Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

sbaldrick posted:

Flip or Flop is the best HGTV show.

Rehab Addict because i was immediately offended by the name and it still charmed me. too much of hgtv is canadian-born smoke and mirrors bullshit imo

Argue posted:

Counterproposal: Watch the show all the way through to the end, and keep us (or the still-alive Dexter thread) all posted on your thoughts so far.

do not listen to this person, they do not want what is best for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Super excited about this. I only just recently read the book, and I loved it.

Though there are a couple of rather creepy scenes I can't imagine they keep as is. Then again, I said that about the end of Outlander, and well :stare:
I've not read the book but it's on Starz so... there shouldn't be any problems?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's one scene in particular that nobody would do but that's okay as it is an aside bit and could be cut from the story.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Knowing Starz that scene is probably what sealed the deal.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
What scene was that? (You can spoiler tag it). It's been so long since I read the book I can barely rememer anything about it except that I liked the world but the story was glacially paced.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The one where the goddess is a prostitute and she has sex with a guy and he ends up sticking his whole body up her vagina.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah. That scene.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

The one where the goddess is a prostitute and she has sex with a guy and he ends up sticking his whole body up her vagina.

That one? Pssh, I'm sure Vagina Dentata/Vagina Vore has already been done before.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Broad City is the best thing I've seen in a while. That is all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

Broad City is the best thing I've seen in a while. That is all.

It's aggressively funny. Like, I dare anyone in a lovely mood to watch that show and not crack a smile. It loving owns.

Pardon me, I'm gonna smoke some pussy weed now.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I watched Tyrant even though I swore last year that I wouldn't. I still can't believe actual professional writers are being paid real money to write this poo poo. There were at least a handful of writers in a room somewhere discussing how to get Bassam out of his execution and the best thing they came up with was hey let's have Jamal execute some other dude with a hood on his head and then dump Bassam in the desert to die. "I won't let you make me kill you, the land you say you love so much will kill you instead." What the gently caress, in what world does that make any sense? Having some soldier hang him is the same loving thing, except he can't survive that one. There were also way too many scenes with his dumb wife.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

muscles like this? posted:

I hope they keep in djinn jizz, and the notion of those snapshot chapters though.

They missed their window in his career to cast Dwayne Johnson as Shadow :(

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Nobby posted:

I hope they keep in djinn jizz, and the notion of those snapshot chapters though.

They missed their window in his career to cast Dwayne Johnson as Shadow :(

Change it up.
Cast Jessica Alba as Shadow-ess
Or Wentworth Miller
Or even Jason Momoa

e:Actually they could cast the Hawaiian guy from Teen Wolf if they want a bit of a younger(?) bent.

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 17, 2015

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
To the guy watching Dexter, I'd say season 5 is worth watching too. But then start watching Hannibal or Bates Motel after that is over.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Postal Parcel posted:

Change it up.
Cast Jessica Alba as Shadow-ess
Or Wentworth Miller
Or even Jason Momoa

e:Actually they could cast the Hawaiian guy from Teen Wolf if they want a bit of a younger(?) bent.

Keanu Reeves.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

VDay posted:

Keanu Reeves.

I hate what this says about me but I'd probably be down.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Didn't see this mentioned yet but Hulu has decided to get rid of the "Plus" branding and replacing it with... nothing.

Unrelated but today I was watching Comedy Central's afternoon programming, which is all reruns of stuff they own, and noticed they're really bad at cutting for time. For example, I was watching the episode of Futurama where Leela and Amy get involved with the whole butterfly sport thing and they completely cut the end of the episode. So instead of getting a conclusion to the whole Fry as a butterfly monster the episode just ended.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Anyone watching Humans? I started watching the first episode and it reminded me of Black Mirror (which I love), but I couldn't get into it.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Can we talk about "Mr. Robot"?
I've seen the commercials and, while it looks well produced and probably even well acted(for a USA drama), there's something about the way the pitch is presented that has me rolling my eyes and sighing.

Has there been any press or reactions towards it yet?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Postal Parcel posted:

I've seen the commercials and, while it looks well produced and probably even well acted(for a USA drama), there's something about the way the pitch is presented that has me rolling my eyes and sighing.

It's been incredibly well-received by critics and the general audience. The pilot's up on YouTube if you want to watch and I recommend it. It's one of the best pilots I've ever seen.

Also, the whole speech done by the main character in the advertising comes off as sanctimonious for a reason, (light spoilers but just in case): He's likely a paranoid schizophrenic.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
They early released the first episode and it was really cool. The lead is an ur-Unreliable Narrator and a total scumbag which makes it really fascinating trying to figure out what the real deal is.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Tried to get through first episode of Stitchers. I couldn't because it's complete poo poo.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Another Period was looking pretty lovely until Helen Keller showed up. I'm still not big on it but at least the chaos that ensued showed promise.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Postal Parcel posted:

No joke I for some reason thought it was a TV remake of "Overdrawn at the Memorybank" when I first saw the trailer for it for some reason.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man the preair reviews for True Detective season 2 have been really negative. I predicted a pretty major step down but I was still hoping it would actually be watchable.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Bown posted:

Man the preair reviews for True Detective season 2 have been really negative. I predicted a pretty major step down but I was still hoping it would actually be watchable.

Sepinwall really didn't care for it much. It looks like while the first season went right up to the line, this one has Pizzolatto crossing over it. He seemed self aware enough with Season 1, but maybe that's something that came across more in the performances and the direction than his writing.

But it's not that surprising that it might not be great. Read any interview with him and it's impressive to see how utterly up his own rear end that he is.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I only managed to sit through one episode of True Detective before getting tired of the premise. Its good to see the rest of the world is catching up.

True Dick is a lot like Hannibal in that its 100% style over substance, and you're either into the style or the show isn't for you. Dick managed to get away with being a ponderously boring character piece because it was still a fresh concept. This year there's nothing fresh about it and you can smell it rotting in the garbage. Now, how Hannibal manages to get away with it (although the ratings indicate it doesn't) is beyond me, but I guess Hannibal enjoys the benefit of lower expectations. Fans know when they watch Hannibal that its nothing more than an hour long Dior ad culminating in a murder. Fans of Dick, after all the hype and praise of season 1, were probably expecting a little something more.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm just starting a Sliders rewatch. I basically remember nothing, I was a teenager last time i watched it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sliders does not hold up well at all. Especially the later seasons when they clumsily insert a meta-plot and replace half the characters.

DivisionPost posted:

Another Period was looking pretty lovely until Helen Keller showed up. I'm still not big on it but at least the chaos that ensued showed promise.

Comedy Central has been showing commercials for it nonstop but nothing about them makes me want to watch it. They're basically "THIS ISN'T YOUR DADDY'S PORTRAYAL OF 19th CENTURY FIGURES!" Or whatever century it's supposed to be, I can't tell that from the commercials either.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

I'm just starting a Sliders rewatch. I basically remember nothing, I was a teenager last time i watched it.

From what I remember, it was mostly enjoyable when it was just kind of one off stories and went downhill once the "Kromags" were introduced and they went through a bunch of cast changes. I think by the last season they had exactly one original cast member.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Netflix is adapting Lemony Snicket as a series because apparently they like to stack paper to the roof.

Also Fargo is back in September.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv4ABEEbabQ

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Fans know when they watch Hannibal that its nothing more than an hour long Dior ad culminating in a murder.

Nailed it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Netflix is adapting Lemony Snicket as a series because apparently they like to stack paper to the roof.

They announced this like six months ago, I was amused to see it pop up everywhere the past couple of days.

Looking forward to it, the books are still pretty amusing/entertaining rereading them as an adult.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Just finished reading the first Wayward Pines book. Overall i like the show better, though there's some stuff I wish they'd included, mainly how the townspeople are so bloodthirsty and treat the hunt like a weird orgy. It's this idea of venting out of this weird oppression that could've been really disturbing and effective in the right hands.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Is there some sort of website, addon or plugin I could use to easily monitor the days TV shows I want to watch come on, without having to sort through other ones I don't? Either unselecting the ones I don't or through adding only the shows I do want to watch and it will automatically keep track of when those shows have reruns or skipping weeks?

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Botnit posted:

Is there some sort of website, addon or plugin I could use to easily monitor the days TV shows I want to watch come on, without having to sort through other ones I don't? Either unselecting the ones I don't or through adding only the shows I do want to watch and it will automatically keep track of when those shows have reruns or skipping weeks?

https://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

raditts posted:

Sliders does not hold up well at all. Especially the later seasons when they clumsily insert a meta-plot and replace half the characters.

Comedy Central has been showing commercials for it nonstop but nothing about them makes me want to watch it. They're basically "THIS ISN'T YOUR DADDY'S PORTRAYAL OF 19th CENTURY FIGURES!" Or whatever century it's supposed to be, I can't tell that from the commercials either.

I thought it was like, "This is what the modern lifestyle would look like back in the late 18xxs or early 19xxs."
It's more or less "Real Housewives of Rhode Island", just set at the turn of the century. So, "Real Housewives of Rhode Island."

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I've used that religiously for years, also have the trakt.tv plugin installed on Plex which is useful. Shame pog doesn't have anything like that. Haven't really looked at trakts site much since they redesigned and it looks more confusing now.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Can someone tell me which episode of Friday Night Lights is the one where the players burn/cut permanent marks into their skin? I wanna rewatch that scene and google isn't being helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Botnit posted:

I use this

https://www.episodecalendar.com/calendar

• Locked thread