Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Not sure what that error means but my first step would be trying to do a listing of that container myself using a swift client

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

theperminator posted:

Not sure what that error means but my first step would be trying to do a listing of that container myself using a swift client

Container is there and fine. Using cyber duck as well as swift client. Is there a specific scheme that the container needs to have to work with commvault?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

lampey posted:

The H1B visa program exists to allow skilled workers to fulfill a shortage after many requirements are met. If this program is causing tax payers to lose jobs it is not an issue of xenophobia. If the program is causing more hard than good it is not going to be supported as a policy.
Which taxes are H-1B workers not paying? They pay income taxes (on which they're not allowed to claim the standard deduction), they pay FICA taxes in almost all circumstances despite rarely being able to collect on social security, they pay sales taxes on everything they buy, their landlords are responsible for property or land use taxes which are paid using their money.

I'm not saying that workers losing their jobs to less-qualified people is anything less than reprehensible. But if we're really taking a stand on behalf of those workers' rights, we should be approaching this from a standpoint of actually protecting those workers, instead of just focusing on one overblown way that companies are attempting to lower their labor costs like that's going to fix anything.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

Which taxes are H-1B workers not paying? They pay income taxes (on which they're not allowed to claim the standard deduction), they pay FICA taxes in almost all circumstances despite rarely being able to collect on social security, they pay sales taxes on everything they buy, their landlords are responsible for property or land use taxes which are paid using their money.

I'm not saying that workers losing their jobs to less-qualified people is anything less than reprehensible. But if we're really taking a stand on behalf of those workers' rights, we should be approaching this from a standpoint of actually protecting those workers, instead of just focusing on one overblown way that companies are attempting to lower their labor costs like that's going to fix anything.

I work for an MSP so I see this a little differently. Many of the companies we work with fire at least some of their IT staff after becoming clients. If you are a 40 person company and have 6 full time IT guys, you aren't providing enough value for the cost.

From the financial perspective of H1B, much of there money is not being spent in the area and is being sent home, they are only staying for one job, taking valuable experience. If the H1B requirements were changed to allow replacing current workers the welfare costs would increase.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

Actually I've been doing ccnp security stuff without ever having studied it at all. I would be all over a frame relay ticket right now instead of router certs.

Isn't this your first job in IT too? And you're already handling these kinds of issues?!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
"Handling" may be too positive of a word for what I've done. I'm worried I'm going to end up the subject of a "it nightmares" thread in this forum.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

"Handling" may be too positive of a word for what I've done. I'm worried I'm going to end up the subject of a "it nightmares" thread in this forum.

Getting to even touch that stuff still seems far out of each for me so I'm sure you're doing a good rear end job

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I'm in my second IT job after a three month stint in a NOC that ended in a buyout. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm regularly working on Linux UTMs, Juniper Firewalls and Cisco ASAs. For the latter, the company has been having us go through the CBT nuggets CCNP videos as supplementary training. It's definitely been a crash course in learning a wide range of stuff, but it's been coming together nicely.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

lampey posted:

I work for an MSP so I see this a little differently. Many of the companies we work with fire at least some of their IT staff after becoming clients. If you are a 40 person company and have 6 full time IT guys, you aren't providing enough value for the cost.

From the financial perspective of H1B, much of there money is not being spent in the area and is being sent home, they are only staying for one job, taking valuable experience. If the H1B requirements were changed to allow replacing current workers the welfare costs would increase.

Honest question: do you think they only want to stay for one job?

If it weren't a temporary visa, there would be more reason to spend money here. That's an immigration policy problem.

And "they're taking our jerbs" isn't a reason to change the program. It's capitalism at work. Employers with a lot of H1Bs are restricted. Unless they have postgraduate degrees or are 20% more than the median household income in the US (which must also meet market wage requirements). If it's a cost savings to replace workers with someone you're paying $60k+, surely you can agree that's market forces at work.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

rafikki posted:

I'm in my second IT job after a three month stint in a NOC that ended in a buyout. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm regularly working on Linux UTMs, Juniper Firewalls and Cisco ASAs. For the latter, the company has been having us go through the CBT nuggets CCNP videos as supplementary training. It's definitely been a crash course in learning a wide range of stuff, but it's been coming together nicely.

Does CCNP stuff cover ASAs? I just figured the PIX/ASA line was a black hole in that regard. Would be nice to know that there is documentation/training for them aside from whatever is available in Cisco white papers.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Sheep posted:

Does CCNP stuff cover ASAs? I just figured the PIX/ASA line was a black hole in that regard. Would be nice to know that there is documentation/training for them aside from whatever is available in Cisco white papers.

CCNP: Security does. ASA is still widely supported (it's being merged with Sourcefire for NGFW) and the current CLI documentation is pretty good.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

crunk dork posted:

Getting to even touch that stuff still seems far out of each for me so I'm sure you're doing a good rear end job

Well I guess I'm not an idiot because the owner tried to do thus today and ultimately opened a case with Cisco so yay.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

evol262 posted:

And "they're taking our jerbs" isn't a reason to change the program. It's capitalism at work. Employers with a lot of H1Bs are restricted. Unless they have postgraduate degrees or are 20% more than the median household income in the US (which must also meet market wage requirements). If it's a cost savings to replace workers with someone you're paying $60k+, surely you can agree that's market forces at work.

Which would self-evidently depress wages here.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol at people unironically defending the use of H1Bs as they are currently used

disney: we cant get the professionals we need, lets get some people some H1Bs, lay off the employees literally already doing the job we claim we can't get employees for, and literally force those employees to train the workers or they don't get their severance package

yea H1Bs as they are currently used own and are just part of :freep: market forces :freep:

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Eonwe posted:

disney: we cant get the professionals we need, lets get some people some H1Bs, lay off the employees literally already doing the job we claim we can't get employees for, and literally force those employees to train the workers or they don't get their severance package

yea H1Bs as they are currently used own and are just part of :freep: market forces :freep:

This is a misrepresentation of what is happening. HCL and Cognizant(consulting companies) attempt to hire for jobs that don't yet exist with very specific skillsets. They are then able to get H1B visas approved and hire foreign workers. Companies like Disney outsource their IT department and layoff some workers. It is normal to have current employees turnover information to consultants/contractors. At no point is Disney hiring foreign workers. If Disney is able to replace ~500 jobs with outsourced workers, it would be a similar situation if they used foreign workers or not.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That sounds pretty much the same except with a middleman

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Oh holy poo poo I am on the precipice of a huge upwards career move. :yotj:

I've been negotiating hard for a job I really want to take. I got a call from a different position offering $10/hr more than what I was shooting for on the other.

I'm not quite at six figures yet, but this is amazing considering I was just posting 2 years ago asking people poo poo like "How am I supposed to learn sequel when I don't even know about the original?"

Edit:
If anyone is lurking this thread, is smart, and is considering getting into IT, DO IT!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Goongrats man

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Oh holy poo poo I am on the precipice of a huge upwards career move. :yotj:

I've been negotiating hard for a job I really want to take. I got a call from a different position offering $10/hr more than what I was shooting for on the other.

I'm not quite at six figures yet, but this is amazing considering I was just posting 2 years ago asking people poo poo like "How am I supposed to learn sequel when I don't even know about the original?"

Edit:
If anyone is lurking this thread, is smart, and is considering getting into IT, DO IT!

Am I the only one that is annoyed by people pronouncing SQL as sequel?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Fool posted:

Am I the only one that is annoyed by people pronouncing SQL as sequel?

Probably.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It was originally called SEQUEL (Structured English QUEry Language) before some trademark bullshit back when the language was first developed in the 70s, so a lot of people like me learned SQL from people who worked in that era.

In short, lol if you actually get annoyed at that.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Everyone knows it's pronounced "squirrel"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

It was originally called SEQUEL (Structured English QUEry Language) before some trademark bullshit back when the language was first developed in the 70s, so a lot of people like me learned SQL from people who worked in that era.

In short, lol if you actually get annoyed at that.

I'm just trying to figure out what other pronunciation you'd use. Squeal, maybe?

Apple tried to insist SCSI sounded like sexy when everyone else in the industry called it scuzzy. Sorry, King Canute, the tide is already in. Come back to the castle and change into dry clothes.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Gigabyte is pronounced with a J sound, like Giant.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Yeah it's definitely pronounced "squirrel". Especially if you're trying to annoy DBAs.

" I need a squirrel question to pull some datas from the tablebase " is enough to make my pocket dba develop an eye twitch.

Antioch fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 20, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

On a similar subject are there any NoSQL goons?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

E/N post ahoy

:yotj: Gave my notice and can finally post about this. It's bittersweet since my current situation--and my team--is already quite awesome. But I was looking to relocate for family reasons eventually and got the proverbial Offer I Couldn't Refuse.

Gonna be moving back to Boston to work for a medium-size web company headquartered there (not near the Google/Facebook/Amazon tier, but bigger than I'm used to). As a Senior Systems Engineer on the Operations team. It will be a solid raise, even after accounting for the giant cost of living disparity from Colorado. Lots of really great ancillary benefits, too. The clincher is that they are assisting with, and paying for, pretty much my entire relocation :stare:. So yeah, I was probably never getting a better package to move back east than this, even if it's sooner than I wanted.

The way the whole thing came about was pretty funny. A recruiter hit me up out of the blue on LinkedIn with a very well tailored message. At the time, I said thanks but no thanks, not looking. A couple months later, some things changed at work that pried the door open a crack for me to start looking. Almost simultaneously, I was at a conference and the exact same recruiter went on stage and did an A+ presentation on how to work with recruiters, both as a job seeker and a company looking to hire. It was so good I looked her up and realized it was the same person who had contacted me earlier. I reached back out, one thing led to another, and I got the job. So yeah. When you get that rare outstanding recruiter cold call, don't just blow it off! Even if you aren't looking to leave today.

Feels real weird to be leaving the Denver area after deciding this is where I wanted to spend the rest of my life. But having kids will gently caress up the best laid plans (in the the best possible way). I'm sure there's at least a few Boston IT goons in here, and I'd be happy to have a drink or two with you come August.

Tab8715 posted:

My coworker is an ElasticSearch guru. I just dabble in it enough to get Logstash working.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

lampey posted:

This is a misrepresentation of what is happening. HCL and Cognizant(consulting companies) attempt to hire for jobs that don't yet exist with very specific skillsets. They are then able to get H1B visas approved and hire foreign workers. Companies like Disney outsource their IT department and layoff some workers. It is normal to have current employees turnover information to consultants/contractors. At no point is Disney hiring foreign workers. If Disney is able to replace ~500 jobs with outsourced workers, it would be a similar situation if they used foreign workers or not.

So everyone who was training their H1B replacement was a temp from a consulting company I hadn't heard that do you have a source?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I'm having a philosophical debate with some of my co-workers and I figured I'd ask the thread for some wider opinions.

I work in operations for a SaaS company, so uptime and performance are paramount. In my ideal world, any major performance problem/outage is a situation where everyone in the ops team, regardless of role, should drop what they're doing and see what they can do to assist with the situation. Even if that just means proving that the problem isn't anything to do with their area, or just running over to another team to make sure the problem has their attention. As such, when I do spot something going horrible wrong, I broadcast on every communications channel available to me to get as many people's attention as quickly as possible. Essentially I want the immediate attention of every person in the team, and then quickly whittle down to the people who can actually do something about it.

Other's disagree with this approach, as they consider it disruptive to what is a large team of people who all have their own projects going on. They feel notifications and alerts should be targeted to specific individuals, with a new person chosen if that original person isn't available. This causes a minimum of disruption to everyone else.

I've got two problems with this. 1) I feel an outage is worth everyone knowing about, even if they're not directly involved they can learn a lot by watching the situation, which could come in handy if it happens at some time in the future, out of hours when they're on call. Even if they can't help in a technical sense they can still help in other ways, in one recent example I needed a DBA but didn't have any in my office, so I needed any warm body in the other office to head over and grab the attention of a DBA there.

2) I feel it's faster to broadcast out and whittle down from there, instead of going one by one to different people until I can get someone to assist. During an outage every minute counts after all.

Where at an impasse where I'm not convincing them, but they're not convincing me either, so I'd love to hear other perspectives on it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

lampey posted:

That's sophistry.

Disney replacing workers by hiring H1Bs by proxy. By using HCL and/or Cognizant, Disney is able to skirt any H1B abuse allegations from the Dept. of Labor. They can claim, truthfully, that they simply contracted out their IT dept and their current staff is redundant (and more expensive). Prior to the cutover, the Managed Service Provider can hire H1B with the excuse they are needed to fill the positions Disney needs, because the only people that meet the job descriptions are still employed at Disney. It's a loving shell game.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Kind of the whole point of NoSQL is that it's as dumb as possible, because you need to do things with your data model that are very tightly coupled to your application's data access patterns in order to scale out. Most NoSQL solutions are fairly uncomplicated by design, and certainly much less sophisticated than an enterprise RDBMS like Oracle. Then there's MongoDB, and gently caress MongoDB.

That said, there's people here who understand the underlying concepts of Dynamo, etc. pretty well if you have questions.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Eonwe posted:

lol at xenophobia masquerading as outrage.

Disney doesn't need to prove they can't get workers for that job unless they're h1b dependent, which they almost certainly are not.

This whole situation sucks, but it's not the evil H1Bs. It's the lovely company that wants to help their bottom line.

Also, :jerkbag: comments don't address whether or not you think offering $60k+ to the H1Bs (which would also let them skip proving the job can be filled in the US) is reasonable. Disney almost certainly made an effort to reduce the costs of their workforce (either operationally or through salary reductions) and was rebuffed or failed. We're in a high-paying industry, but replacing workers with H1Bs making $60k (if they are a dependent employer) isn't really low-wage H1B scabbing.

flosofl posted:

That's sophistry.

Disney replacing workers by hiring H1Bs by proxy. By using HCL and/or Cognizant, Disney is able to skirt any H1B abuse allegations from the Dept. of Labor. They can claim, truthfully, that they simply contracted out their IT dept and their current staff is redundant (and more expensive). Prior to the cutover, the Managed Service Provider can hire H1B with the excuse they are needed to fill the positions Disney needs, because the only people that meet the job descriptions are still employed at Disney. It's a loving shell game.

HCL and Cognizant are almost certainly H1B-dependent employers, and are required to also inquire whether or not that H1B would displace a US worker. Displacement is a 3 month window before and afterwards. You cannot lay off your entire IT department and replace them with H1Bs the next week. Or the next month. Unless you're paying their replacements at least $60k. It isn't a shell game. Please see one of the many fact sheets on why this thread is wrong about labor laws, again.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

That's sophistry.

:agreed:

If you are ok with the current state of H1Bs you are doing some amazing mental gymnastics

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

evol262 posted:

lol at xenophobia masquerading as outrage.

Disney doesn't need to prove they can't get workers for that job unless they're h1b dependent, which they almost certainly are not.

This whole situation sucks, but it's not the evil H1Bs. It's the lovely company that wants to help their bottom line.

Also, :jerkbag: comments don't address whether or not you think offering $60k+ to the H1Bs (which would also let them skip proving the job can be filled in the US) is reasonable. Disney almost certainly made an effort to reduce the costs of their workforce (either operationally or through salary reductions) and was rebuffed or failed. We're in a high-paying industry, but replacing workers with H1Bs making $60k (if they are a dependent employer) isn't really low-wage H1B scabbing.

HCL and Cognizant are almost certainly H1B-dependent employers, and are required to also inquire whether or not that H1B would displace a US worker. Displacement is a 3 month window before and afterwards. You cannot lay off your entire IT department and replace them with H1Bs the next week. Or the next month. Unless you're paying their replacements at least $60k. It isn't a shell game. Please see one of the many fact sheets on why this thread is wrong about labor laws, again.

Counterpoint: shut up

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also lol at basically saying if you think H1Bs are bad you are racist, get out of here with that poo poo

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also I'm not against H1Bs themselves but it needs a huge loving overhaul, but that probably means I'm 'xenophobic'

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

evol262 posted:

Which, again, would self-evidently depress domestic wages. $60k is low-wage scabbing for non-entry level IT folks.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Docjowles posted:

The clincher is that they are assisting with, and paying for, pretty much my entire relocation :stare:. So yeah, I was probably never getting a better package to move back east than this, even if it's sooner than I wanted.

How far are they going? Re-location usually gives you a budget of $X and you turn in the U-haul rental receipt. Unless they hired a 3rd-Party Contractor to appraise your house, sold it separately along with hiring movers.

Docjowles posted:

I was at a conference and the exact same recruiter went on stage and did an A+ presentation on how to work with recruiters, both as a job seeker and a company looking to hire.

What conference was this? Is there a YouTube of presentation or what's the gist of the whole thing?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

My point was less about H-1Bs in general (yes, Americans routinely lose jobs to underpaid foreign workers; yes, 50%+ of H-1Bs are awarded to employees of outsourcing companies) and more about the fact that if your focus is the H-1Bs themselves and not the complete lack of worker protections in this country, you're a hypocritical moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

NZAmoeba posted:

I work in operations for a SaaS company, so uptime and performance are paramount. In my ideal world, any major performance problem/outage is a situation where everyone in the ops team, regardless of role, should drop what they're doing and see what they can do to assist with the situation.

If there's an issue with whatever why should I care or be involved if it's nothing that falls into my teams technical expertise?

Granted, if it's fine if you want to help but sometimes having more people look into an issue doesn't mean it gets fixed faster. If I'm busy putting out fires I do not need other teams looking over my shoulder.