Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

computer parts posted:

Do you mean no backstory as in you have multiple options that can fit into the story just fine? Because tons of games would fulfill that. Pillars of Eternity would count because you can be any sort of class and work through the game, even if your past life is very important.

You are forced into the track of "you are a watcher" regardless of any other choices, no blank canvas there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

The problem with Bethesda placing more specific story to focus you character on is that it limits the player's imagination. Fallout at it's heart is basically a tabletop roleplaying game converted into a video game, and part of that is being able to create a unique character for every playthrough. In Fallout 1 and 2, the backstory is just that you grew up in a vault and a tribe, respectively, everything else was up to you.

Then in Fallout 3, your whole childhood is written out for you, forcing you to be friends with the overseer's daughter, bullied by a gang of greasers, and having Liam Neeson as your only parent. All you could really choose was whether you were super nice or a grade-A rear end in a top hat.

New Vegas goes back to the freedom of origin with the only thing about you was that you got hired to deliver a package and shot in the head by an rear end in a top hat in a checkered suit. Not only that, but with the diverse background of the west coast, you could be basically anyone. Maybe you're a vagrant, or a forgotten NCR veteran, or a former raider, or a tribal who's taken to civilization. The only limit is your imagination.

From what Fallout 4 looks like, there's no freedom of background. You are a middle class pre-war man/woman with a heterosexual spouse and a newborn child. You got picked for a vault, and somehow end up 200 years in the future (gonna suggest cryogenics). Maybe you can come up with a few things, but chances are there's going to be flashbacks showing even more.

Sorry for ranting.

Also, I've been playing Fallout Shelter, and it's alright. Anyone else try it out?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Praetorian Mage posted:

That's the problem - I don't want to have to tell everyone to get hosed. I'd rather not be in that position in the first place. What I'm anticipating is that people playing good characters will be forced to pick the "I miss my spouse and kid" dialogue options or risk being inconsistent with the rest of their character's behavior. Sure, you could be an rear end in a top hat who says "gently caress my family" because you're an rear end in a top hat, but what if you want to be a good guy who just didn't go for the whole "wife and kids" thing?

Personally, I'd much prefer if games like this gave you a chance to build your backstory from some different options during character creation. Kind of like what they did with Mass Effect, but with more options. I think that would be a much bigger innovation than just giving your character a voice actor.

I dunno, don't talk to people who ask you about your wife and kid I guess?

Or pick the "yeah it's sad they died but welp can't do anything about it" option which I imagine will be present, it's not as though bethesda only ever includes gently caress YOU and Counselor Troi dialogue options.

Mass effect gave you like, three options which affected maybe two or three throwaway lines in the entire game so I don't really think there's much difference there.

It seems relatively inconsequential whether or not you care about your dead wife and kid given everything else you end up doing in the average bethsoft game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

closeted republican posted:

It's a Bethesda game, ignoring the main plot to go build Kickass City is just fine. I mean, how many people actually completed Oblivion and Skyrim's main quests?

The Steam achievements let you see exactly how many. Out of all owners of the game, only 28% of players completed the final main quest. poo poo, less than 3/4 of all players even absorbed a dragon soul (you can gently caress off and ignore the main quest before even unlocking Shouts).

For comparison, on New Vegas, 13.2% of players completed the Wild Card ending, 7% completed the House ending, 7.4% completed the NCR ending, and 4.4% completed the Legion ending. This doesn't show how many players in total completed the game (since multiple completions of the game with multiple endings aren't accounted for), but it's still pretty normal for 1/3 or fewer of the players to actually beat the main quest.

nonazis
Oct 13, 2014

The ants. They're everywhere, man. Big fuckers.
Ok, so, I got caught up in the moment and spent an extra $70 on the pip-boy pre order thing. Should I un-pre-order it? I mean, the creators themselves called it a lovely gimmick (after I ordered it, of course). Also, is Fallout 3 for xbox one bundled with all Fallout 4 editions, or only certain ones? Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, I'm just a stupid person.

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Let's be honest each other, with ourselves, with T. Howard: The game needs crotch shots. Like, I realize that somebody out there is spitting out their Ramune and insisting that head shots are the only thing that really "matter" in targeted combat, but the reality is that the best way to shoot somebody is not necessarily the best way to kill them. Unreal Tournament '99 had a community-made mutator that added "crotch shots" and it was always at the top of THE list.

The game also needs targeted melee, predominately for targeted melee crotch shots.

I wholeheartedly support this idea.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Let's be honest each other, with ourselves, with T. Howard: The game needs crotch shots. Like, I realize that somebody out there is spitting out their Ramune and insisting that head shots are the only thing that really "matter" in targeted combat, but the reality is that the best way to shoot somebody is not necessarily the best way to kill them. Unreal Tournament '99 had a community-made mutator that added "crotch shots" and it was always at the top of THE list.

The game also needs targeted melee, predominately for targeted melee crotch shots.

Let's just cut out the middle man. Pull a Saints Row 3 and just have a button for hitting people in the crotch.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Being able to target and groin also need to come back and are essential to the Fallout experience.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
could the vault experiment be that you're a clone of the guy?

either way i don't like that the baby dies

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

spoiler: the babby is alive

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

The spouse comes back as a ghoul.

E: gently caress, that should be why you're 200 plus years old. You should be a ghoul in this game.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno, don't talk to people who ask you about your wife and kid I guess?
Leaving aside the fact that you'll have no way of knowing who those people are until after they've said something, I'm still confident that the main plot will be full of those people.

OwlFancier posted:

Or pick the "yeah it's sad they died but welp can't do anything about it" option which I imagine will be present, it's not as though bethesda only ever includes gently caress YOU and Counselor Troi dialogue options.
I'd certainly appreciate it if Bethesda did make things more nuanced, but they don't exactly have a good track record on that.

OwlFancier posted:

Mass effect gave you like, three options which affected maybe two or three throwaway lines in the entire game so I don't really think there's much difference there.
Which is why I specifically said I wanted more options than what Mass Effect offered.

OwlFancier posted:

It seems relatively inconsequential whether or not you care about your dead wife and kid given everything else you end up doing in the average bethsoft game.
I doubt it will be inconsequential to the main plot, or even a number of subplots.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

megalodong posted:

Mr Bibs is an exceptional gimmick account but you really shouldn't take him seriously.

I thought the point of gimmicks was to make low-effort shitposts, not post paragraph after paragraph about how loving retarded you are :raise:

OwlFancier posted:

Uhhhh why?

I mean, you could basically tell everyone to get hosed every step of the way during the fallout 3 plot, as well as ignore the plot entirely if you wanted to.

You are required to do plot things to progress the plot, obviously, because that is how a story works, but you can approach it in a variety of ways.

I think the main problem people had in Fallout 3 is more that you can't progress in the game without being a good guy. You can enslave half the wastes, blow up Megaton and eat everyone you kill, but you're still going to help your dad tinker with a water purifier, because that's what good guys do. You can be kinda mean to your lovely, stupid dad if you want, but you'll never not help him fix the purifier, and there's absolutely no alternate approach to this situation either. And "just don't do the main quest" rings pretty hollow considering one of the DLC doesn't start until after you finish it.

New Vegas doesn't do this; there is always an alternate path. If you do the NCR path, you won't even necessarily ever meet Caesar or confront Benny, which is strange considering most people consider that the 'best' ending (its actually House, but I digress). Of course, New Vegas is an outlier in that regard, being the most open-ended game in the series by a wide margin, but it's not like Bethesda couldn't do those things if they really wanted to (they don't).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

frajaq posted:

spoiler: the babby is alive

"Find...our...babby..." your spouse gasps before succumbing to death.

And so, in something of a reverse telling of Fallout 3's plot, you strike out in search of your mysteriously vanished child. Eventually you find them; their face falls off for a moment, giving you a glimpse of the circuits and wires inside.

Your child has been a robot the entire time.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The grown up baby will be the main bad guy. If you have good karma then he's evil and if you have bad karma then he's good. Either way his master plan is basically the same thing and he will try to guilt you for leaving him.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

*falls on knees, crying* "I got cucked....by a robot?"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Pwnstar posted:

The grown up baby will be the main bad guy. If you have good karma then he's evil and if you have bad karma then he's good. Either way his master plan is basically the same thing and he will try to guilt you for leaving him.

It'll actually pull a really crazy twist and the last act of the game will have you getting shot in the throat and coming out of it sounding like Liam Neeson and then you have to play through the Fallout 3 story from the dad's point of view until you have to kill yourself, again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

I thought the point of gimmicks was to make low-effort shitposts, not post paragraph after paragraph about how loving retarded you are :raise:

I think the main problem people had in Fallout 3 is more that you can't progress in the game without being a good guy. You can enslave half the wastes, blow up Megaton and eat everyone you kill, but you're still going to help your dad tinker with a water purifier, because that's what good guys do. You can be kinda mean to your lovely, stupid dad if you want, but you'll never not help him fix the purifier, and there's absolutely no alternate approach to this situation either. And "just don't do the main quest" rings pretty hollow considering one of the DLC doesn't start until after you finish it.

New Vegas doesn't do this; there is always an alternate path. If you do the NCR path, you won't even necessarily ever meet Caesar or confront Benny, which is strange considering most people consider that the 'best' ending (its actually House, but I digress). Of course, New Vegas is an outlier in that regard, being the most open-ended game in the series by a wide margin, but it's not like Bethesda couldn't do those things if they really wanted to (they don't).

In the sense that the entire game revolves around the purifier and thus if you didn't fix it then the plot would not happen, yes. Not fixing the purifier is not doing the main quest, because it sits where it is and doesn't do anything, nobody's interested in it because it doesn't work. Unless you get the macguffin that doesn't change.

You are entirely able to use it to murder everyone in the wasteland if you want to though.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Your super cis life partner spins instantly around and using their ninja like reflexes and gorilla strength, grabs you and your child and throws you both down a closed elevator shaft faster than an explosion.

Or maybe there are some big twists introduced that change the context of the early game.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Pwnstar posted:

What if you change your karma mid-story?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

OwlFancier posted:

You are entirely able to use it to murder everyone in the wasteland if you want to though.

Yeah, but for no personal gain or benefit whatsoever, and you still basically play a good guy up until that exact moment. It would be like if at the end of Die Hard John McClane just decided to shoot all the survivors after beating the bad guys. It's dumb and basically nonsensical.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Wait, was the "Dogmeat can't die" thing just announced without provocation? Weird.
Anyway, that's fine I guess, I'm sure they'll at least allow you to make him wait somewhere, maybe sometimes I don't want to have a dog.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

Does anyone know if there is a thread for Fallout Shelter?

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

sout posted:

Anyway, that's fine I guess, I'm sure they'll at least allow you to make him wait somewhere, maybe sometimes I don't want to have a dog.

Considering how badly companion stealth mechanics were implemented previously, this is a must.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ulysses' incessant junior high notebook ramblings turned what would've been an otherwise decently fun DLC into the worst DLC I've ever played in any game. Even on my explosive/melee guy playthroughs I just accepted not getting the unique launchers as a loss just so I could avoid replaying it.

What I'm saying is, please stop triggering me, n'wahs

Crankit posted:

could the vault experiment be that you're a clone of the guy?

either way i don't like that the baby dies

Spoiler alert: your name is Gary

Edit - wealth behind measure, outlander

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

ExplodingSquid posted:

Does anyone know if there is a thread for Fallout Shelter?

There isn't one that I can find.

ExplodingSquid
Aug 11, 2008

drat, ok.

Anyone know how the Radio room works? I've got 2 people in it with high stats for that room but have only had 1 new person show up.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

sout posted:

Wait, was the "Dogmeat can't die" thing just announced without provocation? Weird.

I heard that it's because of pressure from animal rights groups that don't want to see any harm come to your good dog.

In fact no animals will die in the game, making deathclaws a new kind of hard.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Crankit posted:

I heard that it's because of pressure from animal rights groups that don't want to see any harm come to your good dog.

In fact no animals will die in the game, making deathclaws a new kind of hard.

OH HEY BUDDY WHAT'S GOING ON?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

sout posted:

I really hope that's just a Dead Space-y death animation and not a grab that they will invariably and constantly use.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Come to mention... Where is our health gauge?

EDIT: In that scene I mean. I've seen the health gauge in other scenarios.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 17, 2015

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

sout posted:

I for one am pretty excited that guns aren't all particle spewing static objects firing at 400rpm anymore

The double barreled shotgun and the huge short barrel barrett looking thing look especially fun to shoot

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 17, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Soiled Meat
I think the problem is hardly there being a backstory. It's whether once your quest begins, there is somebody essential tied to your backstory following you and judging you for being incongruous with your established character.

In FO1 once you leave the Vault, there's nothing to hold you back from being a sociopath if you choose so. You are on your own and nobody's there to stop you.
In FO2, too, you can do whatever you want and your tribal background won't have any bearing on anything.
In FO3 your dad is such a non-character that he's barely there.

I feel that people fear having a family in FO4 (if that's the case) will mean that being less than a paragon of virtue will lead to a constant nagging and characters getting in your face. If it's just "you had a wife 200 years ago, now she's dead", who the gently caress cares.

That's not a totally bad thing (e.g. in Witcher everybody will be pissed at you if they think you act inappropriately for your established character), but it can be a real bother in a true exploration-oriented game made by a team with a history of ham-fisted moral systems.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

steinrokkan posted:

I think the problem is hardly there being a backstory. It's whether once your quest begins, there is somebody essential tied to your backstory following you and judging you for being incongruous with your established character.
Well, that's one aspect of it. But the general issue is that other Fallouts usually didn't care much who you were. If you want to play a muscle-bound moron who picks his teeth with mini-nukes, having a more solid character might feel wrong.

Personally, I doubt I'll mind unless the PC dialogue is really cringe-worthy, but for people who play and replay and mod and tweak the game for years, that's a big shift. And at that point, the game (and the series?) becomes an open-world Mass Effect. Some will like the more deliberate storytelling, others will want their Lone Wanderer to be a foul-mouthed swindler with a wacky accent.

I can't wait for the Saints Row-esque Male Voice #3 DLC packs.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

In all games no matter how evil you were, you had to find the water chip/GECK, you had to defeat the mutants/Enclave, unless you consider that lackluster "yes I join you" cutscene a valid ending.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
While you are correct about the water chip for Fallout 1, you actually don't have to exactly get the GECK in FO2. The game will let you play until your character dies of old age 35 years later.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

nonazis posted:

Ok, so, I got caught up in the moment and spent an extra $70 on the pip-boy pre order thing. Should I un-pre-order it? I mean, the creators themselves called it a lovely gimmick (after I ordered it, of course). Also, is Fallout 3 for xbox one bundled with all Fallout 4 editions, or only certain ones? Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, I'm just a stupid person.

They called it a lovely gimmick the moment they announced it. He just said as far as lovely gimmicks go, this one is definitely the coolest loving one.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
deathclaw stuff reminds me. i went through the video of that deathclaw popping out of the ground to come ruin the characters day because i was worried you wouldn't be able to see it as a red tick on your compass. sure enough, the character is staring straight at the spot where the deathclaw pops out and there's no tick, then as the crawling out of the ground animation begins, the tick instantly appears. so be prepared to see the ground next to you randomly start splitting open and lose your poo poo as it turns out to be a mole rat.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The only thing stopping me from buying a piece of plastic for $70 is that I live in Norway and the preorders aren't updated and that I already bought the game with a voucher on GMG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Wait, Confirmed Bachelor was that perk whose icon was a Vault Boy dude with a knife and a sleeping Vault Boy dude. That was in the very post claiming it "wasn't in the game". It looks like it's in the game to me.

• Locked thread