Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

No, he called it an "act of terror", which as we learned in 2012 is completely different!

Bernie Sanders

Wrong on Domestic Terrorism

Wrong for America

:patriot:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Unlike Hillary, who gave the shooting some serious thought, prayed about it, consulted with local community leaders and the result is let's blame Trump.

This is clearly the classier and more productive response, right guys.

all of your posts own, im glad i found someone who can make me laugh in D&D

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Joementum posted:

The difference is that, since yesterday, he has been arrested and told the police that his motive was to start a race war.

its the conservative version of all those democrats wondering if elizabeth warren is gonna run or not

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

DaveWoo posted:

I suspect most people would agree that the sort of inflammatory, xenophobic rhetoric that Trump exhibited the other day probably isn't particularly healthy for our national discourse.

Sure, I'll buy that. Unfortunately, in context she was assigning blame for killing sprees like Charleston instead of whatever reasonable thing you just wrote.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

forbidden lesbian posted:

its the conservative version of all those democrats wondering if elizabeth warren is gonna run or not

which is itself the liberal version of climate change denial... woah

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

my bony fealty posted:

fuckin lol @ Jeb! ignoring the fact that the shooter flat out said he wanted to kill blacks because they rape and pillage white America

and now his roommates/friends are coming out and saying he wanted to start RaHoWa

maybe that's what was on his mind, hmm?

Those were the drugs talking, we'll never know what he was really thinking :iiam:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Unlike Hillary, who gave the shooting some serious thought, prayed about it, consulted with local community leaders and the result is let's blame Trump.

This is clearly the classier and more productive response, right guys.

You realize that Donald Trump is a republican presidential candidate who called all Mexicans rapists. Right?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sure, I'll buy that. Unfortunately, in context she was assigning blame for killing sprees like Charleston instead of whatever reasonable thing you just wrote.

You are very bad at this whole "context" thing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Caros posted:

You realize that Donald Trump is a republican presidential candidate who called all Mexicans rapists. Right?

Now hold on. He said the good Mexicans stay in Mexico. And the bad ones, including rapists, cross our borders. He also said that some of those bad ones are probably good people.

See how nuanced he was?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Trump's Facebook page also has a response.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

Spacebump posted:

Trump's Facebook page also has a response.

His campaign is just beautiful :allears:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

Bernie Sanders

Wrong on Domestic Terrorism

Wrong for America

:patriot:

If killing people for the purpose of trying to start a race war doesn't constitute an act of terror, what does?

Furthermore, lmao at the people in this thread who think Hilary wouldn't allow a Republican congress to do some awful poo poo that benefits the people giving her tons of money. That alone is enough of a reason to put Bernie on the ticket, never mind any of what he actually believes which is a ton better than what she's giving us.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
She's absolutely right and surprisingly candid in that observation.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Shortest Path posted:

If killing people for the purpose of trying to start a race war doesn't constitute an act of terror, what does?

Furthermore, lmao at the people in this thread who think Hilary wouldn't allow a Republican congress to do some awful poo poo that benefits the people giving her tons of money. That alone is enough of a reason to put Bernie on the ticket, never mind any of what he actually believes which is a ton better than what she's giving us.

Why do you have the impression that people in this thread have the power to put Sanders on any ticket? I'm not a registered Democrat, so I wouldn't be able to vote for him in the primaries, assuming he makes it as far as New York before conceding.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Biden VP for life.

Trump campaign for life. He should campaign every time, kicking it off the day after inauguration.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

So I know y'all probably don't give them any credit, but have you heard any of the rumblings from our minor parties? Has Dr. Jill Stein been making the rounds?

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

MrSargent posted:

Sorry that this discussion was from a few pages back but could someone give me the key arguments against Rand Paul's flat tax proposal? I know that a flat tax has been proposed before and it has never been a feasible option. My original thought is that a flat tax rate of 14.5% would dramatically reduce the budget, requiring massive cuts to existing programs. In addition, doesn't it also put the biggest tax burden on the middle/lower class? I would appreciate any strong, succint arguments that I can use on my hopeless facebook crusade.

Setting the tax rate to a flat rate of 14.5% would be a massive, massive tax cut for rich people. He also wants to eliminate inheritance tax -- again, only for rich people. To be fair, he also wants to eliminate payroll taxes -- those fall disproportionately on poor people, but they're what the government uses to pay for Social Security and Medicare. His plan does not make it clear where the money would come from to keep those plans going (secretly he wants to shut them down and/or privatize them).

He claims that this plan would encourage investment and lead to massive growth and jobs. The problem is, that argument is founded on the principles of supply-side economics. Supply-side economics don't work. Even there, his numbers are a bit flaky. He claims that over ten years, his plan will add 10% to the GDP and create 1.4 million jobs. That equates to a 1% GDP increase per year (which is substantial), and 140,000 new jobs each year. Last month, the US added 280,000 new jobs, and our GDP growth is trending negative. Even in Randian math, those numbers make no sense at all.

Even if his numbers were real (they're not), his package would require massive spending cuts. He claims that by making spending cuts (which would need to be more extreme than he claims), and the growth in the economy from trickle-down (which wouldn't happen), the budget would balance. It wouldn't.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why do you have the impression that people in this thread have the power to put Sanders on any ticket? I'm not a registered Democrat, so I wouldn't be able to vote for him in the primaries, assuming he makes it as far as New York before conceding.

There is still plenty of time to change your party affiliation before the primary.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Every single person in this thread has the power to register Democrat and vote in the primary. His polling numbers are similar to if not better than what Obama had in a similar timeframe for the 2008 election. Don't be lazy and give the cop-out "my vote doesn't matter" excuse, because the more people that do that the more we lose.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Anorexic Sea Turtle posted:

So I know y'all probably don't give them any credit, but have you heard any of the rumblings from our minor parties? Has Dr. Jill Stein been making the rounds?

I haven't heard much about her since 2012. This is the latest post on her Facebook page, from June 10th:

quote:

Friends: now that I've seen how excited people are for a new kind of politics, I'm preparing to make a big announcement soon
;)

We have a plan to make waves across the country, but to make it happen, I need your support today.

Will you help me get my campaign off to a running start?

[redacted]

PS. Anything you give (up to $250) will be matched dollar-for-dollar when we qualify for federal matching funds ;)
#‎ItsInOurHands‬

One thing I will say for Sanders, at least he's an active politician between Presidential election.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

taqueso posted:

There is still plenty of time to change your party affiliation before the primary.

I live in Missouri so I don't even have to register as Democrat to get in there and vote. Maybe we should all change the rules of our state to allow for open primaries.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

taqueso posted:

The Shortest Path posted:

Every single person in this thread has the power to register Democrat and vote in the primary. His polling numbers are similar to if not better than what Obama had in a similar timeframe for the 2008 election. Don't be lazy and give the cop-out "my vote doesn't matter" excuse, because the more people that do that the more we lose.

To my knowledge that's not how it works in NYS. Unless the Election Committee deceived me, your registration is only valid for the election after the next. That's why I wasn't able to vote against Cuomo in the WFP's primaries. If you have a link showing otherwise, I would strongly consider hopping over just for this purpose, although I am loth to give the Dems more general credibility in this State. (Not that WFP has much left, :smith:)

I live in Missouri so I don't even have to register as Democrat to get in there and vote. Maybe we should all change the rules of our state to allow for open primaries.

I'm not sure I like that. Party affiliation should stand for something. The person you're presenting to be elected should be representative of what the party stands for, not of whoever decided to show up for your primary.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

That gang tag is awesome.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Party affiliation should stand for something.

I hate to break it to you, but...

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

To my knowledge that's not how it works in NYS. Unless the Election Committee deceived me, your registration is only valid for the election after the next. That's why I wasn't able to vote against Cuomo in the WFP's primaries. If you have a link showing otherwise, I would strongly consider hopping over just for this purpose, although I am loth to give the Dems more general credibility in this State. (Not that WFP has much left, :smith:)

NYC voter info thing I googled, NYC because I couldn't find one for NYS so hopefully it applies posted:

To Change Your Party Affiliation
You can change your party affiliation by obtaining a Voter Registration Form, indicating the change and sending it to the Board of Elections. We will process the information and send you a new voter card reflecting the change in party. You cannot CHANGE your enrollment and vote in the NEW PARTY of your choice in the same year. Please Note: a change of enrollment will go into affect one week following the General Election. The last day to change your enrollment is the same as the last day to register for the General Election (25 days prior to the date of the General Election).
It seems like you are correct, if the last sentence is completely true. That makes it possible to have a huge delay between submitting the change and them processing it. The primary system is so irregular.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Check here for your registration status in New York State.

For anyone unsure of their voter status, Can I Vote dot Org is a great resource.

quote:

I'm not sure I like that. Party affiliation should stand for something. The person you're presenting to be elected should be representative of what the party stands for, not of whoever decided to show up for your primary.

Yes, I agree with this.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Governor Feelgood has figured out the real cause of the Charleston shooting, pills.

quote:

“And also,” Perry continued, “I think there’s a real issue to be talked about : It seems to me — again, without having all the details about this one — that these individuals have been medicated. And there may be a real issue in this country, from the standpoint of these drugs, and how they’re used.”

Perry explained that “the Veterans Administration, for instance, is handing out these opioids in massive amounts. And then people question: ‘Well, why can’t these young individuals get work?’ Or, ‘why is the suicide rate so high?’”

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ilanbenmeir/rick-perry-psychiatric-medication-may-have-been-a-factor-in?utm_term=.cxgVWzvnW#.ywG3ElKj5

Alligator Horse
Mar 23, 2013

quote:

The former Texas governor made the comments in an interview with NewsmaxTV’s Steve Malzberg, after Malzberg asked whether the shooting, which left 9 dead, should be called “an act of terror.”
“I don’t know,” Perry replied, noting that “there were more people than that killed in Paris” during the attack on satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo, before going on to identify the Charleston shooting as “a crime of hate.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcSlcNfThUA

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Trump kept going bankrupt because he is actually an incredibly savvy businessman!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Is that a Calendar Year or 365 days? Not being able to vote in your changed party's primary in the same calendar year you changed is dumb but makes way more sense than having to wait 365 days before you can vote in the primary.

Seriously though, what the gently caress New York?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

taqueso posted:

It seems like you are correct, if the last sentence is completely true. That makes it possible to have a huge delay between submitting the change and them processing it. The primary system is so irregular.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Gyges posted:

Is that a Calendar Year or 365 days? Not being able to vote in your changed party's primary in the same calendar year you changed is dumb but makes way more sense than having to wait 365 days before you can vote in the primary.

Point is they wouldn't register my change of affiliation until after the 2016 elections, so definitely not in time for the NYS Democratic Primaries for those elections. Probably exactly to avoid a situation where someone will hop affiliation just to vote in a specific primary.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If anyone was wondering, the "we've come to take our country back" shirst is still for sale on Rand Pauls website.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

amanasleep posted:

JEB: All we know is that Elmer Fudd was in the forest with a gun.

ELMER: I'm hunting Wabbits! (shoots Bugs Bunny).

JEB: I don't know what was in his heart and mind.

truly truly truly outrageous

I adore this not just because you used the picture I made, but I love the idea of Jeb! defending the murder of a beloved children's character.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
You don't get it, Jeb! is just demonstrating his mastery of philosophy. He is not that guy, therefore he cannot know his mind.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Gyges posted:

Once you understand that the primaries in states that have them (and in fact election laws in general) are meant to benefit the two major parties and exclude everyone else it makes more sense. State run primaries are basically a way to put lipstick on the pig of "smoke filled room" candidate (s)elections.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Jeb's bullshit on the campaign trail hasn't really been worth getting too riled up about, but this is making my blood boil.

quote:

Jeb Bush Reminds Conservatives That He 'Stood' With Terri Schiavo

Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush invoked the controversial case of Terri Schiavo at a conservative conference in Washington, DC Friday morning, reminding the audience of his role in the case when he was governor of Florida.

"I stood on the side of Terri Schiavo," Bush said at the Faith and Freedom conference. Bush rarely brings up the Schiavo case on the campaign trail but his brief mention of it was made to a religious, conservative audience receptive to his role in the case.
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/jeb-bush-reminds-conservatives-he-stood-terri-schiavo-n378491

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

mlmp08 posted:

Hope: now a method!

Well it's not like we're gonna institute gun control, improve psychiatric care or use the FBI to track down white supremacists with Jeb! In office, so what else do you propose?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
gently caress Jeb.

His statement was calculated and focus grouped enough not to offend but the fact is he's consoling a group of people who weren't targeted in any way (out of a shared desperation to he persecuted) while the actual victims and why they were murdered are ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I stood by that braindead woman just as I stand here now, for you braindead donors.

• Locked thread