Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

AAB posted:

god damnit. I forgot how to audit login/logouts for accounts that validate against AD since I haven't done it in 2 years. Any suggestions? Looks like I'm starting to move into the "ok whats going on, but set up easy reports" action for my supervisors.

Enable Account Logon and Logon success and failure auditing on your machines using a GPO. Collect somewhere (the ACS Collector in SCOM is great at the collection part of this), report against events 4624 for logons. Logoff auditing is terrible because there are cases where logging off doesn't generate a logoff event.

Better reports are around Group Membership changes because these are typically changes in security access as well as Account Create, Delete, Enable/Disable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Nintendo Kid posted:

H1B's don't have to be paid equal to the same job title worked by native workers, they just can't be paid less than the minimum wage plus a bit honestly.

Interesting, but not even remotely true:

Dredd posted:

The law establishes certain standards in order to protect similarly employed U.S. workers from being adversely affected by the employment of the nonimmigrant workers, as well as to protect the H-1B nonimmigrant workers. Employers must attest to the Department of Labor that they will pay wages to the H-1B nonimmigrant workers that are at least equal to the actual wage paid by the employer to other workers with similar experience and qualifications for the job in question, or the prevailing wage for the occupation in the area of intended employment – whichever is greater.

Tab8715 posted:

We've all heard about American workers being replaced by H1Bs however what I don't understand how does this benefit the company?

The U.S. Labor Department of labor enforces that H1Bs are paid at least equal to their local counterparts. So, where's the cost savings?

Sure, you can say there's job title manipulation but that's an employer committing fraud and if you look up salaries on h1bdata.info they're often inline with local wages.

Where's the benefit?
Some employers put out an unmeetable requisition to get H1Bs, then hire H1Bs with a similar, but not identical role.

In general, thought, H1Bs aren't a short-term cost savings measure, and they're not intended to be, except in the same way contract workers vs FTEs are. You have a short-term need for skills you don't have and can't find in your market.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

There are some software vendors doing some interesting things with privileged account management, authorization, and monitoring. CyberArk, ObserveIT, Centrify, Osirium, and I'm sure others.

Solutions like this aren't more popular due to cost, complexity, and overhead. Imagine every time you needed to perform an administrative task you had to request permission for access to the appropriate account or resource, wait for that permission to be approved by someone in the approval chain, and then make the change.

I don't remember which one I was looking at, but one or more of them had some nifty high security setups where Admin A and Admin B only knew half of the password, and they both had to enter their half for the authorization to go through.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

syg posted:

So how do you deal with this at smaller companies though where you often have one engineer who knows everything and everyone relies on. Even in medium companies. Usually these IT departments are too small for real silos or separation of duties.

We have this problem as well, but I'm the guy who has all the keys. Our department is 10 people but most of them are junior and I can't see a scenario where I wouldn't have access to something because as the architect I often have my hands in all of the pots a bit to help guide them and make sure things are being done according to plan.

Most basic steps for smaller companies:

1. Make sure everyone has individual admin logins rather than a shared logon so that one person is accountable for the actions of an account.
2. If on AD, stop using domain admin as an easy way out. Delegate permissions to a group for admin access and use non-priviledged service accounts for apps.
2. Seriously, figure out a way that one person can't delete both the live data and the backups. Have a MSP do the backups, or go with a cloud solution, and control access to it.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Does anyone have any good websites/books to recommend for getting to know Confluence better besides the official documentation? I want to work on making a better dashboard see how I can organize things better.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Truga posted:

I work for a smallish web/pr agency of just under 30 people. I'm the only sysa/helpdesk/whatnot there, and thus obviously simply have access to *everything* that ever existed. It's just something your boss has to be comfortable trusting you with.

I more worry about what will happen if I get hit by a truck tomorrow, tbh. I have everything documented as well as possible, and all the poo poo can still be accessed by my boss in a case of emergency in my absence, but having someone new fumble around for a week after I'm gone wouldn't be pretty :v:

Sounds like it would be a good idea to shell out for key man insurance, they can use the proceeds for consultants to get things in order if you get hit by a truck.

skipdogg posted:

There are some software vendors doing some interesting things with privileged account management, authorization, and monitoring. CyberArk, ObserveIT, Centrify, Osirium, and I'm sure others.

Solutions like this aren't more popular due to cost, complexity, and overhead. Imagine every time you needed to perform an administrative task you had to request permission for access to the appropriate account or resource, wait for that permission to be approved by someone in the approval chain, and then make the change.

Some of these options have the authorization done automatically. Like most things, it won't help against a rogue sysadmin who just wants to break things, but it's still a good security measure. Admin requests permission to X, the system generates credentials that expire in 6 hours or so. Everything is logged and can be audited, and you don't have critical credentials just floating around.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Nice timing on the H1B discussion, Disney just cancelled their tech worker layoffs (probably due to the Times picking up the story)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/us/in-turnabout-disney-cancels-tech-worker-layoffs.html

When the laid off workers are training the H1Bs on how to do their job for less, it's obvious that the program is not being used as intended

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Roargasm posted:

Nice timing on the H1B discussion, Disney just cancelled their tech worker layoffs (probably due to the Times picking up the story)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/17/us/in-turnabout-disney-cancels-tech-worker-layoffs.html

When the laid off workers are training the H1Bs on how to do their job for less, it's obvious that the program is not being used as intended
This is the story of corporate America, H1B or not. My dad had the same situation with his adjuster job at Travelers, except instead of H1B employees, it was 24-year-olds that cost a lot less than a senior adjuster with 40 years experience in the auto industry. If we provide those kinds of worker protections, we shouldn't focus too hard on the H1B side of things -- xenophobia is distracting us from who the problem is.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
"gpupdate /force" is non consensual.

stop perpetuating the rape culture.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ZetsurinPower posted:

Did I miss something?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
One of the only glaring errors I encountered at the new place was that they allowed non-complex AD passwords that never expire. Terrible. In order to dull the pain of switching them to a sensible standard I suggested investing a hefty $10 in Secret Server Express, particularly because we use so many web-based services and I expect users are using similarly poor password hygiene for those as well. I'll let you know if I wind up with villagers at my door wielding torches and pitchforks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ZetsurinPower posted:

Classy post, IT thread.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
The Assistant Director of a department I haven't really dealt with before just replied to someone's (fairly serious, though not especially critical) emailed question with (basically) "Lol, I don't know. lol." The lol's were there.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
We have a pretty decent security awareness where I work. Passwords for key systems are separated and placed in a vault, with a combination that requires two people. There's decent auditing, although I want more. We don't use a password manager for privileged access yet, but we're putting together a project to get CyberArk in place.

And then there's the board, who took one look at our password policy, said "Yeah we're not following that" and threw enough of a hissyfit that the CEO instructed us to set their passwords to never expire, and exempt them from the password requirements. At least I got them to use VPN rather than just plaintext email. Although I have no doubts that every document in the secure VPN area has just been downloaded to their tablets. That aren't domain joined and have no password policy. Again due to hissyfits.

People. People have always and will always be the problem with security. It doesn't matter how much technology you put together, someone with too much power and not enough smarts will just say "Nah, don't wanna" and there goes your whole system.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Antioch posted:

We have a pretty decent security awareness where I work. Passwords for key systems are separated and placed in a vault, with a combination that requires two people. There's decent auditing, although I want more. We don't use a password manager for privileged access yet, but we're putting together a project to get CyberArk in place.

And then there's the board, who took one look at our password policy, said "Yeah we're not following that" and threw enough of a hissyfit that the CEO instructed us to set their passwords to never expire, and exempt them from the password requirements. At least I got them to use VPN rather than just plaintext email. Although I have no doubts that every document in the secure VPN area has just been downloaded to their tablets. That aren't domain joined and have no password policy. Again due to hissyfits.

People. People have always and will always be the problem with security. It doesn't matter how much technology you put together, someone with too much power and not enough smarts will just say "Nah, don't wanna" and there goes your whole system.

Ugh. Preaching to the choir. I don't want to post too many specifics, but over the last couple of years we've really improved overall security, management of corporate data and devices, etc, except the very top echelons of the company don't want to play by the same rules. The people with the most important access exempt themselves from everything. It's beyond frustrating, but there's not poo poo you can do about it, so I just say gently caress it now.

Here's a fun example

Policy: ONLY CORPORATE OWNED, DOMAIN JOINED WINDOWS MACHINES CAN ACCESS INTERNAL COMPANY WIRELESS NETWORKS. Period. 802.1X certificate authentication only. Mac and Linux users are SOL.

reality: stumble across AD group one day named Corporate_Wireless_Exception that contains most high ranking folks in the company and allows simple username/password authentication to the corporate internal wireless network :smith: Yes, most of those high ranking folks use non domain joined computers or Macs. I support a large contingent of developers that use Mac and Linux. I have to tell them to use the Guest WiFi and VPN to access corporate resources.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

ZetsurinPower posted:

TRIGGER WARNING: GPO published deskjet printer

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

evol262 posted:

Interesting, but not even remotely true:

Some employers put out an unmeetable requisition to get H1Bs, then hire H1Bs with a similar, but not identical role.

In general, thought, H1Bs aren't a short-term cost savings measure, and they're not intended to be, except in the same way contract workers vs FTEs are. You have a short-term need for skills you don't have and can't find in your market.

I assume most places that want to use H1B or any other sort of inexpensive staff to replace existing employees structure it the way Disney did. Nobody gets fired and replaced by someone cheaper. You get RIF'd and the entire class of job you did is replaced by a contract with a service provider, who happens to be able to provide the service cheaply because they use cheap labor of debatable quality. The company realizes short term savings and acts very surprised when the service provider sucks.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

hihifellow posted:

TRIGGER WARNING: GPO published deskjet printer

I am printgender, my pronouns are pri/pre/prim

check your printvilege

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

skipdogg posted:

Ugh. Preaching to the choir. I don't want to post too many specifics, but over the last couple of years we've really improved overall security, management of corporate data and devices, etc, except the very top echelons of the company don't want to play by the same rules. The people with the most important access exempt themselves from everything. It's beyond frustrating, but there's not poo poo you can do about it, so I just say gently caress it now.

Here's a fun example

Policy: ONLY CORPORATE OWNED, DOMAIN JOINED WINDOWS MACHINES CAN ACCESS INTERNAL COMPANY WIRELESS NETWORKS. Period. 802.1X certificate authentication only. Mac and Linux users are SOL.

reality: stumble across AD group one day named Corporate_Wireless_Exception that contains most high ranking folks in the company and allows simple username/password authentication to the corporate internal wireless network :smith: Yes, most of those high ranking folks use non domain joined computers or Macs. I support a large contingent of developers that use Mac and Linux. I have to tell them to use the Guest WiFi and VPN to access corporate resources.

Do you apply more strict policy to VPN users as compared to the internal wireless users?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

evol262 posted:

If the intention is to find talent that doesn't exist in the Country then why in the Visa Worker program is it that they don't have to look for local talent first?

And aside from that, don't contract workers save companies money in the long-run? You pay straight-up cash, no benefits and even less labor rights. Granted, this is now changing but the point still stands.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Any suggestions on how to handle career growth in a flat organization? I had to quit my last job because of doing too much generalist-type stuff, and not having a focus for a career path. Switched jobs, ended up being a lot better. However, management has started to flatten our department and merging some of the roles together. This also gave other departments the idea to dump some of their work onto us, permanently, and our department is gladly accepting these new responsibilities. Problem is, my team and I are at 100% utilization, and there is no talk of hiring new people to handle the additional work. I've voiced all these concerns to my manager, but he's new here and doesn't have the knowledge to say No to any of these requests. End of the day, we're getting additional work and taking on responsibilities out of our comfort zone (handling more long-term project work, and account management type things).

I, hired into an escalated support role, have started to cover some of the Tier 1 stuff on a rotating basis which is not at all why I took this job in the first place. My VP is calling this an "upskilling" effort but from my perspective it looks like "let's just dump all this work onto the Support department and let them figure it out."

There is a position above me, a much more highly technical position that doesn't really fit into the realm of Support that will still take me a year or two to reach. I've made my career path clear to get into this role, but now I don't even see myself having time to study or earn that position. I'm just hoping this job doesn't turn out to be like the last one. Aside from these recent changes, otherwise I like the work and can't really complain.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
H1bs are just another chapter in the book of Outsource Everything

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Server guy let me rack a server and configure it :unsmith:

It was fairly basic and nothing I wouldn't have done on a desktop, but hopefully this leads to big show. I'm studying for MCSA, still deciding on whether to do 2012 or 2008.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Roargasm posted:

10% of base salary is loving insulting as severance pay.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

skooma512 posted:

It was fairly basic and nothing I wouldn't have done on a desktop, but hopefully this leads to big show. I'm studying for MCSA, still deciding on whether to do 2012 or 2008.

If you're starting from scratch, do 2012. All the higher concepts are pretty much the same, so differences are either in implantation, or new features.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

If the intention is to find talent that doesn't exist in the Country then why in the Visa Worker program is it that they don't have to look for local talent first?
That depends. H1B dependent employers (with a high percentage of H1Bs) have a lot of limits. But it's all totally skewed by the huge outsourcing firms that dominate the H1B lottery and farm the workers out.

Since H1Bs incur a significant cost to companies (lots of fees in sponsoring, travel costs, etc), and even filing to sponsor requires a job offer and a wage deemed to be market rate, there aren't good reasons why you'd want an H1B over a local worker if you could find one.

But for highly paid positions (like anything in IT), the provisions are weaker. Largely driven by the idea that wages beyond a certain point are market driven.

Tab8715 posted:

And aside from that, don't contract workers save companies money in the long-run? You pay straight-up cash, no benefits and even less labor rights. Granted, this is now changing but the point still stands.

The labor rights of W2 contractors (most contract workers) are pretty much the same as a regular employee.

And yes, you pay straight cash. At a much higher rate than you would to actually retain that worker as an FTE, with provisions in the contract against hiring without paying the firm a finder's fee. Because it's hard to find qualified people. Dark Helmut can give a far more complete answer, but I know what companies were paying the firm to retain me when I was contracting, and it would have been cheaper to outright hire me.

Additionally, there are intangibles (tangible for labor economists) like loss of business knowledge and process knowledge, lost productivity in replacing the worker and retraining the replacement (or waiting for them to come up to speed in their role) every 6-18 months, etc.

But it's easier accounting for some places without an ongoing business need for services (or a position) to contract "support for project foobar" then it is to fight for internal resources to fill that need against other business constraints and other teams competing for the same resources.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Two weeks into my new job as a systems admin, loving it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vintimus Prime posted:

Two weeks into my new job as a systems admin, loving it.

Give it time.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

skooma512 posted:

The first 5 or so are fun and exciting, now I look for guys like you to rack servers for me, cause I sure as poo poo don't want to do it :) Enjoy while it lasts

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Password-chat: SAS Edition

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13105463/jeff-luhnow-denies-using-old-passwords-left-st-louis-cardinals-houston-astros

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

skipdogg posted:

The first 5 or so are fun and exciting, now I look for guys like you to rack servers for me, cause I sure as poo poo don't want to do it :) Enjoy while it lasts

Every time I open a server box that doesn't have HP quick rails I die a little bit inside.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I really push for 2FA for any super important systems these days.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Tailored Sauce posted:

Any suggestions on how to handle career growth in a flat organization? I had to quit my last job because of doing too much generalist-type stuff, and not having a focus for a career path. Switched jobs, ended up being a lot better. However, management has started to flatten our department and merging some of the roles together. This also gave other departments the idea to dump some of their work onto us, permanently, and our department is gladly accepting these new responsibilities. Problem is, my team and I are at 100% utilization, and there is no talk of hiring new people to handle the additional work. I've voiced all these concerns to my manager, but he's new here and doesn't have the knowledge to say No to any of these requests. End of the day, we're getting additional work and taking on responsibilities out of our comfort zone (handling more long-term project work, and account management type things).

I, hired into an escalated support role, have started to cover some of the Tier 1 stuff on a rotating basis which is not at all why I took this job in the first place. My VP is calling this an "upskilling" effort but from my perspective it looks like "let's just dump all this work onto the Support department and let them figure it out."

There is a position above me, a much more highly technical position that doesn't really fit into the realm of Support that will still take me a year or two to reach. I've made my career path clear to get into this role, but now I don't even see myself having time to study or earn that position. I'm just hoping this job doesn't turn out to be like the last one. Aside from these recent changes, otherwise I like the work and can't really complain.

I'm in a company that's likely infinitesimal in size compared to yours and after our helpdesk guy got fired, am now doing helpdesk. He got canned in April, they're only now looking at hiring someone part-time.

I hate helpdesk and joined with the understanding that I'd be OK doing occasional cover if he was sick, not two jobs. Volume is down but that won't last, and to be honest, it's an emotional kick in the teeth whenever I have to reset another drat password.

There is no handling of vertical growth if your manager doesn't back you up already. You could always try talking to the people in that group, assuming the position is an open one or in the process of being created, but you'll probably end up having to do the work of the role before they promote you into it.

Your best bet is to :yotj: into the role you want, but I won't lie, having certs are a huge way to get yourself into the position. HR and recruiters love 'em, and you do learn a lot while prepping for them.

skooma512 posted:

I'm studying for MCSA, still deciding on whether to do 2012 or 2008.

Get 2k8, take the 2012 upgrade, and when available take the 2016 upgrade. You will have so much more leverage if you can walk in saying "I am certified in all current versions of Windows Server." It's a lot to do - maybe doable in a year if you study hard/often and lab up a lot, but it's five exams to freedom.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
One week in and I feel like a huge idiot for not knowing ccnp-level material. Long road ahead!

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

What? You're not intimately familiar with frame relay?! Shame on you.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Actually I've been doing ccnp security stuff without ever having studied it at all. I would be all over a frame relay ticket right now instead of router certs.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

This is the story of corporate America, H1B or not. My dad had the same situation with his adjuster job at Travelers, except instead of H1B employees, it was 24-year-olds that cost a lot less than a senior adjuster with 40 years experience in the auto industry. If we provide those kinds of worker protections, we shouldn't focus too hard on the H1B side of things -- xenophobia is distracting us from who the problem is.

The H1B visa program exists to allow skilled workers to fulfill a shortage after many requirements are met. If this program is causing tax payers to lose jobs it is not an issue of xenophobia. If the program is causing more hard than good it is not going to be supported as a policy.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

lampey posted:

The H1B visa program exists to allow skilled workers to fulfill a shortage after many requirements are met. If this program is causing tax payers to lose jobs it is not an issue of xenophobia. If the program is causing more hard than good it is not going to be supported as a policy.

lol oh if only

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Today someone didn't believe that I could change their desktop backgrounds. So a few hours later they got a nice greasy picture of shia lebeouf locked on their screen. I didn't know how to remotely force a gp update without powershell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Any commvault to swift backup guys here? Can you shed some light on this mystical error code.

Press '1' to continue or '0' to back to the previous menu [1]:
Failed to check Container [CommVault] status, error: Error = 44088