Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Veotax posted:

No, I'm pretty sure that's the intro to the game. They just tacked on the 'PS4 exclusive Scarecrow missions' thing because it was the Sony press conference. That didn't really look anything like the Scarecrow missions from the trailer that was released for them.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Lotsa hints at planned side missions in that intro, though- and probably some easter egg code thingy in one frame somewhere like the last few.

edit: for one thing, one of the newspapers is mentioning a "corporation killer"- some sort of serial killer that I am guessing is Hush. There were a few others, plus generic headlines about things like the Wayne Foundation pledging $300 million to help rebuild the area that Arkham City occupied.

(Again, this isn't Crazy Fascist Batman, it's My Day Job is Crime Prevention Social Welfare Batman)

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 16, 2015

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Discendo Vox posted:

Lotsa hints at planned side missions in that intro, though- and probably some easter egg code thingy in one frame somewhere like the last few.
I'm guessing Pauli's Diner flickering sign is reference to Paul Dini, Henry Adams is missing, but no idea who he is, there are loads of newspapers and signs, but, frankly, I'm not one to freeze frame through stuff. One very nice touch was 'Only you' playing in the Diner.

So excited for this, and it will arrive whilst I'm out of the country :(

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

FadedReality posted:

Someone found a way to get the PS3 exclusive Knightfall DLC working on PC. I'm not sure if linking to a Steam guide with files not even intended to be available on the platform counts as :filez: so just go look at the Steam guide for it. Apparently trying to use the Bruce Wayne Initiation skins on the Knightfall challenge maps crashes the game because of how it's implemented but otherwise it appears to work perfectly fine. I can finally live out my dream to beat up mans in the best most gaudy Batman costume ever.

In case anyone is overlooking this post, you also get the Adam West skin.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Got to admit this is the first time I'm going to wait a little before getting an Arkham game and see what the reviews say, before jumping in at full price. The more I think about it the less enthused I am with the vehicular and tag-team stuff. Hopefully those features aren't as big a part of the game as I think they are.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Henry Adams is Arkham Night.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
In a surprising twist, the Arkham Knight is Black Mask and he usurps the title of main villain from Scarecrow.

poptart_fairy posted:

Got to admit this is the first time I'm going to wait a little before getting an Arkham game and see what the reviews say, before jumping in at full price. The more I think about it the less enthused I am with the vehicular and tag-team stuff. Hopefully those features aren't as big a part of the game as I think they are.

What's wrong with the tag-teaming?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh nothing's wrong with it as such, I'm just not really a fan of swapping between characters and the like even if it's just for special abilities - I've got a similar problem getting into party based RPGs as I prefer only have one dude-lady I'm playing as or keeping track of. I may well have misunderstood how the system works here though.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
tag-teaming is completely optional. The other character will still be in the fight but from what I've seen it looks like they stay out of your way so they won't ruin your sick combo.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

CharlestonJew posted:

tag-teaming is completely optional. The other character will still be in the fight but from what I've seen it looks like they stay out of your way so they won't ruin your sick combo.

Which, to me, just begs the question, why do it in the first place?

That being said, maybe it works really well in the game. Maybe it flows incredibly well and feels like an elegant extension of the combat system. God knows when they were like "Oh, combat is just two buttons", I thought it was dumb and I was wrong then. But to me, at this moment, it just feels like the shock gloves; an optional add-on that doesn't really add anything. But I also haven't played the game and haven't seen anything of it aside from what's been shown in trailers. And just based on that, right now I feel like it's kinda dumb.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Fury Firefly Demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOuIs3zp9Wc

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Crappy Jack posted:

That being said, maybe it works really well in the game. Maybe it flows incredibly well and feels like an elegant extension of the combat system. God knows when they were like "Oh, combat is just two buttons", I thought it was dumb and I was wrong then. But to me, at this moment, it just feels like the shock gloves; an optional add-on that doesn't really add anything. But I also haven't played the game and haven't seen anything of it aside from what's been shown in trailers. And just based on that, right now I feel like it's kinda dumb.

If I had to guess, character swapping is additional score/XP potential. Remember, variation bonuses are a thing. Integrating more moves into your combo gets you more points. It stands to reason that if you do each move on a character once, and then swap to the other and use their moveset, it counts as separate things for the purposes of incrementing that bonus.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I can't believe they spoiled some of the game's intro at Sony's E3 thing, but that sequence looked pretty cool and intense. Hopefully there is tons of stuff like that throughout the game.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

That E3 footage is great. The GCPD stuff is sick.

Also the stuff they showed during the E3 conference is indeed the first four minutes of the game

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I'm not real clear on what it was about Joker that was stopping villains from working together before. I mean, I understand why they weren't working with Joker, but what would he care about any of the others working together? I thought the fact that all the villains are assholes who can't get along was what was stopping them from working together.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CuwiKhons posted:

I'm not real clear on what it was about Joker that was stopping villains from working together before. I mean, I understand why they weren't working with Joker, but what would he care about any of the others working together? I thought the fact that all the villains are assholes who can't get along was what was stopping them from working together.

because the joker would always gently caress things up for personal amusement and/or a chance to kill or gently caress with batman.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

CuwiKhons posted:

If all the villains teamed up and didn't invite Joker he'd get pissed and gently caress them all up

If all the villains teamed up and invited Joker he'd gently caress them all up because its funny

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because the joker would always gently caress things up for personal amusement and/or a chance to kill or gently caress batman.

FTFY

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Alright I see your point, but I still find it odd that nobody thought "conflicting personalities" was also at work there. I mean, Penguin and Two-Face spent the entirety of Arkham City trying to kill each other and now I guess they're bros???

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I got to play a bit of Akrham at the conference if people want answers to some questions:

The "team-up" stuff is only specific missions it seems. You hear about it beforehand and Nightwing or whoever shows up. You get a new Takedown which swaps between characters.

The biggest change to predator mode (in the demo) is the fear mechanic being a bit more important. You charge your Fear bar by doing regular takedowns and can use it to use multi-takedowns. There are also now different kinds of predator modes. (The demo one was a bank robbery where your loud takedowns couldn't be heard but the criminals were grabbing money and looting so if you were too slow they got away and you failed.)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

Alright I see your point, but I still find it odd that nobody thought "conflicting personalities" was also at work there. I mean, Penguin and Two-Face spent the entirety of Arkham City trying to kill each other and now I guess they're bros???

It's apparently explained in the tie-in comics. Then again, Harley decided to work with Penguin on a whim and pretty much won him over with a kiss, so there's that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CuwiKhons posted:

I assume its "gently caress it, we work together to take advantage of scarecrow's plan and help kill the bat, then once we take over, we can "sort out" our difference"

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Fair enough.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
in that gameplay demo did Batman just knock out that Riddler informant then immediately run him over with the Batmobile?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Crappy Jack posted:

Because...it's cool? Is that not the reason for most of it all? Why bother updating the graphics when the game will still play the same regardless? Because it looks cool. Why add the Batmobile? It's cool. I don't think there really needs to be motive behind adding gameplay mechanics besides "it will be fun". Sure this one random guy might not like the idea of fighting along side and switching to Robin, but the minority is getting outvoted in this case.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
When do reviews start popping up? To be honest I thought they'd be up by now but maybe they're waiting until E3 news stops dominating the headlines.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

in that gameplay demo did Batman just knock out that Riddler informant then immediately run him over with the Batmobile?

I think you'll find that he was harmlessly tazed out of the way. :v:

But seriously, that guy is dead.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 17, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I got to play a bit of Akrham at the conference if people want answers to some questions:

The "team-up" stuff is only specific missions it seems. You hear about it beforehand and Nightwing or whoever shows up. You get a new Takedown which swaps between characters.

The biggest change to predator mode (in the demo) is the fear mechanic being a bit more important. You charge your Fear bar by doing regular takedowns and can use it to use multi-takedowns. There are also now different kinds of predator modes. (The demo one was a bank robbery where your loud takedowns couldn't be heard but the criminals were grabbing money and looting so if you were too slow they got away and you failed.)

Did you get to try the challenge rooms? Is the team-up stuff there, and can you pick and choose what you want from it? (e.g. choosing to go solo or picking one of the four team-ups?)

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

SonicRulez posted:

Because...it's cool? Is that not the reason for most of it all? Why bother updating the graphics when the game will still play the same regardless? Because it looks cool. Why add the Batmobile? It's cool. I don't think there really needs to be motive behind adding gameplay mechanics besides "it will be fun". Sure this one random guy might not like the idea of fighting along side and switching to Robin, but the minority is getting outvoted in this case.

Seriously, I'm surprised to see some many people against adding a little character variety to the gameplay. Especially when it's a game based around Batman who's had more side-kicks/partners than any other character in comics.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

LOL!

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm most surprised that they acknowledged Arkham Origins exists in that video. They talked about the evidence room having stuff from all three previous games!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Someone in the comments on that video said that Firefly says something to the effect of "You'll pay for leaving me on that bridge" during the video, though I couldn't confirm that myself.

If that's true, that's weird. You'd think Batman would have fought Firefly more than once.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Someone in the comments on that video said that Firefly says something to the effect of "You'll pay for leaving me on that bridge" during the video, though I couldn't confirm that myself.

If that's true, that's weird. You'd think Batman would have fought Firefly more than once.

Look, that time really stung, ok? He just wanted Bats to carry him off into the sunset like Joker, is that too much to ask?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

Did you get to try the challenge rooms? Is the team-up stuff there, and can you pick and choose what you want from it? (e.g. choosing to go solo or picking one of the four team-ups?)

Nope. They tossed you into the open world.

The Batmobile is not optional, you need it for missions and solving puzzles, but you still have all of Batman's mobility options including the glide and the super-speed grapple so I actually ended up just flying over most of the drat city when trying to get around.

Thug dialogue is now subtitled from a pretty ridiculous distance which is nice.

Remote hacking is no longer a minigame. Might be disappointing to people but it was just press-and-go from what I saw.

Two-Face, Penguin and I believe Black Mask based sidemissions. Firefly boss fight as people already know.

A weird side effect of how they're doing the game is that all the people on the streets are thugs, including the people driving around in lovely town cars or whatever. I saw someone ram into a car and send it skittering before like eight thugs piled out like it was a clown car. It was sort of hilarious honestly.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Hmmm... so I guess they have contrived a different reason for all civilians to be off the streets in this one. Scarecrow gas attack I am guessing

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I dunno, that's actually less contrived than the snowstorm. If I knew a terrorist was in the city dropping fear gas bombs everywhere, I'd head for the hills too.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Hmmm... so I guess they have contrived a different reason for all civilians to be off the streets in this one. Scarecrow gas attack I am guessing

If you look, in some of the videos and probably screenshots, there are street signs lit up with "MANDATORY EVACUATION", so yeah. Exactly.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

A weird side effect of how they're doing the game is that all the people on the streets are thugs, including the people driving around in lovely town cars or whatever. I saw someone ram into a car and send it skittering before like eight thugs piled out like it was a clown car. It was sort of hilarious honestly.

Joker confirmed.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Is somebody going to make a new thread for release? This one is both pretty chunky and primarily about Origins. We're a week away now so if somebody's got the time and desire, they should probably get hoppin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

CuwiKhons posted:

Is somebody going to make a new thread for release? This one is both pretty chunky and primarily about Origins. We're a week away now so if somebody's got the time and desire, they should probably get hoppin'.

How about you? Are you a bad enough dude to make a new Batman thread?

• Locked thread