Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

For all the talk of unrealistic or realistic the biggest thing for me was the illegal language in the Hooli employment contract. I imagine something that has happened in real life though, its just hard to imagine a gently caress-up of that magnitude at the world's biggest tech company.

I don't care, as long as the show is funny but for me it was tapping into the hydro lines for a suburban California garage to run the servers.

Remember a few years back when SomethingAwful's servers went down? I think it was from flooding due to Hurricane Katrina. Now that was funny (only in hindsight, not really funny at the time)

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

pentyne posted:

For all the talk of unrealistic or realistic the biggest thing for me was the illegal language in the Hooli employment contract. I imagine something that has happened in real life though, its just hard to imagine a gently caress-up of that magnitude at the world's biggest tech company.

This is in Handy's(a home cleaning Uber-like service) current Terms of Service:

quote:

Handy is not an employment service and does not serve as an employer of any Professional. As such, we will not be liable for any tax or withholding, including but not limited to unemployment insurance, employer's liability, social security or payroll withholding tax in connection with your use of Professional Services. You understand and agree that if we are found to be liable for any tax or withholding tax in connection with your use of Professional Services, then you will immediately reimburse and pay to us an equivalent amount, including any interest or penalties thereon.

What that says is that if Handy's Independent Contractors are determined to be employees and Handy is forced to pay taxes (and possibly interest/penalties) on those employees - the Independent Contractor agrees to pay Handy whatever the government assesses.

In other words, even if what they do is illegal, you have to pay the amount they tried to get out of paying. This will not hold up in court, but they had some high-powered lawyer add it anyways.

Silicon Valley probably doesn't go far enough in its satire.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
They actually did hyperbolize a current lawsuit with that Hooli contract joke.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
And Uber just lost a lawsuit over its employment/not really employment policy.
Binding arbitration just moved a potential liability into a kneecapping, and Gavin is to blame.

I knew pipe piper would win the arbitration went Gavin offer $10 million dollars for it. Perfectly structured hubris.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Enderzero posted:

This is in Handy's(a home cleaning Uber-like service) current Terms of Service:

What that says is that if Handy's Independent Contractors are determined to be employees and Handy is forced to pay taxes (and possibly interest/penalties) on those employees - the Independent Contractor agrees to pay Handy whatever the government assesses.

In other words, even if what they do is illegal, you have to pay the amount they tried to get out of paying. This will not hold up in court, but they had some high-powered lawyer add it anyways.

Silicon Valley probably doesn't go far enough in its satire.

The current model of "independent contractor" based business in looking to get hosed brutally hard after Uber lost their case. Every other business like it is probably now scrambling to get their talking points in order and start lobbying legislatures to pass laws protecting them.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

pentyne posted:

The current model of "independent contractor" based business in looking to get hosed brutally hard after Uber lost their case. Every other business like it is probably now scrambling to get their talking points in order and start lobbying legislatures to pass laws protecting them.

Yup. Although the Uber case only concerned one person, that precedent will probably hold up for many others. The question is whether the founders just try to make their nut and let the businesses die since the business model is broken, or if they try to lobby for protection. I'm not sure lobbying will work only because they aren't governed by federal laws but local ones - and they've pissed off a lot of cities who are not going to see much local benefit.

Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Richard , Elric, and all of them that hold stock can in fact sue the company and I will laugh so hard if Richard has to win his company back by sueing himself basically.

When you put it this way this is probably what has to happen. It's absurd and stupid and perfect

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Can we take a moment to appreciate this thread made it to the end of the season without being perma-locked. WE DID IT, GUYS!

Much like Pied Piper, we overcame many obstacles.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's completely unrealistic that this thread was never deleted.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Sir Kodiak posted:

Somebody send lowtax a bottle of Tres Commas tequila.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Division Post put a bottle of '3 Locked GoT Threads' tequila on the delete button and we still made it through.

(he also refuses to watch this show, so maybe that has something to do with it)

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Richard , Elric, and all of them that hold stock can in fact sue the company and I will laugh so hard if Richard has to win his company back by sueing himself basically.

Pied Piper has a stupid name, no income, no customers or clients, and had a highly illegal and dangerous server farm running out of Erlich's bungalow. Now they are part of a huge corporation which will use their software to pull in millions and make them all rich.

I don't follow why you think they would sue, or what their cause would be. "Your honor, we've gone from zero to getting regular paycheques, stock dividends, free office space in a gorgeous building with more amenities than you can count, very little responsibility, and our former CEO has stopped wetting the bed...it's intolerable!"

edit: and from the tv point of view, this is a satire of the tech industry, not Night Court or The Good Wife. Spending time in court would take time away from the core comedy of the show.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 19, 2015

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
The goon version of Silicon Valley would be hilarious.

Scene 1: Hey guys we have a problem here is the problem
CEO: "let's fix it by doing x"
Staff: Yes!
Scene 2: Solution works.

End.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The only problem with that show is every goon project ever is a spectacular failure.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Spoeank posted:

The only problem with that show is every goon project ever is a spectacular failure.

Oh yes :allears:

FINGERBLASTER69
Nov 15, 2014

kloa posted:

Oh yes :allears:

Remember the goon summer camp zipline?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3290020&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Depending on what you're into swap.avi?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

BlindSite posted:

Depending on what you're into swap.avi?

Alright alright, they turn out to be either a spectacular failure or mostly poo poo.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Game of Bones seems to be doing OK.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Goal: a goon tech start-up

Reality: the homeless founder falls through the ceiling of a Bay Area thrift shop he was squatting in. He grabs a mannequin and says "my nigga have you tried middle-out compression?"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I never bothered to find what ended up happening with the goon island project.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

pentyne posted:

Contracts get written 20 years ago when the company was small and the founders where unaware of the legalities, that line gets copied and pasted over and over in every contract hence.

The lawyers the company hires when it get's big overlook it, assuming that whoever did it before them did the research.

Assuming they even read their own contracts.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 19, 2015

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

CelestialScribe posted:

The goon version of Silicon Valley would be hilarious.

Scene 1: Hey guys we have a problem here is the problem
CEO: "let's fix it by doing x"
Staff: Yes!
Scene 2: Solution works.

End.

Leonard J Crabs would be amazing as PP's attorney lawyer.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
upgrade your summer wardrobe

http://skreened.com/deucedesigns/tres-commas-tequila

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

What really makes me sad about the ending of the finale is that there's a chance Russ Hanneman won't be in season 3 :(.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

bowser posted:

What really makes me sad about the ending of the finale is that there's a chance Russ Hanneman won't be in season 3 :(.

I wasn't a fan of him actually, I think Gavin is a much better villain. Also it doesn't help that all the drama surrounding Russ would never happen in the real world, contracts and investments like the ones they had don't work that way in real life. So really he was just throwing a wrench in the gears for no reason and it was more annoying than it was funny.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Spoeank posted:

Alright alright, they turn out to be either a spectacular failure or mostly poo poo.

:golfclap:

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

bowser posted:

It's not a chance it was basically a promise

escalator incident
Oct 1, 2005

Sorry for the convenience.
Fun Shoe

Ordered immedately

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Is that an official shirt? Meaning did they make that, or did someone just cash in? I know it probably doesn't matter, but if that's an official shirt I'm buying this frantically, but if it's just some guy with a Hanes shirt and a silk screen asking for $24, nope.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Binary Logic posted:

Pied Piper has a stupid name, no income, no customers or clients, and had a highly illegal and dangerous server farm running out of Erlich's bungalow. Now they are part of a huge corporation which will use their software to pull in millions and make them all rich.

I don't follow why you think they would sue, or what their cause would be. "Your honor, we've gone from zero to getting regular paycheques, stock dividends, free office space in a gorgeous building with more amenities than you can count, very little responsibility, and our former CEO has stopped wetting the bed...it's intolerable!"

edit: and from the tv point of view, this is a satire of the tech industry, not Night Court or The Good Wife. Spending time in court would take time away from the core comedy of the show.

Which huge corporation are they a part of now? VC firms usually don't move the companies they stake into their office space.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Is that an official shirt? Meaning did they make that, or did someone just cash in? I know it probably doesn't matter, but if that's an official shirt I'm buying this frantically, but if it's just some guy with a Hanes shirt and a silk screen asking for $24, nope.

Judging by the other shirts on that site, it's not official at all

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
P. sure HBO wouldn't have to rely on a DIY screen-printing website for selling their promotional merchandise.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bowser posted:

Mark Cuban says he watches the show and said he loved the Russ gets rich story scene.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

withak posted:

P. sure HBO wouldn't have to rely on a DIY screen-printing website for selling their promotional merchandise.

And it's not overpriced and crappy looking. 2 requirements of official hbo merch.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Itt some people are invested in the paper thin characters in a TV sitcom about it nerds.
Season 1 had a higher lol metric when measured against season 2, but lower against Veep.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

osietra posted:

Itt some people are invested in the paper thin characters in a TV sitcom about it nerds.

Not sure these guys are "it nerds". That's more like, I don't know, Zooey Deschanel.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
They are it nerds. And they know it.

Sorry, but my emotions run hot and wild.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

osietra posted:

Season 1 had a higher lol metric when measured against season 2, but lower against Veep.

Idk man, are you sure your lol scanner is properly calibrated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Turbonic lol rotoscoping is the future.

• Locked thread