Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Phrasing posted:

I generally hate companions so if I can the dog is staying home.

Somebody has to carry all my stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

SunAndSpring posted:

He's supposed to be a possible target for the Windhelm serial killer. So, if the serial killer wants to kill him, it's ok, but if you want to kill him you better solve the loving murder before you can murder.

I love that "can't kill him because he can be killed" no wonder bethesda's poo poo is so buggy.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

frajaq posted:

Also if the past tells us anything it only means that:

Fallout 4 is gonna be an Excellent Game, then Bethesda lets Obsidian do something with it and we get an even better Fallout game!

win-win for everyone!

I'm not sure if it's just up like that all the time but I noticed Obsidian has a suspiciously large number of job openings right now

https://www.obsidian.net/jobs

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

SexyCommando posted:

If it happens repeatedly then it's a :xcom: scenario and you just gotta accept fate and live with it.

Um, no, you simply reload until the acceptable result happens, just like in X-COM.

SunAndSpring posted:

Bethesda really needs to stop relying on essential NPCs as a crutch. If someone in a quest can die, write a new path around it rather than just making him invincible.

I literally can't remember the game, but there was some Russian post-apoc game that had this, and it resulted in "can't turn in this mission; quest giver got into a random fight and died" nonsense.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Forced backstory, forced voice acting, forced unkillable companions.... god damnit Beth it's alright to let players play your RPG like it's an RPG.

"Forced voice acting"

It's not an RPG unless your character's voice is entirely in your head, is it?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

frajaq posted:

Dogmeat is essential until he's brutally murdered by the big villain, who is actually your android baby

My theory is you are an android created by the baby, who grew up and is some kind of lonely ghoulish horror who built you and implanted you with his parent's memories or an imagined facsimile thereof.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Not voicing your main character in a game with a narrative focus and other characters who are voiced is pretty mentally disabled if you ask me.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Merry Magpie posted:

At some point, Bethesda decided that their terrible story was more important than the player's enjoyment.

No just a small set of players enjoyment, everyone else doesn't want to go through some extra bullshit hoops or reload a save because a dathclaw or dremora eats a characters face or they ran in to punch a radroach/skeever and ate more then their daily recommended dose of friendly fire bullets/fireballs.

Your desire to murder every character is weird, you are weird. Feel free to prove my assertion by showing how high Essential NPC disabling mods are on the Nexus download lists.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Reloading a save, how inconvenient.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I wish you actually literally played Gordon Freeman in this game.

All that character creation bullshit at the beginning? Yeah, just to psyche you out. You die like a pussy in a nuclear inferno.

When you emerge from the Vault you're sporting your crowbar and Hazard Orange coloured power armour. Also Alyx is in the game somehow.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The only true RPGs are games like Nethack, where there is no sound or story and only the most hardcore make it two hours without starving to death or some bizarre hazard that's impossible to predict instantly kills you with no saving allowed.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

There's good reasons to play either way

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SirDan3k posted:

No just a small set of players enjoyment, everyone else doesn't want to go through some extra bullshit hoops or reload a save because a dathclaw or dremora eats a characters face or they ran in to punch a radroach/skeever and ate more then their daily recommended dose of friendly fire bullets/fireballs.

Your desire to murder every character is weird, you are weird. Feel free to prove my assertion by showing how high Essential NPC disabling mods are on the Nexus download lists.

So by your logic, Fallout 4 should be nothing but naked characters, and exploding into bloody gore with every hit. Extra gore and nudity tend to be high on the popularity lists.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

chitoryu12 posted:

The only true RPGs are games like Nethack, where there is no sound or story and only the most hardcore make it two hours without starving to death or some bizarre hazard that's impossible to predict instantly kills you with no saving allowed.

Yeah, that's exactly what we want

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I will always be amused and bewildered by complaints about any structure or limitations in a game with a narrative. It makes me wonder why some people even play video games. I do wish there was a toggle for non-essential npc flags though, so people can kill everything and ruin their questlines and I'd never have to hear this stupid loving argument again.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I really like playing with essential NPCs, but yeah, they should definitely have a toggle, especially for the PC game where you can just pull up the console if you want to bring them back to life to complete a quest line.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Really why can't FO:4 be more like a spiritual successor to the One True RPG - Dwarf Fortress

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I'd rather have essential characters than fail quests because of an NPC dying.

NV had a big problem if you went pro-Legion; if you went on a rampage inside Hoover Dam and massacred everyone there before killing Kimball, you'd instantly fail the quest to kill Kimball when you got it because you murdered a vital NPC for the quest that you didn't know even existed. There are also other instances where you'll instantly fail a quest you didn't know existed because you decided to murder a random NPC that was actually important in a quest.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Kurtofan posted:

Reloading a save, how inconvenient.

I know that's supposed to be sarcasm but yes stopping the flow of the game to load up a save from five minute to half an hour ago is inconvenient.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

graynull posted:

I will always be amused and bewildered by complaints about any structure or limitations in a game with a narrative. It makes me wonder why some people even play video games. I do wish there was a toggle for non-essential npc flags though, so people can kill everything and ruin their questlines and I'd never have to hear this stupid loving argument again.

Because if I wanted to play a game where I just ran along a set path with a pre-defined character doing what the game told me to, I'd play pretty much any other game. I play games like Fallout so I can explore the wasteland and do whatever comes to mind.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

SirDan3k posted:

I know that's supposed to be sarcasm but yes stopping the flow of the game to load up a save from five minute to half an hour ago is inconvenient.

Saving often is something that people should be doing when playing an RPG, we've all been burned at one point or the other. It's a learning process, it's essential to save in case you gently caress up.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

closeted republican posted:

I do too, and I like a little bit of narrative which sort of makes it important, but a toggle for it really wouldn't be hard, and they could make sure that turning off essential NPCs came with a warning so new players wouldn't do it accidentally.

There'll be a mod to do it almost right away though, I'm sure.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

NV had a big problem if you went pro-Legion; if you went on a rampage inside Hoover Dam and massacred everyone there before killing Kimball, you'd instantly fail the quest to kill Kimball when you got it because you murdered a vital NPC for the quest that you didn't know even existed. There are also other instances where you'll instantly fail a quest you didn't know existed because you decided to murder a random NPC that was actually important in a quest.

Well he isn't gonna show up to the dam if you slaughter everyone there. That's not very safe for him, isn't it?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Fixing essential NPCs is really easy. Just let the player coup de grace any downed essential NPC, throw in the Morrowind YOU DONE BROKED poo poo dialogue, and you're good to go. Bethesda is just lazy and stupid.

There are plenty of other ways a competent game designer could improve the system, that just took about 10 seconds to think up, but doing actual game design isn't really a priority for developers these days.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

graynull posted:

It's because it's a dumb limitation that adds nothing to the game.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Nuebot posted:

Because if I wanted to play a game where I just ran along a set path with a pre-defined character doing what the game told me to, I'd play pretty much any other game. I play games like Fallout so I can explore the wasteland and do whatever comes to mind.

What a simplistic and reductive way to look at having any structure at all in a game.

e: There is no possible way they could ever make large quest lines with voiced characters and account for every possible whim of every single player. Most NPCs should be killable, but a few aren't. It was overused in Skyrim though, I will agree.

graynull fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 17, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

K8.0 posted:

Fixing essential NPCs is really easy. Just let the player coup de grace any downed essential NPC, throw in the Morrowind YOU DONE BROKED poo poo dialogue, and you're good to go. Bethesda is just lazy and stupid.

There are plenty of other ways a competent game designer could improve the system, that just took about 10 seconds to think up, but doing actual game design isn't really a priority for developers these days.

I'm not even sure it's laziness, I think they're babying their players, as if people can't handle the occasional reload and whatnot.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

K8.0 posted:

I don't want that, actually, because in huge melees, you frequently accidentally end up double tapping your companions, and reloading is kind of annoying, whatever kurtofan may think. The toggle is better.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

on the otherhand, why would Kimball land at the Hoover Dam if everyone got massacred

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

There are also other instances where you'll instantly fail a quest you didn't know existed because you decided to murder a random NPC that was actually important in a quest.

loving Boxcars in Nipton man :argh:

ShadowMar posted:

on the otherhand, why would Kimball land at the Hoover Dam if everyone got massacred

That's the thing, you don't know that Kimball is gonna visit the place at that point!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

If murdering everyone in sight is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

SirDan3k posted:

What are you going on about?

The NPC SuninSpring mentioned couldn't be killed because it could die as part of a separate quest.
Bethesda were unwilling to account for that eventuality so they made the NPC essential.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I don't know if it's been brought up before in this thread because I skipped all the garbage that was happening earlier but have they talked about if the game will have lines for 1 INT characters? That's like my one and only concern with the MC having a voice now. :ohdear:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

I'm not even sure it's laziness, I think they're babying their players, as if people can't handle the occasional reload and whatnot.

I'm sorry, are you seriously saying that it's "babying" players to not let them break the game and have to reload a save without any warning that they're making the game unwinnable until they already do it?

Honest question: do you believe that only your personal definition of "fun" should be catered to?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

I'm not sure if it's just up like that all the time but I noticed Obsidian has a suspiciously large number of job openings right now

https://www.obsidian.net/jobs

It's probably for Pathfinder, since the QA position involves D20 experience.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm sorry, are you seriously saying that it's "babying" players to not let them break the game and have to reload a save without any warning that they're making the game unwinnable until they already do it?

Honest question: do you believe that only your personal definition of "fun" should be catered to?

It kind of is when you make a game that emphasizes the open world and freedom but then go "oh wait now we should make all these guys immortal so no one can hurt them. Oh and make all these guys' guns unobtainable so no one can steal them too. Might as well lock off all these areas with unpickable locks with no keys, don't want anyone getting in early." It kind of defeats the purpose.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

chitoryu12 posted:

They could put warnings without making the npc immortal.

my definition of "fun" is just letting me do poo poo as I want, I don't see how it tramples on yours.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 17, 2015

SexyCommando
Mar 1, 2014

Just do your best.
Just do your worst.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I don't know if it's been brought up before in this thread because I skipped all the garbage that was happening earlier but have they talked about if the game will have lines for 1 INT characters? That's like my one and only concern with the MC having a voice now. :ohdear:
Probably won't happen. Partially because I don't think FO3 had it, and partially because I don't think Bethesda wants to record their voice actors going "Me want shiny!". Which is unfortunate because having people like the Overseer in FO1's dialogue change so they talk down to you was funny as hell.

Also boo-hoo a character died and I can't do a quest, this isn't the perfect outcome where everyone survives that I wanted in my game about a hostile apocalyptic hellscape.

MisterBibs posted:

I literally can't remember the game, but there was some Russian post-apoc game that had this, and it resulted in "can't turn in this mission; quest giver got into a random fight and died" nonsense.
Maybe quests should be more dynamic so they aren't "talk to quest giver, get thing, 'turn in' quest to quest giver" MMO-style garbage. If killing an NPC means that you can't find and experience a cool area without him, or can't just take the potential reward off his corpse, guess what, it's a badly designed quest.

Besides, allowing NPCs to get killed off-camera by random encounters is terrible design.

SexyCommando fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 17, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nuebot posted:

It kind of is when you make a game that emphasizes the open world and freedom but then go "oh wait now we should make all these guys immortal so no one can hurt them. Oh and make all these guys' guns unobtainable so no one can steal them too. Might as well lock off all these areas with unpickable locks with no keys, don't want anyone getting in early." It kind of defeats the purpose.

There's virtually no decent game that actually has 100% freedom, though. There's always concessions that are made in the name of preventing players from breaking the game or locking themselves out of content.

quote:

They could put warnings without making the npc immortal.

my definition of "fun" is just letting me do poo poo as I want, I don't see how it tramples on yours.

You accused it of "babying" players, as if players who don't want to deal with those kind of problems are somehow inferior in maturity or skill to you. You're asking that special considerations be made for your own desires, regardless of what the rest of the audience wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

You're probably thinking of STALKER. The original builds of the game had an artificial intelligence system that actually simulated the NPCs and monsters moving around relatively realistically when you weren't around and completing their own missions. The problem is that important NPCs would suddenly die before you could turn in a quest or get a quest from them because they'd wander into a pack of boar and get gored, and supposedly there were even instances where they would make it all the way to the end location of the game by themselves. It also manifested in ways that made things easier, like an assassination target getting himself shot literally as soon as you got the job to kill him.

This was too much of a hassle for playtesters, so while they didn't make the NPCs invincible they did lock them into safe areas and scripted appearances and disappearances so players who weren't of the "Kill 'em all" mindset could actually complete the game.

• Locked thread