Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Pope Guilty posted:

One of the show's creators spent like a decade as half of Mors Syphlitica and has a band that covers Bauhaus, and it shows. (Their cover of "The Passion of Lovers" is gorgeous.)

Excuse me, that's THE Bauhaus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

theflyingexecutive posted:

Is that the one that makes driving through New Jersey at night look like Mordor?

Yes, that's the one. That's literally what the line is referencing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love the commentaries explained the weird drinks that Dean is always having. I had heard Bodego mentioned on Brooklyn 99 but had no idea they carried that brand of pop.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Bodega is a general term for shady little corner markets, it's not a soft drink brand.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They're named after the Briton queen who fought the Romans

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

notZaar posted:

Bodega is a general term for shady little corner markets, it's not a soft drink brand.

Not shady, just corner store. Sometimes shady.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The kind of store that's a nice and pleasant place to stop and grab a soda and some smokes or whatever, but pay cash.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

And they have cats and loosies.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Loosies all day

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Just noticed that Sergeant Hatred is now Sergeant VD

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

theflyingexecutive posted:

And they have cats and loosies.

I know a loosie is a single cigarette, but whats a cat?

The fact that Bodega bought soda is such a reoccurring thing, it really gives an idea of the place that Doc and Jackson live and work in.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

JD posted:

Just noticed that Sergeant Hatred is now Sergeant VD

Sgt Vatred.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cojawfee posted:

Sgt Vatred.

Uncle Vatred.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

twistedmentat posted:

I know a loosie is a single cigarette, but whats a cat?

The fact that Bodega bought soda is such a reoccurring thing, it really gives an idea of the place that Doc and Jackson live and work in.

A cat is a domestic feline. You know, a cat.

Doc and Jackson live in NYC, where bodegas and cats are common.

JD
Jan 11, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Sgt Vatred.

But he had the rest lasered off so I guess it's more like Sgt. V D

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Doc Hammer owns a ghost that cleans his cat's litter box.

At least that's what I remember from the commentaries, but I might be wrong.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lord Frisk posted:

A cat is a domestic feline. You know, a cat.

Doc and Jackson live in NYC, where bodegas and cats are common.

I thought cat was some kind of funky NYC slang for something.

So I realized that when Phantom Limb escapes the Guild's dungeon, it was because the Sovereign was helping him. When Chuck and the rest escape the file cabinet, its like "wait, are they real?" but once you see what happens later, it makes sense.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Bodega cats are the best

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Ithaqua posted:

"Brock, I'm all out of condom. Could you pick me up one if you go out?"

Come on, Brock! Two young studs like us? We're show ponies, we need to strut our stuff! What say we make the scene? :c00l:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Ithaqua posted:

"Brock, I'm all out of condom. Could you pick me up one if you go out?"

What I like about that line, at least as I remember it, is that he's telling Brock to do this over breakfast or somesuch with the whole Venture family, so he says something like "Condo" to try to slip it past the boys.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So where would I go if I wanted to liven up my walls with a Venture Brothers poster? All I can find are knockoffs on Etsy.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

NowonSA posted:

What I like about that line, at least as I remember it, is that he's telling Brock to do this over breakfast or somesuch with the whole Venture family, so he says something like "Condo" to try to slip it past the boys.

"And so what if I am? The boys need a new mommy. Rusty needs a new mommy."

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Did they ever explain how they got Stephen Colbert to come back?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Red posted:

Is that really something that needs an explanation? Presumably it went something like:

Doc Hammer: Hey Stephen, we're doing a Venture movie-thing. Are you okay with voicing Professor Impossible for it?

Stephen Colbert: Sounds good. Just schedule it with my agent and I'll pop by and record my dialogue.

Doc Hammer: Thanks, see you then.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

johntfs posted:

Is that really something that needs an explanation? Presumably it went something like:

Doc Hammer: Hey Stephen, we're doing a Venture movie-thing. Are you okay with voicing Professor Impossible for it?

Stephen Colbert: Sounds good. Just schedule it with my agent and I'll pop by and record my dialogue.

Doc Hammer: Thanks, see you then.

The last time they asked him to come back, his agent blew them off. I'd think it might be a neat detail for a commentary track.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Red posted:

The last time they asked him to come back, his agent blew them off. I'd think it might be a neat detail for a commentary track.

I thought I heard that Colbert found out and was unhappy about, but I don't remember where.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Stephen Colbert may not have anyone to put words in his mouth right now, but that doesn't he has time for your rinky-dink cartoon show: Venture Bros. creator Jackson Publick has caused a minor stir on some of the geekier blogs out there (hey, like this one!) with the news that Colbert has declined to reprise his voiceover role as" Professor Impossible" in the show's upcoming season. Although he noted that he expected this to happen "for reasons which probably have something to do with him being all super-famous, super-busy, and no longer in need of a few hundred bucks here and there," Publick says that the final brush-off was the unkindest cut of all: an email he received from one of Colbert's many assistants saying, "Stephen has neither the time nor the interest in participating in your project." On his own blog, Publick responded, "Was the 'nor the interest' really necessary? I would have bought the 'time' part without question, but man…you gotta kick a guy when he's down like that? Well maybe I'm not interested in your ice cream, mister!" ...

http://www.avclub.com/article/iventure-brosi-vs-stephen-colbert-10098

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

NowonSA posted:

No, just says condom, as in one condom. It's pretty funny.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Besides, it's not like he's trying to slip anything past the boys at that point. He wants everyone to notice his hickey. :smuggo:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Red posted:

Colbert isn't nearly as booked up as he became shortly after the last episode he was in was recorded. It's as simple as that.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Butterfly kisses! I learned these in prison.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
When you quote Killinger, do you hear it with his accent?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Mraagvpeine posted:

When you quote Killinger, do you hear it with his accent?

Your powers are useless on me, you silly billy.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I love mein job!

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

That chode she's with, that's Phantom Limb. When he was in college, he was a scrawny little wuss. In a desperate attempt to be cooler than guys like me, he had his 12-year-old roommate create a machine that speeds up the muscle building process. The machine worked so well that every molecule in his extremities was accelerated beyond the speed of light. There were two side effects. One! He could mess up a guy just by touching him. And two! He became a humorless dick!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

I love mein job!

You said it, killer! And you can read more about it in the Bible!

Not only do I always hear Killenger's voice and accent when I see or write a quote of his, but I imitate that voice when I say the actual quotes. The same thing happens with Sgt. Hatred, as a matter of fact. And to a lesser degree, Dr. Orpheus. (And St. Cloud.)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

twistedmentat posted:

I thought cat was some kind of funky NYC slang for something.

So I realized that when Phantom Limb escapes the Guild's dungeon, it was because the Sovereign was helping him. When Chuck and the rest escape the file cabinet, its like "wait, are they real?" but once you see what happens later, it makes sense.

How do you figure the sovereign was helping him? He can telepathically control his two remaining limbs, so they kicked rear end. Did I miss something?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

IIRC Colbert actually wanted to do the voice and it was just an assistant fuckup. By the time he found out they already had the other guy doing it. He came back when he could.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
It's staggering how many people have played Prof. Richard Impossible. First Jackson Publick's brother in the pilot, then Colbert, then Jackson, then Bill Hader, then back to Colbert again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Reset Smith posted:

It's staggering how many people have played Prof. Richard Impossible. First Jackson Publick's brother in the pilot, then Colbert, then Jackson, then Bill Hader, then back to Colbert again.

An IMPOSSIBLE number!