Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

MoraleHazard posted:

Looking for some advice. I'm currently running a Intel Core i7 3820 w/ 16gb of ram CyberpowerPC machine. The GPU is a AMD Radeon HD 7770 1gb and I'm thinking about upgrading it.

I'd like to keep the budget in the ~$300 range or lower and only run two monitors. Thanks.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&sku=104474&vpn=04G-P4-3975-KR&manufacture=eVGA&promoid=1349
That's a nice combo deal on a nice EVGA card, if you're in the U.S.

There was a MSI R9 290 on newegg last week for 239$, if you can find one in that price range it's not shabby either. Just make sure it has 2-3 open fans, not a closed blower design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

To be fair it depends a lot on the game you're playing. If you check some of the other games the 290 and 290x beat the 970 and 980 or are neck and neck with them.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Tanreall posted:

To be fair it depends a lot on the game you're playing. If you check some of the other games the 290 and 290x beat the 970 and 980 or are neck and neck with them.

True, but if you check later reviews you'll find that the Nvidia cards get smoother while the AMD cards get choppier over all. For instance in the 980 Ti review the plain old 980(unfortunately they did not test the 970 in that review) very decisively beats the 290X and in some cases the 295X2 in Project Cars, The Witcher 3, GTA5, Far Cry 4, Alien: Isolation, Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3. The AMD cards only do better in Civilization: Beyond Earth.

I've just noticed a pattern where the Nvidia cards turn out smoother results for a majority of games and especially newer games. AMD may fix it in drivers at some point and I hope they do, but until then I feel that it is important that people know about this because slow down and stutter are the sort of things that will most often make a game feel like it is preforming badly even if the average frame rate is fairly high.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Do you know if they're testing non-reference 290s? I could maybe see throttling contributing to that.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
They used a ASUS 290x in the 980Ti review.

http://techreport.com/review/28356/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-graphics-card-reviewed/3

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Cool, nice to be able to control for that variable.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

BurritoJustice posted:

Nail number two in the Fury coffin for me, considering my obscure combo of DVI QNIX and HDMI 2.0 55" 4K Samsung TV which I use my computer with on occasion.

Just skimmed your posts throughout this thread, yeah I bet you were really considering an AMD card.

edit: Anyway, AMD appears to be on the right track and after the statements they put out a few weeks ago, it will be interesting to see where they go with their high end over the next couple years and how that trickles down to the rest of their line. I usually buy in the $150-200 range and I doubt that it will be worthwhile to upgrade this cycle from a 270x, and a 960 isn't interesting. We shall see.

beejay fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 18, 2015

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The AMD cards only do better in Civilization: Beyond Earth.

...which was tested on the Mantle renderer. DX11 can't die soon enough for AMD, their implementation is a mess.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Why can't nvidias warranty transfer. Almost had a cheap x deal on ebay

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

beejay posted:

Just skimmed your posts throughout this thread, yeah I bet you were really considering an AMD card.

Hey maybe not, but it nice not even having to think about 980ti vs Fury when the AMD option can't run either of the screens I currently use properly.

E: Personal biases aside, lacking DL-DVI and HDMI 2.0 are both very real complaints for a brand new 2015 GPU. Especially considering AMD's Fiji living room PC thing that won't even be able to do proper 4K on modern televisions.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 18, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Tanreall posted:

It also depends on the resolution and settings. The 970 wins at 1080p, no question, but when you start stepping up to 1440p and 4K while keeping the quality settings at Ultra the 290/x can better utilize their memory bandwidth and ROP power. The 290X performs about the same as a 980 at 4K Ultra.

FaustianQ posted:

Based on what little has been throw out though, the 980 looks like an awful card to buy as it's stomped flat by Fury NotX, and both look to have similar prices. 980s got to drop, but how far is the question. I'd personally go for a Fury NotX but the lack of DVI-D is killing me.

I'd say $450 is where it'd need to be.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 18, 2015

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Did AMD mention when we can expect to see some third party Fury benchmarks?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
More info from the Nano: http://www.techpowerup.com/213556/amd-radeon-r9-nano-to-feature-a-single-pcie-power-connector.html

Article posted:

AMD CEO Lisa Su, speaking at the company's E3 conference, stated that the R9 Nano will be faster than the Radeon R9 290X. That shouldn't surprise us, since it's a bigger chip; but it's the electrical specs, that make this product exciting - a single 8-pin PCIe power input, with a typical board power rated at 175W

Edit:
Slides from the presentation:
http://imgur.com/a/piDSt

benzine fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 18, 2015

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Thanks for all the replies, links, and tip on the open fan. Does anyone know if there would be issues w/ replacing the 7770 with a 290,290x, with respect to the PSU or anything else or should it just be popping one out and the new one in?

Also google is telling me MSI and ASUS are decent manufacturers, anyone else?

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 18, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Actually, I might hold until the Fury Nano gets benched, that's some hot (cold) poo poo right there, drat. If it's beating up a 290X, and ships for 450$, I can't even think of buying a 980.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

MoraleHazard posted:

Thanks for all the replies and links. Does anyone know if there would be issues w/ replacing the 7770 with a 290,290x, with respect to the PSU or anything else or should it just be popping one out and the new one in?

You'll want a good quality 500W PSU with dual 8-pin connectors, the good 290/X cards can be pretty power hungry. Other than that it's as simple as popping it in and connecting a couple wires.

FaustianQ posted:

Actually, I might hold until the Fury Nano gets benched, that's some hot (cold) poo poo right there, drat. If it's beating up a 290X, and ships for 450$, I can't even think of buying a 980.

You might be waiting a while since we don't even have a release date yet.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

Thanks for all the replies and links. Does anyone know if there would be issues w/ replacing the 7770 with a 290,290x, with respect to the PSU or anything else or should it just be popping one out and the new one in?

Any idea what your power supply is? If you don't but can pop the side off and take a picture of the table on the thing showing the various ratings, that would also work.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Any idea what your power supply is? If you don't but can pop the side off and take a picture of the table on the thing showing the various ratings, that would also work.

I'll check tomorrow. Thanks.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You might be waiting a while since we don't even have a release date yet.

I'm in no rush right now, and I'd rather make a sound investment. Of course, waiting forever for the better deal tends to mean never buying anything.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

I'm in no rush right now, and I'd rather make a sound investment. Of course, waiting forever for the better deal tends to mean never buying anything.

Nahh, the Nano's cool but the HBM 2 cards are just around the corner....

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

xthetenth posted:

Nahh, the Nano's cool but the HBM 2 cards are just around the corner....

*Corner being 12 months.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I am loathe to admit it, but I'm kind of in this camp. Let me known when AMD refreshes their workstation cards with HBM. I want to shove one those into the new form-factor dock that MSI showed off at Computex.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150705
170$(-20 MIR) for Dirt Rally with a free R9 280 (aka 7950) thrown in

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Didn't know XFX did DD coolers for the 280. I guess they had too many 7950/7970 DD coolers laying around and said "eh, gently caress it, a rebrand's a rebrand".

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Kazinsal posted:

Didn't know XFX did DD coolers for the 280. I guess they had too many 7950/7970 DD coolers laying around and said "eh, gently caress it, a rebrand's a rebrand".

The PCB on the 390/390x is identical down to PN with the 290/290x isn't it?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

A good cooler's a good cooler, why not use them?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Did they announce if the R9 Nano uses HBM?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Space Racist posted:

Isn't it implied?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Space Racist posted:

There's absolutely no way AMD made up a totally different architecture just to make a GDDR5 version of Fury. There is exactly one (1) chip coming out right now, everything is different coolers and cut-downs from there.

HBM just lets you make a small card because there's less space for memory chips.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I think the Nano is proof that AMD probably wanted to go with R9 390s with HBM and move the 290s down to the 380 slot, but yields were/are too low. In any case, I think AMD can release a near full HBM1/HBM2 lineup for 2016.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hooray, AMD's not dead!

Hopefully my 290 will be sufficient for at least a year, maybe two. I'm fine with 1080p.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

FaustianQ posted:

I think the Nano is proof that AMD probably wanted to go with R9 390s with HBM and move the 290s down to the 380 slot, but yields were/are too low. In any case, I think AMD can release a near full HBM1/HBM2 lineup for 2016.

Not going to happen. Both Nvidia and AMD are still releasing cards with DDR3 even though GDDR5 has been on the market for many years. HBM is mondo expensive to be put in ~$150 cards so most likely AMD will put HBM on x90 series, possibly x80 but not any others. Nvidia might limit HBM2 to just Titan and compute cards (aka Big Pascal) and rely on GDDR5 and memory compression for the rest of the lineup.

Rosoboronexport fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 18, 2015

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Yea you probably won't see either vendor with a full HBM lineup from top to bottom for years. The cost of HBM and the necessary interposer are just too high.

That plus HBM is only really necessary for higher end cards right now too. Moderate to high clocked GDDR5 on the wide buses that are used by GPU's is still pretty good for delivering gobs of bandwidth.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Rosoboronexport posted:

Not going to happen. Both Nvidia and AMD are still releasing cards with DDR3 even though GDDR5 has been on the market for many years. HBM is mondo expensive to be put in ~$150 cards so most likely AMD will put HBM on x90 series, possibly x80 but not any others. Nvidia might limit HBM2 to just Titan and compute cards (aka Big Pascal) and rely on GDDR5 and memory compression for the rest of the lineup.

I overgeneralized, and your correct, maybe R9 cards with HBM of some sort, but R7 is likely to be stuck with GDDR5 until something like 2018-19. DDR3 will never go away because it's chip as hell and low end cards don't deserve better :colbert:

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD
By 2018-2019 I don't think we'll have low end cards. IGP will take on that role.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tanreall posted:

By 2018-2019 I don't think we'll have low end cards. IGP will take on that role.

With the performance on Skylake I'd say this will happen far, far sooner. OEMs are probably salivating at the thought of putting out more super-small pre-builts that don't suffer from anemic IGPs.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You'll want a good quality 500W PSU with dual 8-pin connectors, the good 290/X cards can be pretty power hungry. Other than that it's as simple as popping it in and connecting a couple wires.

My machine has a 700w power supply, but the current card is connected with a single six pin connector.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

MoraleHazard posted:

My machine has a 700w power supply, but the current card is connected with a single six pin connector.

I would be VERY leery of that PSU. Google searching turned up some horror stories. The PC upgrading & parts picking thread should be able to steer you to a good upgrade.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

MoraleHazard posted:

Replace that PSU. It's probably a super cheap one and ones like that tend to fail in spectacular fashion, i.e. they send a nice power surge through all your other parts in their death throes and fry everything. I had a bad PSU take out my video card once, don't let it happen to you.

So yeah, check out the PC parts picking thread for a replacement PSU before you do anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139048

600W Corsair Modular PSU for $45. Granted, $20 is in a prepaid card, but still.