Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

Dessert Rose posted:

Yeah, this was what made me go "what?" Obvi your senior dev/architect/whatever is going to be doing some completely different things, you can't possibly compare them so easily.

Eh. At Google, at least, you're supposed to show that you're already doing the work of your level +1 before you get promoted there. If people were doing completely different things at each level, nobody would ever move up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

There are dozens of us! Dozens!

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I've got 3 months gardening leave prior to starting a new job, and whilst there will still be a fair amount of .NET (of which I'm very comfortable with), I'm going to be exposed to linux and python. 3 months of free time = plenty of time to learn. The python I'm not worried about, but what are good books or resources for learning about development and diagnosing issues on linux? e.g. On Windows, you'd check eventvwr, check active directory, run either procexp or procmon, ildasm, corflags and similar depending on where you thought the problem might be. Is there a good book that sort of thing for Linux? I'm finding it hard to phrase my searches appropriately. Knowing what's out there, as well as what each does would be helpful. Also I'm thinking of getting http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linux-Programming-Interface-System-Handbook/dp/1593272200/ as well. Anything better.

TL;DR: Good book on "Problem on linux in qa or production, what do?"

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I suppose a good start might be to familiarize yourself with coreutils? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Core_Utilities

---

In other news, I've just finished separating myself from one of the most toxic working relationships I've ever experienced, or even heard of secondhand. Sucks too, because it was one of the first jobs where I liked the work and the people a lot, and people liked me back. :(

Honestly don't have a clue what to do with my career now. I put in an honest effort and got burned, and I got burned hard. What's good?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

In other news, I've just finished separating myself from one of the most toxic working relationships I've ever experienced, or even heard of secondhand. Sucks too, because it was one of the first jobs where I liked the work and the people a lot, and people liked me back. :(

Honestly don't have a clue what to do with my career now. I put in an honest effort and got burned, and I got burned hard. What's good?

My last job was pretty terrible, though I now feel like it's just given me a better perspective on what to look out for in the future. And the stories I get from people still working there (for now) are pretty hilarious. Also you gotta dish out more than that, cmon!

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Milotic posted:

Are you a developer or a sysadmin? If you're a developer, your problem is probably file permissions ("ls -l") or the system's overloaded ("top") or you're out of disk space ("df -h"). If you're a sysadmin, there's a lot more to know, and you start having to care about what distro you're in.

I don't know any good books. I get an error message, either on the command line or in a log file (well-behaved programs write to logfiles under /var/log/) and I paste it into Google.

Get Vagrant and build yourself some Linux VMs to play on.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Stop and evaluate your life. Full stop. In the two and a half years I've been aware of you this feels like the third or fourth really bad break. (Not sure if android hell was crunchy roll or not). That's not remotely normal or healthy. Most engineers your age have far less number of job changes and from what I've seen are just happier.

Relax a bit and come to the Pacific Northwest we don't screw with people like that.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Milotic posted:

I've got 3 months gardening leave prior to starting a new job, and whilst there will still be a fair amount of .NET (of which I'm very comfortable with), I'm going to be exposed to linux and python. 3 months of free time = plenty of time to learn. The python I'm not worried about, but what are good books or resources for learning about development and diagnosing issues on linux? e.g. On Windows, you'd check eventvwr, check active directory, run either procexp or procmon, ildasm, corflags and similar depending on where you thought the problem might be. Is there a good book that sort of thing for Linux? I'm finding it hard to phrase my searches appropriately. Knowing what's out there, as well as what each does would be helpful. Also I'm thinking of getting http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linux-Programming-Interface-System-Handbook/dp/1593272200/ as well. Anything better.

I'm kind of in the same boat, in that a job interview I've got coming up is going to quiz me on troubleshooting Linux performance so I have to learn this stuff fast.

What I'm doing first is acquainting myself with the fundamentals of Unix, Linux, and TCP/IP. Understanding processes and how they're spawned, system calls, signals, virtual memory and swap, file systems, sockets, etc. In that respect, not must has changed at all over the decades and a book like The Design of the Unix Operating System will still provide a useful foundation.

But the trouble is with books about Linux tools is that they go out of date so quickly. Both the tools and the kernel move really fast. What I'd do is search for articles and StackOverflow answers, they tend to be more up-to-date and to the point. E.g. "How do I determine which process is hogging all my bandwidth?" is going to get you about 4 different answers, but a least it usually indicates the most popular tool these days.

Here are some of my notes about tools to troubleshoot a slow system:
- vmstat - displays check swap, memory, block io.
- top - check load (# of waiting processes), CPU usage, memory usage.
- nethogs / iotop - see what processes are using I/O (neither is part of a standard install on many distros)
- ps - List running processes, look for processes with state ‘D’ (uninterruptible sleep, usually due to I/O)
- cat /proc/<pid>/io - lists io statistics for a process (the /proc virtual filesystem has an amazing wealth of information)
- lsof -p <pid> - list files opened by the process
- netstat (deprecated by 'ss') - show what connections are open
- df /path/to/file - show what filesystem a file is mounted on
- strace -p <pid> - see what system calls are being made by a process
- ulimit - control process quotas

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

My last job was pretty terrible, though I now feel like it's just given me a better perspective on what to look out for in the future. And the stories I get from people still working there (for now) are pretty hilarious. Also you gotta dish out more than that, cmon!
Agreed on the first count, but on the second, the details aren't for public consumption. Sorry.

Hughlander posted:

Stop and evaluate your life. Full stop. In the two and a half years I've been aware of you this feels like the third or fourth really bad break. (Not sure if android hell was crunchy roll or not). That's not remotely normal or healthy. Most engineers your age have far less number of job changes and from what I've seen are just happier.

Relax a bit and come to the Pacific Northwest we don't screw with people like that.
That sounds pretty heavy. I'll think about that.

Basically, I'm looking for stability and a decent manager, and have been for a long time, but at this point I think my heuristics for determining what to look for are somewhat broken. So to restate my question in a different way, what signs should I be looking out for / how do I identify people/situations/companies that give me a favorable chance of settling down and just working for a couple of years?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Basically, I'm looking for stability and a decent manager, and have been for a long time, but at this point I think my heuristics for determining what to look for are somewhat broken. So to restate my question in a different way, what signs should I be looking out for / how do I identify people/situations/companies that give me a favorable chance of settling down and just working for a couple of years?

Well, there really isn't an easy way to do this... but what you are looking for are proper servant-leaders. This is where the manager of a team does not take the position of someone who commands & controls, but instead does the things that allow the people working with them work better. This requires someone with much less personal-ego than most managers tend to have.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

If you don't want to play the leadership personality odds at a small shop, you're definitely going to want a company that is big enough to have processes by which people can get out of a bad situation - either by preventing them in the first place, disrupting them when they happen, or making transfer easy. In all likelyhood, a company big enough to establish such practices is probably big enough to have a reputation as being a decent place to work.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Dearest Bay Area techies:

I want to be comfortable during an all day interview loop. Am I going to be underdressed wearing nice slim fit jeans and a button down? Maybe throw on a jacket? That seems to pass for business formal in Palo Alto as far as I've seen.

My phone screen was over Skype with a company VP and he was wearing a hoodie so that's kind of my baseline for the office.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
You'll be fine.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

kitten smoothie posted:

I want to be comfortable during an all day interview loop. Am I going to be underdressed wearing nice slim fit jeans and a button down? Maybe throw on a jacket? That seems to pass for business formal in Palo Alto as far as I've seen.

My phone screen was over Skype with a company VP and he was wearing a hoodie so that's kind of my baseline for the office.
Someone recommended "one level above what you'll be expected to wear around the office." So if hoodies and T-shirts are de rigueur then wear a polo shirt. If polo shirts are the norm, wear a button down. That is, look like you care about your appearance enough, but don't overdo it and wear a three-piece suit.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Wear clean clothes which fit you which you're comfortable in which are more formal than pajamas and less formal than anything involving a tie.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Show up in morning dress just to be safe.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

sarehu posted:

Show up in mourning dress just to be safe.
Fixed that for you.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I suppose a good start might be to familiarize yourself with coreutils? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Core_Utilities

Thanks, I know a lot of these already as we use cygwin at my current job fairly heavily, but I'll check out the rest.

minato posted:

I'm kind of in the same boat, in that a job interview I've got coming up is going to quiz me on troubleshooting Linux performance so I have to learn this stuff fast.

Thanks! This is very helpful.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

bonds0097 posted:

I love working remotely. My schedule is incredibly flexible (spent last week in Europe and worked from Paris and London without taking any days off), my office is set up optimally for me without any distractions, and coworkers are always a phone call away via PBX or on IRC.

I would say that you should only work in a fully or mostly remote team so that everyone's in the same boat. Also, unless your team uses some creepy collaboration software where you all have cameras and mics trained on you all day, your level of social interaction with coworkers will necessarily be less than if you worked in an office. You'll possibly need to seek out social outlets outside of work more so than you would have before.

Personally, I'm never going back to an office.

Old post, but I agree with all of those. As long as you have outlets to get out of your house, working from home is great.

I would pose two caveats:

1) Situations where everyone else is co-located, but you are distributed, can be very difficult from a communication standpoint. You will have to fight to be consistently looped in, and even then you will miss important discussions that happen on a whim.
2) I'd be more concerned about the time difference. if you're only sharing 2 hours with the rest of your team, communication will be a huge challenge unless the work you are doing is defined VERY clearly. And the good stuff never is.

E: nvm these were covered already, but I guess +1

Lord Of Texas fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 11, 2015

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

Milotic posted:

Gonna supplement my original reply with this excellent documentation from RedHat (but it applies to most distros). It doesn't come at performance from "what's wrong, guide me through fixing it", it's more "here's things to look at to improve performance", but it's still a valuable foundation of the toolkit any Linux sysadmin would need to diagnose issues.

https://access.redhat.com/documenta...Linuxnbsp7.html

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004
Has anyone gone to AWS re:Invent before? Just wondering if people have found it valuable in the past.

The Witness
Jul 2, 2012
For all the older programmers here, what would you consider to be the essential skills that helped you throughout your careers over the years? Is there a specific combination of skills or habits that proved more rewarding than focusing on other skills?

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
Slashdot / ITWorld had a thread on that topic recently. (Skill #0: Don't read Slashdot)

http://ask.slashdot.org/story/15/06/01/1713203/ask-slashdot-what-do-you-wish-youd-known-starting-your-first-real-job

In general, clear communication and good task organization skills are very useful. Something they don't teach you in a CS degree.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

The Witness posted:

For all the older programmers here, what would you consider to be the essential skills that helped you throughout your careers over the years? Is there a specific combination of skills or habits that proved more rewarding than focusing on other skills?

Really understanding business value is #1 on the list. Meet with and listen to pretty much everyone you can in your company and customers. Sales, accounting, customer service, support, everyone. Listen to their problems and figure out how your projects can solve them. The best designed and written software in the world can be worthless if it solves the wrong problem. Understanding business value also allows you to understand the problems your boss has and lets you help solve them which makes you indispensable.

Clear communications and organization are probably #2 and #3.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

wins32767 posted:

Really understanding business value is #1 on the list. Meet with and listen to pretty much everyone you can in your company and customers. Sales, accounting, customer service, support, everyone. Listen to their problems and figure out how your projects can solve them. The best designed and written software in the world can be worthless if it solves the wrong problem. Understanding business value also allows you to understand the problems your boss has and lets you help solve them which makes you indispensable.

Clear communications and organization are probably #2 and #3.
As you talk to all those people, make sure you take direction on priority from people who understand the entire business (i.e. executives), because it doesn't do you any good to focus all your efforts on automating an underperforming division that's probably going to be gone next year anyway.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

The Witness posted:

The ability to eat poo poo and roll with the punches (while not loosing sight of my goals).

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Write poo poo down.

Dude wants you to have that done by Friday, and also make sure that it frobnicates the woozle? Write it down.

I've written a bunch of software that does everything but cover the one case that they specifically called out in the meeting so many times.

As a bonus, when performance review time comes around, you have a list of all the poo poo you did and what the impact was. My last review was mostly just copy and paste.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

zerofunk posted:

Has anyone gone to AWS re:Invent before? Just wondering if people have found it valuable in the past.

I went last year. It's neat as a cultural event to be part of the massive gathering. The sessions are excellent, but you can find them all online later. You can do some good networking there if you focus on it. They announce a lot of cool new things and you can come back to your office totally fired up about handing more cash to Bezos.

I felt it was pretty borderline because I don't gamble or party. The official AWS party featured Skrillex, but it was too loud and I went to bed before he ever came on. If you contact big vendors in advance, they will ply you with drinks and you can go shoot machine guns with strippers or other goofy stuff.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Paolomania posted:

The ability to eat poo poo and roll with the punches (while not loosing sight of my goals).

...and then being able to cash out on that come performance review time.

Failing that, negotiating skills when looking for a new job.

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004

Mniot posted:

I went last year. It's neat as a cultural event to be part of the massive gathering. The sessions are excellent, but you can find them all online later. You can do some good networking there if you focus on it. They announce a lot of cool new things and you can come back to your office totally fired up about handing more cash to Bezos.

I felt it was pretty borderline because I don't gamble or party. The official AWS party featured Skrillex, but it was too loud and I went to bed before he ever came on. If you contact big vendors in advance, they will ply you with drinks and you can go shoot machine guns with strippers or other goofy stuff.

Thanks. Kind of the on the fence about it. We don't use AWS right now (just some testing), but there's a strong possibility we'll start. Client requests for us to provide a hosted solution for our software instead of installing it on premise are picking up. On the other hand, this is probably at least two steps down the priority list on big things I should be looking at.

Some of the Bootcamps seem interesting. Not sure that I'd be able to get approval for the additional cost though.

mortarr
Apr 28, 2005

frozen meat at high speed

The Witness posted:

Like others have said, being able to talk to people - explaining technical poo poo in a way that makes sense in their context. Being able to think about big-picture stuff, as in: this system we're putting in now, lets also have a think about running it when it's five years in. Finding some aspect of whatever task that's interesting. Not being in a rush to do something - this one still trips me up now and then though!

It's funny that the communication and documentation side of what I do is something I find quite rewarding, but the framework those skills are built on was on stuff I learned in classes I hated with teachers I thought were crap.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

zerofunk posted:

Thanks. Kind of the on the fence about it. We don't use AWS right now (just some testing), but there's a strong possibility we'll start. Client requests for us to provide a hosted solution for our software instead of installing it on premise are picking up. On the other hand, this is probably at least two steps down the priority list on big things I should be looking at.

Some of the Bootcamps seem interesting. Not sure that I'd be able to get approval for the additional cost though.

I did a bootcamp and thought it was pretty mediocre, especially since they had some free self-run bootcamps at the main conference that were mostly the same. But AWS has a giant booth in the vendor hall where you can talk to their support staff, who were excellent. You can ask terrible questions like "uhh I need, like, a website and then it does some stuff in the background?" and they'll sketch everything out for you.

If you're near SF or NYC they host frequent free events on specific topics. All the ones I've been to were fantastic: they send the engineers who work on the product they're describing and they work hard to answer all your questions.

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004

Mniot posted:

I did a bootcamp and thought it was pretty mediocre, especially since they had some free self-run bootcamps at the main conference that were mostly the same. But AWS has a giant booth in the vendor hall where you can talk to their support staff, who were excellent. You can ask terrible questions like "uhh I need, like, a website and then it does some stuff in the background?" and they'll sketch everything out for you.

If you're near SF or NYC they host frequent free events on specific topics. All the ones I've been to were fantastic: they send the engineers who work on the product they're describing and they work hard to answer all your questions.

I'm guessing those are the Hands-on Labs? I was curious about that. The website doesn't provide much info on them.

I'm in London, so probably not nearly as many free events going on here. Although I think there may have been something earlier in the year. I'm from the US and will possibly be back in Atlanta around the time of the conference, so getting over to Vegas isn't quite as difficult as normal. That's really the only reason I'm looking at it.

I'll probably go ahead and put in a proposal for it. I don't think there is anything else that's coming up this year that I'd easily be able to get to.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Had a good interview yesterday, and the hiring manager at the end of the day basically asked how I felt about the place and what kind of convincing I'd need to join up. So I'm going to take that as a good sign.

Hopefully I can get out of this burnout-inducing project soon. In the last six weeks, 5 people on my team have turned in their notice. The wheels are coming off the bus fast.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

How many of you guys are presented (initially at least) with a contract that gives ownership of anything you come up with off-hours to the company? Actually the one on my desk right now also claims anything I might have ever come up with prior to my employment and fail to disclose.

So how common is this poo poo?

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Munkeymon posted:

How many of you guys are presented (initially at least) with a contract that gives ownership of anything you come up with off-hours to the company? Actually the one on my desk right now also claims anything I might have ever come up with prior to my employment and fail to disclose.

Cross it off, hand it back. If they refuse, demand a huge pay bump. If they refuse, run.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

bartkusa posted:

Cross it off, hand it back. If they refuse, demand a huge pay bump. If they refuse, run.

This is during an acquisition and I have a feeling that might lead to unemployment, which wouldn't be a disaster because I'm not a moron with my money, but still.

Marsol0
Jun 6, 2004
No avatar. I just saved you some load time. You're welcome.

Munkeymon posted:

I was lucky that my contract only specified code that I wrote on company computers belonged to the company. Everything else is mine. :D

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Munkeymon posted:

This is during an acquisition and I have a feeling that might lead to unemployment, which wouldn't be a disaster because I'm not a moron with my money, but still.

You're right, they'll probably refuse then. Time to decide how much you really like this job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Skandranon posted:

You're right, they'll probably refuse then. Time to decide how much you really like this job.

Not too terribly much considering I'm already looking for a new one.