Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

pram posted:

nix sounds cool in theory but that is seriously unmitigated trash

completely agree lol, here's my favorite part of my config:

code:
  nixpkgs.config = {
    packageOverrides = pkgs: {
      pidgin-with-plugins = pkgs.pidgin-with-plugins.override {
        plugins = [ pkgs.pidginotr ];
      };
    };
  };

environment.systemPackages = with pkgs; [
    pidgin-with-plugins
  ];
like you guys seriously couldnt think of a better way to do that??? rofl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

it was a lot easier to install CentOS than XP on my lovely old netbook. I destroyed the MBR by trying to install double boot thing and tried installing both XP and Linux, but not a the same time :downs:

CentOS worked about as well as Linux on the desktop works. it found wifi, graphics drivers and even sound and webcam right at install.

XP didn't even try to use generic drivers for anything really. 640x480 and no network. if you don't have drivers for the Ethernet jack or wifi on a thumbdrive you are screwed.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

axolotl farmer posted:

it was a lot easier to install CentOS than XP on my lovely old netbook. I destroyed the MBR by trying to install double boot thing and tried installing both XP and Linux, but not a the same time :downs:

CentOS worked about as well as Linux on the desktop works. it found wifi, graphics drivers and even sound and webcam right at install.

XP didn't even try to use generic drivers for anything really. 640x480 and no network. if you don't have drivers for the Ethernet jack or wifi on a thumbdrive you are screwed.

centos is for servering not for desktopping

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yeah what idiots would do something like that...
code:

typedef void *PVOID;
typedef PVOID HANDLE;
typedef HANDLE HWND;

oh right gently caress everything

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

moonshine is...... posted:

Here's my linux trip report, I installed Debian. The wifi card was a problem and dropped connection at random intervals and required a full ifconfig cycling to get it working again. I searched all over and entered lsusb results and all that crap, and finally found some github somewhere with rtl new, so i installed git and then did all the poo poo I had to do to get that stuff compiled and working.

Oh and my built in 4g hotspot didn't work either. There's one reference to it on google by some german guy who says it should work, but it looked like i was going to spend all night echoing poo poo into my /sys/bus/whatever to manually bind a driver to it. So I stopped that right there.

Then I didn't really use it because I was tired of fiddling with it, and since it's linux I expected to discover something else broken. So put windows 8 back on.

hth

lol you installed a china trash driver for $9 usb wifi

congratulations on your sweet new backdoors

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

centos is for servering not for desktopping

centos is for real work, wherever that work needs to be done

lenovo even has a support matrix for it

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

so loving future posted:

it's sort of neat to not have your entire system just a stateful pile of poo poo that has slowly evolved, but instead have it all written down -- without the overhead of using salt or puppet or chef

i do think this is an interesting thing and will be watching to see how it develops. when i'm bored i'll have a bash at it in a vm.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

declarative is great, it's just too bad that their form of declaration is equivalent to drawing cave paintings with your own poo poo

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
i haven't seen anything both declarative and flexible that isn't basically that

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

is there an example of a good declarative language?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Subjunctive posted:

declarative is great, it's just too bad that their form of declaration is equivalent to drawing cave paintings with your own poo poo

coincidentally that's my hobby irl

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Snapchat A Titty posted:

is there an example of a good declarative language?

Prolog, although I haven't touched it since college.

Seems cool to me.

I did some research on it lately and apparently it's useful as a tool for performing database queries.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

yeah what idiots would do something like that...
code:

typedef void *PVOID;
typedef PVOID HANDLE;
typedef HANDLE HWND;

win32 api is terrible therefore it's ok to make terrible apis

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

celeron 300a posted:

Prolog, although I haven't touched it since college.

Seems cool to me.

I did some research on it lately and apparently it's useful as a tool for performing database queries.

erlang as well (which is basically prolog). everybody hates erlang, but literally just because it's different and weird. it's enjoyable if you use it for more than 5 minutes.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

so loving future posted:

erlang as well (which is basically prolog). everybody hates erlang, but literally just because it's different and weird. it's enjoyable if you use it for more than 5 minutes.

it's good for building high reliability systems as well

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zlodo posted:

hobbesmaster posted:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Zlodo posted:

it's extra terrible because this kind of garbage is why they fragmented things with their LLP64 poo poo.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
i use centos 7 on my server, systemd isnt bad at all

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no one said it was bad other than a bunch of moronic spergs

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pram posted:

dont let your headmates sign your post

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i don't particularly care if my linux uses systemd or initd

just like pick one or something, idc

knock yourself out

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
if i have a choice i will take launchd because apparently that is what came on my computer. seems to work OK

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
i was creating a service aND IT was very easy! i dont think initd would have been as easy.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Sniep posted:

i don't particularly care if my linux uses systemd or initd

just like pick one or something, idc

knock yourself out

i care. making services with systemd is easy and good, for docker and such. i still have to use supervisord on ubuntu

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
just use start-stop-daemon :smugmrgw:

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

more like initdicks

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Awia posted:

more like initdicks

text me

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

pram posted:

It used to be really bad about 2-3 years ago. It's gotten a lot better, but I don't like how it's starting to have its own 'sudo,' for lack of a better term, and I don't like how it's taking over every part of every distro, but eh, whatever, I'm typing this from an Arch install so I'm a hypocrite at the moment for saying anything bad becuase it boots faster than my OpenRC Gentoo machine, starting and stopping services actually works now, and systemd has come a long way.

I just don't want Linux turning into GNU/systemd/linux. That would be terrible. But I've gone from hating systemd to thinking it's quite alright, but I like Linux for options. I like that if systemd starts sucking, I can install OpenRC (my favorite init, flame away, I know it's poo poo) and enjoy my slowass boot times and my preferred syntax.

But to get back to the original topic, systemd did used to suck a bag of dicks. It wouldn't enable/disable, stop/start processes on a server I was using (debian), and anytime I tried to send a sigterm to the PID of the daemon running, systemd overwrote it (even with sudo on the sigterm), manually or with htop. It basically hijacks permissions and doesn't let you stop/start poo poo without using systemd, which is actually great to stop newbs from messing poo poo up, but awful when it stops responding. Thankfully, that issue has been (at least mainly?) addressed.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

nosl posted:

I just don't want Linux turning into GNU/systemd/linux. That would be terrible. But I've gone from hating systemd to thinking it's quite alright, but I like Linux for options. I like that if systemd starts sucking, I can install OpenRC (my favorite init, flame away, I know it's poo poo) and enjoy my slowass boot times and my preferred syntax.

lol u use openrc on gentoo

eselect profile set 12 and get on with systemd

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Tankakern posted:

lol u use gentoo

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

The machine is currently not in use as I am not in the physical location, and when I return I don't know what I'll install. I don't care for Ubuntu, I don't care for RHEL spinoffs, I don't care for Debian (but prefer it the most of the previously mentioned), and I just love the customization that comes with the rolling distros, but they're impractical. Now that I actually do real work, Arch hardly cuts it for when I'm on vacation on my laptop (right now).

Tankakern posted:

lol u use openrc on gentoo

eselect profile set 12 and get on with systemd

Even when I toss Gentoo, I'm still probably going to install OpenRC on that machine. I like it. It's just personal preference. That's what Linux is about, choice. You can use KDE, or you can use a tty and tmux. You can use openbox or you can use gnome. You can ssh into your computer and use ttys with tmux and never physically access it. It's your choice. Just like it's your choice to use whatever init you drat well please.

Don't take this as me dissing systemd though. Like I said it's come a long way, it's objectively faster by a long shot, and I'm starting to like it.

nosl fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 18, 2015

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

nosl posted:

I don't care for Ubuntu, I don't care for RHEL spinoffs, I don't care for Debian (but prefer it the most of the previously mentioned)

this is healthy, you shouldnt need to care about a linux if its working correctly

if you need to care then something is broken (its u)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

nosl posted:

I just don't want Linux turning into GNU/systemd/linux.

my computer runs the emacs operating system using the systemd kernel

pram
Jun 10, 2001

nosl posted:

It used to be really bad about 2-3 years ago. It's gotten a lot better, but I don't like how it's starting to have its own 'sudo,' for lack of a better term, and I don't like how it's taking over every part of every distro, but eh, whatever, I'm typing this from an Arch install so I'm a hypocrite at the moment for saying anything bad becuase it boots faster than my OpenRC Gentoo machine, starting and stopping services actually works now, and systemd has come a long way.

But to get back to the original topic, systemd did used to suck a bag of dicks. It wouldn't enable/disable, stop/start processes on a server I was using (debian), and anytime I tried to send a sigterm to the PID of the daemon running, systemd overwrote it (even with sudo on the sigterm), manually or with htop. It basically hijacks permissions and doesn't let you stop/start poo poo without using systemd, which is actually great to stop newbs from messing poo poo up, but awful when it stops responding. Thankfully, that issue has been (at least mainly?) addressed.

dont use beta software

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

nosl posted:

It used to be really bad about 2-3 years ago. It's gotten a lot better, but I don't like how it's starting to have its own 'sudo,' for lack of a better term

I have no idea what this means.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

:nsa:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
i see no reason not to run prismd on my desktop

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

"i'm a broke brain dipshit"

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

caring about your init system as a desktop user is like sperging out about what make of flywheel your car has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
like wtf openrc? do you actually install some unorthodox init system on whatever poo poo distro you're using.. wtf is wrong with you