Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

OhDearGodNo posted:

There's no way to answer this. For all I know you're a complete idiot and as such I'd say it'll be insanely difficult.

I probably am if only because I can't get up the courage to take it.

Just looking for personal anecdotes on whether people feel they over or under prepared after taking the test. I've put a lot of studying and practice in but if the consensus is that the test is still really hard I'll hit the books again. If not, I'll take it Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ccna holders: how hard is the test itself, really, on a scale of 1 to 10

I passed after about two months of heavy study and thought it was very hard.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Just looking for personal anecdotes on whether people feel they over or under prepared after taking the test. I've put a lot of studying and practice in but if the consensus is that the test is still really hard I'll hit the books again. If not, I'll take it Monday.

I passed after about ~2 weeks per test studying about 30-35 hours per week. I had no professional experience whatsoever with the subject (I was a cook), and I thought I vastly over-prepped for it. ICND1 is, as has been said before, incredibly surprisingly easy so there's really no excuse for not having at least the CCENT. If you're at all good at multiple choice tests (IE: picking out the two obviously wrong, and 1 subtly wrong answer with a basic understanding of the subject material and the context of the test) you can pass the CCENT with like 1 week of casual study. You might not get a great score, but nobody is going to ask you what your score was.

You actually have to know something to pass the ICND2, there will be enough questions on it with answers that require you to fully understand the subject material to make you fail the test if you don't. That being said, the subjects aren't that deep or complex and they are mostly asking you to memorize some basic rules and do some simple calculations. You'll have to be able to describe OSPF and EIGRP, note some differences between the two, and maybe fix a sim problem which probably has a 1-line answer on one of the devices.

I thought my 2 weeks / ~65 hours of study was sufficient for the ICND2, I probably could have got by with much less (I got a 994), but you really should know these kinds of things if you're going for a networking job in the first place. You're going to turn some heads if your future employer decides to hire "the guy with the CCNA" and then you stumble on basic networking concepts.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 13, 2015

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KillHour posted:

Why the gently caress does vmware require the class, then? It just feels like a giant waste of time. :psyduck:

It's a way to stop people from just brain dumping the cert. It's still a valuable cert right now because of the classroom requirement. You know anyone who has a VCP-DCV has at least sat through a 40 hour training course and probably has some actual knowledge.

If they didn't have the classroom requirement there would be 10 times as many VCP-DCV's out there right now and the cert would have almost no value.

I still need to take it while they're letting us. I took the course last year at a community college for 200 bucks through their continuing education department.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Man you must be Einstein because there is a shitload of very specific information on the CCNA that you have to know to have any hope of passing. IF you can pass it casually studying in a week please take your CCIE right now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Memorize the port chart and find a list of all the dumb variations on Phishing. For some reason it's important that you distinguish between Phishing, Vishing and Smishing.

I spent the first 2 years of my career doing nothing but network security and I went to school for it, and I still have no idea what Vishing and Smishing are.

I'm also not going to look them up because they sound stupid. :colbert:

Edit: I lied. They're even stupider than they sound.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

quote:

CompTIA is looking for qualified IT professionals to participate in developing and reviewing item content for the CompTIA Cloud+ certification exam. Apply now if you have a minimum of 5 years of IT experience and at least 2 years of technical, hands-on experience with cloud services integration and virtualization technologies.

SMEs will receive a $300 a day stipend for the 5-day workshop, as well as meals provided during the 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. working days. Recognition for SMEs includes listing on the CompTIA website pending full participation in the program.

Apparently IT professionals within driving distance of Illinois are the source of terrible exam questions.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Man you must be Einstein because there is a shitload of very specific information on the CCNA that you have to know to have any hope of passing. IF you can pass it casually studying in a week please take your CCIE right now.

Sorry - poor phrasing on my part. The CCNA requires you to know a lot of stuff, yeah, and I thought my 65 hours of study was about average. I was also jobless at the time, however, so I had plenty of free time and motivation. If you're already comfortable in life it might be a little more difficult, but when your continued not-homelessness depends on getting some certs and a job it's really easy to concentrate.

The CCENT, which you get by passing ICND1, is not nearly as difficult. You can probably pass it with 1 week of casual study assuming you are already working in IT, especially if you interact with networks at all. All you really need to learn is the binary math behind ip addresses, what a subnet is, what a vlan is, and you need to know ~10(?) really basic cisco IOS commands. If you have even a tenuous grasp on those concepts you can probably pass with a low 800 or so.

The CCNA (ICND2 or the combo test), yeah you're going to want to spent some time studying a lot of different, complex topics and making sure you know them enough to drop some $$$ on a test. It's nothing to sneeze at.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 13, 2015

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Not to mention they toughened it up some a year and a half ago or whatever. From what I understand, they moved some stuff off of the CCNP and on to the CCNA.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Those are the exams we're discussing now, the "tougher" ones. It's my mistake, actually, I wasn't aware that the previous 640-x exams also had the title "ICND-X".

It used to be (I believe, I never took these):

640-822 ICND1 gets you the CCENT
640-815 ICND2 gets you the CCNA
640-802 CCNA gets you the CCNA (it's a composite of the previous 2)

They changed it to:

100-101 ICND1 gets you the CCENT
200-101 ICND2 gets you the CCNA
200-120 CCNA gets you the CCNA (it's the new composite)

I don't believe they moved anything from the CCNP onto the ICND1/CCENT exam, but yeah I am told they moved a bunch of CCNP stuff into the CCNA. I hadn't taken any cisco exams prior to this happening so I couldn't give you an opinion or anything, I thought the test was fair and accurately measured what an employer expects you to be able to do in a junior networking position.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
anyone here ever took the CCNA/P Voice? Is it worth dishing the money out of?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Race Realists posted:

anyone here ever took the CCNA/P Voice? Is it worth dishing the money out of?

I've haven't worked with any VoIP Guys in years but last I heard you will drown in money if you get the voice creds.

On the other hand I find VoIP incredibly boring, dry and you've never seen the wrath of users when their phones stop working.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
http://birch.iapplicants.com/ViewJob-625817.html?jb=3

quote:

Search Jobs | About Us | Home
Sr. Voice Engineer
Employment Type: Full Time
Department: Other
Description: Sr. Voice Engineer

Summary:
This position is responsible for the strategic architectural analysis, design and top level support of all telephony
switching and voicemail platforms supporting telephony services. Works closely with the planning and engineering
teams as well as equipment vendors. Responsible for the design, implementation, and related support of the end to end
telephony process.

Education and/or Experience Requirements:
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience working with Switch Translations, Session Management, Session Border
Controllers, SIP Lines/Trunks, Media Gateways, Class 4/5 Switches, Softswitch and Voicemail/Unified/Integrated
Messaging Systems (IMS).
• Minimum 10 years PSTN experience
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following: (Other duties may be assigned.)
• Establish systematic process(s) for managing all LD aspects such as cost, vendor, and capacity management in
order to minimize LD costs without scarifying the quality of services provided.
• Builds complex network cost models to demonstrate project ROIs. Structures the analysis results in a
comprehensive and easy‐to‐understand manner.
• Properly prioritizes optimization projects taking into account financial impact and other relevant factors (e.g.
complexity, network reliability)
• Designs, develops, configures and sustains engineering support of VoIP network interfaces to the PSTN
including; Softswitch, Application Server, Media Gateway, Session Border Controllers, etc.
• Work closely with business partners, network planning/engineering, and VoIP vendors to design future
traditional/VoIP services and provide strategic and architectural issue resolution within the network.
• Develops standard configurations, procedures and guidelines for selecting, installing and deploying integrated
solutions and platforms within the VoIP environment
• Develops detailed testing documentation and thoroughly tests proposed solutions in a lab environment
• Generates and execute test plans to ensure the correct implementation of VoIP/PSTN signaling and routing
• Follows through issues with vendors for a timely resolution; verifies fixes delivered by vendors.
• Where necessary, plan for management or phasing out of legacy telephony systems and other switch‐based
technologies
• Provide Tier 4 support as needed toward the analysis and resolution of escalating troubles/issues from NOC
support personnel.
• Coach and provide guidance to network telephony technical and support staff as needed.
• Identify, deploy, and utilize appropriate tools for reporting of telephony traffic on the network.
• Plan, document, test, and implement disaster recovery models at all levels of end to end telephony network.
• Provide off hours on‐call problem, build‐out and/or upgrade support.
• Keep abreast of industry and technology trends, available products and services in support of IP Telephony
Performs a variety of tasks.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
• Expertise with IP, Internet routing protocols, TDM, SONET, and voice technologies (SS7/C7, SIP, ISDN, MGCP)
• Knowledge and experience troubleshooting translation resolution issues in large, carrier grade, multisite
network deployments.
• Working knowledge IVR (Integrated Voice Response) and Voice Mail
• Proven technical and analytical skills using Microsoft Excel and SQL
• Familiar with relational database concepts and client‐server concepts
• Excellent customer service skills
Duties: The above declarations are not intended to be an “all-inclusive” list of duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job and be a reasonable representation of its activities.

Birch is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, or any other protected class in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.

Birch is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity without being specifically engaged for the role through our Vendor Management System. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Birch via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Birch HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Birch. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Birch as a result of the referral or through other means.

you know, it drives me loving NUTS when i see poo poo like that:bang:

like, what world do these people live in?

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 15, 2015

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

They really want to hire an H1B so they throw out a job description with unrealistic requirements which allows them to then say that they've exhausted all local efforts to find someone with the skillset they desire. They'll also pay 60% of market value.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Ozu posted:

They really want to hire an H1B so they throw out a job description with unrealistic requirements which allows them to then say that they've exhausted all local efforts to find someone with the skillset they desire. They'll also pay 60% of market value.

I thought you couldn't underpay H1Bs?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Ozu posted:

this is the second time i've heard of this

gently caress georgia

seriously

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Judge Schnoopy posted:

God, this is the exact same boat I'm in.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

This is true. Law says they have to be within 5% of the local market for a position. Of course IT positions and titles are sort of nebulous anyways so there's not much to stop them from renaming the job "Network Admin, Voice" and paying a lower rate.

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

Tab8715 posted:

You can't. The Department of Labor is very strict about it and makes publicly available all H1B applications that a company has applied for with salary ranges and whether or not the case was approved or denied. There are several sites that make the information available, like this one for example: http://h1bdata.info/index.php?em=BIRCH+COMMUNICATIONS+INC&job=&city=&year=All

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Inspector_666 posted:

God, this is the exact same boat I'm in.

Well if it makes you feel better I scheduled my test for tomorrow. I looked over my notes and over my practice tests and realized there's nothing left for me to learn. I'll either pass the test, or something about the exam will catch me off-guard and I'll fail miserably, then wait it out and pass on the retake.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Well if it makes you feel better I scheduled my test for tomorrow. I looked over my notes and over my practice tests and realized there's nothing left for me to learn. I'll either pass the test, or something about the exam will catch me off-guard and I'll fail miserably, then wait it out and pass on the retake.

Just remember to take your time during the test. You can't go back to older questions once you've clicked next during the exam. So take your time, pay attention to IPs, subnet masks, etc and you'll do fine.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just remember to take your time during the test. You can't go back to older questions once you've clicked next during the exam. So take your time, pay attention to IPs, subnet masks, etc and you'll do fine.

Also cram as much as you can into your short term memory immediately before you test and use most of the 15 min tutorial they give you to regurgitate whatever onto the lil dry erase sheet they give you

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Can anyone recommend training for ccna video?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've used both CBTNuggets and Chris Bryant. I prefer the super hyper CBTNuggets host that gets loving PUMPED by Wireshark to Chris Bryant. Either one is fine and will cover the necessary material. Chris takes the approach of much smaller videos of 10-15 minutes while the CBT videos are usually 45-60 minutes.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

crunk dork posted:

Also cram as much as you can into your short term memory immediately before you test and use most of the 15 min tutorial they give you to regurgitate whatever onto the lil dry erase sheet they give you

While the information I wrote down didn't help (factors of 16 for easy network address identification and powers of 2 with accompanying cidrs, layers of osi), the stuff I crammed regarding terms and details of each service definitely helped a ton.

Passed the CCNA! Only had 2 sims which I thought was weird, I heard there would be 3 and budgeted my time accordingly.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've used both CBTNuggets and Chris Bryant. I prefer the super hyper CBTNuggets host that gets loving PUMPED by Wireshark to Chris Bryant. Either one is fine and will cover the necessary material. Chris takes the approach of much smaller videos of 10-15 minutes while the CBT videos are usually 45-60 minutes.

To be clear I am asking about the video track, not videos for the ccna. This is for video which is being retired and rolled into collab.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

While the information I wrote down didn't help (factors of 16 for easy network address identification and powers of 2 with accompanying cidrs, layers of osi), the stuff I crammed regarding terms and details of each service definitely helped a ton.

Passed the CCNA! Only had 2 sims which I thought was weird, I heard there would be 3 and budgeted my time accordingly.

Good for you man! Congratulations

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Are there any certs besides A+ that would help make someone a "lock" for an interview for a desktop support type of job? I have experience but feel like since I haven't taken the tests that some HR person is just brushing my resume into the trashcan.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Budget Dracula posted:

Are there any certs besides A+ that would help make someone a "lock" for an interview for a desktop support type of job? I have experience but feel like since I haven't taken the tests that some HR person is just brushing my resume into the trashcan.

I wouldn't say that A+ is by any means a lock for a desktop support interview. Maybe a help desk role? To be clear, I'm defining help desk as answer phones, & resolving simple problems remotely, while desktop support would be more actually going to people to troubleshoot things, preparing new equipment, etc.

If such a cert exists, I'd say (in order of likelihood) CCNA, Security+, and maybe 70-680, depending on if they're primarily Windows 7-based, would be closer to that.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The CompTia A+ cert consists of 2x exams does that mean I need to take them close together? I've bought a textbook and voucher for 1x exam but waiting to schedule jic something comes up.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

Alder posted:

The CompTia A+ cert consists of 2x exams does that mean I need to take them close together? I've bought a textbook and voucher for 1x exam but waiting to schedule jic something comes up.

You don't have to take them close. I had two months in between my exams (I was paranoid and focused on one at a time). They just have to match each other ie. 801 and 802. You can't use something like 701 and 802. Hell, depending on your approach and prior knowledge, you can take 802 before 801 if you want.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Singh Long posted:

You don't have to take them close. I had two months in between my exams (I was paranoid and focused on one at a time). They just have to match each other ie. 801 and 802. You can't use something like 701 and 802. Hell, depending on your approach and prior knowledge, you can take 802 before 801 if you want.

Sounds good, I wanted to take 1 exam a month but not completely certain if it'd be allowed. Thanks.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Singh Long posted:

I'm not sure why they have two exams, except that it's part of a money-grab, plain and simple. I actually took both of them on the same day, back-to-back, and didn't do any more specific studying for the second exam than the first. Granted, I had like 15 years as a computer hobbyist and 3 years as a helpdesk and desktop support person, but it didn't seem like anything special.

wca
Mar 2, 2004

I'm a world-class assassin, fuckhead. How do you think I found out?

Reiz posted:

Those are the exams we're discussing now, the "tougher" ones. It's my mistake, actually, I wasn't aware that the previous 640-x exams also had the title "ICND-X".

It used to be (I believe, I never took these):

640-822 ICND1 gets you the CCENT
640-815 ICND2 gets you the CCNA
640-802 CCNA gets you the CCNA (it's a composite of the previous 2)

They changed it to:

100-101 ICND1 gets you the CCENT
200-101 ICND2 gets you the CCNA
200-120 CCNA gets you the CCNA (it's the new composite)

I don't believe they moved anything from the CCNP onto the ICND1/CCENT exam, but yeah I am told they moved a bunch of CCNP stuff into the CCNA. I hadn't taken any cisco exams prior to this happening so I couldn't give you an opinion or anything, I thought the test was fair and accurately measured what an employer expects you to be able to do in a junior networking position.

Newbie here with a couple of questions.

Do you get a certify passing the 100-101 ICND1 CCENT exam? Do they send you a psychical certification paper after the passing the exam? Or do you have to pass 200-101 ICND2 in order to be fully certified? I will be taking the Net+ exam next month and I want to start preparing for CCNA certs but not sure where to start.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Passing 100-101 gets you a CCENT certification and a physical CCENT certificate, for all the good that will do. From what I've seen in the last year, the de-facto entry-level networking cert (for a networking-specific position) is still the CCNA.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

wca posted:

Newbie here with a couple of questions.

Do you get a certify passing the 100-101 ICND1 CCENT exam? Do they send you a psychical certification paper after the passing the exam? Or do you have to pass 200-101 ICND2 in order to be fully certified? I will be taking the Net+ exam next month and I want to start preparing for CCNA certs but not sure where to start.

I took the same route of n+ and prep for the ccent. If you pass the n+ with a good score and you have the time (already have a job) I recommend skipping the ccent and going straight for CCNA. There's a lot of overlap between the n+ and ccent, plus some command specific stuff, and once you're learning Cisco ios it's not much extra effort to get to CCNA level.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I'm not sure why they have two exams, except that it's part of a money-grab, plain and simple. I actually took both of them on the same day, back-to-back, and didn't do any more specific studying for the second exam than the first. Granted, I had like 15 years as a computer hobbyist and 3 years as a helpdesk and desktop support person, but it didn't seem like anything special.

I did wonder too, but oh well. I checked out the practice questions and they seem OK but under considerable irl stress right now. As for self-taught knowledge I picked out PC parts a few years ago and familiar with Win 7 if that counts.

How bad is the PBQ? I thought the sample demo was easy but then again it was free...

Alder fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 18, 2015

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

Alder posted:

I did wonder too, but oh well. I checked out the practice questions and they seem OK but under considerable irl stress right now. As for self-taught knowledge I picked out PC parts a few years ago and familiar with Win 7 if that counts.

How bad is the PBQ? I thought the sample demo was easy but then again it was free...

In my case, the only PBQs that initially caught me off guard during my 802 were using command lines to fix a connectivity issue between two computers (Though I realized the answer was something I've done often) and setting up an alternate wired IP config.

Just stick with your textbook (I went with Sybex btw) and Professor Messer's vids and you should be OK.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Alder posted:

Sounds good, I wanted to take 1 exam a month but not completely certain if it'd be allowed. Thanks.

I would honestly take them both at the same time. As I recall one test is more hardware focused and the other is software/soft skills. Just take them back to back and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wca
Mar 2, 2004

I'm a world-class assassin, fuckhead. How do you think I found out?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I took the same route of n+ and prep for the ccent. If you pass the n+ with a good score and you have the time (already have a job) I recommend skipping the ccent and going straight for CCNA. There's a lot of overlap between the n+ and ccent, plus some command specific stuff, and once you're learning Cisco ios it's not much extra effort to get to CCNA level.

So go straight to this 200-101 ICND2 CCNA or 200-120 CCNA?