Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
there definitely is stuff on howland reed - you gotta watch the tower of joy ones

building a timeline of robert's rebellion based on offhand remarks and order-of-magnitude estimates on marching distances is hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Youre watching all the tamer videos, you need to go deep down the rabbit hole in the multi part non-show related series. The Martell one, the Dragonless, Northern and 1000 part Iron Born. Highlight revelations include: Gerion Lannister is the corsair king/shrouded lord or whatever, Quentyn isn't dead and successfully stole the dragon, Daario isn't Euron BUT Euron is actually a warlock wearing his disguise AND works for the others/night's king, Rickon is the Stark the northmen are talking about and killed Jon so he wouldn't get in the way, Maesters are behind it all, but disappointingly nothing on Howland Reed.

The one about the maesters is pretty interesting. It's probably the most reasonable based on what's actually said in the book and not just weird aspie ravings about alliances of the reasonable. Doesn't Jojen have seizures during his green dreams? It'd be consistent is Sweetrobin has some kind of abilities but it's more likely hes just some hosed up idiot.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Hmmm yeah well, I guess the unsullied have no dicks, and theon has no dick, so does that mean Theon is also the best infantry in the worlda pussyass bitch who gets owned by untrained nobles wearing carnival masks?

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 19, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nate405 posted:

It's from GRRM's original summary of the "trilogy" that he gave his publisher while writing the first book. Pretty much nothing he wrote back then ended up in the finished books. Most of it sounds awful. Jaime becomes king by killing everybody in the line of succession before him and somehow blaming Tyrion. You can read it here, here, and here.

I imagine that the notes he gave D&D for the end of the series are similarly well thought out.

Always nice to see how even ASOIAF could have been worse than the schlock we got.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
My favourite musings of the mentally ill from Preston were definitely the shrouded Lord ones, including the whole "the moon is a spy satellite" thing he had going on.

Gerion Lannister, Lightbringer and Westerosi Death Star operator :shepface:

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Agreed on all counts to be honest. The guy reaches waaaaay too loving far.

However, the parallels in the video I posted are hard to ignore.

Poetry, rhyming, farting, whatever.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

TK-42-1 posted:

The one about the maesters is pretty interesting. It's probably the most reasonable based on what's actually said in the book and not just weird aspie ravings about alliances of the reasonable. Doesn't Jojen have seizures during his green dreams? It'd be consistent is Sweetrobin has some kind of abilities but it's more likely hes just some hosed up idiot.

Well overall yeah I guess it's vaguely plausible, but majority of the video is the details that he concludes based on his broad theory which usually are filled with self-contradiction and/or are completely insane. The maester one in particular he talks about a story where a maester uses his power to trick a pushover Targ king into marrying a relative + supplicant of the maester secret cult, then he suggests that she miscarried multiple times due to the maester aborting the baby or whatever. Why would he marry off his sister or whatever just to force miscarriages on any children she has with the king? I dont remember the details, but I remember that a lot of times just like in that example dude just flat out makes no sense.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
anyone have the video of roy dotrice reading that famous dany scene from ADWD?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

anyone have the video of roy dotrice reading that famous dany scene from ADWD?

The best of George R R Martin.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
edit: NM.

ASoIaF: I find that once I know exactly where a story is going, I lose all interest in writing it

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
One wonders what kind of mental breakdown Preston Jacobs is going to suffer when the story concludes and its incredibly banal and none of his intricate theorizing comes to pass.

Oh the sigils of the bannermen that are mostly cosmetic worldbuilding don't actually signify anything at all? Sorry you wasted dozens of hours making those videos, Preston

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I'm extremely fuckin pleased GRRM is writing his own fan fiction of Jaime rather than actually finishing the book

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
He wrote that before ADWD was published.

He also wrote one with Jaime vs Cthulhu and Jaime vs Hermione from Harry Potter (because Rowling is a Hugo thief). They are incredibly cringeworthy so I didn't read them

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

HELLO LADIES posted:

Jaqen's from Lorath, unless you're talking about someone else entirely. The "a man", "a girl" poo poo is Lorathi, not Braavosi. Syrio sometimes talks in the third person but he names himself explicitly and uses first person, too, and none of the people in Arya's Braavos chapters talk that way, nor Tychos Nestoris. The whole explanation for Jaqen's speech pattern is in the worldbook so it's probably just GRRM making poo poo up ex-post-facto to look all Tolkien, but he explicitly introduces himself as being from Lorath.

thanks, I forgot he was from lorath. regardless, considering how loose GRRM is with his writing details, and how poorly he plans poo poo out, thinking Syrio - Jaquen is not a giant stretch.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

kcroy posted:

thanks, I forgot he was from lorath. regardless, considering how loose GRRM is with his writing details, and how poorly he plans poo poo out, thinking Syrio - Jaquen is not a giant stretch.

As we discovered in the GBS thread, the Syrio = Jaqen theory is flawless except for two things.

1. It's stupid.

2. Jaqen was in prison while Syrio was teaching Arya.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It's weird how fans have trouble accepting that the two might not be the same person in a series where people brutally die without much fanfare, regardless of their importance to the plot.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

As we discovered in the GBS thread, the Syrio = Jaqen theory is flawless except for two things.

1. It's stupid.

As though this has prevented any of the supremely dumb plot/editing decisions in ASOIAF so far. If anything, the theory being stupid should count in its favor.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Max posted:

It's weird how fans have trouble accepting that the two might not be the same person in a series where people brutally die without much fanfare, regardless of their importance to the plot.

I don't know if you are referring to me - but most people don't have trouble with it, they just think it is a possibility. I would not have my mind blown if, after Arya becomes a faceless man, we see Syrio's face either in the hall of faces, or as a final reveal.

It seems like Arya is being set up to fail as a faceless man. She still has needle. We know she doesn't follow the FM rules. It would be interesting if Arya goes rogue, and then gets killed, with the final faceless man being Syrio. It would have a nice symmetry to it.

1. It's stupid.

2. Jaqen was in prison while Syrio was teaching Arya.

Neither of these are barriers if that is how GRRM writes it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I disagree with that but it's well worn territory so I'll leave it at that.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
I'm not a fan of Syrio=Jaqen for the same reason I'm not a fan of Euron=Daario, because it's really silly fanfic bullshit that cheapens the individual characters. Can't we have a faceless man AND a first sword of braavos turned emissary? Is the epic world GRRM built that small?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I'm not a fan of Syrio=Jaqen for the same reason I'm not a fan of Euron=Daario, because it's really silly fanfic bullshit that cheapens the individual characters. Can't we have a faceless man AND a first sword of braavos turned emissary? Is the epic world GRRM built that small?

There are people who believe Mance Rayder is Rhaegar Targaryen.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I can't stress this enough.

R + L = J

Varys is a merman.

Oberyn killed Tywin with poison, Tyrion shot him moments before death.

Rickon, the Cannibal King of Skaagos, is going to gently caress up every enemy of the Starks.

All other theories about secret targs, magic horns, and other poo poo are all stupid.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I can't stress this enough.

R + L = J

Varys is a merman.

Oberyn killed Tywin with poison, Tyrion shot him moments before death.

Rickon, the Cannibal King of Skaagos, is going to gently caress up every enemy of the Starks.

All other theories about secret targs, magic horns, and other poo poo are all stupid.

iawtp except the part about rickon because whatever chapter that poo poo happened in i was tuned out

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think the Shrouded Lord being Gerion Lannister is one of Preston's more plausible ideas (dunno about all the moon dream stuff though). Tyrion has a lot of dreams about the Shrouded Lord in chapters where he's also remembering his uncle Gerion who taught him how to tumble before going away to Valyria. One of the guys Tyrion travels with also mentions offhandedly that the Shrouded Lord enjoys a good laugh, a description that meshes with what Tyrion remembers of his uncle.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Which of his batshit crazy series has the shrouded lord stuff in it?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Does anyone have that wall of text that is all the food descriptions from all the books?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Krinkle posted:

Which of his batshit crazy series has the shrouded lord stuff in it?

iron islands series (he's trying to figure out who of euron, daario, the corsair king, the shrouded lord, etc are the same person, of course)

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Omg Euron is not Daario, he's a secret agent of the Night's King and wants to bring about the eternal night because he said "night" in a sentence once, dont you see?? (That's his actual argument.)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Aegon being fake has been telegraphed so much that the Jon Con chapters might as well have been written in morse.

Euron being Daario is about as likely as Tyrion being Walder Frey.

The moon is an egg that will kiss the sun and a thousand thousand dragons will burst furth, it is known.

e:
Just started watching the fifth season. The first episode was alright but there was a scene with Loras loving some random dude. Everyone knows Renly was the only one for Loras.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 20, 2015

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So what is this Preston dude trying to prove really? That there's some omnipresent dude who's a master of disguise and teleports around the world and pulls all the strings everywhere? while taking short breaks to gently caress Dany every way she can be hosed.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I never understood the whole "Varys is a merman" theory. All the other ones sort of make sense as ridiculous as they can be at times, even the Daario is really Euron in disguise one. But the merman one just really comes out of left field and has no basis in the text.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

iron islands series (he's trying to figure out who of euron, daario, the corsair king, the shrouded lord, etc are the same person, of course)

Holy loving poo poo I love this guy's broken brain. He says a bunch of stuff about how you don't know the actual timeline and it could be they're the same person. He says there's a personality change, was he possibly replaced? Okay. Okay this is the foundation for an argument. You have my attention. Please present your thesis.

Well daario was stiff and formal and quiet, and his clothes were immaculate, then he goes away, and comes back with heads of his former friends for daenerys and his clothes are all messed up. Obviously he was replaced right now. Why would his clothes be messed up after a fight where he kills and beheads three loving people. in a tent at night. What possible reason could there be after a loving lethal 3 on 1 fight but that he was replaced by euron crow's eye? What possible reason was there for him not acting like a dangerous loving wildcard before betraying people? Why didn't he shout out "I AM GOING TO MURDER MY FRIENDS FOR YOU BECAUSE I WANT TO gently caress LATER OKAY BYE" on his way out the door with said friends? Only that he is two separate people at this time.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

The Ninth Layer posted:

I think the Shrouded Lord being Gerion Lannister is one of Preston's more plausible ideas (dunno about all the moon dream stuff though). Tyrion has a lot of dreams about the Shrouded Lord in chapters where he's also remembering his uncle Gerion who taught him how to tumble before going away to Valyria. One of the guys Tyrion travels with also mentions offhandedly that the Shrouded Lord enjoys a good laugh, a description that meshes with what Tyrion remembers of his uncle.

GRRM talks about how he originally wrote a very good, evocative chapter where after Tyrion falls into the Rhoyne, he goes into a kind of purgatory and meets the Shrouded Lord. Tyrion makes the Lord laugh. In return, he rewards him with either his life or by sparing him from greyscale. GRRM kept debating whether to leave it in or not but eventually decided to cut it since it would go against a theme of the series -- divinity either has a pseudo-biological explanation (Bloodraven as Old God, giant turtle god) or it's left ambiguous whether they actually exist like R'hllor.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that Tyrion did meet the Shrouded Lord in the canonical story but we're not privy to this and Tyrion does not remember it. It explains why Jon Con got greyscale and Tyrion didn't.

Doesn't he imagine the Shrouded Lord having Tywin's face or something? And Tyrion used to amuse Gerion by cartwheeling?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Even if the timeline is a lot longer then it seems to be Euron would still have to sail around almost all of Westeros, which is stupidly huge, and then head far into the east. That's months of sailing even if he can do magic to the wind.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Gianthogweed posted:

I never understood the whole "Varys is a merman" theory. All the other ones sort of make sense as ridiculous as they can be at times, even the Daario is really Euron in disguise one. But the merman one just really comes out of left field and has no basis in the text.

Actually, it's 100% perfectly flawless as a theory.

Sounds crazy, but it's the most bulletproof crazy theory.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Theories that are obviously true:
-Aegon is fake.
-Jon is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna.
-Manderlly killed three of the Freys and made their relatives eat them.
-Jon Snow will become a wolf for a while before re-entering his body.
-Robert Strong is the reanimated corpse of the Mountain.
-Alleras the Sphinx is one of the sandsnakes disguised as a boy.
-The Hound is alive and living in a monastery.
-Varys is a merman.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I once asked Preston if Varys is a merman and he said "no". So Varys is definitely a merman.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

GRRM talks about how he originally wrote a very good, evocative chapter where after Tyrion falls into the Rhoyne, he goes into a kind of purgatory and meets the Shrouded Lord. Tyrion makes the Lord laugh. In return, he rewards him with either his life or by sparing him from greyscale. GRRM kept debating whether to leave it in or not but eventually decided to cut it since it would go against a theme of the series -- divinity either has a pseudo-biological explanation (Bloodraven as Old God, giant turtle god) or it's left ambiguous whether they actually exist like R'hllor.

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that Tyrion did meet the Shrouded Lord in the canonical story but we're not privy to this and Tyrion does not remember it. It explains why Jon Con got greyscale and Tyrion didn't.

Doesn't he imagine the Shrouded Lord having Tywin's face or something? And Tyrion used to amuse Gerion by cartwheeling?

Yes to both. Tyrion has a few dreams of the Shrouded Lord and in those dreams he has Tywin's face, or sometimes shifts to Tywin. We don't know what Gerion looks like but it's not too big a stretch to think he might resemble Tywin. Gerion was the guy who taught Tyrion to cartwheel, which was a big hit with everyone at Casterly Rock (including Cersei) except Tywin. Gerion was Tyrion's favorite uncle and seemed to like Tyrion more than any other Lannister did too. So I sorta like the idea that Gerion went to Valyria and ended up as the Shrouded Lord, and spared Tyrion because he likes his nephew. It's also a cool theory because Gerion is one of the few guys who gets mentioned a few times as missing but not necessarily dead, sorta like Benjen is.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

The Ninth Layer posted:

It's also a cool theory because Gerion is one of the few guys who gets mentioned a few times as missing but not necessarily dead, sorta like Benjen is.

Jaime scrambled to his feet. "My lady. I had not thought to see you again so soon." Gods be good, she looks ten years older than when I saw her last. And what' s happened to her face? "That bandage ... you've been wounded ..."

"A bite." She touched the hilt of her sword, the sword that he had given her. Oathkeeper. "Ser, it's one of the sailors. Says he knows your Uncle Gerion. Says he's still alive."

"Gerion. Have you found him?"

"I have," said Brienne, Maid of Tarth.

"Where is he?"

"A day's ride. I can take you to him, ser ... but you will need to come alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

isn't rickon like 4 years old?