Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
That sphere the two kids were driving around in is a silly contraption. What if it rolled over some dinosaur dung? It would have completely obscured their vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Firstborn posted:

The nerdery of this thread has reached turbo levels.

Should Jurassic World be classified as hard sci-if?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Assistant died to pay the plot sin price for the park manager's fuckups.

Just like how the middle/lower class workers get hosed over by executives and tossed to the figurative wolves in real life.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Is there a list of all the throw backs / references to older Jurassic movies?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is there a list of all the throw backs / references to older Jurassic movies?

1. The film has Jurassic in the name
2. The film takes place at a dinosaur theme park
3. The park containment fails

etc

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm glad more people are starting to mention the editing. It was horrendous throughout but in a remarkable way for the first half hour or so.

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Well yeah.

I also really, really want to hug a baby dinosaur.

Goddamn that's some wonky CG.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I can't believe I'm blanking on this, but what's the name of the winged dinosaur with the raptor head?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dimorphodon

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

weekly font posted:

I'm glad more people are starting to mention the editing. It was horrendous throughout but in a remarkable way for the first half hour or so.

Yeah most of the movie was downright boring. The first JP started the movie out perfectly. Here's the enemy, here it is killing someone. Right away we know this park is a bad idea. JW? 45 minutes of loving exposition.

The other main problem was the tone of the film. It's this kinda light hearted zany family adventure film with mind numbing scenes of death and violence, the assistants death being the prime example.

Lastly, how does a movie look worse than its predecessor that's 20 years old? I know cg is less expensive than animatronics these days but poo poo they blew it in this movie.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I wish the movie had more scenes of dinosaurs killing people and rampaging through the park. The best scene in the movie is when the flying dinosaurs were attacking idiot tourists. I thought we were going to see the iRex and T-Rex and raptors killing park goers. I was really excited when they were tracking the iRex and it was heading south. It felt like the movie created the looming threat of 20,000 people being in mortal danger, but it never really paid off completely.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

And good god those two people in the control room. what the gently caress was the point of that subplot?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

FizFashizzle posted:

And good god those two people in the control room. what the gently caress was the point of that subplot?

"Everyone who was excited for Jurassic World solely based on the original is a huge virgin nerdlord." - Jurassic World, 2015.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

FizFashizzle posted:

There was a subplot? At least, involving those two? I thought they were there mostly to provide running commentary on poo poo and to have faces to attach doing the technical stuff to.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Lastly, how does a movie look worse than its predecessor that's 20 years old? I know cg is less expensive than animatronics these days but poo poo they blew it in this movie.

It's poorly directed, they were willing to spend longer with the dinosaurs in the sunlight and clearly visible, and you're probably mentally comparing the best effects from the original to the worst from this movie.

Recall this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJlmYh27MHg

and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM-RPO10aPY

not just this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Co3A3fLBo

The problem isn't the quality of the render.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's accurate.

JP/// featured the Spinosaurus as a brutal killer animal, but ended with the heroes chasing him away and then asking the raptors for forgiveness. In this film, Blue - who can obviously communicate with the iRex - is given a choice between killing US or HER. The idea of a third option (where he talks her down or something) is never even considered. And why not?

iRex is not a mindless killing machine. She understands what a helicopter is, and lures it towards the aviary as part of an elaborate plan to destroy the thing - so surely she can understand a basic concept like 'forgiveness', or just 'these pink things are raptors too'.

Instead, the name of the game is brutal crowdpleasing vengeance for the death of an unrelated animal that had like three minutes of screentime in an entirely different film. And this affiliation is based purely on species.

When Wu says nothing in the park is natural, he's performing a sort of basic ideological critique - up to and including Pratt's personal philosophy, based on obsolete, unscientific stuff about 'Alphas'.

You're, uh, extrapolating massively. The I-rex is the one that attacks the raptors in that scene, and the sequence of events is that she's running towards the aviary before the helicopter arrives and doesn't react to its presence at all that we can see.

Also, the movie takes that into account. The raptors try to kill Pratt the first chance they get (just like how the alpha-beta structure is unstable and regularly involves struggles over pecking order), and it's only by engaging in a sort of basic grooming/social interaction that he's able to win their acceptance (as part of the familial structure).

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I can't believe I'm blanking on this, but what's the name of the winged dinosaur with the raptor head?
Did I imagine it, or was there also a winged dino with a (scaled down) T. Rex head?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I saw it in 3d last night, overall I enjoyed it despite the gaping plot holes, but there were 2 things that I didn't like.

One was the overlong death of the assistant. If she were D'Onfrio's character, it would maybe have been more understandable that they followed it that much, but she easily got the most gruesome death in the movie. If they let it be comic relief that she climbed out of the tank, it probably would have sat better.

The other thing is more of a technical thing, but when the guy is flying the helicopter in the beginning, at times it looked like a toy helicopter, especially when it landed at the Supersaurus Rex cage. It just looked strange.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GazChap posted:

Did I imagine it, or was there also a winged dino with a (scaled down) T. Rex head?

Yeah, that was the one that attacked Chris Pratt.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Even now this scene is so effective and terrifying. Nothing in Jurassic World even comes close to matching this level of tension and excitement. The acting in this scene is fantastic. Lex and Tim seem genuinely terrifed, and Grant and Malcolm's :stonk: expressions convey how unprepared and screwed everyone is.

I think my favorite part is:

Dr. Grant: Hey! Hey! *waves flare*

Rex: Rooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar

Dr. Grant: ...uh....

Man, Jurassic Park rules so hard. I love Spielberg. I can't wait to go see Jaws in theaters next week.

Colin Trevorowroworawrowrowr can suck my balls.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Ehud posted:

Even now this scene is so effective and terrifying.

That scene is, of course, better than anything in Jurassic World. My point is merely that it's not better because the CGI in Jurassic World, or the effects work in general, is worse than in Jurassic Park (which I'm not suggesting you disagree with).

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Despite all my other issues with the movie, I thought the CGI was good. Someone come up with an objective way to argue about this and I'll report back to continue the discussion. Thanks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

GazChap posted:

I think you might be thinking of the same one.

The website lists Pteranodon:

and Dimorphondon:

The latter was the main flying attack threat.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The problem with the gyrospheres wasn't really the gyrospheres themselves, it's that they let people drive them around giant dinosaurs that while herbivorous, could easily smack them around when spooked. Letting people ride canoes next to them is worse than that, though. They must have you sign a waver to do that or something. Hippos and elephants are herbivores but zoos don't let you go in with them. Hell, hippos are among the most dangerous animals on earth.

Xenomrph posted:

Well yeah.

I also really, really want to hug a baby dinosaur.

Me too.

It's mad science and probably straight up animal cruelty but I hope Jack Horner's insane plan to reverse engineer dinosaurs from chickens pans out because who doesn't want a little pet dinosaur?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

The problem with the gyrospheres wasn't really the gyrospheres themselves, it's that they let people drive them around giant dinosaurs that while herbivorous, could easily smack them around when spooked. Letting people ride canoes next to them is worse than that, though.

Yeah, the canoes were way worse than the gyrospheres. At least the gyrospheres could override the driver and didn't let you touch anything. And I assume they were only with the dinos that didn't spook and smack things. The canoes had nothing stopping you poking a dino in the eye.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Sir Kodiak posted:

That scene is, of course, better than anything in Jurassic World. My point is merely that it's not better because the CGI in Jurassic World, or the effects work in general, is worse than in Jurassic Park (which I'm not suggesting you disagree with).

Yeah, I got off topic :)

Any time I watch the T-Rex scenes from JP I just start gushing.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Remember when a movie came out that had a dinosaur die in star lords arms while Ron Howard's daughter watched and rediscovered her humanity?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FizFashizzle posted:

Remember when a movie came out that had a dinosaur die in star lords arms while Ron Howard's daughter watched and rediscovered her humanity?

I dunno, I thought the scene when they panned up and showed just how many dinos that the I-Rex killed was pretty moving.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

FizFashizzle posted:

I liked when they kissed because movies.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Ehud posted:

Even now this scene is so effective and terrifying. Nothing in Jurassic World even comes close to matching this level of tension and excitement. The acting in this scene is fantastic. Lex and Tim seem genuinely terrifed, and Grant and Malcolm's :stonk: expressions convey how unprepared and screwed everyone is.

I think my favorite part is:

Dr. Grant: Hey! Hey! *waves flare*

Rex: Rooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar

Dr. Grant: ...uh....

Man, Jurassic Park rules so hard. I love Spielberg. I can't wait to go see Jaws in theaters next week.

Colin Trevorowroworawrowrowr can suck my balls.

That original Jurassic Park clip is kind of garbage how it goes from:

T-Rex chasing Malcolm

cut to: shot of bathroom

cut to: shot of Genaro in bathroom

cut to: bathroom being destroyed

cut to: Malcolm falling into the debris of the shattered bathroom structure

What the gently caress happened?? Why didn't the T-Rex eat Malcolm? Did it punt him into the bathroom or something? How is that anything but laughably lovely film making?

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

MikeJF posted:

I think you might be thinking of the same one.

The website lists Pteranodon:

and Dimorphondon:

The latter was the main flying attack threat.

One thing I can't get over about Jurassic World is why the gently caress did they have so many goddamn flying dinosaurs? What the gently caress did they do with all those? There were like 200 loving flying monsters. Was that even an exhibit or just a cage? What the hell.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jagermonster posted:

T-Rex chasing Malcolm

What the gently caress happened?? Why didn't the T-Rex eat Malcolm? Did it punt him into the bathroom or something? How is that anything but laughably lovely film making?

I really have no idea what you're talking about. The T-Rex lowers its head to snap-up Malcom, and misses him, but the force of the T-Rex's head slamming against Malcom launches him through the air and into the bathroom, which was destroyed because a T-Rex just stomped through it. It forgets about Malcom because Genarro is right there in its face just asking to be eaten. I'm not sure what you're confusion is.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Jagermonster posted:

One thing I can't get over about Jurassic World is why the gently caress did they have so many goddamn flying dinosaurs? What the gently caress did they do with all those? There were like 200 loving flying monsters. Was that even an exhibit or just a cage? What the hell.

I haven't seen this one, but well... zoos have lots of birds and stuff.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah most of the movie was downright boring. The first JP started the movie out perfectly. Here's the enemy, here it is killing someone. Right away we know this park is a bad idea. JW? 45 minutes of loving exposition.

I actually thought it was a fantastic payoff for three movies of trying to build the drat park. If they hadn't shown us the full scope of their fully-functioning park, it would have been a huge let down. I'm in the age group that saw the first movie as a kid, so there is some nostalgia factor in there somewhere too.

Not that the movie was perfect, but it pressed enough of the right buttons for a summer blockbuster.

Jagermonster posted:

Pterodactyl is one of the most popular and recognizable "dinosaurs." They were creating new species to drive up attendance, so of course they would already have an exhibit to showcase one of the most well-known dinosaurs.

Slowpoke! fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 17, 2015

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
I saw JW yesterday, and found it to be a flamboyant mess. It had none of the qualities that made the first Jurassic Park so special - the characters were uninteresting, there was no real build-up and the dialogue was just atrociously bad. Chris Pratt is usually so charming you think he poops chocolate bars, but even he was reduced to a cardboard cutout with a never-ending constipated look on his face. The editing was bad - the cut-outs and jumps from scene to scene reminded me of a parody, like the whole film was a stretched SNL skit. It all felt very tongue-in-cheek, and I am not sure if half of it is my fault as a viewer - I expected something that respects the audience, but I got an experience akin to, say, Armageddon. Maybe I've grown old and jaded, or maybe Mad Max: Fury Road raised the bar for what a cinematic spectacle can and should be, but I just didn't enjoy this film at all.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Jagermonster posted:

T-Rex chasing Malcolm

The T-Rex tried to eat him but as he goes to snap him up he misses, knocks Malcolm through the air, and destroys the bathroom hut at the same time. Genaro is left sitting on the toilet so the T-Rex eats him instead.

What's confusing or bad about that?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Arthe Xavier posted:

I saw JW yesterday, and found it to be a flamboyant mess. It had none of the qualities that made the first Jurassic Park so special - the characters were uninteresting, there was no real build-up and the dialogue was just atrociously bad. Chris Pratt is usually so charming you think he poops chocolate bars, but even he was reduced to a cardboard cutout with a never-ending constipated look on his face. The editing was bad - the cut-outs and jumps from scene to scene reminded me of a parody, like the whole film was a stretched SNL skit. It all felt very tongue-in-cheek, and I am not sure if half of it is my fault as a viewer - I expected something that respects the audience, but I got an experience akin to, say, Armageddon. Maybe I've grown old and jaded, or maybe Mad Max: Fury Road raised the bar for what a cinematic spectacle can and should be, but I just didn't enjoy this film at all.

Armageddon owned, to be frank.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arthe Xavier posted:

The only thing that really felt insincere was the juxtaposition of the Jurassic Park Theme with some crass commercial stuff at the very beginning, and even that isn't really true because that kid clearly is having the time of his life.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

computer parts posted:

The only thing that really felt insincere was the juxtaposition of the Jurassic Park Theme with some crass commercial stuff at the very beginning, and even that isn't really true because that kid clearly is having the time of his life.

Seriously, you get some real childlike wonder up in there instead of 125% Spielberg-face and suddenly it's all WOODEN ACTING and I HATE THAT AUTISTIC NERD.

And "you still got those matches" refers to the "hide the nerd pouch" line you twits.

And, seriously? "Creepy womanizer"? Do you even remember the bag of hormones you probably were when you were like 16-17?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Effectronica posted:

You're, uh, extrapolating massively. The I-rex is the one that attacks the raptors in that scene, and the sequence of events is that she's running towards the aviary before the helicopter arrives and doesn't react to its presence at all that we can see.

I was paying attention to this, for lack of anything else to look at.

Chastain is being chased through the abandoned building, until iRex hears the helicopter in the distance. When she does, she immediately stops in her tracks, turns around, and runs full-speed in the opposite direction - directly towards the aviary. There are shots of her looking up at the sky and roaring at the helicopter, trying to get its attention, when she could have just used camouflage. Once inside aviary, she starts trying to scare the pteranodons - working them into a frenzy, and forcing them outside.

At the end of the film, the raptors pretend like they're going to kill the people, but then Blue whispers a signal to Pratt. Once Pratt is ready, Blue turns around and screams the raptor equivalent of 'gently caress you!' - which is why iRex starts killing everyone.

FizFashizzle posted:

'Alphas' and 'betas'.

• Locked thread