Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

EponymousMrYar posted:

Hot Dog/Food Vendor carts have them. Large Garage+Gas Stations might have them as well, but RV's are probably your best source.

Found a Small Warehouse today practically filled with crates. They were all empty but the flatbed truck inside was in serviceable condition. More cargo carriers for my cargo carrying needs!

Hot Dog Carts are found fairly regularly in parks, if there's a couple nearby it's worth a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
pretty sure you can get a shitton of metal from just dismantling the gently caress out of a broken car, or lure some zombies through it and watch as they do the work for you.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Yeah, steel is never in short supply. The tools and power to work it, sure, but every vehicle is a ton of steel waiting to be used.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Tehan posted:

Yeah, steel is never in short supply. The tools and power to work it, sure, but every vehicle is a ton of steel waiting to be used.

if you ever find one of those car mountable welders tho you can mad-max like a fuckin' speedy demon, just pull up beside a car and weld its parts to your own like a car-frankenstine

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Burning building scenario start, lets see whats in st

:yikes:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

On the bright side they'll all be dead soon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Leal posted:

Burning building scenario start, lets see whats in st

:yikes:

Hahahaha the orphanage start is fun. On the plus side in one of the rooms you will find a quiver and an american flag on a table.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I killed a fat zombie with a thrown fire axe :madmax:

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed

OwlFancier posted:

Hahahaha the orphanage start is fun. On the plus side in one of the rooms you will find a quiver and an american flag on a table.

It's a reference to the Quiverfull movement, popularized by the Duggar family. Buncha yahoos keep shootin' out kids and never stop.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

rear end-Haggis posted:

It's a reference to the Quiverfull movement, popularized by the Duggar family. Buncha yahoos keep shootin' out kids and never stop.

Ah I wondered if it was a reference to something because it seemed like an odd spawn, quivers don't spawn normally outside of sporting goods stores.

I assumed it was a small orphanage given the layout but that explains why it's classed as residential.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I've stapled a welder to my electric car and it's not charging up. I do not understand.

On the other hand, I don't really need my car right now, because my current main objective is to find the recipe for purifier so I can get rid of my carnivore mutation. (And ideally enough mutagen to cross the lizard threshold.)

If it's actually a vehicle welding rig (your syntax was a little unclear) it now runs directly off the car battery. It might need to have an actual storage battery somewhere in the car, but I think that's a natural state for electric cars.

If it's the car that's not charging up, check your solar panels, check the weather, otherwise I dunno. :shrug:

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Not played this in a while, gonna check it out again. Where's the tiles version at?
e: got it

StabMasterArson fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 16, 2015

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Artificer posted:

Anyone have any ideas on where I can find a minifridge recipe? Or find a minifridge? That's like the last thing on my list to finish the modules on my ambulance.

I found one in a pawnshop in my most recent game.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

StabMasterArson posted:

Not played this in a while, gonna check it out again. Where's the tiles version at?

It's in the main game, you can select which tileset you want in the options

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
What's this small 'w' on my map... 'small warehouse', huh? Let's go check it ou...

:aaa:

awrite, let's get to work! surely all these boxes contain some good stu...

:saddowns:

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
My last survivor lasted 28 days without ever finding a skill book that goes above level 3(more or less). The lack of good recipes made everything much harder. I was using a longbow and metal arrows most of the time which did basically 8 or 10 damage, basically nothing compared to a half decent melee weapon. Took ages to clear out a hospital filled with Huge Boomers. How much better is the reflex recurve bow?

On the plus side I found a bull whip early in the game so my melee and marksmanship was absurdly high.

Ended up being killed by a Feral Predator who slashed me in the gut. I slowly bled out trying to make it back to my house for bandages.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Always, always carry a few bandages with you. Ideally a couple first aid kits too, if you have them.

Archery is literally the single most awful combat skill in the game to get rolling. With gun skills you can at least use a variety of different scavenged firearms and ammo types and eventually get sustainable with crazy UPS-fed energy weapons and pneumatic pebble guns (or you can craft bullets all day if you hate yourself I guess), but all the recipes needed to make good bows, crossbows, arrows, and bolts are scattered around in multiple different uncommon books and you have to get to like 4 or 5 archery and fabrication to use them, which is an enormous chore when you just want to shoot some loving things with arrows and your lovely small game arrows and self bow are only useful against squirrels.

Archery is Bad in its current implementation; it's really powerful later but just straight up do not start a character out as an archer, it's not worth the headache. Focus on something else at first and branch into archery if the stars align and you get a good opportunity to go for it.

You've got bad luck, those places often contain a flatbed truck in pretty good condition. AFAIK the crates are always empty, but they're great as an easy source of nails and lumber. You can also run around disassembling them all to easily hit your first Construction level and turn fewer 2x4s into splintered wood. The layout of the building makes it a decent hideout, too - the garage door and large open space makes it perfect as a general crafting and vehicle modification safehouse.

My highly successful Robocop character started out in a shelter with one of those garages directly to the south, and it had a near-functional truck in it. I got a lot of good use out of that garage before I finally went all-out nomadic and roamed the world in a solar-powered police car.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 16, 2015

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Yeah that'll be my base for the forseeable future, fo sho

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Foodahn posted:

How much better is the reflex recurve bow?

Take a look.

Also of note possibly - you will probably need to train archery up with a blowgun though.

e: if we ever start the topic over we need to stick the item browser in the first post

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 16, 2015

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Foodahn posted:

My last survivor lasted 28 days without ever finding a skill book that goes above level 3(more or less). The lack of good recipes made everything much harder. I was using a longbow and metal arrows most of the time which did basically 8 or 10 damage, basically nothing compared to a half decent melee weapon. Took ages to clear out a hospital filled with Huge Boomers. How much better is the reflex recurve bow?

On the plus side I found a bull whip early in the game so my melee and marksmanship was absurdly high.

Ended up being killed by a Feral Predator who slashed me in the gut. I slowly bled out trying to make it back to my house for bandages.

If you ever find yourself desperate for a bandage like that again you can use rags to help stop the bleeding, or cauterize the wounds with a blade and a lighter.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

girth brooks part 2 posted:

If you ever find yourself desperate for a bandage like that again you can use rags to help stop the bleeding, or cauterize the wounds with a blade and a lighter.

You can also break into a house and tear up pillows or down comfortors for cotton balls, I think.

e: wait no they're stuffed with down.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 16, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I'm going to start to try to cover my car in hard plating. 24 lumps of steel per plate. This is gonna take forever. Hope it's worth it though.

Also I'm noticing that though my spike plating in the front of my car is still in decent shape, the batteries and stuff beneath it still sometimes get damaged, what's up with that?

And does anyone know if you need to cover the middle of your car with armor too, or are just the outside edges and borders sufficient?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Armor as designed is supposed to protect components in its same tile, but I've read conflicting reports on its efficacy and it certainly doesn't stop my headlights from getting bashed out past three other tiles of plating and rams; the specifics may vary on your game version, from what I read, but essentially armor when it was first introduced was mostly cosmetic, and may or may not work right in the stable version (and obviously isn't a perfect answer there either way). It seems like moving too fast or taking turns in crowded areas causes parts well behind the front of the vehicle to take hits more often; based on the advice I've seen going around and my own experiments, your best bet is probably to make sure everything delicate on the vehicle is behind two or three tiles of armor-plated rollers and rams and such and to drive at modest speeds in straight cardinal lines as much as possible.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Armor as designed is supposed to protect components in its same tile, but I've read conflicting reports on its efficacy and it certainly doesn't stop my headlights from getting bashed out past three other tiles of plating and rams; the specifics may vary on your game version, from what I read, but essentially armor when it was first introduced was mostly cosmetic, and may or may not work right in the stable version (and obviously isn't a perfect answer there either way). It seems like moving too fast or taking turns in crowded areas causes parts well behind the front of the vehicle to take hits more often; based on the advice I've seen going around and my own experiments, your best bet is probably to make sure everything delicate on the vehicle is behind two or three tiles of armor-plated rollers and rams and such and to drive at modest speeds in straight cardinal lines as much as possible.

Oh. Christ. So that means I should probably armor up the tiles inside the outer border of frames and plates too.

gently caress it. I'll see what I can do before my patience runs out. Maybe I'll just use steel plating instead of hard plating, especially if even the hardest of plating has an armor value of "may or may not work."

This is made difficult by the fact that batch build for all the ingredients and parts necessary for steel/hard plating is impossible for some dumb reason.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Maybe try finding and retrofitting a military vehicle (APC, humvee, whatever) instead of doing it all from scratch? They start out built from heavy-duty frames with military composite armor, the latter in particular I don't think is even craftable.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Maybe try finding and retrofitting a military vehicle (APC, humvee, whatever) instead of doing it all from scratch? They start out built from heavy-duty frames with military composite armor, the latter in particular I don't think is even craftable.

:downs: I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'll give that a go too. In the meantime steel plating will do just fine I think.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
I have a recharging station, foodco, kitchen'n'faucet, chemlab, and a mounted electric forge in my RV. Are there any other must-have vehicle rigs? I know there's still a welding rig. But am I good to go in filling up every other space with cargo holds or are there rigs I should be trying to get?

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

How do I go about finding labs and military bases?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Welding Rig definitely.

Armor according to the wiki (I think) just adds/modifies the HP of the parts in the same tile. Meaning that they'll last longer but weaker items will still tend to get busted up first. I tend to check my vehicle often and repair anything that gets yellow.

Also being a tile game with vehicles it's a bit wonky with where you're actually taking damage sometime. About the only tiles that haven't taken damage are the ones at the very center of my vehicle.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Grimman007 posted:

How do I go about finding labs and military bases?

Get binoculars and wander around, it shouldn't take long. Having a vehicle makes it even easier.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc
Also, bunkers seem to be much rarer than labs are. I havent seen one of those in quite a while.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Oh I almost forgot, there are a variety of single-use map items that help you get the lay of the land. Road maps are the best, because you can look for dead ends and there's always something interesting there, but there are also military ones, restaurant maps, and probably a few others.

Similarly, follow roads to their end if you want to find human-built endgame content. (Triffids/Fungaloids/Blobs are another story, of course.)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Wait wait I just noticed the under-barrel laser sight adds -1 To Hit bonus.

Is negative to hit good?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

Wait wait I just noticed the under-barrel laser sight adds -1 To Hit bonus.

Is negative to hit good?

that's what it looks like.
is cataclysm THAC0?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

senae posted:

that's what it looks like.
is cataclysm THAC0?

I'm not sure what the answer is, but it's worth nothing that Cataclysm has had several different iterations of its to-hit system, which use different notations, and in the transition from one to the next they don't always catch all of the text that's no longer accurate. I know for a fact it was the case with certain gun mods re: accuracy vs. dispersion, wouldn't surprise me if there's some screwiness there too.

It's also possible that the -1 to hit indicates less accuracy with an attached bayonet or using the gun as a club, since the accuracy of how the gun fires should (in theory) be measured in dispersion and recoil, not to-hit.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

And of course as I get enough steel and am close to finishing my armor plates....I stumble on an APC with a full set of composite armor, armor wheels, and reinforced headlights. :saddowns:

I found a hotdog cart but the fridge was broken. The other parks so far are just basketball courts so I dont think the hotdog carts spawn there. I will keep looking.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 17, 2015

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Are NPCs supposed to be so regoddamndiculous? I've read about people getting headshotted from a burst pistol from across the screen but my beef with them is that they're way too drat good at killing zombies. If I run into one in town they just murder every single zombie that was chasing me then goes and clears a few more blocks of zombies for good measure.

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Get binoculars and wander around, it shouldn't take long. Having a vehicle makes it even easier.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Oh I almost forgot, there are a variety of single-use map items that help you get the lay of the land. Road maps are the best, because you can look for dead ends and there's always something interesting there, but there are also military ones, restaurant maps, and probably a few others.

Similarly, follow roads to their end if you want to find human-built endgame content. (Triffids/Fungaloids/Blobs are another story, of course.)

Where, exactly, do these things spawn, because I don't want to go out and get murdered by the 12 packs of zombies in the town I'm exploring.

Thank you for the help by the way!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Grimman007 posted:

Where, exactly, do these things spawn, because I don't want to go out and get murdered by the 12 packs of zombies in the town I'm exploring.

Not sure about the others but road maps can be found in gas stations (so long as they spawn with an actual building and aren't just a bunch of pumps along the road).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Grimman007 posted:

Road maps are most likely to spawn in gas stations, but rarely in other stores. For binoculars you probably want sporting goods or military surplus.