Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

New Giorgio Moroder album is incredible. Lots of different hotness on it (Sia, Charli XCX, Kylie, Foxes) and he creates a song that fits their style perfectly. If you even have a passing interest in Moroder, it's a must listen. If you didn't like his match up with Britney for a remake of Tom's Diner, it's the weakest song on the album so don't worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

RevKrule posted:

New Giorgio Moroder album is incredible. Lots of different hotness on it (Sia, Charli XCX, Kylie, Foxes) and he creates a song that fits their style perfectly. If you even have a passing interest in Moroder, it's a must listen. If you didn't like his match up with Britney for a remake of Tom's Diner, it's the weakest song on the album so don't worry.

Love Deja Vu and the Kylie song but Diamonds isn't doing anything for me. Not a bad album overall.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

RevKrule posted:

It really is amazing. I love the Mikky Ekko, Foxes, and Sia songs - I really don't think there's a weak link on the album. I love the Britney collab but maybe it's because it came out at around the same time as Pretty Girls and anything would sound like a masterpiece compared to that.

edit: oh wow Pitchfork really really disagrees:

quote:

For the most part, Déjà Vu is rickety and wholly unnecessary, and Moroder's return feels like Rick Barry coming out of retirement to suit up for the Golden State Warriors

quote:

his skills are otherwise in such precipitous decline it's almost agonizing to witness.

quote:

From Britney and Kelis to Kylie and Sia, Déjà Vu boasts a pantheon of pop goddesses, but Moroder only gives them bland boutique hotel electronic music to work with. The album oddly posits a parallel world where these singers are out of work, forgotten pop stars lending their voices to generic EDM tracks just to keep the lights on. If not for their presence on Déjà Vu, Moroder's once-unmistakable music would be all but anonymous.

I think this guy bought the wrong album.

PUGGERNAUT fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 18, 2015

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I use to follow Pitchforks views, but it feels like there are a handful of artists that can do no wrong in their eye, while everything else is under a micro scope.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Deja Vu does have hints of Together in Electric Dreams at times to me so I can see how they say it sounds like classic Moroder.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 19, 2015

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyg7mg-ac8U
Miguel covered a song by a punk band and made it silky smooth. Song starts at 1:05.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyg7mg-ac8U
Miguel covered a song by a punk band and made it silky smooth. Song starts at 1:05.

God drat I love Miguel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpxbYH22DNY

PUGGERNAUT fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 19, 2015

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Slandible posted:

I use to follow Pitchforks views, but it feels like there are a handful of artists that can do no wrong in their eye, while everything else is under a micro scope.

Ever since they pointed out that you can hear the Get Lucky riff in almost every track, I can't unhear it.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
So they discovered how Disco music works? Those are some drat fine investigative journalists over at Pitchfork!

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

New Janet Jackson single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_2_VgUdeq4

I like it.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Is this really the single or just some kind of teaser? I don't know many things, but I know that a "standard" slow jam like this will do nothing for her commercially in Europe.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

DominoDancing posted:

Is this really the single or just some kind of teaser? I don't know many things, but I know that a "standard" slow jam like this will do nothing for her commercially in Europe.

It's the real deal. It's not bad but it's not something you put on single track repeat for an hour, is it?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Oh my god Erik Hassle is opening for Tove Lo on tour. I need to be there.

Scarred Heart
Jun 22, 2015

by Ralp
Carly Rae Jespen's album leaked and it's loving incredible. I feel like an rear end for writing her off now. If you like cheesy 80's R&B/Pop this is the album for you.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Oh my god Erik Hassle is opening for Tove Lo on tour. I need to be there.

I for one welcome our new Swedish Pop overlords.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Saw Taylor Swift tonight. Maybe the best gig I've ever been too. SO GOOD.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Scarred Heart posted:

Carly Rae Jespen's album leaked and it's loving incredible. I feel like an rear end for writing her off now. If you like cheesy 80's R&B/Pop this is the album for you.

I didn't think she could top Kiss but she totally did. It's magical.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Saw Taylor Swift tonight. Maybe the best gig I've ever been too. SO GOOD.

I went to one of her RED shows and found it pretty lacklustre. What I've seen from the photos of the 1989 show looks incredible though, and it makes me want to see her again - but I just can't justify spending the money on her two tours in a row. Definitely a fan, but not that much.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah, now that we're 8 months on from 1989, it's a bit more obvious that it's a very up and down album, but the highs are so loving high (Style, New Romantics, Shake It Off, Wildest Dreams) it's still listenable.

That said, my initial reaction to this action Jepson's album is that it's a lot more cohesive and the sound is consistent. And also amazing and 80's as poo poo. It starts off with a Hall & Oates worthy sax line, and goes from there.

edit:

Slandible posted:

I for one welcome our new Swedish Pop overlords.

Swedes have made the best pop music since ABBA, ain't no "new" about it.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
The only song I don't like on the new CRJ is "LA Hallucinations", which is pretty bunk. The rest is extremely solid. Definite pop album of the year, so far.

"Boy Problems" is the best thing to come out of Daft Punk's recent extreme popularity. Sounds like something they coulda put on Discovery or Homework.
"Gimme Love" should be the next single. Instantly catchy, has the right amount of longing to make it a perfect song to play at like weddings and such. Such a nostalgic feeling when hearing that song, even though it's brand new. Great stuff.

TheIndividual fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 25, 2015

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

The chorus on Making The Most Of The Night is mind blowing. So simple but so catchy.

It's an amazingly produced album with deceptively simple, clever lyrics. I am in full Carly Rae Jepstan mode and I don't even care.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Yeah the CRJ album is stunning. Amazed by how consistent it is for a 17 track monster. Seriously, wow.

I hope it gets the attention it deserves. 1989 has some massive songs but wasn't great as an album imo. I'm sure I'll start cherry picking tracks from Emotion eventually, but it's a great listen all the way through as well.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I haven't heard it yet, but do they really have to keep the album 3 months away in the UK?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Athletic Footjob posted:

I haven't heard it yet, but do they really have to keep the album 3 months away in the UK?

The release schedule is all kinds of hosed up. Out in Japan, August for US, September for EU/UK. It's like they want people to pirate it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, I basically spent the entire weekend listening to nothing but this album, so I have some more definitive thoughts than "oh snap this poo poo is dope".

I'd say the absolute peaks of the album are Your Type, which is a really Robyn-esque song that does the "Big Epic Chorus" thing as well as anything else I've heard, and Gimme Love, which grows on me every time I listen to it. Really Like You is still really catchy, and Run Away With You starts the album with a nice kick. All That and When I Needed Someone sound like songs that would fit right in on a John Hughes soundtrack (during the prom scene and end of the movie, respectively), and Boy Problems and Warm Blood are the most out-there sounding while still being listenable.

On the flip side, LA Hallucinations is terrible (whoever OKed that lyric about Buzzfeed and TMZ should be shot), and the rest are alright, but pretty skippable in the long run. Bonus track-wise, there's nothing quite on the level of New Romantics as a "how is this not a single/on the album" cut, but I really love Never Get to Hold You.

Overall, I think more songs from this album are going to enter my regular rotation than from 1989, and it will be a shame if Run Away with You doesn't make it onto the radio, because it's probably the most suited for radio play, and I'd love to see people pick up this album. Gimme Love could also raise some eyebrows, but I feel like if people didn't get Dancing on My Own on the charts, the best song (Your Type) probably won't either.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hahaha I just randomly wandered into this thread and thought gently caress it I'll check the CRJ album out why not and WOW this is fantastic

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

The best songs: Run Away With Me, Making The Most Of The Night, Love Again

It's hard to say a "worst" song because they're all very very good. Warm Blood hasn't quite clicked with me yet, but I'm sure it will eventually. I may have overplayed I Really Like You but it's still very catchy.

I can't wait to buy this and leave it in my car CD player forever. Leaning towards splurging on this bundle because that pink and blue lithograph is gorgeous.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I never liked Carly Rae Jepsen's previous stuff, but E·MO·TION is a really great album.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Best songs:
Run Away With Me
Gimmie Love
Your Style
I Didn't Just Come Here To Dance

But I reckon overall it's a lot more even than 1989 still.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
Bests:
Never Get To Hold You
When I Needed You
Your Type
Boy Problems
Run Away With Me

Had to stop myself at five. Gimmie Love, Warm Blood, and I Didn't Just Come Here to Dance are all strong contenders. Only songs I tend to skip are All That, Really Like You (because I overplayed those when they were singles), and LA Hallucinations because it's awful.

Edit: "Warm Blood" is top 5... I'm not totally sure what it should replace, but damnit this song is good. "Never Get To Hold You" has this awesome Boards of Canada sounding intro... this album is far better than 1989, and I loved that album. I can't stop listening to this one, and it pains me that I can't post on facebook about it for fear of embarrassment, since I've been a dang indie kid for so long.

TheIndividual fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 2, 2015

troll for dollars
Jan 10, 2005
Personal Bias: I really dislike "Call Me Maybe."

Best Songs: Run Away With Me, I Really Like You, Let's Get Lost, Never Get to hold You, Favorite Color

While I think the highs of 1989 are higher, Emotion is a better complete listen. Really looking forward to the eventual tour.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

So I have to say, as much as I dislike Rhianna the video for "Bitch Better Have My Money" is incredible(in the most ridiculous way possible) and actually made me enjoy the song.

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011
Just spent way too long trying to figure out how to buy the mp3 album of Emotion from Amazon JP. Got there in the end, but bloody hell it should not be that difficult to buy content legitimately. Why are staggered global releases still a thing?

Let's hope it's worth it!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Holy crap you all weren't kidding about Carly Rae Jepsen's album. It's freaking Incredible.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

londonmoose posted:

Just spent way too long trying to figure out how to buy the mp3 album of Emotion from Amazon JP. Got there in the end, but bloody hell it should not be that difficult to buy content legitimately. Why are staggered global releases still a thing?

Let's hope it's worth it!

The real question is why paying for MP3s is still a thing, and often the only option. It blows my mind actually.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm kinda disappointed that the new Selena Gomez and Demi Lovato songs are so disappointing. I've loved stuff both of them have put out in the past, but Cool for the Summer and Good for You are kinda meh. There still hasn't really been a "Song of the Summer" like Fancy or All About That Bass were last year (See You Again is p bad), but I kinda hope I Can't Feel My Face ends up taking that title, because holy loving poo poo that loving song sounds like something Michael Jackson could have put out if he were still alive. Actually, that's the third time I've thought that about a single this year, after Jason DeRulo and a song that I can't loving remember and it bugs me because it was by a singer that I remembered and had a couple singles a few years ago but my loving brain doesn't remember who it was (not Ne-Yo).

Edit: MOTHERFUCKING TAIO CRUZ That's who it was. Do What You Like is a little more Prince than MJ, but it's still a really dope throwback that should have been a little bigger.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 8, 2015

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The chorus of Good For You is irritatingly sexist. And overall it just seems like a very typical "look! i'm sexy now!" track.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

The opening track to the Years & Years album is crushing, Jesus Christ. I need to put on some Morrissey or something to cheer up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

Actually, that's the third time I've thought that about a single this year, after Jason DeRulo and a song that I can't loving remember and it bugs me because it was by a singer that I remembered and had a couple singles a few years ago but my loving brain doesn't remember who it was (not Ne-Yo).

Edit: MOTHERFUCKING TAIO CRUZ That's who it was. Do What You Like is a little more Prince than MJ, but it's still a really dope throwback that should have been a little bigger.

I would have guessed Fun by Pitbull and Chris Brown. It reminds me of Wanna Be Starting Something.