Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Is the Rotten Library image-free? This sounds interesting, but I'm terrified to click the link at work. Or anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

pookel posted:

Is the Rotten Library image-free? This sounds interesting, but I'm terrified to click the link at work. Or anywhere.

I just checked it out and randomly clicked on some articles. There are images but I haven't seen anything gross. The entry for sodomy is definitely NWS. Ruby Ridge had some pics that look like they could be from a news report. Checking out Internment Camps had one disturbing pic but kinda what you'd expect for the topic. I'm guessing that you could happen upon something disturbing but most articles are text only it seems. They're definitely not going out of their way to be gross.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Omnishambles posted:

I just checked it out and randomly clicked on some articles. There are images but I haven't seen anything gross. The entry for sodomy is definitely NWS. Ruby Ridge had some pics that look like they could be from a news report. Checking out Internment Camps had one disturbing pic but kinda what you'd expect for the topic. I'm guessing that you could happen upon something disturbing but most articles are text only it seems. They're definitely not going out of their way to be gross.

The black dahlia one has images of the body. Not really sure what I was expecting but yeah, dont open this at work

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MoreLikeTen posted:

The black dahlia one has images of the body. Not really sure what I was expecting but yeah, dont open this at work

Huh. I thought I specifically checked that one out. Imma check again...

Edit: Weird when I go to the Black Dahlia page it's just text. Actually, that's how I originally got to the Sodomy page.
http://www.rotten.com/library/crime/unsolved-crimes/black-dahlia-murder/

RoyKeen has a new favorite as of 17:51 on Jun 17, 2015

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

It's a great story. The Atavist had an excellent essay on it, which you can probably find via Longform. ("1000 pounds of dynamite"?) They also sold a short ebook with a much extended treatment that was also good.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
PYF scary or unnerving article or Wikipedia: Actually, that's how I originally got to the Sodomy page.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Omnishambles posted:

Huh. I thought I specifically checked that one out. Imma check again...

Edit: Weird when I go to the Black Dahlia page it's just text. Actually, that's how I originally got to the Sodomy page.
http://www.rotten.com/library/crime/unsolved-crimes/black-dahlia-murder/

Black Dahlia is also all-text for me, but sodomy has pictures, site overall still nsfw. How's that one guy getting photos on the Black Dahlia page and we aren't?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

InediblePenguin posted:

Black Dahlia is also all-text for me, but sodomy has pictures, site overall still nsfw. How's that one guy getting photos on the Black Dahlia page and we aren't?

I know. I'm jealous!

FYI:nws:

http://poetry.rotten.com/black-dahlia/ has pics :nws:

RoyKeen has a new favorite as of 21:54 on Jun 17, 2015

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Screaming Idiot posted:

If you're going to perform acts of cartoonish near-supervillainy, you ought to at least have a bangin' soundtrack. That wacky evil cult just gained a measure of respect in my calloused eyes.

Reminds me of a detail from the Snowtown murders which has always unnerved me a bit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowtown_murders

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/09/08/1062901996929.html

quote:

Bunting and Wagner bragged openly about killing, and Bunting called it "playing".

Their enjoyment became overt and was ritualised through the use of a song, Selling the Drama from Live's Throwing Copper CD. They played it when a killing began. The lyric included the line And to love: a god / And to fear: a flame. And later, tellingly, Hey, now we won't be raped / Hey, now we won't be scarred like that.

Not sure if it was just this one song though, I read an account that said they would play the whole CD. Regardless I can no longer hear any of the songs off that album without feeling a little bit creeped out. Those poor bastards, what a way to go :(

I actually drove through Snowtown many years ago, a couple of years before the murders happened. It struck me then as being a slightly creepy place, sort of silent hill-ish. Absolutely the sort of place you'd expect something like this to happen.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

nockturne posted:

Reminds me of a detail from the Snowtown murders which has always unnerved me a bit.

Not sure if it was just this one song though, I read an account that said they would play the whole CD. Regardless I can no longer hear any of the songs off that album without feeling a little bit creeped out. Those poor bastards, what a way to go :(

I actually drove through Snowtown many years ago, a couple of years before the murders happened. It struck me then as being a slightly creepy place, sort of silent hill-ish. Absolutely the sort of place you'd expect something like this to happen.

In a way, the place doesn't really deserve its reputation, since Bunting and Wagner were from Brisbane and Sydney respectively, and they committed most of the murders in the northern fringe of Adelaide. Snowtown was just where the bodies were. Incidentally, that Wiki article has been shortened pretty significantly since the last time I read it. If you really hate yourself, the court transcripts are here: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/sa/SASC/2004/235.html

Text-only but still quite :nms:

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Does anyone here know what happened to Rotten? I used to check the Rotten Daily News every morning and it just stopped one day (Feb 2013, I think?). There was never any notice and I never came across any articles about it, which I thought was kind of odd since it was a pretty infamous site. When I was in mortuary school the teachers would actually project it on the board to illustrate different types of trauma that we'd have to fix.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Holy gently caress. I never realized she was cut in two... :gonk:

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

nockturne posted:

The thing that sticks most in my mind about the Snowtown murders was the typical Australian penchant for tastelessness in the form of souvenirs! "You'll have a barrel of fun!"

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/tourists-snap-up-souvenirs-of-snowtowns-past/story-e6frea6u-1226426179414

There was also a rather good film made about the inccident

Sunmoe
Feb 22, 2011
Over the weekend, two women--a mother and her daughter--were reported missing in my neck of the woods. The daughter was disabled and her mother was her caretaker. These two women were very well liked. They came to Springfield after Hurricane Katrina. Their home was destoryed and they wanted to make a fresh new start. The daughter, Gyspy Rose, was inspirational to all that met her. She carried on a cheerful disposition dispite being in and out of hospitals. The mother was very kind-hearted and was considered an angel. They were both very social and would make friends at every turn. A couple of disturbing facebook post on their joint page lead their friends and neighbors to call the police. The police discovered the mother's body. She was brutally murdered, stabbed in the back many times and was slashed at the back of the neck. The daughter was missing. Neighbors and friends are shocked, saddened, and worried. Where is Gyspy Rose?

A day later, she was discovered in Wisconsin with a young man. Turns out, Gyspy and her mother had some serious skeletons in their closet and they're coming out now in droves.

This article here, http://thoughtcatalog.com/m-j-pack/...abled-daughter/, goes into detail about the whole thing. New details about their lives are coming out every day and it's pretty shocking. How they got away with so much and never got caught is beyond me. I'm surprised it hasn't made national news yet.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Sunmoe posted:

Over the weekend, two women--a mother and her daughter--were reported missing in my neck of the woods. The daughter was disabled and her mother was her caretaker. These two women were very well liked. They came to Springfield after Hurricane Katrina. Their home was destoryed and they wanted to make a fresh new start. The daughter, Gyspy Rose, was inspirational to all that met her. She carried on a cheerful disposition dispite being in and out of hospitals. The mother was very kind-hearted and was considered an angel. They were both very social and would make friends at every turn. A couple of disturbing facebook post on their joint page lead their friends and neighbors to call the police. The police discovered the mother's body. She was brutally murdered, stabbed in the back many times and was slashed at the back of the neck. The daughter was missing. Neighbors and friends are shocked, saddened, and worried. Where is Gyspy Rose?

A day later, she was discovered in Wisconsin with a young man. Turns out, Gyspy and her mother had some serious skeletons in their closet and they're coming out now in droves.

This article here, http://thoughtcatalog.com/m-j-pack/...abled-daughter/, goes into detail about the whole thing. New details about their lives are coming out every day and it's pretty shocking. How they got away with so much and never got caught is beyond me. I'm surprised it hasn't made national news yet.

This thing just got crazier and crazier as it went on... and it's still going on :stare:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
People who name their kids Gypsy Rose always seem to be hosed up in some way.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Sunmoe posted:

holy poo poo dude. thanks for the link, this is nuts

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

People who name their kids Gypsy Rose always seem to be hosed up in some way.

Well yeah, most people think "Maybe I shouldn't name my child an ethnic slur."

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Does anyone here know what happened to Rotten? I used to check the Rotten Daily News every morning and it just stopped one day (Feb 2013, I think?). There was never any notice and I never came across any articles about it, which I thought was kind of odd since it was a pretty infamous site. When I was in mortuary school the teachers would actually project it on the board to illustrate different types of trauma that we'd have to fix.

I was curious about this too. I thought the rotten library was really well-done, and I thought that the site got a lot of traffic overall. It's still hosted, so presumably the owner didn't just walk away.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

pienipple posted:

Or at least "maybe I shouldn't name my daughter after the woman who invented the modern striptease".

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Well that Gypsy Rose story is a thing. Running away I get, killing someone is kind of another matter.

AnxietyMan1488
Apr 6, 2015

by Cowcaster

quote:

Additionally, it looks like the couple were into a form of BDSM where the male takes on a father-type figure and the female assumes the role of a submissive little girl

Lol. Not surprised that they turned out to be murderers.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!

Bulgaroctonus posted:

This article goes a bit into the history of it without really explaining what happened to it. But it seemed the creator just gave it up.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

monster on a stick posted:

Well that Gypsy Rose story is a thing. Running away I get, killing someone is kind of another matter.

She tried running away and her mother kept bringing her back though. Plus the authorities didn't seem to be any help. From the POV of an abused young woman (I almost want to call her a teenager even though we know that isn't true anymore) it might not have felt like she had any other options.

For fucks sake, her mom drugged her up to the point her teeth fell out. :nms:

Sunmoe
Feb 22, 2011

Chichevache posted:

She tried running away and her mother kept bringing her back though. Plus the authorities didn't seem to be any help. From the POV of an abused young woman (I almost want to call her a teenager even though we know that isn't true anymore) it might not have felt like she had any other options.

For fucks sake, her mom drugged her up to the point her teeth fell out. :nms:

This. Seems like her mother was very controlling. I don't think she went to school or had any true friends.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
That article seems to be sourced almost entirely from Facebook. I reckon it might pay to wait a bit before making any judgements.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

That article seems to be sourced almost entirely from Facebook. I reckon it might pay to wait a bit before making any judgements.

Well duh.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

pienipple posted:

Most people are probably unaware that Gypsy is considered offensive

Sunmoe
Feb 22, 2011

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The stepmother and other family stuff and that situation in 2011, yeah I would take with a grain of salt but everything else is in line with what's being reported. We'll probably find out more details about her life when the trial starts.

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009

Bug Bill Murray posted:

Not people in the UK.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Tibor posted:

Not people in the UK.
I might be wrong, but I don't think Springfield, Missouri is in the UK.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Bug Bill Murray posted:

In the US the Roma more or less completely integrated and racism against them seems like a weird foreigner thing as a result.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Terrible Opinions posted:

In the US the Roma more or less completely integrated and racism against them seems like a weird foreigner thing as a result.
This, and I was also under the impression that "Gyspy" was an outdated, not-preferred term without actually being a slur. Like saying Oriental for an Asian person, or Indian for Native Americans, but not like saying "n*gger".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bug Bill Murray posted:

Romani Traveler Rose just doesn't have the same ring to it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Roma people are assimilated white people, like italians or armenians. Most Americans think gypsies are stock characters from fairytales. My own mother didn't believe me when I said they were an ethnic group. Literally thought they were like wizards or vampires or something.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Jack Gladney posted:

Roma people are assimilated white people, like italians or armenians. Most Americans think gypsies are stock characters from fairytales. My own mother didn't believe me when I said they were an ethnic group. Literally thought they were like wizards or vampires or something.

Hey, Stephen King made a nice pile of money doing just that.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I didn't know gypsy was a slur. I just thought it was the regular name for that ethnic group.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Europe has really weird race problems, as bad or worse than America, just with slightly different targets. It's sort of like how we forget in America that Slavs aren't just "white".

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Terrible Opinions posted:

Europe has really weird race problems, as bad or worse than America, just with slightly different targets. It's sort of like how we forget in America that Slavs aren't just "white".

I misread that as "Slaves" at first and was really confused. Thought maybe you were going for "edgy," especially with your user name, then I realized no, I just can't read. But yea, you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, the category of whiteness really lets us Americans develop a laser-focus for our horrible racism and channel it in a few well-known directions. Group assimilates? They turn white. Another group starts scaring people/enters the popular imagination? Whiteness engulfs some other group of swarthy people to throw the outsiders into sharper relief. As long as we have blackness to scare grandma, the system keeps going. poo poo, if it weren't for 9/11, Arabs would probably be white by now.

You Euros really confuse the poo poo out of us with all your byzantine hatreds.