Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Alright, thanks for the advice guys :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

If you buy the extended soundtrack DLC for Necrodancer, does it integrate with the game so that you get the Melody/Aria versions of tracks when playing as them?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

If you buy the extended soundtrack DLC for Necrodancer, does it integrate with the game so that you get the Melody/Aria versions of tracks when playing as them?

You can choose which version you want without buying it, or set it to random. Doesn't matter which character you are.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ToxicFrog posted:

Like most indie games that have one, the "soundtrack dlc" is just a set of standalone mp3 files. Buy it if you like the game's music and want to listen to it outside of the game.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Like most indie games that have one, the "soundtrack dlc" is just a set of standalone mp3 files. Buy it if you like the game's music and want to listen to it outside of the game.

But the game's music is already all there in data/music/, so all you're paying for is the ID3 tags, apparently. :psyduck:

It is a fantastic soundtrack, though.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

ToxicFrog posted:

But the game's music is already all there in data/music/, so all you're paying for is the ID3 tags, apparently. :psyduck:

It is a fantastic soundtrack, though.

It's also on spotify, youtube, bandcamp etc. All of them "official". It's more of a "support the artist" thing.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Dammit, I want to love The Curious Expedition, but it seems that every second time I start the game, it eats my saves. :( Do any of you know of any fixes for this? I've got it on Steam if it makes a difference.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Dammit, I want to love The Curious Expedition, but it seems that every second time I start the game, it eats my saves. :( Do any of you know of any fixes for this? I've got it on Steam if it makes a difference.

Don't know anything about the game, but maybe I can guess. Have you installed the game in program files? I don't know why this is the default with everything, since it seems to be some sort of semi-protected folder where sometimes programs need admin rights to mess with files. Not sure how it works exactly, but I remember someone having similar troubles that were fixed by installing the game to its own folder.

E: Oh wait, every second time? Steam? Never mind.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Probably cloud backup fuckery. Disable that.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

hey unormal, is there some sort of hardcoded blending(or something) with the colors in qud? The color values in display.txt don't match the ones I'm pulling off a printscreen, and my own values look totally different when it runs.

_jink fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 17, 2015

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

_jink posted:

hey unormal, is there some sort of hardcoded blending(or something) with the colors in qud? The color values in display.txt don't match the ones I'm pulling off a printscreen, and my own values look totally different when it runs.

You probably need to disable all the CRT effects to get an exact color match.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

One-Way Heroics is under a buck on Steam right now, so grab it if you haven't yet.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

One-Way Heroics is under a buck on Steam right now, so grab it if you haven't yet.

What's the deal with One Way Heroics Plus? Is it a remake that hasn't hit Steam yet? That never will? An expansion?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If I was interested in poking around making a roguelike in python, what version/library should I use? Roguebasin has this old tutorial, but it needs libtcod and python 2.70. Then I saw some other sites using pygame but they don't have the same well-written tutorials.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

If I was interested in poking around making a roguelike in python, what version/library should I use? Roguebasin has this old tutorial, but it needs libtcod and python 2.70. Then I saw some other sites using pygame but they don't have the same well-written tutorials.

Games I've seen recently use libtcod + pygame for sounds.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SnowblindFatal posted:

E: Oh wait, every second time? Steam? Never mind.

Yeah it's quite weird, not sure why it's only doing it every second time - never had that happen before.

Klaus Kinski posted:

Probably cloud backup fuckery. Disable that.

Alright, well I'll check if it uses the cloud when I get home tonight, and if it's on it, turn it off to see how it goes. Thanks

EDIT: Hmm, doesn't seem to use the Steam cloud, unfortunately

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 18, 2015

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

ToxicFrog posted:

What's the deal with One Way Heroics Plus? Is it a remake that hasn't hit Steam yet? That never will? An expansion?

It's like a remake but you can import your original save game into it. Playism is the game's english language publisher, they're selling it exclusively on their web site for a while before putting it on Steam.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ToxicFrog posted:

It is pretty much a big remake. All sorts of stuff are added in to put it in line with other RL and weapon/armor upgrades are no longer exploited between games.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Scalding Coffee posted:

It is pretty much a big remake. All sorts of stuff are added in to put it in line with other RL and weapon/armor upgrades are no longer exploited between games.

You can still stack upgrades in the vault, I'm pretty sure. That message just means they get wiped on import.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Emong posted:

You can still stack upgrades in the vault, I'm pretty sure. That message just means they get wiped on import.

You can even spend points to repair them now.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It bugs me that I'll probably have to refill those images in the ending collage thing, despite the save import.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Speaking of OWH, any hints for a first timer who just picked it up?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Go right.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

rj54x posted:

Speaking of OWH, any hints for a first timer who just picked it up?

Pirate is the best class.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Justin_Brett posted:

It bugs me that I'll probably have to refill those images in the ending collage thing, despite the save import.

Having already imported my save, you won't.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

Pirate is the best class.

Naked heroes are the best class, but pirates are pretty great too. In general, classes that can stand in front of a conga line of monsters and kill them quickly (in one hit, ideally) are much better than classes that have to use "finesse" or are good at ranged combat, like hunters and force users.

The game doesn't have a whole lot of subtlety to it; just go right, try not to get stuck in a dead-end, and remember that axes are good at busting down walls. If you find a hero statue you can sacrifice levels for stat-ups; there is literally no downside to this (i.e. "losing" levels doesn't hurt you) so you may as well.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Level isn't completely pointless. It affects your final score, and Wizards Jedi "Force Users" get new spells the first time they hit certain levels. But IIRC you still keep the spell if you trade the levels in later.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

booksnake posted:

Having already imported my save, you won't.

That's wonderful, thanks for letting me know.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
seriously, the tiles on caves of qud are so amazing

i love proselytizing something and hearts go everywhere :3

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also running around as a warrior who just shits out webs any time he is in trouble owns

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Just picked up Crypt of the Necrodancer on the Steam sale. This game is super fun and I love it. Though I am bad at it. I look at my daily scores compared to the top scores and they're not even comparable. Of course I've only made it to zone 2 a couple times in all zones mode. I require practice. Much, much more practice.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Master Twig posted:

Just picked up Crypt of the Necrodancer on the Steam sale. This game is super fun and I love it. Though I am bad at it. I look at my daily scores compared to the top scores and they're not even comparable. Of course I've only made it to zone 2 a couple times in all zones mode. I require practice. Much, much more practice.

The top scores are going to be people who have been playing this game basically every day for at least a year. They're the kind of people who can win All Zones Mode as Aria (who, if you haven't seen her yet, dies if she takes any damage or misses a beat, and can only use a standard dagger as her weapon). Crazy people.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Just dropping in to say Darkest Dungeon is awesome and everyone should buy it.

And then come into the thread and PYF narrator quotes.

"A man in a robe? Claiming communion with the divine... madness."

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 19, 2015

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Darkest Dungeons is pretty cool, but the minute I got a vaguely seasoned party with the moves I wanted it became very, very easy and a lot of the atmosphere went out of it. I think it could use more content, or perhaps I'm feeling a little down on the whole 'balanced set of moves' and want to go back to 'stupid powerup increases'.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah I haven't touched it since I got it some time ago, waiting on the coves/darkest dungeons, it just feels sorta aimless with nothing to do but repeat the same dungeons on higher difficulties.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Darkest Dungeon looks like one of those "let's see if anyone's talking about it in a year" kind of games.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the mental mutations in qud seem really powerful if I could make it far, dude is just so frail

right now i basically proselytize a goat or something to tank hits while I attack people and run away if he dies

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I have been reading TooMuchAbstraction's Angband LP, it is great and is making me want to try Angband. My only worry is that it will just be way too outdated for me to get into. Is it as fun as it looks, or has TooMuchAbstraction cut out all the weird clunky stuff that often comes with old roguelikes?

I would just dive in, but I always have a learning stage with roguelikes where I just hate them and want to quit. So I need some encouragement to get me through that part.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Eonwe posted:

the mental mutations in qud seem really powerful if I could make it far, dude is just so frail

right now i basically proselytize a goat or something to tank hits while I attack people and run away if he dies

That's why I like taking carapace on my would-be espers. by level 5 you should be nearly immune to most early enemies if you fill in your gloves/boots/hat. I think they removed keeping your carapace tightened while using mental actions, which makes disintegrating equimaxen a lot riskier than it used to be. Max carapace + fullerite gear makes it so you really only take damage from flamers, explosions, vibro weapons and less than half of normal melee attacks from cragmensch. Force bubble also works, though you need to be prepared to run like hell when it's on cooldown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jester Mcgee posted:

I have been reading TooMuchAbstraction's Angband LP, it is great and is making me want to try Angband. My only worry is that it will just be way too outdated for me to get into. Is it as fun as it looks, or has TooMuchAbstraction cut out all the weird clunky stuff that often comes with old roguelikes?

I would just dive in, but I always have a learning stage with roguelikes where I just hate them and want to quit. So I need some encouragement to get me through that part.

Do you like Diablo? Angband is basically turn-based ASCII Diablo with more stuff. It doesn't have all of the UI amenities of recent roguelikes, but it's not as clunky as its fellow old ones either IMO.