Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

That's just reminded me, I accidentally chose the Dewbauchee Massacre in a race instead of my usual Carbonizzaire (sp?) and holy poo poo is that objectively best Sports car? The website puts it as nearly fast enough to be a Super and you can take corners at full speed. 0-60 in like 3 seconds or something too.

E: I usually do alright if there's only a few people in, but God knows pubbies are going to sit there waiting for the lobby to fill up every time.

Praseodymi fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Praseodymi posted:

That's just reminded me, I accidentally chose the Dewbauchee Massacre in a race instead of my usual Carbonizzaire (sp?) and holy poo poo is that objectively best Sports car? The website puts it as nearly fast enough to be a Super and you can take corners at full speed. 0-60 in like 3 seconds or something too.

Yes, the Massacro is top-tier, along with the race livery Jester. The Carbonizarre is fast, but so skittish that it requires a pretty skilled driver to make it competitive against goons.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

titties posted:

Yes, the Massacro is top-tier, along with the race livery Jester. The Carbonizarre is fast, but so skittish that it requires a pretty skilled driver to make it competitive against goons.

Good to hear. As soon as the race finished I sold my Furore and bought one. Gotta have my imaginary fake Aston Martins.

taters
Jun 13, 2005

Yo stopitb, make me a mod so that when I drive around in my tricked out Virgo prostitutes hand be money when I stop near them.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Kelly posted:

:siren: PS4....let's do a playlist on Friday :siren:

I can almost definitely be there for at least parts of it. Put me in, coach: "niceboyonline".

theguybro
Dec 16, 2012

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

taters posted:

Yo stopitb, make me a mod so that when I drive around in my tricked out Virgo prostitutes hand be money when I stop near them.

lmao

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

theguybro posted:

nice reg date

Also you should've just added him if you have his name.

Pretty sure you're the first person to ever point out my reg date. It's legit, I registered on this forum that day as it had the fastest updating news feed.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Praseodymi posted:

That's just reminded me, I accidentally chose the Dewbauchee Massacre in a race instead of my usual Carbonizzaire (sp?) and holy poo poo is that objectively best Sports car?

Look here for better vehicle stats.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just playing that setup where you have to steal the car from the cargo ship, I can never figure out what to do to get down into the ship from the crane. The other guy is already down there so I jump anyway thinking I have a chute, I don't, and fall what should be to my death. Except the guy was starting the next sequence and I was standing there next to him as he opened the door to the container with the car, we drive off the ship and then the game crashes as soon as we hit the pavement.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Pull up to the staircase onto the ship those guys are guarding, shoot them dead. Pull back and clean up everyone running along the ship portside to provide backup when they hear the shots. When you have a window run up the staircase and go up one flight of the stairs on your right. Run around the perimeter of the smoke stack or whatever that is and climb up onto the shipping container. Then you take running jumps from container to container and mow down anybody in your way until you reach the one you're looking for.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

QwertyAsher posted:

So as a stupid newbie, am I just being dumb or is it really stupid that the way you earn upgrades to your cars is to win races, in which you will be racing against people who already have the upgrades to their cars. Is it really a case of "keep losing repeatedly until you find a group of people who are completely incompetent"? Or am I just really loving bad at racing.

I did the first 20 or so wins by trading, but I finished them off legitimately. There are a lot of poo poo people out there. I also built a small race garage with the best cheapest versions of bike, sport and offroad. My akuma and Sanchez pulled a lot of weight in bike and offroad races.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

codo27 posted:

Just playing that setup where you have to steal the car from the cargo ship, I can never figure out what to do to get down into the ship from the crane. The other guy is already down there so I jump anyway thinking I have a chute, I don't, and fall what should be to my death. Except the guy was starting the next sequence and I was standing there next to him as he opened the door to the container with the car, we drive off the ship and then the game crashes as soon as we hit the pavement.

The middle crane has a parachute on top if it. Climb the crane without alerting anyone, grab the chute, use a silenced sniper to kill the two guys on top of the cargo containers then parachute down and steal the car. Drive away. Two kills and done. Take the train tracks north to near the racetrack instead of the road and come out under the overpass, never get any starts nor meet cars chasing you.

Zenzizenzizenzic
May 25, 2012

Fun Shoe

theguybro posted:

I did die for like a year.

Why dont you have this on PC?

Dude, my and Cypher used to argue about how your name is pronounced so how is Otiosely pronounced

I don't own a cool powerful PC...I have to post on this forum from my 2004 Nokia flip phone. & I'm told the ideal pronunciation is 'autistically'

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Affordable and Fun: The Vapid Sandking XL
Make: Vapid (Ford)
Model: Sandking XL (Ford Super Duty w/lift kit)
Drivetrain: 4WD
Engine: V-6(?) Turbo-diesel

Rock Crawling: B+

This truck is absolutely excellent for rock crawling due to it's hilariously high ride height. However...it's almost a bit too big if you care about looks. Driving over rocks is great fun, the horrid scratches to the side of your ride do not seem to happen with the Canis Mesa or Dubsta 6x6 that happen to this truck. It's engine and wheels power the truck over very jagged rocks, but the visual damage can be pretty appalling if you care about that kind of stuff. Seeing a bunch of gray lines and huge gouges in the paint of your vehicle are not exactly what I would call "great for offroading". Fix that and it's almost a certain A. That's not to say that it isn't capable, just needs to reduce paint damage. Rollovers are a minor risk when rock crawling, stay wary!

Mountain Climbing: B+

The big engine in this baby will pull you up mountains. The wheels and suspension on the other hand will do as much as possible to undermine you it seems. if you have a nice, stable, steady slope, this thing will pull right over with no issues. If there are rocks in the way, you will go tumbling down due to it's extremely springy suspension. I just wish this game had an option to tighten up the suspension, because once again, then it would be perfect. Rollovers are common on Mount Chilliad. Remember two S's: Speed/Safety. They're inversely related when mountain climbing. The more speed you have, the more likely you are to careen off a cliff. That's not fun at all, is it?

River Crossing: A

There is not much to say in this category. With your regular lifted truck and powerful engine, it'll coast right through deep rivers with no issues, hitting rocks on the bottom will just be a plus because the bouncy suspension will do it's best to propel your vehicle into the air, giving your engine some proper breathing room. The only thing you want to avoid is making sure you don't actually roll this thing in the water. If it comes down too hard on one side the engine will drown extremely quick. This is applied to every car, but with the Sandking XL, extra vigilance might be key. I will give it an A because it is excellent!

Onroad Performance: C-

This is unfortunate. The truck wants to rollover as much as it can when taking hard corners. The height of the suspension will lead to you gliding over cars. This might be hilarious when you first do it. It will not be hilarious when the Sheriff's Department drives their police cruiser right underneath your wheels and flips, you before dragging you out and shooting you in the head. The acceleration is not that good, even with a turbo upgrade, but it's top speed is pretty respectable it seems for a pure offroader. Drop the suspension and it becomes capable on a road, but loses it's prowess on the off-road.

Happy trails y'all.

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 18, 2015

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I like catch up and slipstream, they make the whole race interesting, not just the first few minutes. I'm good at racing in this game for some reason, so I leave slipstream and catch up on so that I have to stay alert the whole time or risk pubby smashing. The trick to fun racing is never race with more than 3 other people if you care about winning. 8 player super car races are a cluster gently caress and can't be taken seriously. Makes me wish there was a burn out style takedown game mode actually...

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Splode posted:

I like catch up and slipstream, they make the whole race interesting, not just the first few minutes. I'm good at racing in this game for some reason, so I leave slipstream and catch up on so that I have to stay alert the whole time or risk pubby smashing. The trick to fun racing is never race with more than 3 other people if you care about winning. 8 player super car races are a cluster gently caress and can't be taken seriously. Makes me wish there was a burn out style takedown game mode actually...

There's nothing interesting about watching my 10+ second lead evaporate because catchup.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

geeves posted:

There's nothing interesting about watching my 10+ second lead evaporate because catchup.

I'd argue that it's way more interesting for everyone if you get rid of 10 second leads. Without catch up, every race I play is "reach first corner. I brake into it, accelerate out of it, look behind me, and see Pubbie McNubberson has gone straight into the crash barrier. I gain a huge lead and never see him again".

With catchup, I've got the lead, but he'll be right behind me by the end of the next straight, so I have to make no mistakes. If I do gently caress up and he gets ahead, catch up is on, so I'll be ready for the next time he makes a mistake. It's way more tense and interesting.

With a 10 second lead you may as well just drive around in freemode the way most pubbies drive.

Dryer Lint
May 17, 2010

Biggest most lovable jerk on the internet.
:sun:

Splode posted:

So your really good at racing and yet your are racing against people who need handicaps in order to stand any chance of beating you. Now what's wrong with this picture.

Also ToPhats you should take off the extended penis fuel tanks.

Dryer Lint fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 18, 2015

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Splode posted:

I'd argue that it's way more interesting for everyone if you get rid of 10 second leads. Without catch up, every race I play is "reach first corner. I brake into it, accelerate out of it, look behind me, and see Pubbie McNubberson has gone straight into the crash barrier. I gain a huge lead and never see him again".

With catchup, I've got the lead, but he'll be right behind me by the end of the next straight, so I have to make no mistakes. If I do gently caress up and he gets ahead, catch up is on, so I'll be ready for the next time he makes a mistake. It's way more tense and interesting.

With a 10 second lead you may as well just drive around in freemode the way most pubbies drive.

Sorry, I race to win, not to give a poo poo what any other driver in the field thinks or feels is interesting.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I'm an idiot and left the fuel tanks on in the screenshots. The review is for a vehicle without the tanks!

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
Honestly, even for someone like me who is terrible at racing I dislike catch up. Winning is nice, but so is money and you get a decent payout for larger races if you finish near the top. I'm happy with that, so when I'm just trying to maintain 3rd place and some dick spins me out just about on the finish line it stinks on ice.

theguybro
Dec 16, 2012

Kelly posted:

Honestly, even for someone like me who is terrible at racing I dislike catch up. Winning is nice, but so is money and you get a decent payout for larger races if you finish near the top. I'm happy with that, so when I'm just trying to maintain 3rd place and some dick spins me out just about on the finish line it stinks on ice.

I'm actually a professional GTA racer standing at 309 wins and 469 losses.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I'm surprised this is such an unpopular opinion tbh.

Racing payouts are lovely even with lots of people, and the vast majority of pubbies are pretty bad, so I enjoy racing in a situation where a few bad drivers are deliberately trying to foul me up. If I just want to drive fast cars around, I do it in free roam. I had a race once with some random pubby on sanchezes. He stacked it pretty early on, but because we had catchup on, mistakes only put you on the back foot, rather than completely out of the race. The whole race was neck and neck as a result and good fun. Sure, I could've hosed up the last turn and he'd have won even though I'd made way fewer mistakes, but I'd rather have a close race than a guaranteed win.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Just logged on, saw the prices for the new stuff...

So, when's the next money lobby?

theguybro
Dec 16, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Just logged on, saw the prices for the new stuff...

So, when's the next money lobby?

too night.

i need soem millies to buy some new poo poo

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Affordable and Fun: The Vapid Sandking XL

Happy trails y'all.

I enjoy these, keep doing them.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Halo14 posted:

Thank you, I was thinking they were pointless

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I will race with catch up on or off, but if catch up is off I prefer non-contact.

My real problem with catch up off is that a race can be decided by the start positions, especially in non contact. I have raced The Commute and have both won and lost when I and another racer never strayed more than a car length from the distance that separated us at the start. If I was at pole position when the race started I won, if I wasn't then I lost. I admit it is rare, but it happens.

Catch up on is just a different set of skills dealing with a different set of things to win the race. You can win both reliably with practice. The vast majority of all players are really horrible either way.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I dig them! Can I request one on the Sultan, aka my favorite rally car in the game? :allears:

I know it won't do well at rock climbing, but that thing is a blast to launch over hills and mountains.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

You convinced me to invest my hard-earned fakebux in a Mesa, so v:shobon:v

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I like the look of the Karen Futo but I've done some upgrades and it still handles terribly - does it get any better fully modded?

I guess it's supposed to be a drift car but I want to do rally with some sort of control :)

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Halo14 posted:

I like the look of the Karen Futo but I've done some upgrades and it still handles terribly - does it get any better fully modded?

I guess it's supposed to be a drift car but I want to do rally with some sort of control :)

No, it's worse fully modded. It's as if it has magic non-stick tires.

Dryer Lint
May 17, 2010

Halo14 posted:

Futo's pretty great as a drift car modded. If you don't want to slide around everywhere then use more breaks/feather the throttle.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Splode posted:

:saddowns:

Oh well, I'll save my fake money then.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Splode posted:

Stick all traction and braking mods on, leave off acceleration? Seems like a car you don't want to get if you hate being a drift god.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

theguybro posted:

too night.

i need soem millies to buy some new poo poo

What time. I still need that golden Airplane...

Dryer Lint
May 17, 2010

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Stick all traction and braking mods on, leave off acceleration? Seems like a car you don't want to get if you hate being a drift god.

You wanna roleplay Initial D with me later? We can pretend like there's tofu in our coffee cups and poo poo. And then I can take off my racing helmet and that's when you'll realize I'm actually a beautiful if flat chested woman. You can fall hopelessly in love with me even though I never notice you which inspires you to win the driftu championships. But in the end I'll fall for the guy who comes in second place because he understands what it is to love driftuing and you'll realize you've lost your way.

Dryer Lint fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jun 18, 2015

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Halo14 posted:

Likewise they are neat.

And ohgod what have I missed in the past 5 pages.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Dryer Lint posted:

You wanna roleplay Initial D with me later? We can pretend like there's tofu in our coffee cups and poo poo. And then I can take off my racing helmet and that's when you'll realize I'm actually a beautiful if flat chested woman. You can fall hopelessly in love with me even though I never notice you which inspires you to win the driftu championships. But in the end I'll fall for the guy who comes in second place because he understands what it is to love driftuing and you'll realize you've lost your way.

I uhhh... what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Tried to play tonight but got a "could not load your profile from the rock star cloud... Etc etc". Apparently it's a known thing for every platform and the solution is... wait like four hours an it'll go away by itself. Bravo.

• Locked thread