be able to disclaim liability for harm caused by your food, even if people pick it out of your trash. That means leaving trash food edible doesn't benefit you, and has a nonzero probability of being very expensive. That doesn't mean that it's awesome for people to do it (and in some places, they're protected if they do), but it's not like it's pure spite either.

Why not just drop it off at a food kitchen then :shrug:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Nooner posted:

a list of food kitchens that stay open that late:

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
consume evcerything, it is better for the environment than the terrible and smelly trqash piles near and in our houses.

now that i have irrevocably proven that garbage eating is good, please tell me good recipes for it

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

post the rest of the diet coke can chicken recipe please

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Libelous Slander posted:

post the rest of the diet coke can chicken recipe please

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Dang

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

Nooner posted:

Here is an exhaustive list of restaurant employees who want to do extra work without being paid after the end of their shift, in the middle of the night:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

ejstheman posted:

Here is an exhaustive list of restaurant employees who want to do extra work without being paid after the end of their shift, in the middle of the night:

oh yeah, I forgot Jesus said "gently caress you its after hours and im not getting paid" and not "help the needy" :shrek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Nooner posted:

oh yeah, I forgot Jesus said "gently caress you its after hours and im not getting paid" and not "help the needy" :shrek:

Honestly, if you think about it this way- A soup kitchen etc is going to be a pretty high stress environment with some undesirable clientele. I really doubt your average jose $7.50 an hour restaurant worker is going to have the fortitude/stress management to handle that sort of situation- Especially if its after hours and they're already grumpy from having to sit there and flip burgers for a few hours during their dayjob.

• Locked thread