Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139048

600W Corsair Modular PSU for $45. Granted, $20 is in a prepaid card, but still.

That is a bad PSU. You can get a Bronze EVGA PSU for that amount of money that is substantially better, or you can spend $60 on a good gold SuperFlower rebrand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

BurritoJustice posted:

That is a bad PSU. You can get a Bronze EVGA PSU for that amount of money that is substantially better, or you can spend $60 on a good gold SuperFlower rebrand.

Corsair does make some very good PSUs, but that is not one. This is good advice, the EVGA stuff is good and the SuperFlower stuff is great. A budget of $40-$60 can fit a rock solid psu these days.

Also is it just me or did that 750W have about 500W available off the two 12V rails?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AMD published their own set of Fury X vs 980ti 4K benchmarks:

Grain of salt, etc, obvious conflict of interest here.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

repiv posted:

Thanks AMD, I guess, for a whole bunch of sub-60 FPS @ 4K benches. Good to know both cards can manage an unplayable ~35FPS in Witcher 3 at a resolution nobody's using for gaming.

I'll be interested to see how they compare at 2560x1440 / 3440x1440.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

repiv posted:

Looks pretty good if it pans out, and I think AMD would be shooting themselves in the foot if they published info significantly different from what reviewers end up seeing so I'll trust them for now. I would assume that these benches are based on the basic clocks for both cards and we know that the 980 Ti OCs really well so in the end it will depend on how well the Fury X OCs. Hopefully it OCs really well with it's CLC but I wonder if the CLC is on there in the first place because the chip is being pushed really hard. Hopefully they will start sending cards out to reviewers soon so we can find out.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

repiv posted:

They look mostly right between games to me, hitman seems possibly a bit low and Batman a bit high. That's about where Fury would want to be to match OC vs OC against the best overclocking architecture since Sandy Bridge.

If it does do that well stock vs stock or if it scales better with clocks because it's got more memory room, I think it could go toe to toe OC'ed. I think it'd take both to outright win.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 18, 2015

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

e: misread

repiv fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jun 18, 2015

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I wonder if the CLC is on there in the first place because the chip is being pushed really hard
They probably did a CLC on it for PR value after so many complained about the reference HSF on the 290X. I'd be surprised if it helped much to improve OC'ing vs a good air cooled heat pipe HSF which already get close to liquid cooling performance anyways. Maaaaybe another 100Mhz or so? That sort of difference is only noticeable in benchmarks and not games. The main benefits vs a good heat pipe air cooled HSF at the same clocks/volts are going to be size and lower temps/noise. Which isn't a bad thing at all...just don't go expecting miracles or you'll probably end up disappointed.

Your best bet to improve OC'ing significantly is with extreme cooling like phase change but all these modern high end GPU's, even the 'power efficient Maxwell's, are furnaces that can easily put out 300W+ worth of heat when OC'd heavily. Its difficult and expensive to build a phase change unit good enough to cool something like that to the sub zero temps you'd need. I think there are only a handful of people who even try anymore and most seem to have some sort of HVAC experience or do it as a job IRL already so they have the relevant tools and knowledge already.

edit: \/\/\/\/\/\/I'd expect it more to improve the reliability of the cards when over volted. On the 290/X the VRM would easily soar past 100C if you over volted it slightly when gaming even with good after market air cooled HSF's.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 18, 2015

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

just don't go expecting miracles or you'll probably end up disappointed.

I will say, though, direct cooling of the VRMs in the loop with copper pipe is a pretty loving awesome detail, so that may help somewhat with overclocking.

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

xthetenth posted:

They look mostly right between games to me, hitman seems possibly a bit low and Batman a bit high.

TPU got 100 FPS from Batman at 4K on a 980Ti, I dunno if that benchmark includes AA or what to make it over half as slow.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Miley Virus posted:

TPU got 100 FPS from Batman at 4K on a 980Ti, I dunno if that benchmark includes AA or what to make it over half as slow.

That too, I was doing a quick sanity check for margin of win and that stood out with Fury that far ahead in what's traditionally a strong NV series.

It looks like they cranked the settings overall, FC4 is down to 45 FPS.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Miley Virus posted:

MSAA eats up huge amounts of memory bandwidth, you can bet they maxed that out to make HBM shine.

Given the disproportionately large lead in Batman I wouldn't be surprised if they enabled the nVidia exclusive effects either :v:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

With the performance on Skylake I'd say this will happen far, far sooner. OEMs are probably salivating at the thought of putting out more super-small pre-builts that don't suffer from anemic IGPs.
An HBM-equipped AM4 APU based on a low-power Fury/Arctic Islands GPU would be real interesting to see, though we probably won't see that until at least halfway into next year so cheaper Iris-level graphics on Skylake that have an actual chance of outdoing GTX 750s will have to tide them over.

If there's a larger amount of HBM on the APU, we could see some pretty interesting SOC setups (4-8gb Liva-sized Steam boxes, anyone?)

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 18, 2015

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Your best bet to improve OC'ing significantly is with extreme cooling like phase change but all these modern high end GPU's, even the 'power efficient Maxwell's, are furnaces that can easily put out 300W+ worth of heat when OC'd heavily. Its difficult and expensive to build a phase change unit good enough to cool something like that to the sub zero temps you'd need. I think there are only a handful of people who even try anymore and most seem to have some sort of HVAC experience or do it as a job IRL already so they have the relevant tools and knowledge already.

edit: \/\/\/\/\/\/I'd expect it more to improve the reliability of the cards when over volted. On the 290/X the VRM would easily soar past 100C if you over volted it slightly when gaming even with good after market air cooled HSF's.

Your best bet would be a big boy HVAC unit pulled from a commercial freezer, or a regular central air system. A 24k BTU cooling system would be able to keep the machine at a toasty -10F by simply blowing a ton of cold-rear end air through the plenum you housed the computer in. It would be an amazingly extravagant waste, but you could get a stupid as gently caress OC while still using air as the cooling medium.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

An HBM-equipped AM4 APU based on a low-power Fury/Arctic Islands GPU would be real interesting to see, though we probably won't see that until at least halfway into next year so cheaper Iris-level graphics on Skylake that have an actual chance of outdoing GTX 750s will have to tide them over.

If there's a larger amount of HBM on the APU, we could see some pretty interesting SOC setups (4-8gb Liva-sized Steam boxes, anyone?)

HBM on any of the BGA processors would be all kinds of awesome. You could get an entire machine put together that uses maybe 6-12 square inches of total system board. A system with both the CPU and GPU tied into a shared 8GB of HBM would be disgusting as hell. At long last a processor from AMD that beats Intel at something, anything at all.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 18, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Zen supposedly isn't going to have an iGPU its first generation, but what if it ends up on an interposer with HBM? Put that under water and you've got the cleanest build ever, and I really want to see what something like that can do considering what unified fast memory lets cat cores and a mid range GPU do.

Honestly I think the APU may actually become the hope AMD thought it could be a long while back if they give HBM parts enough premium cachet.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Addendum to the above benchmarks, AMD-provided Firestrike 4K scores and the settings they used:

8x MSAA at 4K :eyepop:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
?? Mantle OFF in BF4???

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Cool, its competitive. Finally can buy a 980ti with peace of mind, dumpster priced 980 coming up on SA mart soon :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure mantle is an additional 10% boost or somesuch?

Would be a bit unfair to use a "Better" framework.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Truga posted:

I'm pretty sure mantle is an additional 10% boost or somesuch?

Would be a bit unfair to use a "Better" framework.

They use it for other games. Very weird to me theyd have it off for BF4 since that was the headline Mantle game.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Huh, you're right. That is odd.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

An HBM-equipped AM4 APU based on a low-power Fury/Arctic Islands GPU would be real interesting to see, though we probably won't see that until at least halfway into next year
I'd love to see something like this by mid next year...unfortunately I think mid-ish 2017 or so is a more realistic expectation for a APU with HBM. Mid 2016 APU info. already got leaked. Yea its WCCF but they're just reposting someone else's stuff here and it does seem to be legit.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Your best bet would be a big boy HVAC unit pulled from a commercial freezer, or a regular central air system. A 24k BTU cooling system would be able to keep the machine at a toasty -10F by simply blowing a ton of cold-rear end air through the plenum you housed the computer in. It would be an amazingly extravagant waste, but you could get a stupid as gently caress OC while still using air as the cooling medium.
That could work but yea amazingly extravagant waste. Also it'd suck to try and deal with condensation. Enough dielectric grease would fix that problem but god what a mess to deal with!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

That could work but yea amazingly extravagant waste. Also it'd suck to try and deal with condensation. Enough dielectric grease would fix that problem but god what a mess to deal with!

I still have found memories (although as an observer, not actually spending the money myself) of the phase change cooling days. Had a friend who had an Athlon system with a Vapochill Lightspeed AC hooked up to it. When he went to take the CPU out, the pins were so brittle they stayed in the socket. I recall another friend also having Vapochill.

Nobody seems to bother anymore, so most of the extreme stuff is either done for show at events. If you search the web, though, you can find some great cascade setups (mostly from years gone by), where they use different refrigerants at each stage with properties suited for that temperature range, until they achieve ultra low temps.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
We just threw away our Kryotech documentation lol

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I always thought the in-ground cooling loop was the most elegant, although perhaps not the implementation I saw but the concept of it.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
The Bronze EVGA 750w PSU is $10 more than the 600w PSU. Does the extra power help?

Also, does this EVGA GTX 970 or this Sapphire 290x have any issues? The GTX looks like it's somewhat faster with less power draw, but I'm just comparing numbers. I know next to nothing about GPU's.

I'm guessing I also need to purchase connector cables since the 970 is dual six pin and the 290x dual 8 pin.

Thanks for all the help on this. :tipshat:

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 18, 2015

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

The guys on the XS forums did some of the craziest stuff with phase change. Most of the pics are gone now but still worth a browse just to see what you could do with a triple stage phase change unit.

Once you go helium cryo cooled you don't ever want to go back.

edit: No but there are lots of weird bugs associated with all the (few) Mantle renderers so it wouldn't surprise me if some games had resolution related issues when using Mantle.\/\/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 18, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Doesn't mantle have some odd resolution issues? I could have sworn I read that somewhere... I know it works at 1440p though.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

MoraleHazard posted:

The Bronze EVGA 750w PSU is $10 more than the 600w PSU. Does the extra power help?

Also, does this EVGA GTX 970 or this Sapphire 290x have any issues? The GTX looks like it's somewhat faster with less power draw, but I'm just comparing numbers. I know next to nothing about GPU's.

Extra power does not help although it may be a higher quality PSU, that's something you'll only determine by reading reviews of both. 600 W is more than enough though.

If you're on the fence between a 290x and 970 at the same price I would always nudge towards 970

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Seamonster posted:

?? Mantle OFF in BF4???

Good on em, but still, drat is that showy. I don't even know if they optimize for not-Mantle when Mantle is available.

MoraleHazard posted:

I'm guessing I also need to purchase connector cables since the 970 is dual six pin and the 290x dual 8 pin.

Sapphire makes a top notch 290X, I've heard mixed things about some of the EVGA 970s but I think the later ones are pretty solid. I think ACX 2 is the right one but someone else probably knows better.

PSUs are most efficient around 50% of their load, but most people spend a ton of time at idle, so a good 600w should match a 290 or 970 fine. I run a 970 and my total load including monitors rarely gets much over 300W.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 18, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ACX 2 is the same name used for both the poo poo tier EVGA coolers and the "okay" tier ones. It is a huge confusing mess and it is easier to just buy a MSI card.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

xthetenth posted:

PSUs are most efficient around 50% of their load,

While this is technically true, you are talking a few percent on a modern 80plus psu between 25-50-75-100% loads so its not really that big of a thing to worry about. If the 750 is only $10 more than go ahead and get it or get a nicer lower wattage unit if its the same money.

edit: Ahh, fatwallet doesn't pay cashback on computer parts anymore :(

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

ACX 2 is the same name used for both the poo poo tier EVGA coolers and the "okay" tier ones. It is a huge confusing mess and it is easier to just buy a MSI card.

drat, I was worried about that. I stopped paying attention when I grabbed a G1.

Don Lapre posted:

While this is technically true, you are talking a few percent on a modern 80plus psu between 25-50-75-100% loads so its not really that big of a thing to worry about. If the 750 is only $10 more than go ahead and get it or get a nicer lower wattage unit if its the same money.

edit: Ahh, fatwallet doesn't pay cashback on computer parts anymore :(

True. And it is good to have more room just in case.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Dat card flex

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Don Lapre posted:

Dat card flex

Lol 980ti with PC mate/pentium combo? Thats like a computer attached to a graphics card

I've owned a PC mate/pentium combo with a 780ti :x

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Lol 980ti with PC mate/pentium combo? Thats like a computer attached to a graphics card

I've owned a PC mate/pentium combo with a 780ti :x

970 /w a 4790k

The motherboard seems pretty decent for what it is and its price point. He had a i7-920 or something and thought it was bottlenecking and wouldn't listen to me to buy a better gpu instead.

i also removed his old asetek (ie ticking timebomb)

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 18, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I've got a backplate :smug:.

overclock3d has a 390X review up and it's generally hanging in there with 980s.

The 390 refresh/rebrand makes sense just to get those stock blower reviews off the cards, I think.

Note that they did get an MSI 8G. AMD's playing it smart to get the most of purging the old benches.

Edit: Guru3D has one too, same MSI card, same yeah it's a refresh but it's performing well summary but they mention it's not something you can't get with a 290X. Clocked at 1100 MHz and slightly faster memory than the 390X gives it 10% more clock speed and 22% more memory bandwidth. 260W peak power.

It's frightening how badly AMD shot themselves in the foot with the reference 290(X) and not having aftermarket ones to send to reviewers.

Also the 390X seems to be getting near perfect OC scaling from a 10% core/memory OC in guru3d's review, bodes well for Fury.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 18, 2015

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Zip ties. I zip tie the corner of that exact same Windforce to my optical drive cage.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

BurritoJustice posted:

Does Newegg or somewhere else have a tier comparison for each manufacturer because the 6 iterations of cards for each manufacturer is confusing. For MSI, this one looks promising.

I don't mind spending a few extra dollars if the MSI is a better deal overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

MoraleHazard posted:

Does Newegg or somewhere else have a tier comparison for each manufacturer because the 6 iterations of cards for each manufacturer is confusing. For MSI, this one looks promising.

I don't mind spending a few extra dollars if the MSI is a better deal overall.

I'm pretty sure that one's excellent and one of the best 970. Basically EVGA half-assed their cooler on release, so their stuff is a mixed bag, with some early coolers having one heatpipe not actually functional and so on and getting beat by everyone else's coolers. I'd wait for someone who stayed paying attention to 970 coolers to be sure of it though.

If you want to check out a noise comparison video, computerbase.de has a comparison if you search for "Elf Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 im Vergleich", go down to the nav bar, click Seite 1/6, and then Lautstärke & Temperatur. (sorry, at work and posting from phone)

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 18, 2015