Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Got around to picking up the Android version of TWEWY (I think I like the controls better, the touchscreen is definitely more sensitive than the DS, but I'm not sure how the pin evolution is gonna work with some of them) and goddamn, I forgot how much I got a kick out of Neku. A stubborn cynical rear end in a top hat protag that doesn't just smile and nod to everything the resident Walking Exposition tells him, and continues to be a cynical rear end in a top hat through at least half the game is right up my alley. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Exit Strategy posted:

My favorite "overly concerned with the damage you're dealing" script, though, remains the punch tutorial from Gunpoint. It proceeds from telling you that one punch is OK and enough to knock someone out up through giving you an achievement if you'll please just stop punching that guy.
The writing in that game is just great from start to finish. My favourite is the bit where Mark Jackson is telling you his side of the story and says "I was trying to protect her." You have two options for how you want to respond:
  1. From who?
  2. From whom?

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
Heroes of the Storm is the friendliest MOBA that exists, hero/champion-wise. I'm used to most MOBA heroes being humorless, cynical assholes waiting for you to give them an order so they can tell you they're not having fun. In HotS I've been playing Elite Tauren Chieftain and he is just thrilled to be there, and is enthusiastic for every order you give him. And my dwarf friend says he was glad to be there to see that kill.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Speaking of MOBAs, the latest League of Legends champion, Ekko, has some custom dialogue when you buy certain items. His whole gimmick is that he can manipulate time, so if you buy Zhonya's Hourglass, which freezes the champion in time temporarily, he goes "How can I NOT get this?"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Xythe posted:

Heroes of the Storm is the friendliest MOBA that exists, hero/champion-wise. I'm used to most MOBA heroes being humorless, cynical assholes waiting for you to give them an order so they can tell you they're not having fun. In HotS I've been playing Elite Tauren Chieftain and he is just thrilled to be there, and is enthusiastic for every order you give him. And my dwarf friend says he was glad to be there to see that kill.

A friend of mine and rabid LoL player has been trying to get me into this. If the characters are actually fun, I'm sold.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

PunkBoy posted:

Speaking of MOBAs, the latest League of Legends champion, Ekko, has some custom dialogue when you buy certain items. His whole gimmick is that he can manipulate time, so if you buy Zhonya's Hourglass, which freezes the champion in time temporarily, he goes "How can I NOT get this?"

Do he mean that in the sense like "how could I not buy this; it's so me!" or more like "How do I not understand this time trick and thus need an item to do it for me"?

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Mazerunner posted:

Do he mean that in the sense like "how could I not buy this; it's so me!" or more like "How do I not understand this time trick and thus need an item to do it for me"?

The former. And it really is a good item on him.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
On top of Dota 2 having a bunch of responses for buying good items for a hero (one hero's got a response for buying a specific, ridiculously expensive and risky pair of items, another has one for buying four Aghanim's Scepters because that used to be a really good strategy), it's also got some lines for making extremely bad item choices. Buying Blink Daggers on heroes that can already blink gets you wondering why you bothered, Lifestealer gets offended if you buy a lifesteal item, and the hard supporting hero Warlock sounds genuinely worried if you buy him the high-risk damage item Divine Rapier.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I don't play DOTA 2 but the extra voicepacks they have for sale are pretty drat funny. I'm not sure if I like GLaDoS or Bastion's more, and they almost make me want to play.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Don Gato posted:

I don't play DOTA 2 but the extra voicepacks they have for sale are pretty drat funny. I'm not sure if I like GLaDoS or Bastion's more, and they almost make me want to play.

Your GLaDOS link is broken; here's one that's correctly formatted.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Don Gato posted:

The answer is this one.

"Go forth and prove that video games are art./sarcasm"

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 04:22 on Jun 9, 2015

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Cleretic posted:

On top of Dota 2 having a bunch of responses for buying good items for a hero (one hero's got a response for buying a specific, ridiculously expensive and risky pair of items, another has one for buying four Aghanim's Scepters because that used to be a really good strategy), it's also got some lines for making extremely bad item choices. Buying Blink Daggers on heroes that can already blink gets you wondering why you bothered, Lifestealer gets offended if you buy a lifesteal item, and the hard supporting hero Warlock sounds genuinely worried if you buy him the high-risk damage item Divine Rapier.

Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meH9uKpQfzM

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Of all the places to find a Shakespeare reference, I didn't expect Mortal Kombat.
When the new DLC Tanya enters with Kung Lao you might get this as an intro;

Tanya: Do you toss your hat at me?
Kung Lao: I do toss my hat.
Tanya: If you do, then I am for you.

Which copies Romeo & Juliet, Act 1 scene 1.

Abraham: Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?
Sampson: I do bite my thumb, sir.
Sampson [aside to GREGORY] Is the law of our side, if I say
ay?
Gregory: No.
Sampson: No, sir, I do not bite my thumb at you, sir, but I
bite my thumb, sir.
Gregory: Do you quarrel, sir?
Abraham: Quarrel sir! no, sir.
Sampson: If you do, sir, I am for you: I serve as good a man as you.

I'm probably the only one who found that hilarious.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Little design detail I liked from Shadow of Mordor: When you're in one of the strongholds, there's a corner of a rampart that's been crumbled or blown off, but the structure is put back together with a makeshift cluster of various different types of shields, presumably taken from corpses or enslaved warriors. Little details like that make the world feel more lived in.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cleretic posted:

A few even get embarrassed/angry if their abilities don't work out very well. If the Lich only hits one or two enemies with his ultimate AOE attack he gets a very sheepish "that wasn't my best sorry :ohdear:".

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

Little design detail I liked from Shadow of Mordor: When you're in one of the strongholds, there's a corner of a rampart that's been crumbled or blown off, but the structure is put back together with a makeshift cluster of various different types of shields, presumably taken from corpses or enslaved warriors. Little details like that make the world feel more lived in.

Mechanic-wise, one thing I liked as well is that even if you get killed, you still get a little XP, and a few of the points that let you unlock more abilities.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Curse of Monkey Island's Ouch/Papapishu easter egg will always be one of my favorite things. Basically there's an optional bit where you can read a sign and learn a different word for "ouch" and if you learn it, every character from there on in will say "papapishu!" instead of "ouch!"

CMI needs a HD remake right now.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tiberius Thyben posted:

The answer is this one.

"Go forth and prove that video games are art./sarcasm"

Is the Rick and Morty one out yet? because that one's going to own

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"Your terrifying reign of dying continues." :drat:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Babe Magnet posted:

Is the Rick and Morty one out yet? because that one's going to own

Rick and Morty's in progress. So is SHODAN, which is apparently coming sometime around TI5.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.
All the interactions between characters and items has to be my favorite part about DotA2. I don't actually find the game itself to be that fun, it's kindof slow paced, but man. There's so much life and flavor and humor to all the things like announcers and poo poo. But seriously, character specific dialogue for when one character kills another, or even just sees another, and commenting on you buying specific items, I love that poo poo. Gives them all so much more personality.

Other dotalikes have some elements of this in some form but it has the most by far.

Speaking of cool announcers though I do want to mention Heroes of Newerth's Samuel L Jackson pack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TICjHjCUnbQ

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

LumpyGumby posted:

Of all the places to find a Shakespeare reference, I didn't expect Mortal Kombat.
When the new DLC Tanya enters with Kung Lao you might get this as an intro;

Tanya: Do you toss your hat at me?
Kung Lao: I do toss my hat.
Tanya: If you do, then I am for you.

Which copies Romeo & Juliet, Act 1 scene 1.

Sampson: I do bite my thumb, sir.
Sampson [aside to GREGORY] Is the law of our side, if I say
ay?
Gregory: No.
Sampson: No, sir, I do not bite my thumb at you, sir, but I
bite my thumb, sir.
Gregory: Do you quarrel, sir?
Abraham: Quarrel sir! no, sir.
Sampson: If you do, sir, I am for you: I serve as good a man as you.

I'm probably the only one who found that hilarious.

Similar to this I had big surprise in borderlands 2. When the big mechanic woman is explaining the clan fued and I think one family head is named jim bo. She says at the end "yojimbo" the kurosawa film with the same plot

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

donkey salami posted:

Similar to this I had big surprise in borderlands 2. When the big mechanic woman is explaining the clan fued and I think one family head is named jim bo. She says at the end "yojimbo" the kurosawa film with the same plot

I'm pretty sure "Yojimbo" is kinda a big Japanese mythological character on his own, old films notwithstanding. He's gotta be tied with Nobunaga appearing as the Japanese equivalent of Satan-Hitler, anyway.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Who What Now posted:

I'm pretty sure "Yojimbo" is kinda a big Japanese mythological character on his own, old films notwithstanding. He's gotta be tied with Nobunaga appearing as the Japanese equivalent of Satan-Hitler, anyway.

Yojimbo is essentially Japanese for "bodyguard." I also figure Americans would be more likely to recognize Usagi Yojimbo rather Japanese movies from the 60's. Maybe the people making the game have a thing for old Japanese samurai movies, though. That isn't exactly uncommon and Usagi Yojimbo was also influenced by Akira Kurosawa stuff.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 13:15 on Jun 10, 2015

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The Yojimbo reference Donkey talks about is this quote: "After this red harvest, you'll be the last one standing with a fistful of dollars. Yo jimbo."

Clint Eastwood's Fistful of Dollars and the Bruce Willis movie Last Man Standing are based on Kurosawa's Yojimbo, which is based on the novel Red Harvest.

On a recent session of Borderlands 2, I was running away from a larger bandit camp, and I got to hear the "Too solid flesh" soliliquy from Hamlet in its entirety. Any psycho can say it, so I was lucky to hear it from a guy I wasn't forced to fight.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 13:49 on Jun 10, 2015

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

donkey salami posted:

That entire moment of speaking is generously peppered with movie references, if I recall correctly. Right now I only remember that Ellie also mentions A Fistful of Dollars.

e: holy poo poo JUST f;b

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Aristobulus posted:

All the interactions between characters and items has to be my favorite part about DotA2. I don't actually find the game itself to be that fun, it's kindof slow paced, but man. There's so much life and flavor and humor to all the things like announcers and poo poo. But seriously, character specific dialogue for when one character kills another, or even just sees another, and commenting on you buying specific items, I love that poo poo. Gives them all so much more personality.

The ridiculous line gimmicks they run with for some heroes is great. Tidehunter occasionally remarks upon leveling "I could eat a(n) X" with progressively larger sealife, from plankton to plesiosaur, until he reaches maximum level and simply announces "I'M STUFFED."

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Who What Now posted:

Future archaeologist reading your posts: "One of America's most important mythological characters was Ms. Paint Adventures"

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
In Hotline Miami 2, there's a couple of things I just realized about the end sequence.

All of The Fans except Tony join in on torturing and killing a drugged up ex-mafia thug.

All of The Fans except Tony are effortlessly cut down by the drugged up boss of the mafia. Speaking of which, Mark's playstyle focuses on guns but he fights you unarmed... And is beaten by a golf club. Corey's special ability is she can dive under bullets... But is shot in the stomach.

The Fans also all meet the fate of their heroes: Dead in a Russian building.

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Jun 15, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

RagnarokAngel posted:

I also love how he holds rifles and shotguns by the barrel when not in use instead of strapping them to his back with velcro.

Slings are expensive as gently caress, especially in 3rd world countries.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
In Batman: Arkham Origins the player can disarm thugs through the gaps in metal fences, but longer weapons like pipes or baseball bats won't go through the fence. Shorter or smaller weapons such as guns and knives will fly right through, however.

The first thug I Batclaw'd a gun from kept stomping his foot and yelling at me to fight fair from behind the fence.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

QuietLion posted:

In Batman: Arkham Origins the player can disarm thugs through the gaps in metal fences, but longer weapons like pipes or baseball bats won't go through the fence. Shorter or smaller weapons such as guns and knives will fly right through, however.

The first thug I Batclaw'd a gun from kept stomping his foot and yelling at me to fight fair from behind the fence.

Arkham City has these giant electromagnet things scatter around the city. You activate them with your lightning gun, and generally use them to solve various Riddler puzzles scatter around the place. They will also attract metal objects, like guns, knive, or thugs wearing metal armor. They also work through walls which generally leads to some very confused thugs trying to pry their guns free.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

Avulsion posted:

Arkham City has these giant electromagnet things scatter around the city. You activate them with your lightning gun, and generally use them to solve various Riddler puzzles scatter around the place. They will also attract metal objects, like guns, knive, or thugs wearing metal armor. They also work through walls which generally leads to some very confused thugs trying to pry their guns free.
I've played City a ton and never knew this! Though I barely used the REC, I probably should have experimented with it more. City was pretty fun and I'm hoping Knight takes after it more than Origins.

EDIT: Also the final Bane fight was pretty neat. It was like a more stressful version of Mr. Freeze's fight in City. Bane even has different animations for checking vents depending if the vent cover is still on.

QuietLion has a new favorite as of 00:34 on Jun 17, 2015

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The ending to Black & White 2 has something that I've always liked for the joke of it. Not spoiler-blocking it because its ten years old.

The core plot is you, as a God, fighting off a God Of The Dead whose armies are skeletons. At the end when you're happy and everything, a single skeleton stands up near your town, cackling ominously before cutting to credits. Sequel bait, right?

Nope, after the credits the lone skeleton is silently shot at with ~5 flaming arrows, killing it quickly.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
I'm replaying Destiny after giving up in the first hour or so about 6 months ago, so I'm looking at things all fresh and new thanks to the recent 8-4 Play podcast about it.

The ambient music is amazing, especially during the horrendously long initial load. Gives so much scope and has a 60s-70s sci-fi feeling of hope and exploration. The same goes for the artwork and level design. Just vista after vista of beauty.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Finally cracking into Pillars of Eternity and I love how when you click on something interactable like a town exit, if you're somewhat close and the game knows there will not be any obstacles, it just happens .

The quality of life on POE is phenomenal.

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 03:01 on Jun 17, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

On the other hand, the fortress.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

They fixed the fortress, didn't they?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Witcher 3

Geralt's beard actually grows back after a while. Though that was cool as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

TontoCorazon posted:

Witcher 3

Geralt's beard actually grows back after a while. Though that was cool as poo poo.

Similarly, the degradation of Batman's costume as the night's progress in the various Arkham games. My only complaint is that they seem to be tied to story progress alone rather than actual game performance (I.e. if you do well, the cape and cowl still get cut up even if you've been a completely stealthy bastard).