Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Should we be subtly working Athena into this ritual (in the abstract / Omnisiaah context), or would that be getting ahead of ourselves?

We are already encouraging people to become servitors and arcoflaggelants, so highlighting the cybernetics aspect could be good in a general sense, but it definitely shouldn't distract from the ceremony.

Maybe we should emphasize that Fabiyan is being healed, in part, by the mechanical apparatus surrounding him (in a holy, non-medical way)

Edit:

Tomn posted:

"So, hey, Fab, a couple hundred/thousand people got themselves killed in various forms of religious ecstasy to celebrate your imminent resurrection wherein they believe that you will lead them to glory, victory, and safety over a strategic situation you don't actually know that much about. That's...KIND of like a wedding gift, right?"

More like honeymoon at this point.

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
"So, hey, Fab, a couple hundred/thousand people got themselves killed in various forms of religious ecstasy to celebrate your imminent resurrection wherein they believe that you will lead them to glory, victory, and safety over a strategic situation you don't actually know that much about. That's...KIND of like a wedding gift, right?"

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

He's a commissar. He has, literally, been trained from his childhood to serve the Imperium, inspire lesser men, and instill discipline. This won't bother him at all. He might actually be impressed.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Relevant:

The First Book of Indoctrinations posted:

To be Unclean
That is the mark of the Mutant

To be Impure

To be Abhorred

To be Reviled

To be Hunted
That is the fate of the Mutant

To be Purged
That is the fate of the Mutant

To be Cleansed
That is the fate of all Mutants

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

wiegieman posted:

He's a commissar. He has, literally, been trained from his childhood to serve the Imperium, inspire lesser men, and instill discipline. This won't bother him at all. He might actually be impressed.

This is the same guy who forced Kriegers to "party" at a bar.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Speaking of mutants, the Kreig habit of being constantly covered always, while tactically sound, could potentially cover things up things best exposed as early as possible. We should implement periodic, well scheduled inspections (if they don't already).

A problem for later, though.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
This is how literal Living Saints are made, you realize that right? The faith of millions can spread to billions, and that affects the Warp. Living Saints get their power through that faith, tapping the Warp without having to be a psyker.

What I'm saying is let's not be surprised if husbando suddenly sprouts wings.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Haystack posted:

Speaking of mutants, the Kreig habit of being constantly covered always, while tactically sound, could potentially cover things up things best exposed as early as possible. We should implement periodic, well scheduled inspections (if they don't already).

A problem for later, though.
Considering the way Kriegers are (probably) made I'd think it's doubtful we have to worry about mutants from them. Not impossible, mind, but... doubtful.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Ohone and Fabiyan, hand in hand, flying with Maglev Grace and wings of faith in the spaces of Between.

I could get behind that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Tomn posted:

Ohone and Fabiyan, hand in hand, flying with Maglev Grace and wings of faith in the spaces of Between.

I could get behind that.
Lowell can you just give us Maglev Transcendence so that it's quasi-useful for us, even with the jump-pack? The jump-pack lets us fly, Maglev Transcendence lets us hover at running speed, which also has its uses.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

Deadmeat5150 posted:

This is how literal Living Saints are made, you realize that right? The faith of millions can spread to billions, and that affects the Warp. Living Saints get their power through that faith, tapping the Warp without having to be a psyker.

That would be neat, but I just read that living saints are always female (and short lived unfortunately).

... How does the empire feel about gay marriage?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Walrusmaster posted:

That would be neat, but I just read that living saints are always female (and short lived unfortunately).

Sebastian Thor probably counts as a male living saint. It's a fitting comparison to draw considering our Inquisitorial affinities.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Tomn posted:

I could get behind that.

spoilers gosh

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

A living saint also needs the kind of personal faith that

a)borders on insanity
b)lets you occasionally turn your bullets into cleansing light and heal with the laying of hands

even before you died the first time.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

wiegieman posted:

A living saint also needs the kind of personal faith that

a)borders on insanity
b)lets you occasionally turn your bullets into cleansing light and heal with the laying of hands

even before you died the first time.

Well he's a Commissar, so point 1 is a given. Point 2...well, we can work around it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

When we get to Titan I'd like to try and acquire the uncensored memoirs of Ciaphas Cain, with the intention of using his famed wealth of experience against the Xeno and Daemon as an academic resource for our coming crusade.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Walrusmaster posted:

Living Saints don't have to be female (Saint Drusus was male, and was resurrected much like Fabiyan), they're just more common because the Adepta Sororitas are where a majority of the living saints spawn from since their whole thing is all about producing soldiers that are basically saints-lite themself.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Saint Drusus was a daemonhost summoned into the original guy by a cabal of radical inquisitors because he was just that incompetent.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
And Saint Fabiyan is a xeno-made ghost summoned into an artificial body by a radical inquisitor. I don't see the problem.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

wiegieman posted:

Saint Drusus was a daemonhost summoned into the original guy by a cabal of radical inquisitors because he was just that incompetent.

On a side note, can we all just appreciate how impressive it is that a bunch of Recongregators playing around with demons managed to actually get a successful holy crusade out of whatever horrific bargain they made? Compared to the usual inquisitorial incompetence, these guys were the radical A-team.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

wiegieman posted:

Source on this? Everything I've read suggests Drusus was slain by an assassin, but protected/reborn through overwhelming faith.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Cool as always.

Does cramming two souls in one soulstone merge them? Does that make Fabian and Ohone linked, one soul in two bodies? Is that why you hit it off so well, you're literally soulmates, because your future self ended up jamming both of your souls together?

What would have happened if we had saved the rest of our retinue? All skills in one body, plus a whole lot of Insanity Points?
Instead the cult Saint Faybian, we'd drop the Athena bit for a cult of true human unity and lots of Tang?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

sniper4625 posted:

Source on this? Everything I've read suggests Drusus was slain by an assassin, but protected/reborn through overwhelming faith.

Apostasy Gambit, it's a dark heresy premade. You end up punching him out.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

wiegieman posted:

Apostasy Gambit, it's a dark heresy premade. You end up punching him out.

Huh, lame.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

sniper4625 posted:

Huh, lame.

Well you enter the deepest parts of the Maze of Tzeentch and engage in an epic battle with the Dei-Phage, but yeah. It's still a DH fight.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

music is amerika by rammstien

pyre

The resurrection was nearly complete. The body, with grown skin and growing hair, was passed around within its pod across the length of the pilgrimage/train line, even as the festival atmosphere only increased. In the tradition of the religious customs, they had gone through the various emotions of a life; loss, rage, and were now entering happiness and hope. The food stores were completely opened, and the pilgrims gorged themselves.

In the Shrine of Martyrs, the resting place of the Saint’s companions, the eternal fires were lit for the first time, and their flames spread to a hundred thousand candles. The entire ship was awake with Faith, looking into the fires, seeing the Saint, and preparing themselves for the holy war ahead. Effigies were made of the xeno (well, what people thought the xeno looked like), and were burned.

It was the last day on earth. It was the first day of the new flesh.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Rockopolis posted:

Cool as always.

Does cramming two souls in one soulstone merge them? Does that make Fabian and Ohone linked, one soul in two bodies? Is that why you hit it off so well, you're literally soulmates, because your future self ended up jamming both of your souls together?

What would have happened if we had saved the rest of our retinue? All skills in one body, plus a whole lot of Insanity Points?
Instead the cult Saint Faybian, we'd drop the Athena bit for a cult of true human unity and lots of Tang?

No, because there's still the Eldar in there too.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

rest

“This is the big day, huh?”
“Yeah. We’ve got ’em all riled up.
“The usual things I expect. Mess with their food, their sleep, throw some imagery on it.”
“Yup.”
“So I guess I’m going to be a living saint now.”
“Looks like.”
He looked curiously at you. “What’s the new place look like?”
“Your body?” You showed him an image. He jerked back.
“Blessed God-Emperor, what is that??”
“Your new body. Stop complaining, most people only get one.”
“Says the Tech-Priest. Who survived a fusion bomb. You at least look like yourself.”
“Most people would die for this kind of body.”
“Ha bloody ha. It has abs. And hair. I look like I stepped out of a recruiting poster!"
“You look fine, Fabiyan.”
"Do you know how much gas masks suck with that much hair?"
"You look fine."
“I’m scowling right now, you have no idea. The point is that I look fine. I spent decades making sure I got to sit in nice safe bunkers and order SLUDGE bombings.”
“Liar. I’ve read your records.”
“They switched the records with someone else, I am certain.”
“Uh huh. Singlehandedly held a strong point on Golmog V? 90% casualties?”
“Definitely someone else.”
You twined your fingers together. He looked away. “Do we know what we’re facing?”
“Xenos. Some super psyker invisible version. I’ve got the psykers fighting them.”
“Everyone ready?”
“Near enough. I used the last of our tranquilizers on the combat troops. They should be waking up soon. I wanted them rested.”
“And at some point during the battle…”
“I wake you up, you say something heroic, and off we go.”
“Yeah. I’m sure it’ll go that smooth.”
Your eyes met again. “Be careful out there Ohone.”
“I will.”

Loel fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 19, 2015

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
He is definitely a Saint for his sense of humor, which is miraculous given the circumstance. I have a feeling that is a miracle that will be overlooked.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

We talked about the blank in IRC some, and I have a humble suggestion. Rather than turning the blank into a servitor, which may turn them into a non-blank and would be pretty cruel to do to a random dude anyway, why don't we instead put him in a giant remote controlled hamster ball? We can armor it and put sweet wards and poo poo on it, really turn it into the Holiest looking sphere that crushes daemons and psykers in His Name. We could even get a sweet codename for it too! Also, we keep it remote controlled to ensure the blank does what we need and nothing more; no sudden turning the ball of doom towards us, nope. That poo poo gets put in a Kriegers hands or, alternatively we use one of our Mastermind slots for it.

edit: We can also attach spikes and flamers on it too, and get the entire shebang sanctified.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 19, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

SerSpook posted:

We talked about the blank in IRC some, and I have a humble suggestion. Rather than turning the blank into a servitor, which may turn them into a non-blank and would be pretty cruel to do to a random dude anyway, why don't we instead put him in a giant remote controlled hamster ball? We can armor it and put sweet wards and poo poo on it, really turn it into the Holiest looking sphere that crushes daemons and psykers in His Name. We could even get a sweet codename for it too! Also, we keep it remote controlled to ensure the blank does what we need and nothing more; no sudden turning the ball of doom towards us, nope. That poo poo gets put in a Kriegers hands or, alternatively we use one of our Mastermind slots for it.

:psyduck:

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

It is a good idea.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Me: The ship is dying. Its forming a nihilistic ressurectionist cult. You have just said your goodbyes to the husband you brought back from the dead.
Thread: ...
Thread: Lets build a giant hamsterball and roll around in it.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

LowellDND posted:

Me: The ship is dying. Its forming a nihilistic ressurectionist cult. You have just said your goodbyes to the husband you brought back from the dead.
Thread: ...
Thread: Lets build a giant hamsterball and roll around in it.

We won't be rolling around in it.

The blank will be.

We will just control it with our mind.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Basically stick the blank in something--- some armor, a hamster ball, whatever--- and use him as a shock troop against psykers. Keep him away from the regular troops otherwise. And, I dunno, he's a horrible rear end in a top hat obviously, it sucks to just be around him, but he hasn't visibly done anything heretical, so... give him the chance to live a normal life on off hours? For the given value of normal of course.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I support Plan Hamster. But after the xenos issue is dealt with.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
What if we do the Blank like a brain box, but this box is an impenetrable sphere with mag lev engines in it. Like this?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Arkanomen posted:

What if we do the Blank like a brain box, but this box is an impenetrable sphere with mag lev engines in it. Like this?

Appropriately metal.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Give him some implants so his body can directly wire into, say, a Rapier Heavy Bolter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Dreams

Praise the Omnissiah and pass the ammunition, as they say. With a shriek of tortured binary, your internal machinery still disoriented by the sheet wrongness of the Thing before you, you give the order to launch your servitors before you. They weren’t combat servitors by any means, lacking the programs and weapons of those fine machines, but they might do well as a delaying measure. In the same breath, you alert your Lord Sire. “Wardens moving to contact with warp incursion. I am pursuing xeno to nutrient vats.”

With a clump of heavy feet, the servitors shuffled their way towards the altercation. With inhuman strength, they tear bars away from the walkway, raising blunt and jagged objects of violence towards the Great Enemy. Their golden eyes and buzzing voices rose hauntingly as they sang their death dirges - perhaps some remnant of sentience remaining in their cauterized brains. Briefly, you remember who they were in life. Pilgrims, come to this place between the stars. Devoted to fighting the Heretek of the Iron Men, they died under the blades of the recycling tanks. And now they were going to die again, perhaps their final death.

The daemon was already a blur, outlined in the horrific fires of the Grey Guards’ immolators. You can see its form shrieking in the heat, skin melting away so beautifully. You are dazzled by the purity of it, the sheer sensations it must be feeling at the moment, and then you shake your head forcefully. Best to be on your way. Let the Wardens weaken it a bit further, hold it in place for the Lord-Sire to destroy it. For that matter, you needed to see what the xeno had done here, in this place.

The nutrient vats and recycling tanks were among the holiest of places aboard ship, a sanctum of technology most sacred. That didn’t mean, however, that five millennia or more hadn’t taken their toll on the place. There were metals here from planets that no longer had names, pumps and dials that had only the most arcane meaning, even to the wisest. While the principles of hydraulics might be known to the Tech-Priests, the idiosyncrasies of this Machine-Spirit could still be … temperamental.

Above the vats, a thousand pipes of varying sizes. A strange ecosystem lived there, creatures that had never really been investigated. Glow-cats and their prey - glow-cats and their predators. Flours hissed at them, ears flared, fur raised. You could see their shadows flitting about, ignoring the fight below them, as they ignored all things. Strange creatures flapped or soared or fell, proto-wings working frantically. The chirping of their lives was almost louder than the machinery, now that you were up here.

The walkways themselves were a mess. Originally installed with the vats, they had suffered a thousand battles, been replaced, worn out, decayed, shifted, or ad-hocced into permanent solutions, a contradictory labyrinth that changed elevations and turned in itself. The walkways passed through rusting and decrepit vats, rose into the pipes where creatures sang hauntingly, and back down again into useful sniper’s nests. You could see the battle still occurring intermittently from there, flashes of light and the occasional explosion. Noises echoed eerily here - the buzzing of power swords and hymns to the God-Emperor turning into a strange and unexpected music.

Seemingly out of nowhere, a gap in the machinery. In its center, the nutrient mixing vat, a massive device that processed tens of thousands of liters at a time. It turned the most base components and chemicals into a product that was only slightly less base, only barely interested in things such as ‘taste’. Instead, it was a simple compound of proteins that would keep a Dreg alive for their labors, even though they probably didn’t want to be after eating it. You could see the individual vats above it, pouring sickly. Ancient paint on them, in a language you barely recognized, labeled them ‘fat’, ‘sucralose’, ‘protein’, and others you were less able to identify.

The center stem was a large spinning device, blunt blades the sizes of a train carriage. It idly whirred through the lake of materials, the sound of spinning liquids deafening this close. As your squad spread out behind pipes to observe, you noticed an outlier in the frame of the mixer. Some sort of cocoon, made of paraffin and honey. It appeared to be open, leaking, perhaps damaged in some way. The material floated down, lazily swirling through the lake.

You remember this place, don’t you Ohone
You glanced over. Fabiyan was leaning on the railing, his back to the vat. Something in his features, though…
“Abraxus.”
Fabiyan’s eyes glowed gold. Yes
“You aren’t my husband. And this is a dream.”
Yes to the second, no to the first. You’ve done quite well for yourself, Ohone. You can see why something like myself might find perfection in you.
“Everything I’ve done has been with the Omnissiah’s blessing.”
A blessing, certainly, but his? Don’t be so sure.
“I have Faith.”
Ah, the little cult you’ve amassed for yourself. Charming, I’m sure.
“They’ll kill daemons just as well as xeno, Abraxus.”
Certainly, which is to say not at all. I did offer to tell you what you were fighting, all those years ago.
“Daemons lie.”
And sometimes we tell the truth. I saw you met dear Anastatia, how was that?
“As profane as you.”
You are too kind. Please, I’ve made you a present.
The bodies of the friends you had gotten killed walked up the rampway, stared at you with golden eyes. Abraxus smiled at you, and then gestured, directing them as if they were in a play. All spoke as one, a hideous cacophony that reminded you frighteningly of Mother.

quote:

Lost souls of friends live on within our heads,
No feeling left, just dreams we lock away.
And us? We’re puppets dancing, hope and dread,
While songs of bloodshed drag us on each day.
You hum your hymns of battle, tense and hot;
I feed on feast’s-end groans and lovers’ moans
Amidst the crumbling titans you have wrought
In axioms of anarchy unknown.
There’s no need now to purge your thoughts of lust,
Or loathe the love that else might make us real.
Your effervescent, searing sign of trust
Turned malcontented mark of what you feel.
Our masks reveal our need to be divine,
But with hope lost, the world mocks our design.

As they smiled at you with jagged teeth, you awoke with a start.

-

I don’t know poetry, but it was a reader submission and seemed appropriate. So here you are.