Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Mods about to get all Amazon up in this bidness. Tread lightly, buddy-pals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Is asking for pen-name advice also verboten? :ohdear: I know we're not supposed to talk about super-romance details, but I thought asking for generic pen-name advice would be okay.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Business, sales, marketing - anything that could be useful to regular self-pubbers seems to be acceptable.

Anything that is specific to erotica, probably best not to go there. It gets weird fast.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

painted bird posted:

Is asking for pen-name advice also verboten? :ohdear: I know we're not supposed to talk about super-romance details, but I thought asking for generic pen-name advice would be okay.

Eh, fair enough I guess? I just knee-jerked at the specificity of the genre.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Your pen name is now Dakota May.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Well I made my pre-order deadline and got my first romance novella manuscript uploaded. Looks like I picked a good time to make the big move up and out of smut shorts. :haw:

Gimme alllllllll the Bezosbux!

edit: Sean what is my spirit animal pen name?

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 17, 2015

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
You shall be known as Aurora Dancer.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

EngineerSean posted:

You shall be known as Aurora Dancer.

Sounds like you're getting these out of a "Native American Stripper" Name Generator.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I sent an email to jeff@amazon.com asking him to make public the number of pages read in May. Fingers crossed he forwards it to the right department. If a few thousand other authors do it, maybe we'll get some good info.

My phone rang just now. Hmm...I don't know anyone in Seattle? A nice lady introduced herself as a KDP Executive Manager (might have jumbled her title, I was in shock). She said "Jeff read your email" and she was calling me to let me know that she was "leading the conversations" about getting the information I asked for. She said she wasn't sure what kind of information they would be able to share, but she would be getting back to me once she knew more. She offered me her direct number but I was too humbled to accept it.

I doubt anything real will come of it, but it's the highlight of my day. :D

brotherly
Aug 20, 2014

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

My phone rang just now. Hmm...I don't know anyone in Seattle? A nice lady introduced herself as a KDP Executive Manager (might have jumbled her title, I was in shock). She said "Jeff read your email" and she was calling me to let me know that she was "leading the conversations" about getting the information I asked for. She said she wasn't sure what kind of information they would be able to share, but she would be getting back to me once she knew more. She offered me her direct number but I was too humbled to accept it.

I doubt anything real will come of it, but it's the highlight of my day. :D

Jeff read your email. There's nowhere to run.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Looks like Amazon just snuck in an update which shows you your ranks in categories even if you don't make it into the top hundred.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Blog by Selena Kitt (smut author) with a little more detail about the new changes:

http://selenakitt.com/blog/the-new-kindle-unlimited-what-it-means-for-authors-readers/

quote:

As a publisher (and self-published author) I had some questions for Amazon about the new system. Below is a summary of what I was told. I’m providing it to you as information. Do with it what you will!

Borrows will be displayed as PAGES now instead of BORROWS. So TOTAL number of PAGES (not broken down by number of borrowers) will appear on the report where the “borrow” appears now. We’ll be getting no other information besides this. We won’t know the number of people who borrowed each book – will will JUST know the TOTAL number of pages read in each book.

Pages will display and count in the report as they’re read by the reader. This will be when a user syncs up. Whether that’s hourly or monthly. Pages will appear as they’re read/synced, and you’ll get paid for those during the next payment period.

The 10% rule applies no longer. Pages are pages. They click into it and back out? One page. Click in and swipe left? Two pages. Swipe all the way through the backmatter? You get paid for all the pages.

There will be an SRL (Starting Read Location) determined by Amazon (start of Chapter 1). The ERL (end read location) defaults to the end of the Amazon book. If someone flips all the way to the end, you’ll get paid for backmatter pages. However, linking from the TOC to the end of the book? That would be two pages, no matter how many there were in between.

They do not have “average number of pages read” information up to this point (yeah, sure) and cannot provide that information currently.

Page averages will be done using the new “KENPC” system. The current page estimation system will change to the new (KENPC) one once the new KU rolls out in July.You only get paid for pages once. If they read the page again, it doesn’t count.

Rank – ghost borrows for rank will still have the same effect. A person borrows, rank goes up, but they may never open or read the book, meaning you may never get paid for it. But authors will still get the same rank boost for being in Select.

For the first 90 days, everyone enrolled in KU will be able to opt out AT ANY TIME. You are NOT TIED TO THE 90 DAY PERIOD. This is the best and most important news (which is why I saved it for last? heh) This will apply for at least the first 90 day period of the new system.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I'm gonna love watching authors put a message in the front matter that's basically ''Whenever you stop reading, please swipe to the end anyway so I can get paid.''

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
I've come to accept that I'm going to earn less than I'm used to this past year. What I really don't like is that they're stripping away more information from us. Before we could run a promo and we'd know pretty fast if people were borrowing and getting through 10%.

Now we're going to run a promo and watch a total number of pages rise. Yet its the number of people who click borrow that determines our sales rank, not pages read. And we will no longer know how many people are clicking borrow. They could provide us with both metrics, and they assuredly know. But they're not.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I love that they put that success line in quotes, just so you know it isn't something they really believe. :)

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Tony sounds more like your boyfriend than someone you emailed at Amazon. Anyway, this is a huge step backward, no other eBook retailer won't tell you how many people clicked the buy link.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

EngineerSean posted:

Tony sounds more like your boyfriend than someone you emailed at Amazon. Anyway, this is a huge step backward, no other eBook retailer won't tell you how many people clicked the buy link.

Someone over on DD got an email from an Amazon rep since that now claims we definitely will be told the number of borrows AND the number of pages read. Backtrack? Correction? Miscommunication? Lie? Who knows?!

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Someone over on DD got an email from an Amazon rep since that now claims we definitely will be told the number of borrows AND the number of pages read. Backtrack? Correction? Miscommunication? Lie? Who knows?!

I would guess that it's the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing but I hope that it's a backtrack.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
What is this "Would you like to share this release with your Amazon Followers?" email I just got from Amazon? I clicked the link to find out more but it wasn't very helpful. It just says that I can send a quick message to my Amazon followers about an upcoming release (but they emailed me about a book I already released over the weekend). Does it come with any identifiable material, or does it just tag it with my pen name? Is there a way to see how many followers I have for that pen name? I don't think the title has done particularly well, yet I haven't got any emails about this for my other titles - is this a new thing they're trialing or have I just never had followers before?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Same email for me as same exact questions. I chose not to do it in case it shared to my whole gmail contacts list or something

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

EngineerSean posted:

I would guess that it's the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing but I hope that it's a backtrack.

For any organization the size of Amazon, if in doubt assume a fuckup.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I would love it if the 'Amazon followers' thing was their attempt at making a mailing list.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Is there even a way to know how many people are following you on Amazon?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

You don't need to know that sort of thing. Just sit at your desk and type words and Amazon will handle everything. In fact, forget about sales and even pages. Amazon will just put a certain amount of money into your bank account every so often and you'll know if they think you're doing well or not based on the size of that amount.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
It doesn't tie to your email account or anything, its an email sent direct from Amazon to accounts who have clicked this button:

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

I've never even followed as a customer before, does it automatically advise you when new books by that author come out? Or is it literally just a mailing list where you have the option of sending a brief email (upon offer by amazon) to the people who have signed up to it?

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I've never even followed as a customer before, does it automatically advise you when new books by that author come out? Or is it literally just a mailing list where you have the option of sending a brief email (upon offer by amazon) to the people who have signed up to it?

It's supposed to automatically advise you when a new book is out but it's kind of broken. It doesn't do it for all releases and then seems to send like 3 or 4 at once. You don't get any input on the email that is sent out.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
It also doesn't function whatsoever if the book is in super-romance.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

EngineerSean posted:

It's supposed to automatically advise you when a new book is out but it's kind of broken. It doesn't do it for all releases and then seems to send like 3 or 4 at once. You don't get any input on the email that is sent out.

I follow my own pen names, just to see what kind of notifications Amazon sends out on my behalf. They've been very inconsistent, and the most recent email I received was a NEW RELEASE! notification for a book I released like five months earlier. :rolleye:

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Trustworthy posted:

I follow my own pen names, just to see what kind of notifications Amazon sends out on my behalf. They've been very inconsistent, and the most recent email I received was a NEW RELEASE! notification for a book I released like five months earlier. :rolleye:

At first they tried to tell me it was that way due to author feedback and when I rolled my eyes and said that most authors would want it to send out an email within one week of it making it through the publishing process, then they said "well there has been some issues..."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think one of the key issues is that if you publish two books from the same login with the same author name, it doesn't assume those books are by the same person. Amazon's whole author system is pretty terrible from an automation perspective.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think one of the key issues is that if you publish two books from the same login with the same author name, it doesn't assume those books are by the same person. Amazon's whole author system is pretty terrible from an automation perspective.

according to amazon there are only seven authors

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Legend has it there are eight, but the secret forbidden author made too much money and had to be silenced.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Legend has it there are eight, but the secret forbidden author made too much money and had to be silenced.

Sounds legit

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Amazon changed how reviews work yesterday. Your total star rating will now be influenced by factors such as newness of the reviews, whether others found them helpful and if the purchase was verified. These factors will also affect the order in which reviews appear on your product.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

Enhancement to Amazon Customer Reviews
June 19, 2015 3:06 PM
Starting today, Amazon is enhancing the customer reviews system, adding a few changes we hope will help make product feedback even more useful to customers. The enhanced system will use a machine-learned model to give more weight to newer, more helpful reviews from Amazon customers. The system will continue to learn which reviews are most helpful to customers and will improve the experience over time. This change will present itself in two ways:

• Star rating: A product’s overall star rating will now consider factors including the age of a review, helpful votes by customers, and whether reviews are from verified purchasers.
• Review ranking: Similar machine-learned factors will help determine a review’s ranking in the list of reviews.

Authors can benefit from the enhanced reviews system by actively listening to customer feedback. For example, if a book has a low star rating due to formatting or grammatical errors, the author can fix those errors, republish and see the book’s star rating improve as new reviews are more favorable. All reviews that comply with our policies will still be visible on the site.

We understand that some books, particularly older books, may not generate a lot of new reviews. Lack of new reviews will not devalue the old ones. because we've set the old ones at zero value already in the system

Our goal is to help customers make even more informed purchasing decisions.

^^^ Related text. Additional bold-text is probably mine. :v:

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Amazon is doing all kinds of cool things lately!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Next up: Sponsored search recommendations.

"Showing results for 'Stephen King new releases.' Click here to continue searching for 'indie horror novels.'"

"You searched for 'new romances.' Did you mean 'Fifty Shades of Gray Redux' ? "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Giving more weight to verified purchase reviews puts a ding in trying to bolster reviews by giving out free copies and ARCs. Interesting.