Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ephemeron posted:

What would be more lethal: a Cipher with a level in Rogue, or a Rogue with a level in Barbarian?

Cipher with Rogue since you can mass CC and sneak attack everything on the battlefield. While Carnage would be nice you'd more than likely miss out on the sneak attacks with your carnage attacks and that's where most of your damage comes from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Speaking of carnage, I just tried the combination of petrification and Heart of Fury.

Fun for you and everyone around you.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Rogue works with pretty much everything, like. drat that is a very well designed class. Carnage seems to be a no brainer, Flames of Devotion would be nice for MEGA DAMAGE bursts but I think I'd take some fighter levels for Weapon Spec.+Mastery and maybe Confident Aim / +Accuracy buff like the dull person I am.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
You're missing the best combo - rogue+monk.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
The best combo is a Rogue + more Rogue levels. :colbert:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Galewolf posted:

Rogue works with pretty much everything, like. drat that is a very well designed class. Carnage seems to be a no brainer, Flames of Devotion would be nice for MEGA DAMAGE bursts but I think I'd take some fighter levels for Weapon Spec.+Mastery and maybe Confident Aim / +Accuracy buff like the dull person I am.
Yes it is an auto attack class, they are very easy to design! I still doubt that was his intent though, RIP SNEAK ATTACK

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
You guys are all wrong. Barbarian with a level in wizarding for even more jolting touches.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Rascyc posted:

Yes it is an auto attack class, they are very easy to design! I still doubt that was his intent though, RIP SNEAK ATTACK

I think the good design here is to let every mob suspectible to sneak attack. I can imagine Rogue being lot less cool if it wasn't possible to Sneak Attack undead or constructs. I wonder if it was intentional to make Sneak Attacks work like that. Regardless, I like this system where I can Blind or Charm undead or Sneak Attack elementals.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Wizard Styles posted:

The best combo is a Rogue + more Rogue levels. :colbert:

Bard + Barbarian + RDD + Blackguard was my favorite bullshit NWN2 build.

But Chanters are basically that already soooo :love:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Galewolf posted:

I think the good design here is to let every mob suspectible to sneak attack. I can imagine Rogue being lot less cool if it wasn't possible to Sneak Attack undead or constructs. I wonder if it was intentional to make Sneak Attacks work like that. Regardless, I like this system where I can Blind or Charm undead or Sneak Attack elementals.

That was exactly what made Rogues useless in D&D3.x, so not surprised they fixed that.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah, the rogues were designed to give them a huge amount of opportunities for Sneak Attack damage. They have abilities that cause the qualifying conditions and they can take advantage of those conditions if someone else causes them (e.g. a fighter using Knock Down). They can personally flank or they can just take advantage of the Flanked condition being caused by allies.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

rope kid posted:

Yeah, the rogues were designed to give them a huge amount of opportunities for Sneak Attack damage. They have abilities that cause the qualifying conditions and they can take advantage of those conditions if someone else causes them (e.g. a fighter using Knock Down). They can personally flank or they can just take advantage of the Flanked condition being caused by allies.
Rogues instagibbing giant HP tanks is the best design decision ever, A+

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Rogues instagibbing giant HP tanks is the best design decision ever, A+

When that happens, I really wish it would trigger Minsc's "wa-HEY!" :3:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Galewolf posted:

God yes the undead construct poo poo was AWFUL.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Paradox presenting on the PC Gamer conference in thirty minutes, Pillars of Eternity expansion probably making an appearance.

http://www.twitch.tv/pcgamer

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
gently caress yeah the White March, connected to Caed Nua and going up to Durgan's Battery, soulbound weapons, new companions and abilities, new level cap, get the gently caress in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a05OrRrR2Q

Paracausal fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 17, 2015

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

TG-Chrono posted:

gently caress yeah the White March, connected to Caed Nua and going up to Durgan's Battery, soulbound weapons, new companions and abilities, new level cap, get the gently caress in.

Did you get that little "6 classes lets do 11?" comment too? Wonder if that was legit, or just an example exaggeration. Either way, Im hyped as gently caress.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Nothing much talked about but wee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a05OrRrR2Q

Scorchy fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 17, 2015

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
"New stuff", also it's set in a place with snow.

I'm OK with this. Snow is good.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Hm the pillars of eternity in the logo are not pillars of eternity any more

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Scorchy posted:

Hm the pillars of eternity in the logo are not pillars of eternity any more
Maybe wherever they are located has seasons and its incidentally winter and the pillars are rime covered, coinciding with when we visit the snow zone.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Part I eh?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
They've said that the expansion will be divided into two parts for months now.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I was hoping for not-Venice land but I'm sure ice land will be cool too. Good luck rope's kid though you guys don't need it

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
New companions is cool but I hope there's some content for the existing ones too. Expansion is a good opportunity to take a companion who maybe got a bit short changed content wise and give them a chance to shine some more. Regardless, I'm a fan of all that frost and ice stuff.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Argh, tied to Caed Nua??? Dammit

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Pretty sure Caed Nua is the breadcrumb to the new area

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
I just went to the cliffs to help Sagani find the person she is looking for, and after we realized he wasn't there she asked me how well I know some guy I had never heard of before and all of my dialogue seemed to indicate I was supposed to know who the heck she was talking about. I'm really confused right now.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Finally trying this out. The information is a bit unclear but I am trying to recreate my DnD Elf Monk. Is unarmed viable through the game or will enchanting items mean my MEAT HANDS will lose their luster?

Also, if I make a Chanter, how much of a minion master can I make? I want to swarm people with some little gross pets.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Fists are pretty much one of the best weapons in the game, but the power comes at particular levels.

Chanters have the best summons, takes some time to build up phrases to actually do the summoning though, so expect them to come out in the middle of combat or towards the end (if at all). There's no talents for this and your summons are limited 1 per Chanter (I think it's per chanter anyway).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

derra posted:

Pretty sure Caed Nua is the breadcrumb to the new area
Yeah, it's just the launching point.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Inzombiac posted:

Finally trying this out. The information is a bit unclear but I am trying to recreate my DnD Elf Monk. Is unarmed viable through the game or will enchanting items mean my MEAT HANDS will lose their luster?

Also, if I make a Chanter, how much of a minion master can I make? I want to swarm people with some little gross pets.

Your meat hands level up and are actually REALLY good. Fast attack rate plus high damage and you can spec them to do crazy poo poo.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

rope kid posted:

Yeah, it's just the launching point.

Good that people finally recognize that the player has control of a large fortress which would allow control of the surrounding area.

So what is this durgan steel, is it anything like wootz? Some magically produced steel stronger than all other known steels?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Merdifex posted:

So what is this durgan steel, is it anything like wootz? Some magically produced steel stronger than all other known steels?
I don't know how much magic is involved, although judging by the trailer I'm guessing some soul-related stuff is in there somewhere. What I remember from the Something Secret quest is that it's really strong and they don't make it anymore.

On that note, Gordy's gonna be so pumped about this.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Durgan steel is mentioned in a few places in the core game lore. It's not inherently magical, but it is extremely high quality steel that was produced through unknown techniques, only in the White Forge of Durgan's Battery.

There's at least one (maybe only one) weapon in the base game made of Durgan steel, the Last Blade of the White Forge.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/cgi-bin/search/banshee_search.pl?_layout=Pillars_Items_Page&_cgifunction=search&Pillars_Items.id=564

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ahh, Gamebanshee.com

The finest Kickstarter contributor.

Wonder if the Keep mechanics will be improved at all for this?

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 17, 2015

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Wizard Styles posted:

I don't know how much magic is involved, although judging by the trailer I'm guessing some soul-related stuff is in there somewhere. What I remember from the Something Secret quest is that it's really strong and they don't make it anymore.

I remember rope kid answering a question somewhere about the various steels available in the Eastern March, and that some steels were magically produced and had soul magic involved IIRC, so I'm guessing durgan steel is an improved version of that or can produce it on a much larger scale.

EDIT: nvm, rope kid cleared it up

BTW, one question I had, does the Dyrwood see a lot of gunpowder siege weapons like cannon or bombards? It seems to me that a lot of the fortresses we see like Caed Nua and Raedric's Keep wouldn't fare well against those sorts of weapons. Have the Dyrwoodans not had the time to adapt or have they not seen the need?

Merdifex fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 17, 2015

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Pallegina comments about that at one point when you return to Caed Nua. She refers to it as a fine castle built in "the old style", and that the Vailian Republics have started building star forts (like the Ozian Bastions) to deal with cannon fire.

Caed Nua and Raedric's Hold were built when cannons were in use, but were not considered as big of a threat in the deeper forests -- and no one had yet designed the star fort on Eora.

Historically (on Earth, I mean), retrofitting old castles to deal with cannon fire took a huge amount of time and money, but new castles (in the Renaissance), especially built on coasts, were often built in the star fort style.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 17, 2015

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
Another question, if I may, have the Dyrwoodans taken to producing their own gunpowder? If so, do they procure saltpetre through animal waste or do they have minable deposits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I don't think that's anything that we've defined specifically in the Dyrwood but gunpowder has been around long enough that they probably produce it relatively locally.

• Locked thread