Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I've seen way more bondage/BDSM gear than fursuits. The one fursuit I did find though was a T-Rex one.

'What sort of giant manbaby still wears a t-rex suit?' I thought as I Judo-threw a Brute out a window into the sights of my deathmobile's three .50 cal turrets.

On another note, anyone know what a Vortex Stone does? Found a mine, descended it, killed a bunch of snails at the bottom and picked one up in the spiral cave at the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

dylguy90 posted:

Ugh.

Finally got a really bad day character healed, kitted out in basic leather + trenchcoat, basic skills, food stockpile in a shelter, the works.

See a survivor with a 9mm, he turns hostile but keeps shooting zombies. I pop an adderall and run up to him. Feeling confident with 130 speed and my cudgel. Get 1 tile away and he shoots me once in the chest, instakilling me.

Ughhhhhhhh

Ha, that's why I don't use NPCs.

In other news, I've encountered what I think is a lab ending, and I got a few sweet bionics after a tense encounter with some security bots.

Trouble is, the stairs seem to have disappeared. I've checked everywhere, and I can't find any. Is there any way I can get out (even if it's through wizard/god mode)?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Go into the ? menu, find the key list, bind the cheat menu to something, and build stairs/port yourself up a level. It's possible that you missed the 'there's no stairs back up, jump down (Y/n)?' prompt.

EponymousMrYar posted:

I've seen way more bondage/BDSM gear than fursuits. The one fursuit I did find though was a T-Rex one.

'What sort of giant manbaby still wears a t-rex suit?' I thought as I Judo-threw a Brute out a window into the sights of my deathmobile's three .50 cal turrets.

On another note, anyone know what a Vortex Stone does? Found a mine, descended it, killed a bunch of snails at the bottom and picked one up in the spiral cave at the bottom.

They summon a vortex. If you have the vehicle additions mod up to date (Latest experimental builds do.) then you can make a sweet engine that runs off the vortex spirit trapped inside.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

My first encounter with an NPC didn't go well. I didn't even know they existed. I had started in an LMOE that had a shotgun, rucksack, and even a wearable canteen. I scoot over to the nearby mansion and shotgun my way through it, donning a suit of fitted platemail and strapping on a scabbarded broadsword in the process. By the time I was done looting the place I was out of shells and had carved through about two dozen including boomers with the broadsword. I eat and drink from the mansion's kitchens and minibars. I treat my wounds before setting out for a nearby cabin.

It was on the way to the cabin that I encountered Shia Lebouf standing over the corpses of a pack of wolves and a moose, knife in hand. I don't think the apocalypse has been kind to the poor fellow. He...well he's had to do some...things to survive. I know this because just as it sank in that he'd stabbed four wolves and a moose to death that he showed me how he's survived. As he skillfully stabbed me through the platemail I had come to love, he shushed in my ear and told me it would be over soon. I looked at him closer in between him repeatedly stabbing me and read that he is a cannibal.

So if you run across the kid from the Transformers movies out there, consider leaving him alone and in peace. If you don't he'll stab you to death while whispering creepy poo poo in your ear. Then he'll eat you. Honestly I pity him. That poor kid used to hang out with Optimus Prime and now he's eating people.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

dylguy90 posted:

Ugh.

Finally got a really bad day character healed, kitted out in basic leather + trenchcoat, basic skills, food stockpile in a shelter, the works.

See a survivor with a 9mm, he turns hostile but keeps shooting zombies. I pop an adderall and run up to him. Feeling confident with 130 speed and my cudgel. Get 1 tile away and he shoots me once in the chest, instakilling me.

Ughhhhhhhh

If only you had a fortified fursuit protecting your entire body from harm.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
There should totally be a "survivor fursuit" that has all the stats of a normal survivor suit but also makes all NPCs hate you/turn hostile on sight.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0u4M6vppCI

e2: On a completely unrelated note: Who was the genius who decided to put the recipes for arrowheads and the recipes for actual arrowhead-using arrows in different books?

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 19, 2015

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

On my most successful character so far now. Almost one year in, good weapons, good armor, a massive stash of crafting materials at the base, been reading tons of skill books and can craft almost anything, good stats with lots of CBMs, and the coolest thing I've made in the game so far- 850 power storage, plus metabolic interchange, hooked up to the UPS CBM that lets you power UPS devices off your internal power, plus a UPS converter that lets any regular device use UPS, and I have...... an infinitely charged MP3 player. Infinite focus and morale for as long as I eat food.

My question, though, is that I need an infinite source of rocks. I'm using a pneumatic assault rifle, and just clearing out a street takes 200-300 pebbles. I'm hoovering up rocks as fast as I can shoot. I have fears that in a few ingame months, I will have depleted every rock surrounding my base. Where can I go for rocks? Is it possible to mine underground for them?

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

You should be able use metal to make bearings that work in the pneumatic assault rifle, and they're even better than pebbles in both weight and damage.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Does the marksmanship skill train whenever you fire a weapon/train another firearms skill? So if I were to fire my turbolaser turret...?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Alternatively, if you're desperate for rocks and only and specifically rocks for whatever reason, I think you can bust down rock walls in basements and such for them. Having not tried this myself, I don't guarantee your safety nor success. Metal is certainly in no short supply if you can disassemble wrecked cars, and even if you can't zombies tend to do the work for you every now and then.

Energy weapons are probably better long-term if you can get your hands on them, though I've been using some .223-spec marksman rifle since forever and haven't had any problems with it yet.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

I am so happy to now know that this version exists.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

The LACP Laser Pistol is pretty good for training up marksmanship it seems if you've got a UPS CBM. It's because it doesn't use ammo, and is pretty lovely at doing damage. Oh well. Better than wasting my NATO 5.56 rounds.

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Alternatively, if you're desperate for rocks and only and specifically rocks for whatever reason, I think you can bust down rock walls in basements and such for them. Having not tried this myself, I don't guarantee your safety nor success.

I've done this, get yourself a jackhammer and go wild on the walls. They'll not only drop rocks but also limestone as well sometimes, so if you're looking to build yourself a concrete bunker from scratch, then this is the most reliable and probably quickest way to do so

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Alternatively, if you're desperate for rocks and only and specifically rocks for whatever reason, I think you can bust down rock walls in basements and such for them. Having not tried this myself, I don't guarantee your safety nor success. Metal is certainly in no short supply if you can disassemble wrecked cars, and even if you can't zombies tend to do the work for you every now and then.

Energy weapons are probably better long-term if you can get your hands on them, though I've been using some .223-spec marksman rifle since forever and haven't had any problems with it yet.

You can smash cars apart just like zombies. In fact the armor on my current ride is mostly made of a pick-up truck I beat the hell out of with a 2x4.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yes, but that's so much time and effort. Shouldn't the unwashed undead masses be doing these trivial tasks for us?

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

rhoga posted:

You should be able use metal to make bearings that work in the pneumatic assault rifle, and they're even better than pebbles in both weight and damage.

VStraken posted:

I've done this, get yourself a jackhammer and go wild on the walls. They'll not only drop rocks but also limestone as well sometimes, so if you're looking to build yourself a concrete bunker from scratch, then this is the most reliable and probably quickest way to do so

Perfect. Thanks guys. I don't have a metalworking setup yet but I will be able to make it with all the scrap material I have lying around, and it's good to know I can start chipping away at basements if I get desperate.

edit: I can make an electric jackhammer and power it off my internal UPS. Now we're talking.

Bilal fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 19, 2015

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

You can make bearings out of softer metals (bismuth, tin, silver, gold) or solder. They have 3 times the punch of pebbles.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Anyone who's been playing experimental have an opinion / advice re: the encumbrance changes, other than the obvious one of "this loving sucks"? It messes around with early game clothing choices enough that I no longer really know what I should be looking out for, cargo pants and hoodies no longer seem like such a great deal.

For those who haven't tried it basically the bonus for fitting gear no longer floors at 10 so the end result is greater encumbrance on clothing with base encumbrance <20.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Is the Mr. Stem Cell machine supposed to inject my eyeballs with pureed bone and LSD? Or did I fail to bypass security? Because OWWWW.

And why LSD??

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
God dammit. I stopped playing for a couple of days and when I went back I had lost track of my deathwagon and had to spend a half hour to find the damned thing. Is there anyway I can keep track of where I've left it?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
You could open up your 'm'ap and leave a 'N'ote to tell you where it is; my maps are covered in notes to help me keep track of scavenging sites, things of interest, poo poo I've already done, and yes, where I've parked. It's a God-send when you have no sense of direction.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You can also install a tracking beacon and carry a PDA, then your vehicle will always appear on your map.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
With static spawns set to true and wandering spawns enabled are the hoardes finite or is it effectively setting static to false and spawns infinite zombies?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Static spawns means the world will start pre-generated with a selection of zombies. Wandering spawns will guarantee that there are hidden spawn points that track by noise/smell too maybe?? and periodically pop out zombies. It just adds to the mix.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

RabidWeasel posted:

Anyone who's been playing experimental have an opinion / advice re: the encumbrance changes, other than the obvious one of "this loving sucks"? It messes around with early game clothing choices enough that I no longer really know what I should be looking out for, cargo pants and hoodies no longer seem like such a great deal.

For those who haven't tried it basically the bonus for fitting gear no longer floors at 10 so the end result is greater encumbrance on clothing with base encumbrance <20.

To me it seems like it exists just to gently caress over starting characters. Finding clothes with volume early on is already sorta lovely and this means you need to get even more encumbered to bring back a fuckin' gallon jug or a decent haul of food.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Is training up handguns and guns in general just a case of hitting with weapons that have low weapon+ammo dispersion?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I'm not sure you even have to hit anything. I was gaining experience in Marksmanship just by going around blowing walls open with my explosion laser.

You definitely need to minimize dispersion though, yes. What a pointlessly finicky, annoying mechanic to gate skill progression behind.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

At least you got killed by Indiana Jones.

No he didn't, because he removed fedoras from the game.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Grimman007 posted:

How do I navigate the bionics menu? I know I saw it somewhere before, but for the life of me I can't remember it...

Tab switches between the menu pages.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I think I've hit upon one of the easiest (if heavily RNG dependent) ways of making it through a Really Bad Day start: find a pair of rollerblades. Probably won't work for the Tweaker start, but as a Shower Victim even in your hung-over and infected state the rollerblades make it impossible for zombies to catch up to you on pavement. :byewhore:

On this same character I deliberately savescummed going into an Evac Shelter basement because it gave me the "considerable amount of heat" warning, which I'd never seen before. When I went downstairs I immediately fell into lava :v: Is it possible to actually survive that or are you just hosed? And if you can survive it, is there loot down there?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tarezax posted:

I think I've hit upon one of the easiest (if heavily RNG dependent) ways of making it through a Really Bad Day start: find a pair of rollerblades. Probably won't work for the Tweaker start, but as a Shower Victim even in your hung-over and infected state the rollerblades make it impossible for zombies to catch up to you on pavement. :byewhore:

On this same character I deliberately savescummed going into an Evac Shelter basement because it gave me the "considerable amount of heat" warning, which I'd never seen before. When I went downstairs I immediately fell into lava :v: Is it possible to actually survive that or are you just hosed? And if you can survive it, is there loot down there?

I think that essentially means that a lava pool formed under the staircase, it's probably a generic message and as lava is lethal to items as well as people I doubt you'd find anything.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tarezax posted:

I had a character fall into lava and survive for a couple turns (I think I had the heat-resistant bionic, either that or my armor was just that good), but with no way back up it didn't take that long before I burned to death anyways.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'm not sure you even have to hit anything. I was gaining experience in Marksmanship just by going around blowing walls open with my explosion laser.

You definitely need to minimize dispersion though, yes. What a pointlessly finicky, annoying mechanic to gate skill progression behind.

Yeah I guess it's coilguns or short shotguns forever then lol

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Reloading actual gun ammunition isn't that bad if you do it in large batches.

Also just for anyone who doesn't know about this, if you press 'b' in the crafting screen you'll get the option to repeat the current recipe up to 20 times. (It doesn't work for reversible recipes for some dumbass reason, but you rarely need those in bulk anyways.)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

trying to up-armour your vehicle is a bit of a pain in the rear end when you have to craft every single steel plate individually.

Junkfist posted:

Yeah I guess it's coilguns or short shotguns forever then lol

Get really high Mechanics and build a pneumatic assault rifle, and smash a fuckload of rocks into pebbles. The thing is pretty much silent and it's deceptively accurate, so it's really good for raising Marksmanship and Rifles on the cheap. Pistol users are basically hosed though, because ~verisimilitude~

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Bilal posted:

On my most successful character so far now. Almost one year in, good weapons, good armor, a massive stash of crafting materials at the base, been reading tons of skill books and can craft almost anything, good stats with lots of CBMs, and the coolest thing I've made in the game so far- 850 power storage, plus metabolic interchange, hooked up to the UPS CBM that lets you power UPS devices off your internal power, plus a UPS converter that lets any regular device use UPS, and I have...... an infinitely charged MP3 player. Infinite focus and morale for as long as I eat food.

My question, though, is that I need an infinite source of rocks. I'm using a pneumatic assault rifle, and just clearing out a street takes 200-300 pebbles. I'm hoovering up rocks as fast as I can shoot. I have fears that in a few ingame months, I will have depleted every rock surrounding my base. Where can I go for rocks? Is it possible to mine underground for them?

Forge bearings, you make them in bulk and they take scrap metal which is easy as gently caress to get a lot off and they do more damage.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Talking of scrap metal, why can I only wear two deputy badges? I wanna be blinged out head-to-toe in badges, damnit! :mad:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Eat poo poo, cryo lab.

Switzerland posted:

Talking of scrap metal, why can I only wear two deputy badges? I wanna be blinged out head-to-toe in badges, damnit! :mad:

There's a way to get a third via questing, if you have static NPCs on and can find your way to the refugee centre. Look for the Old Guard representative and do a couple of quests for him/her. The fancy badge you can get also identifies you as a U.S. Marshal, meaning eyebots that come looking for you will immediately conclude that "the Feds have this" and leave instead of summoning more robots :haw:

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

What's making it even worse is how huge the dispersion stat is on pistols.

I mean, that's not even fuckin' realistic. Pistols should have huge sight dispersion and shorter range, yeah, but you don't need that much barrel to stabilize a 9mm or a .45.

Goddammit, my inner gunsperg is gonna make me learn how to mod yet another game, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, they don't look too complicated! Just a few differen jsons

quote:

{
"id": "m1911",
"type": "GUN",
"symbol": "(",
"color": "light_gray",
"name": "M1911",
"name_plural": "M1911",
"description": "The M1911 was the US Military standard-issue sidearm for most of the 20th Century. It remains one of the most popular .45 pistols today.",
"price": 78400, "//" : "You can get 'em for over US$1K if you want. This is a fairly cheap remake.",
"material": ["steel", "plastic"],
"skill": "pistol",
"ammo": "45",
"weight": 1105,
"volume": 2,
"bashing": 12,
"cutting": 0,
"to_hit": -2,
"ranged_damage": 6,
"dispersion": 255,
"sight_dispersion": 90,
"aim_speed" : 4,
"recoil": 130,
"durability": 7,
"clip_size": 7,
"reload": 300,
"valid_mod_locations": [[ "accessories", 2 ],[ "barrel", 1 ],[ "bore", 1 ],[ "conversion", 1 ],[ "grip", 1 ],[ "magazine", 2 ],[ "mechanism", 4 ],[ "muzzle", 1 ],[ "rail", 1 ],[ "sights", 1 ],[ "stock", 1 ],[ "underbarrel", 1 ]]
},

quote:

{ "type" : "AMMO",
"id" : "45_acp",
"price" : 2000,
"name" : ".45 ACP",
"name_plural" : ".45 ACP",
"symbol" : "=",
"color" : "yellow",
"description" : "The .45 round was one of the most popular and powerful handgun rounds through the 20th century. It features very good accuracy and stopping power, but suffers from moderate recoil and poor armor penetration.",
"material" : "steel",
"volume" : 1,
"weight" : 12,
"bashing" : 1,
"cutting" : 0,
"to_hit" : 0,
"ammo_type" : "45",
"casing" : "45_casing",
"damage" : 32,
"pierce" : 2,
"range" : 16,
"dispersion" : 180,