Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Holy gently caress I've been in this crater for a scant few minutes and my personal radiation level is already at 6 despite full light survivor gear. Should I get the gently caress out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Does environmental protection actually block radiation? I thought only things that specifically mentioned they blocked radiation was effective. Stuff like cleansuits and hazmat suits and AEP suits and things like that.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Does environmental protection actually block radiation? I thought only things that specifically mentioned they blocked radiation was effective. Stuff like cleansuits and hazmat suits and AEP suits and things like that.

I dunno. I went ahead and cleared the crater (nothing but stone rubble, rocks, and a single heavy frame) and left in my car with 31 radiation. I should be ok I think.

Edit: there seems to be a bunch of other craters in the area. A large one near the mall. All rocky rubble though and not the metal wreckage. Im not sure if it is gonna be worth clearing them all if they have all been actually successfully bombed into bits.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 18, 2015

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

Antifungal did the trick. Thanks, everyone!

As for an update on my lab incursion:

:suspense: Holy loving poo poo. I didn't think that a terminal-graphics based roguelike could creep me out this much, but it did. It was almost like the Shalebridge Cradle from Thief: Deadly Shadows in terms of atmosphere.

Luckily, I picked up the recipe book for diamond weapons, which is good 'cause I have Niten Ichi-Ryu, but it says I need a "cvd machine" for the reaction. CDDA item browser says that that's a fake item. What do?

Other things I got were a few lab journals and the Rivtech design binder. No laser weapons so far, but I'm gonna hole up and skill up for a bit before I go back in.

Artificer posted:

Holy gently caress I've been in this crater for a scant few minutes and my personal radiation level is already at 6 despite full light survivor gear. Should I get the gently caress out?

:frogsiren::frogout::frogsiren:

No, but seriously, find a HAZMAT suit and some kind of ranged weapon before you go back in. If you have Fabrication 8 you could go for an ANBC suit. 4 encumbrance, but radiological and electrical immunity + decent armor.

EDIT: drat ninjas.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Welp. I hope 31 radiation is ok then.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Artificer posted:

I don't think anything serious starts happening before you reach 100 rads, just chow down on a few iodine tablets and go read some books or whatever and it should go away on its own over time

and meanwhile, I'm sad because a randomass computer crash during saving managed to do what all these turrets and tank drones didn't - wiped out my Robocop save :v: But I started a new game with the newest experimental and I'm collecting NPCs like Pokemon so it's all fine. Can't find guns for poo poo, though! I've only seen like, one or two gun stores so far, most of my stuff actually came from these gun basements.

cis_eraser_420 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 18, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Grimman007 posted:

Luckily, I picked up the recipe book for diamond weapons, which is good 'cause I have Niten Ichi-Ryu, but it says I need a "cvd machine" for the reaction. CDDA item browser says that that's a fake item. What do?

The "fake item" thing just means it can't be in your inventory, because a CVD machine is about the size of a car. They're one of the possible lab finales so you'll probably have to dive a lot of labs to find one, and bring all the crafting materials to it.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
This game is really dope. I still haven't survived a full 12 hours until the first sundown though. So I can't quite tell, is there a sprint or run button? I found posts saying there was one, but the game has seemingly changed a lot since it was released.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

President Ark posted:

I actually have nearly enough armor now to just thug through their shooting (they can only really damage my arms), I'm mostly just annoyed that someone gave me bad info. :mad:

If you stand in the light they can shoot you, but you should be able to see the light when you open the door, so open the door and check for light before you walk in front of it.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

UP AND ADAM posted:

This game is really dope. I still haven't survived a full 12 hours until the first sundown though. So I can't quite tell, is there a sprint or run button? I found posts saying there was one, but the game has seemingly changed a lot since it was released.

If you're rolling with the stable version, your character is kinda assumed to just be running all the time. The experimentals do have a stamina system and sprinting, though (but then you're also playing the version of the game with a pretty high potential for eventual fuckiness, of course)

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

UP AND ADAM posted:

Yeah, " toggles between walk/run. ? brings up a help menu. I'm not sure how useful everything else is in it, but the controls are usually up to date.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Gridlocked posted:

I just had an amazing start as a Mall Cop in a Mall.

There must be a giant ant's nest outside as I have ants invading the mall and zombies fighting them off.

Ants VS Zombies is real.

Now all you need is a giant baby to round things out.

I really want to make a ZAMN mod now.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

GlyphGryph posted:

Now all you need is a giant baby to round things out.

I really want to make a ZAMN mod now.

The greatest of feasts.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Artificer posted:

I left a sarcophagi surface building with 147 Rads of dosage and I never sprouted new whatevers or had my skin slough off, you'll probably be fine. Oddly the radiation dose I was suffering went down only a day or two later.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So I'm currently building some barriers as a vehicle, I want to make these powered so I can flick on floodlights and maybe even throw turrets on them (though by the time I can get my skills there I'm sure I would of emptied out the entire town...). So do the different engines have different efficiencies? Or does the type of engine only determine the speed of the vehicle?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So apparently a knife on a stick is hilariously effective at slaughtering basic zombies, especially if you're quick. I'm sure it won't hold up to tougher enemies though.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Basic weapons on basic zombies work pretty well unless there is a terrible lack of stats, like trying to kill a zombie with .22 CB. It's mostly when you have a mob of twelve of them coming at you with a shocker zombie to boot, that's when you have to start thinking about how you'll get out of that situation since special zombies are usually able to keep up with you and slow you down enough for a horde to catch up and eat you. Cutting your way through buildings and forcing them to bash down doors or finding a wrecked car for them to trip over becomes smarter courses of action at that point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

So apparently a knife on a stick is hilariously effective at slaughtering basic zombies, especially if you're quick. I'm sure it won't hold up to tougher enemies though.

Well, yeah, I mean a knife is pretty good but if you tie it to a stick then you completely outclass your zombie foe. Zombies can't compete with technology, knife on a stick is what put humans at the top of the food chain baby.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Can anyone recommend interesting settings for Worlds? Like if I wanna simulate Fallout is there a way to turn Zombies off? Or if I wanna do L4D is there a way to turn off everything bar zombies?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Leal posted:

So I'm currently building some barriers as a vehicle, I want to make these powered so I can flick on floodlights and maybe even throw turrets on them (though by the time I can get my skills there I'm sure I would of emptied out the entire town...). So do the different engines have different efficiencies? Or does the type of engine only determine the speed of the vehicle?

I'm mostly sure that electricity output is determined by the alternator rather than the engine, so for a generator on a stationary 'vehicle' your best bet would be a motorcycle engine with a truck alternator, or a half-dozen solar panels.

Technically storage batteries hold the most power, but unless you're really trying to miniaturize there's no reason not to weld a half-dozen car batteries throughout the vehicle for the same effect.

Dirk the Average posted:

I've lost well-skilled, well-armed, well-armoured characters to basic zombies. Most recently when I went around a corner, smacked right into a zombie brute, and got punched *through* a car. Managed to lose the brute by cutting through a house but the other side of a house was an empty field with a half-dozen basic zombies milling around, and I was hurting enough that they were faster than me.

The tough part of this game isn't to win fights under ideal circumstances, it's to win (or avoid) them when everything goes wrong.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
The game has a wonderfully goofy difficulty curve; surviving your first couple of nights can be really dicey, but if you find a source of water and a source of fire and you have some knowledge of the game mechanics, you can usually easily coast until you can start putting together the stuff to trivialize the midgame (ie, killing/surviving zombies). Once that's dealt with the world is usually your oyster, and you basically only are put at risk by things you choose to put yourself at risk to.

As for stationary 'vehicle' structures, there's no reason not to just rig them with solar power unless you can't find a few solar panels. One or two panels and a single storage battery (all of which you're reasonably likely to find on a single solar car) should be more than enough to power your total day-to-day needs for cooking, welding, and smithing, plus a little extra for dome/aisle lights some nights, at least in the stable build. Rig up half a dozen panels and you can probably afford to leave the lights on with a smallish structure 24/7. Mechanics is easy to build up if you can get over the initial hump to level 2 plus tools so you can take vehicles apart.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Leal posted:

Bigger engines are less efficient. No matter what kind of engine you use, even if there is no load (sitting still and no alternator) the engine has minimum 1% fuel consumption. So a tiny engine with both truck+car alternators is the most efficient way to go.

Gridlocked posted:

Can anyone recommend interesting settings for Worlds? Like if I wanna simulate Fallout is there a way to turn Zombies off? Or if I wanna do L4D is there a way to turn off everything bar zombies?

Cataclysm already includes a basic "no monsters" mod that removes all zombies and triffids and such.

As for the terrain, it would probably take quite a bit of modding but I'd actually like to see a Fallout hellscape with reduced amount/density of forests and the rest of the wilderness mostly bare wasteland with the occasional pile of rocks/rubble/debris/explosives. At least then it would be possible to drive offroad and not crash into shrubs constantly. Having the cities be mostly full of collapsed/ruined buildings would definitely create a weird atmosphere.

I find that the default 1.0x static spawn makes the game lean too hard toward camping/grinding which is kinda boring, and foraging underbrush makes survival too easy/boring... so I'm more on the L4D end of the spectrum. Been tinkering with settings to make it terrifying but survivable and here is the latest setup that worked fairly well.

Mapgen settings...
City size 15
5x monster spawn
0.25x item spawn
initial time 6am

dynamic zombie spawn
wandering zombie hordes
dynamic NPCs enabled

Mods... no rivtech and no religious texts (to reduce the amount of clutter and incompatible guns/ammo) and Prevent Zombie Revive (because it's just annoying)
debug options... no skill rust

House rule... no foraging bushes. don't touch military vehicles except to steal their guns/ammo/fuel. (edit: also if you spawn in the middle of a huge forest, debug-teleport to a city with a horde)

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 18, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
More partially damaged buildings would be pretty hot.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'd just like more really dangerous places to take demigod characters and possibly die to something other than "oops, underestimated an enemy with a gun."

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
There could use some midlevel danger zones with loot you need to tackle/craft the high level ones. Perhaps if they made firefighter gear not drop kevlar then it would force you to tackle police stations (with robots) or military bases in order to get the kevlar you need to craft your high-end Survivor armor. Stuff like that.

As it is, there's basically no danger for hours after the initial spike, as you gather loot from ordinary buildings, until you tech up enough to handle the big endgame content areas, and once you go to those, there's no real challenge you need your high-end bionics and alpha serum to prepare for.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I seem to remember some talk of a hypothesized "nether realm" endgame that involved passing through portals and fighting to survive in an incredibly hostile environment, and I am totally 100% in favour of that because a) post-apocalyptic zombie survivor: hell edition sounds awesome, and b) one could theoretically contrive to ferry vehicle parts through a portal and build an infernal chariot with which to ram demons and tear Hell up in style, which also sounds awesome.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Angry Diplomat posted:

I seem to remember some talk of a hypothesized "nether realm" endgame that involved passing through portals and fighting to survive in an incredibly hostile environment, and I am totally 100% in favour of that because a) post-apocalyptic zombie survivor: hell edition sounds awesome, and b) one could theoretically contrive to ferry vehicle parts through a portal and build an infernal chariot with which to ram demons and tear Hell up in style, which also sounds awesome.

Then you ram your rad death machine through the nether, flip the gatekeeper the bird, but then start having to swerve past wrecks. Wrecks of other, increasingly intricate and powerful rad death machines!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Angry Diplomat posted:

post-apocalyptic zombie survivor: hell edition

DOOM

All we need now is a Martian tile set.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

Then you ram your rad death machine through the nether, flip the gatekeeper the bird, but then start having to swerve past wrecks. Wrecks of other, increasingly intricate and powerful rad death machines!

...and then you rip parts off of them and weld duct tape them to your death machine, creating the ultimate murdermobile.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Did someone make a mod that turns off all the dumb katanas/fedoras/wolf suits? I'd love to not have to experience any of that. Other than that, the game is awesome.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
All these people talking of Death Machines and I have barely figured out how to Drive without crashing and burning.

Or even make it a season without doing something stupid and getting myself killed and/or crippled beyond hope.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you include katanas in your list of dumb poo poo I'm not sure there is any mod on the planet that could hope to match your tastes.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

dylguy90 posted:

Did someone make a mod that turns off all the dumb katanas/fedoras/wolf suits? I'd love to not have to experience any of that. Other than that, the game is awesome.

Get a lighter/flamethrower and burn every single thing that disgusts you. Re-enact Fahrenheit 451.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

dylguy90 posted:

It is incredibly trivial to just go in and remove the items you don't want. It's all flat text files!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, there is an unreasonable amount of dumb poo poo in the game, but it's not overwhelming; usually it's just goofy and entertaining (okay, so, this bedroom has a fedora, a trenchcoat, and a katana, and that last one had a wolf-suit, sixteen pairs of women's underwear, and a pair of cat ears...right), but I wouldn't mind some mods to increase the diversity of endgame melee gear. Let me make a Diamond Macuahuitl with an integrated flamethrower! Or hell, have melee mods a la Gearhead so we can trick out our sweet zombie-bashing gear like we can our zombie-shooting gear. Gyroscopes and hiltspikes for everyone. Maybe if I ever get some free time away from work I'll look into what it takes to mod this game.

In the meantime, yeah, fire is pretty much the catch-all generic answer to problems you don't know the specific solution to in Cataclysm.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Sage Grimm posted:

Get a lighter/flamethrower and burn every single thing that disgusts you. Re-enact Fahrenheit 451.

While I appreciate everyone's advice this is clearly the correct response.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

dylguy90 posted:

Just for you, I've made a pair of mods that remove all the Weaboo and Furry crap. Just create a folder for each in your Cataclysm mods folder, named whatever you like, and save the text file as "modinfo.json". Just be aware that you can still start with Ninjitsu and other weaboo martial arts and get trained by NPCs in martial arts, as I'm still working out how to blacklist mutations.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

You are actually the best. Gonna try this out tonight and report back ❤️

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Ok, someone spoiler me where i need to take Military Black Boxes? I tried labs and military outposts/bunkers but didn't find anything relevant.

This character is already pretty much immortal and i wanna check that out before mutating myself beyond recognition.

edit:

Wales Grey posted:

Just for you, I've made a pair of mods that remove all the Weaboo and Furry crap. Just create a folder for each in your Cataclysm mods folder, named whatever you like, and save the text file as "modinfo.json". Just be aware that you can still start with Ninjitsu and other weaboo martial arts and get trained by NPCs in martial arts, as I'm still working out how to blacklist mutations.
Muay Thai is not weeaboo poo poo. It is the proper way to knee motherfuckers in the face :argh:

George Rouncewell fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Judo isn't weeaboo either, it's a civilised sport for civilised men!