Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

a thousand puns and not one of them worth saying

Brainbread posted:

Oh my lord that is completely adorable. Is it ok if I I give it a shot myself when I have time?

Thank you, and absolutely! I'm definitely gonna find some things from with the pattern once I attempt it, so I'll update any fixes when I make it. Feel free to copy it or do your own take!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

That is adorable and fantastic, and on a weird note, thank you for making it look proper. People give it a head sometimes and it looks totally unlike the weird and wonderful first sketch/sighting of it.

Thanks! Classic mothman is so goofy and perfect that I couldn't bear to change it much. It's so cute and stupid. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
I got another monster dude done:

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
also: teeny shark

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!
I love the shark! He's so small and angry looking :).

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

flutterbyblue posted:

I love the shark! He's so small and angry looking :).

Me too! Is there a pattern?

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

Funhilde posted:

Me too! Is there a pattern?

Sure, here's a quick scan of the templates i made

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Davedave24 posted:

Sure, here's a quick scan of the templates i made

Thanks! I know what I'm making next for my nephew.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Thanks!

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
So a while back i made my sister a plush Creeper from Minecraft, and now I'd like to make her an Enderman. However, because I am ambitious, I'd like to include LED eyes. Does anyone have experience with this or know of a good tutorial to get me going?

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

Finished the Mothman! Sort of! Kind of didn't do it right!

I apparently had much less fabric than I thought I did, because not only did I have to do this on brown instead of black/charcoal, but I also had to shrink the proportions of the torso (and quarter the size of the overall pattern). Tinier and cuter, but not quiiiiiite what I was going for--gonna have to order a few yards and retry this in the appropriate proportion and size. I'm also a little torn over the tilt of the wings; I had to do that to compensate for the shorter torso, and I think it adds a lot of body and character to the toy (plus, he can stand up on his own now!), but it hides a lot of the feather details unless you tilt him way back.

Still pleased overall, though. I think this is my neatest and most successful attempt at 3d forms yet.

EDIT: also I think I'm gonna try and knock this one out today. Gonna wire the arms if I have any aluminum left over

TheAbominableSnow fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 28, 2015

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Awwwww, what an adorable little monster! I love it. And I think the fact he can sit up on his own is actually a decent selling point, especially in a smaller size that might live on a desk or shelf. I've been frustrated with plushes that are difficult to pose/display (one day, jellyfish! You will do as you are told.) Can't wait to see him in the size you originally planned.

I'm curious, have you considered selling your cute little monsters? I imagine there would actually be a decent market for it.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
It's me, I'm the weirdo who would buy a Flatwoods Monster plush!

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

Thanks, both of you! I've definitely thought of it--there's an anime con in Atlanta that I might use as motivation to produce a buncha lil dudes, and then I'd be interested to look into online sales if that doesn't work out. I mostly do drawn commissions so it'd be a bit of new ground.

I finished the lil flatwoods monster today; didn't actually work from the pattern and just freehanded it to see how it'd turn out, since it's fairly simple. I think I'd like to made it just a liiiiiittle larger so the arms aren't such a loving bitch to turn out. The dress almost lets it stand up without support, so I think I'll add a few ruffly inner layers to my next version for extra standing power. Not sold on the colors, or the fact the arms and torso are felt, so I may be browsing the remnants bin at Joanns to find some nicer fleece this weekend.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Does anyone here do or can recommend a really good plush refurbisher? I am willing to pay decent money, and I know it's a lot of work, but I really need my Mickey fixed and made survivable for the next 50 years. He's probably going to need a complete custom re-cover. I had wanted to send him to http://m.cherylsdollhospital.com/ but she's not taking any new orders.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Can anyone tell me a good way to hire someone for really basic plush work? I'm interested in having an off-the-shelf plushie modified with a zippered pouch for a Raspberry Pi and battery, and a carrying loop, both of which seem straightforward enough. What's a good price for that, and who do I talk to to have it done? I've gone to tailors in my area, and they won't do it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I don't know if it would be a good idea to put a raspberry pi inside something plush. They need ventilation and can get hot.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Alterian posted:

I don't know if it would be a good idea to put a raspberry pi inside something plush. They need ventilation and can get hot.
I was more asking the best way to have this plush toy modified, not if my plan would be good for the pi.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Skyscraper posted:

I was more asking the best way to have this plush toy modified, not if my plan would be good for the pi.

Going to vary wildly based on what you're doing.

FYI: a lot of the stuffing in plush is made from plastic.

Comrade Quack fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 21, 2015

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Comrade Quack posted:

Going to vary wildly based on what you're doing.

FYI: a lot of the stuffing in plush is made from plastic.

Just looking for a straightforward zippered inside pouch, any details about the pouch itself I can work out with whoever I hire to install it.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Skyscraper posted:

Just looking for a straightforward zippered inside pouch, any details about the pouch itself I can work out with whoever I hire to install it.

Have you tried poking around Etsy for custom plush makers? Some of them might be willing to do alterations even if they don't list it specifically. I'd suggest looking for someone who takes custom orders. You might do well to check out various shops, see if any of them make critters with pouches/zippers and then shoot them a convo detailing what you'd like and asking if they'd be willing to do it. Anyone that doesn't respond within a week (and that's being gracious) go ahead and move on to another store. Unfortunately some etsy shop owners will just not respond rather than give you a 'no'.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

flutterbyblue posted:

Have you tried poking around Etsy for custom plush makers? Some of them might be willing to do alterations even if they don't list it specifically. I'd suggest looking for someone who takes custom orders. You might do well to check out various shops, see if any of them make critters with pouches/zippers and then shoot them a convo detailing what you'd like and asking if they'd be willing to do it. Anyone that doesn't respond within a week (and that's being gracious) go ahead and move on to another store. Unfortunately some etsy shop owners will just not respond rather than give you a 'no'.

Oh, thank you! I'll try that.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

I made a stuffed animal!

It's supposed to be a kangaroo. It's the second plush I've ever made (third if you count the prototype for this thing), and the first time I've ever made my own pattern.

It... turned out alright, I think?

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

Last Visible Dog posted:

It... turned out alright, I think?
I like it!

I made two things recently, both for baby shower presents - a frog and a fox.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
I made a Reverse Giraffe from Rick and Morty:

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I love the baby shower critters! That plaid print really suits the cute little fox. And the reverse giraffe is awesome. (Man I love Rick and Morty).

A bundle of little birdies I did for a baby shower at my church.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm on a critter making spree!

This little guy was a bugger, sewing that mane was an experience. One thing led to another and I ended up sewing him all by hand instead of using the sewing machine for an assist.

I'm loving these little guys, really simple and only an hour or two to stitch by hand. I've got a narwhal and a plesiosaurus I'm eager to get to from the same patternmaker.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Oh hey there plush thread! My mom is taking a stab at making the 8' squid pillow that Brainbread has made a few copies of (http://build-a-diy.tumblr.com/post/60084351985/8-foot-giant-squid-pillow-youll-need-2-yards). She doesn't want to use felt so she asked me to figure out how much fabric she'd need from a 44-45" bolt and this is what I came up with for those interested:

44"x70" for the main body in one color

44"x30" for the contrasting tentacle color

Not the most efficient use of fabric but a lot less than is called for in that blog post. I ended up asymmetrically scaling each component in X and Y of the original image since the scale was way out of whack. Everything is roughly dimensionally correct now. Before, even that #6 rectangle was the wrong aspect ratio.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Oh hey there plush thread! My mom is taking a stab at making the 8' squid pillow that Brainbread has made a few copies of (http://build-a-diy.tumblr.com/post/60084351985/8-foot-giant-squid-pillow-youll-need-2-yards). She doesn't want to use felt so she asked me to figure out how much fabric she'd need from a 44-45" bolt and this is what I came up with for those interested:

44"x70" for the main body in one color

44"x30" for the contrasting tentacle color

Not the most efficient use of fabric but a lot less than is called for in that blog post. I ended up asymmetrically scaling each component in X and Y of the original image since the scale was way out of whack. Everything is roughly dimensionally correct now. Before, even that #6 rectangle was the wrong aspect ratio.

Correcting the aspect ratio of the rectangle is nice. Am I missing something else about the sizing vs scaling? I'm not seeing much saving.

Your main piece is 70" vs the suggested 72". Your tentacle contrast is 30" vs 36". Laying the pieces out in different directions isn't necessarily helpful as different fabrics will stretch in different ways, so those diagonal pieces might make act differently than the pieces laid out long ways.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Comrade Quack posted:

Correcting the aspect ratio of the rectangle is nice. Am I missing something else about the sizing vs scaling? I'm not seeing much saving.

Your main piece is 70" vs the suggested 72". Your tentacle contrast is 30" vs 36". Laying the pieces out in different directions isn't necessarily helpful as different fabrics will stretch in different ways, so those diagonal pieces might make act differently than the pieces laid out long ways.

Yeah those long pieces are going to really be stretched by being on the bias. Also I would make sure that pieces of the same size are laying in the same direction.

vivica
Feb 22, 2005

flutterbyblue posted:

I'm on a critter making spree!

This little guy was a bugger, sewing that mane was an experience. One thing led to another and I ended up sewing him all by hand instead of using the sewing machine for an assist.

I'm loving these little guys, really simple and only an hour or two to stitch by hand. I've got a narwhal and a plesiosaurus I'm eager to get to from the same patternmaker.

Who's the patten maker? that dinosaur is so adorable :)

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

Comrade Quack posted:

Your main piece is 70" vs the suggested 72". Your tentacle contrast is 30" vs 36".
The aspect ratios of each of the pieces were wrong as well as their scale relative to each other, that was the main fix.

Felt (correct me if I'm wrong here) typically comes in a 72" width, I fit everything to a 44" width (since she won't be using felt) and still only need 3 total yards.

Good point about the bias, I imagine that depends on the fabric type, right? Those are the underside of the tentacles so I can't imagine that being a huge issue unless it stuffs unevenly. Might do the contrast fabric out of a wider bolt with everything laid out axially just to be safe.

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 17, 2015

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

The aspect ratios of each of the pieces were wrong as well as their scale relative to each other, that was the main fix.

Felt (correct me if I'm wrong here) typically comes in a 72" width, I fit everything to a 44" width (since she won't be using felt) and still only need 3 total yards.

Good point about the bias, I imagine that depends on the fabric type, right? Those are the underside of the tentacles so I can't imagine that being a huge issue unless it stuffs unevenly. Might do the contrast fabric out of a wider bolt with everything laid out axially just to be safe.

Anything with a weave, cotton, polyester, rayon will be completely different on the bias. I'm not sure about fleece but I think that too stretches more too. I wouldn't risk it.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
I made an elekk plushie for blizzcon. It's from World of Warcraft. With the tailoring profession in game you can make this stuffed elephant pet. I commissioned a pattern to make a real one. I've made simple bee plushies for SASSmas before, but nothing like this. It was really fun to put together.

In game:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Reformed Tomboy posted:

I made an elekk plushie for blizzcon. It's from World of Warcraft. With the tailoring profession in game you can make this stuffed elephant pet. I commissioned a pattern to make a real one. I've made simple bee plushies for SASSmas before, but nothing like this. It was really fun to put together.

In game:

That is beyond awesome :) Really, really well done.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

flutterbyblue posted:

Do you happen to have that lion pattern laying around somewhere that I can look at?

vivica
Feb 22, 2005

Duke Igthorn posted:

Do you happen to have that lion pattern laying around somewhere that I can look at?

That looks like this guy https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/73830097/lucky-lion-stuffed-animal-pattern-pdf

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SOLD! Thank you

TheAbominableSnow
Nov 20, 2012

Whoa, nice to see some action in the thread! Hope I'll be able to contribute soon, now that I'm finished with school for a bit and ready to start stitchin' for the holidays.

Here's a question; last year the possibility of a plushie Secret Santa was brought up, albeit a little too late for it to take place. I still think that's a great idea, though! I have half a mind to suggest a DIY & Hobbies forum Secret Santa but man, I sure as heck couldn't organize that kind of thing. A little thread one still seems super fun and doable to me though. I would definitely have time to create a thing or two in addition to SASS gifts. Would anyone be up to that?

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

vivica posted:

Who's the patten maker? that dinosaur is so adorable :)

Whoops, apparently I linked patterns to facebook, but not here. Sooo here are the pattern makers.

Birds: here
Lion: here
Dinosaur: here

Also, omegerd that ellek! I love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
You may remember my ~beautiful spider son~ who won a round of OpenSquish last year -

(still in prototype limbo due to tiedye fabric shortage, apparently. I have been told either they'll solve this or make him with solid spots)

Well, I've got a new design in the current round which has been yoyo-ing between a winning score and a not winning score! This is greatly complicated by the fact that the score requirement has been increased to 4.15, meaning any votes besides 5 only serve to dunk the average and are just deliberate dream-killers.

Please take a look at my nautilus and give him a 5 if you agree that he's cute and good and deserves to exist in this world! I even wrote a stupid poem for his description, which I am proud of.

• Locked thread