Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

xthetenth posted:

^^^ Why a 980 right now?

I haven't paid attention to the GPU meta game in probably over a year. Why not?

Performs better than a 780 Ti while consuming less power (Subjective?)
It isn't breaking the bank like the 780 Ti was a year ago when I initially looked at upgrading.

Is there something new and game changing on the horizon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

LCL-Dead posted:

I'm about to drop the hammer on an EVGA 980 and was curious as to whether or not it's worth it to order a back plate for the card as well.

No, I have no plans to water cool the card.
No. I will not be overclocking it (For awhile, at least)
No. It will not be setup with another in SLI for a couple of years.

The only reason I looked into them was because a few people on newegg reporting some pretty bad sagging in their cards. Not sure if EVGA, or whoever would, has addressed that issue or if it's something I even need to worry about.

I don't have back plates on my 560 Ti's

Backplates are cheap and look nice. Buy it anyway.

LCL-Dead posted:

It isn't breaking the bank like the 780 Ti was a year ago when I initially looked at upgrading.

Get a 970 or 980ti seems to be the idea

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

LCL-Dead posted:

It's just the card immediately below and and the card immediately above it are both waaaaay better value for money.

May not apply if you grab a used 980 from someone moving to the 980 TI, but I wouldn't pay for one new.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

LCL-Dead posted:

The 970 is a good chunk cheaper and can equal or exceed a 980 with a fairly minor overclock, and by that I mean you use the same cooler it came with, open a overclocking utility and bump the clocks up, if you ever get crashes you just bump the clocks down a little and you now have something about as fast as a 980 for $150-$200 less. If you want more power it makes more sense to get a 980 Ti, which is very close to equal with a Titan X for only $150 more than a 980.

If you have a 1080p monitor and you are not planning on upgrading to 1440p+ any time soon get the 970, if you are at 1440p or planning to upgrade to 1440p or higher soon grab a 980 Ti. You might also want to wait a bit since AMD just had their press conference yesterday to introduce the Fury line of cards and it would probably be a good idea to see how those stack up to Nvidia's offerings and see if any prices change. In fact the 980 that you were looking at would be one of the first cards to get a price drop if any of Nvidia's cards do drop in price.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The Fury non-X seems like it would push hard against the 980, it doesn't seem to be a huge crop, and the 4GB is plenty against a card that also has 4GB.

Basically, right now it's overpriced compared to the cards around it and a card that might be in a similar price range bit considerably faster may be right around the corner.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

LCL-Dead posted:

980 sits in an awkward spot where the value doesn't quite add up, but I think other people have chimed in on that.

Also, yes, new and potentially game changing stuff was just announced literally yesterday, so in a couple of weeks we'll know whether AMD's new offerings are any good or not.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Based on what little has been throw out though, the 980 looks like an awful card to buy as it's stomped flat by Fury NotX, and both look to have similar prices. 980s got to drop, but how far is the question. I'd personally go for a Fury NotX but the lack of DVI-D is killing me.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

cat doter posted:

That's really cool, but what are the chances of nvidia adopting it? I'm guessing pretty low.

ASUS is preparing the PG279Q successor to last year's ROG SWIFT (to compete against this year's Acer XB270HU), and the new GSync module it has is packing both DisplayPort and HDMI (with presumably most of the included features on whatever version HDMI they're using). The proprietary-ness continues.

HELLFISH88
Jun 14, 2015
So I'm going to just jump the shark and ask if Nvidia has mentioned anything about which quarter of 2016 they expect the Pascal launch? We're probably looking at a Computex or E3 debut huh?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I appreciate the quick feedback.

I compromised when I bought my 560 Ti's because I didn't really have the money to go for any of the better 500 series cards, I guess part of me just wants the best I can get right now, which is unfortunately still limited by cash availability. I went for the 980 because it clocked better scores than the 970 and 780 Ti (Not to mention I don't want to have to also do a PSU upgrade later on if I ever SLI 780 ti's), the 980 Ti is about $100 out of my available range at the moment.

I'm also impatient, so waiting to see how Nvidia responds to the AMD conference is a no-go and.. I'm.. I'm an Nvidia fanboy.

I've been waiting to upgrade for almost 18 months now, ever since my wife found out she needed 6 grand worth of dental work and I had to unload all of my saved upgrade money into that fund to cover it. It just so happened that my job finally got around to fixing some past due travel vouchers and I had enough money for a GPU upgrade dumped into my account this past weekend.

Is it really worth it to slap a 970 in and use something like afterburner to bump the clocks 100-130mhz? What about the reported memory issues?

Now I'm hesitating.. you bastards.. :argh:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FaustianQ posted:

Based on what little has been throw out though, the 980 looks like an awful card to buy as it's stomped flat by Fury NotX, and both look to have similar prices. 980s got to drop, but how far is the question. I'd personally go for a Fury NotX but the lack of DVI-D is killing me.

Do we actually know that the R9 Fury is faster than a 980? I haven't seen any preview / review yet or even benchmarks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Came across this on Ars or something. Posting without further comment.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Twerk from Home posted:

Do we actually know that the R9 Fury is faster than a 980? I haven't seen any preview / review yet or even benchmarks.

Techpowerup has some supposed benchmark screenshots up from Taiwan, but I'll wait until I see a proper review from Tom's Hardware or Anandtech. I'd love to have ammo to throw in the AMD sperg's face, but I don't really have a dog in this fight since I'm going to ride out my 780 until Pascal, or something more crippling than Witcher 3 comes out.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

LCL-Dead posted:

Lol, no its not a bad deal by any means. The "problem" is that the 970 and 980ti are such fantastic deals that it made the 980 pale in comparison performance per dollar relative to those cards. But yes when you compare apples to apples from last gen its a good (great) card.

That being said a 980ti is like way way better than the 980 if you can swing that, and the 970 and 980 are so close that OC'ing a 970 will push it past a (reference) 980. However, presuming you OC the 980 too that becomes moot, but that's how close they are.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

Good one.

Considering aftermarket vs. aftermarket a 980 is 116% the speed of a 290X, and a Fury X has 145% the stream processors and memory bandwidth of a 290X and higher stock clocks?

They'd have to turn off over 20% of the stream processors for the stock Fury to be the same speed as a G1 Gaming 980, when the 290 had 10% fewer stream processors than the 290X.

Edited:The reference 980 Ti is 22% faster than the 980 G1 Gaming and 35% faster than the stock 980. It overclocks well, and the G1 gaming Ti is something like 15% faster than the stock Ti on top of that for a roughly 50% gain.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 17, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

xthetenth posted:

Good one.

Considering aftermarket vs. aftermarket a 980 is 116% the speed of a 290X, and a Fury X has 145% the stream processors and memory bandwidth of a 290X and higher stock clocks?

They'd have to turn off over 20% of the stream processors for the stock Fury to be the same speed as a G1 Gaming 980, when the 290 had 10% fewer stream processors than the 290X.

The reference 980 Ti is 22% faster than the 980 G1 Gaming and 35% faster than the stock 980. It overclocks well, and the G1 gaming Ti is something like 30% faster than the stock Ti on top of that for a roughy 75% gain.

I wasn't trying to poo poo on it, I was legitimately curious. I have an R9-290 because it was $100 cheaper than a 970, and thought that in general the 970 was about 20% faster than the 290.

It's a very different thing to see actual benchmarks of a card working and playing games rather than theoretical extrapolations based on number of compute units and clocks. Hopefully with Fury X launching so soon we get to actually see a full comparison and all the speculation will be moot.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

LCL-Dead posted:

I appreciate the quick feedback.

I compromised when I bought my 560 Ti's because I didn't really have the money to go for any of the better 500 series cards, I guess part of me just wants the best I can get right now, which is unfortunately still limited by cash availability. I went for the 980 because it clocked better scores than the 970 and 780 Ti (Not to mention I don't want to have to also do a PSU upgrade later on if I ever SLI 780 ti's), the 980 Ti is about $100 out of my available range at the moment.

I'm also impatient, so waiting to see how Nvidia responds to the AMD conference is a no-go and.. I'm.. I'm an Nvidia fanboy.

I've been waiting to upgrade for almost 18 months now, ever since my wife found out she needed 6 grand worth of dental work and I had to unload all of my saved upgrade money into that fund to cover it. It just so happened that my job finally got around to fixing some past due travel vouchers and I had enough money for a GPU upgrade dumped into my account this past weekend.

Is it really worth it to slap a 970 in and use something like afterburner to bump the clocks 100-130mhz? What about the reported memory issues?

Now I'm hesitating.. you bastards.. :argh:

I would at least wait a bit to see if the 980 drops to $400-$450 or save up $50 and wait for Fury numbers, the air cooled Fury is going to be $550 and will probably blow the 980 out of the water. As for OCing the 970 it's well worth it, I get 1450MHz core, and ~4000MHz on the memory without problems, though I probably got one that OCs pretty well, heh. The 3.5GB thing is only an issue if you are going to game at 1440p and up, 3.5 seems to be plenty for 1080p.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, I wasn't trying to be a dick, but it's a huge gap from even factory OC 980s to the big boys. GCN scales well and there's a ton more of literally everything so that scaling should be pretty safe. Also I was remembering good case OC performance from that G1 Ti, it's more like 50% faster than the 980 comparing out of the box clocks.

Edit: I've taken my 970 past 1500, not sure if it's long term stable there. 1550 artifacts on stock volts.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 17, 2015

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
Every time I read this thread I get super sad that I own a 980. Then I remember I paid less than $300 for it and feel dumb for being sad.

Also I like that the Fury Nano seems to have just come out of nowhere for small form factor stuff. It's hopefully powerful and tiny and that's great.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Every time I read this thread I get super sad that I own a 980. Then I remember I paid less than $300 for it and feel dumb for being sad.

Also I like that the Fury Nano seems to have just come out of nowhere for small form factor stuff. It's hopefully powerful and tiny and that's great.

Coolest thing from them for sure.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Yeah at that price you got a great deal on a hugely faster 970, which is a really good card.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FaintlyQuaint posted:

They say it's faster than a 290x out of the box, and has twice the performance per watt.

I imagine it'll overclock like hell. Have to burn all that efficiency, somehow.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

xthetenth posted:

Edited:The reference 980 Ti is 22% faster than the 980 G1 Gaming and 35% faster than the stock 980. It overclocks well, and the G1 gaming Ti is something like 15% faster than the stock Ti on top of that for a roughly 50% gain.

I'm assuming you can also overclock the G1's factory OC? I wonder if G1's binning makes them better at customer OCing or would they be no better or worse due to silicon lottery?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Ak Gara posted:

I'm assuming you can also overclock the G1's factory OC? I wonder if G1's binning makes them better at customer OCing or would they be no better or worse due to silicon lottery?

From what I saw the 980ti G1 was oc'ing to roughly the same clock as pretty much all the "top tier" Maxwells (1400-1500). Which is a good thing, but that is a lower percentage OC of course since the factory OC is pretty high as it is.

My G1 980 is the same, I'm in the mid 1400's. Same for all the 970's I had of various brands (MSI 4g, Strix, G1).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

Absolutely. You can overclock higher than the factory OC, and it will likely do a bit better at OCing than a reference design because of binning and more importantly a better cooler but in the end ranges overlap and it's down to the lottery. It will be a smaller relative increase compared to OCing a stock clock card though. For example the 980 Ti Guru3d got went up from 115% to 120% of a stock 980 Ti, and a 4% overclock would be really disappointing for a stock clocked card.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Fiji doesn't support HDMI 2.0 apparently. Since there's no DP-HDMI2 adapters on the market yet, it's a "4K ready" card which can't drive a 4K60 TV :raise:

e: Later on he says there won't be non-reference Fury Xes, so whoever was hoping for a QNIX-friendly variant with DL-DVI is SOL.

repiv fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 17, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

repiv posted:

Fiji doesn't support HDMI 2.0 apparently. Since there's no DP-HDMI2 adapters on the market yet, it's a "4K ready" card which can't drive a 4K60 TV :raise:

Came here to post this.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

HELLFISH88 posted:

So I'm going to just jump the shark and ask if Nvidia has mentioned anything about which quarter of 2016 they expect the Pascal launch? We're probably looking at a Computex or E3 debut huh?

Supposedly the tape out just happened, so yeah 12 months minimum is realistic.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

repiv posted:

Pity 4K monitors and modern displayport don't exist.

If you want a card for a 4K TV that's a 960. Although I will grant there are TVs without chroma subsampling these days.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Looking for some advice. I'm currently running a Intel Core i7 3820 w/ 16gb of ram CyberpowerPC machine. The GPU is a AMD Radeon HD 7770 1gb and I'm thinking about upgrading it.

I'd like to keep the budget in the ~$300 range or lower and only run two monitors. Thanks.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

MoraleHazard posted:

Looking for some advice. I'm currently running a Intel Core i7 3820 w/ 16gb of ram CyberpowerPC machine. The GPU is a AMD Radeon HD 7770 1gb and I'm thinking about upgrading it.

I'd like to keep the budget in the ~$300 range or lower and only run two monitors. Thanks.

That should get you an R9-290 or 290X, that's gonna be the best bang for buck you'll get under $300.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

MoraleHazard posted:

At $300-ish I'd look at a 970 or R9 290X, I favor the 970 because of smoother frame rates but both are good cards and the 290X will scale better if you use higher resolutions than 1080p. I'd wait a bit before buying anything though, AMD just debuted their new cards yesterday and that might shake things up as far as prices and such go.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

repiv posted:

e: Later on he says there won't be non-reference Fury Xes, so whoever was hoping for a QNIX-friendly variant with DL-DVI is SOL.

Does this include Fury NotX?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

Does this include Fury NotX?

He didn't say anything about the NotX :iiam:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

At $300-ish I'd look at a 970 or R9 290X, I favor the 970 because of smoother frame rates but both are good cards and the 290X will scale better if you use higher resolutions than 1080p. I'd wait a bit before buying anything though, AMD just debuted their new cards yesterday and that might shake things up as far as prices and such go.

Buut dont wait too long if you want a 290x lol.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I haven't seen evidence of much smoother frame times for the 970 over aftermarket 290(x) (or any frame time comparison between the two for that matter), do you have a link to that by any chance?

And if you're going for performance for the price under $300, the 290 that's on deepest sale is where it's at. I'll leave it up to you if you want to go up to a 290X or even bust your budget a bit and go for the 970.

This here has a pretty good comparison of aftermarket 290, 290X and 970s like are on sale with good representatives of each, sorry about it not being in English:

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/928-20/recapitulatif-performances.html

The 290X is 7% faster than a 290 and the 970 is 5% faster than the 290, but uses less power if your power supply is too small for a 290(X).

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 17, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

xthetenth posted:

I haven't seen evidence of much smoother frame times for the 970 over aftermarket 290(x) (or any frame time comparison between the two for that matter), do you have a link to that by any chance?

And if you're going for performance for the price under $300, the 290 that's on deepest sale is where it's at. I'll leave it up to you if you want to go up to a 290X or even bust your budget a bit and go for the 970.

This here has a pretty good comparison of aftermarket 290, 290X and 970s like are on sale with good representatives of each, sorry about it not being in English:

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/928-20/recapitulatif-performances.html

The 290X is 7% faster than a 290 and the 970 is 5% faster than the 290, but uses less power if your power supply is too small for a 290(X).

http://techreport.com/review/27067/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-and-970-graphics-cards-reviewed/8

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Very interesting, good to know.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

"Our "badess" metric captures the difference most dramatically. The GeForces spend no time beyond our 50-ms cutoff and very little above the 33-ms mark, while the Radeons spend many tens of milliseconds waiting for those long-latency frames."

Thanks for this, this really illustrates the quality of life differences. Longer single frames will make VSync drop down to 30fps for a moment, even if you're averaging 70.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

repiv posted:

Nail number two in the Fury coffin for me, considering my obscure combo of DVI QNIX and HDMI 2.0 55" 4K Samsung TV which I use my computer with on occasion.