Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
So I have successfully pacified the hospital, it seems. Quite a bit of it is wreckage now thanks to brutes punching through walls to get at me and me having to retreat to the safety of my car/turret against a wave of corrosives/hollows/brutes all backed up by a Necromancer.

He can't resurrect bodies that aren't there anymore.

Now that I have a ready supply of various meds lying there when I need them, as well as machines that'll let me regrow my bones, I'm going to move on to the next town. There's a few houses left unexplored but really I ran through a few and haven't spotted anything interesting like vibrators (must be really rare?) or any guns/books I didn't really have. I might look through them for basements just in case but I think for now I'm done with this town. Coffee shops and restaurants didn't have any of the atomic stuff either.

But now I have a quandary. I've been obsessively collecting everything for so long that my base is loving full. What do my fellow packrat survivors suggest I bring on to my car and what I should leave behind in my base for the next survivor to stumble across it/for me to go back and get when I need it?

Edit: Giant ants respawn right? So this means that I essentially have an infinite supply of food and no longer needs to bother with acorns which take an hour to cook? I could just stuff a bunch of meat into my minifridge and move along, coming back for more when I need it.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I find that it's best to see what you prefer using most and taking those supplies with you. Take a look at what's most interesting crafting wise in books you have, and take only those with you. Obviously, take some food, water, and medicine with you to deal with running into infection. Also bring a jack and a welding tool and some spare parts because you will eventually run over a land mine or something and blow out your tires in the middle of nowhere. Your favorite weapons and ammo for them, at least one thing that can handle long range combat.

I do believe giant ants respawn, even if they didn't they appear in such quantity that you usually can't really eat them faster than you get hungry. I still don't care for minifridges since they suck tons of power and don't keep things fresh forever, dehydrating or salting them removes some food value but does make them non-perishable as well as lightweight. In practice you will probably wind up chowing down on random food found wherever you go, some fruit you found on a bush here, a moose you ran over there. Heck, take a pile of acorns with you and you're set for a week or more.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 19, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

nftyw posted:

I find that it's best to see what you prefer using most and taking those supplies with you. Take a look at what's most interesting crafting wise in books you have, and take only those with you. Obviously, take some food, water, and medicine with you to deal with running into infection. Also bring a jack and a welding tool and some spare parts because you will eventually run over a land mine or something and blow out your tires in the middle of nowhere. Your favorite weapons and ammo for them, at least one thing that can handle long range combat.

And I suppose a fair amount of rags, leather, kevlar, plastic, and metal to go along with all of that. Okay, thanks that's good. I think I'm also going to find tools that I need and can't use my integrated toolset for and take them along too.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what's an easy way to make an easily draggable solar welding frame. Do I need to use casters or can I just drag the frame around like an animal?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Never tried it, but 2x extra-light frame, 2x solar panel, 2xwheels of choice (if food cart can manage on casters I guess it would be okay there), welder on one section, storage battery and casing on another (unless they can be added to the same square as the welder) seems like a pretty good setup. Hell, you could have an inert solar panel shell sitting somewhere charging up batteries and replace your welder cart's occasionally without having the panels to reduce weight, sort of like the auto street sweepers you see scattered around towns.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Artificer posted:

And I suppose a fair amount of rags, leather, kevlar, plastic, and metal to go along with all of that. Okay, thanks that's good. I think I'm also going to find tools that I need and can't use my integrated toolset for and take them along too.

You probably don't need rags or metal, unless you're heading out to the wilderness. You can get metal from cars obviously and if you find a house you have basically more rags than you'll ever need.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Artificer posted:

Edit: Giant ants respawn right? So this means that I essentially have an infinite supply of food and no longer needs to bother with acorns which take an hour to cook? I could just stuff a bunch of meat into my minifridge and move along, coming back for more when I need it.

If you really never want to worry about food again, go down into the ant hill and loot the egg chambers. You'll wind up with enough food for years that will never expire. Plus you can turn them into powdered eggs which can be used in a ton of recipes. If the colony isn't hostile to you they won't even so much as wiggle an antennae at what you're doing.

Also I've been messing around with exploding shotgun shells, they are of course very good at making things dead, but they are also really good breaching tools. They're not overly powerful, don't start fires, and if you have a supply of slugs the makeshift ones are incredibly easy to make. I've been using them to get pass the cages in banks, instead of a cutting torch, by simply blasting a hole in from the outside.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

girth brooks part 2 posted:

by simply blasting a hole in from the outside.

These Payday 2 missions are starting to get ridiculous

Sage Grimm posted:

Never tried it, but 2x extra-light frame, 2x solar panel, 2xwheels of choice (if food cart can manage on casters I guess it would be okay there), welder on one section, storage battery and casing on another (unless they can be added to the same square as the welder) seems like a pretty good setup. Hell, you could have an inert solar panel shell sitting somewhere charging up batteries and replace your welder cart's occasionally without having the panels to reduce weight, sort of like the auto street sweepers you see scattered around towns.

Thank you friend.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually I have a problem. How come the vehicle construction menu doesn't recognize a welder with batteries or an acetylene torch as a powered welder? Do I seriously have to use all of the duck tape in the whole city just to install these stupid batteries to power my vehicle welder so I can build my vehicle welder cart???

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Larry Parrish posted:

Actually I have a problem. How come the vehicle construction menu doesn't recognize a welder with batteries or an acetylene torch as a powered welder? Do I seriously have to use all of the duck tape in the whole city just to install these stupid batteries to power my vehicle welder so I can build my vehicle welder cart???

That's weird, it should let you use them. Do you have a pair of welding goggles as well?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

girth brooks part 2 posted:

That's weird, it should let you use them. Do you have a pair of welding goggles as well?

:downs: I forgot I leave my goggles in my base tool-pile because I don't use the welders much

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, concurrent to that, the simplest welder-stand you can make is probably wooden frame, solar panel, battery, and vehicle welder. Throw a pair of welding goggles into the welder's storage along with any necessary supplies while you work and you're set. It's not pretty, but it works.

In other news, the Solarbeast is feature-complete and ready to steamroll across the landscape...I hope. With a 'safe' maximum speed of a blistering 31 miles per hour before the engines start to strain, it probably won't be going anywhere fast, and the first priority in its march of conquest is probably going to be to find new engines to improve its acceleration. Absolute maximum speed is listed as over 800 miles per hour, which is pretty impressive for an RV with tens of tons of armor and bulldozer rollers welded on, powered by every large electric engine in the county, but I'm pretty sure the engine compartment would melt a hole through to the core of the Earth before it could reach that speed.

I fully expect the controls to get sniped by a flaming eye, assuming I don't somehow go full :killdozer: and end up irretrievably lodged in the ruins of a house.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Hey, you guys were right, modding this game is easy as hell!

http://www.mediafire.com/view/n90luk2368bzuax/ranged.json

This was bashed together super quickly and all the values are basically eyeballed, but here goes. It unfucks the weirdly high dispersion values for pistols, some of the SMGs (why the gently caress would an UZI have 300 dispersion??), and extends most shotgun ranges a lil' bit.

Needless to say this is hella untested and might blow up your game or whatever. Back up the original file somewhere else before replacing it. To install, just drop the file into data/json/items.

Oh yeah and my game version's 19cd728, which is one of the recent unstables. I don't think they changed anything re:guns since the last stable, but it might not work or introduce some wonkiness, so watch out for that I guess!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The mod format right now is basically "drop it in a mod folder and then toggle it on to overwrite defaults" right?

But yes, I put a lot of work into moving all that poo poo out into the jsons so it's nice and easy to edit, it is nice someone here is actually doing it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I made an extremely deluxe scout car with 100% visibility and a minifridge, but I'm pretty sure I don't need two engines since the safe speed is like 200 KMH and driving about 30 seems to be a death sentence anyway

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

The mod format right now is basically "drop it in a mod folder and then toggle it on to overwrite defaults" right?

But yes, I put a lot of work into moving all that poo poo out into the jsons so it's nice and easy to edit, it is nice someone here is actually doing it.

Oh yeah, nah, this isn't technically a mod, just a straight up file replacement. I did it that way 'cause I'm pretty sure you can't add mods to already generated worlds? and this way the changes will be applied right away.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quick question, since the wiki doesn't say. Is there an easy way to get into gun stores. You can't seem to pry the bars or doors with a crow bar. Can you cut them open with an acetylene torch or something? Usually I just ram a working car into them full speed but I'm lazy.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Larry Parrish posted:

Quick question, since the wiki doesn't say. Is there an easy way to get into gun stores. You can't seem to pry the bars or doors with a crow bar. Can you cut them open with an acetylene torch or something? Usually I just ram a working car into them full speed but I'm lazy.

Lockpicks are easy to make, though I think the game still calls them picklocks. Activate them on a locked door and hopefully you'll unlock it. Mechanics skill might help, although I'm not sure.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Acetylene torch is probably the most reliable. You can also pick the lock with a hairpin or preferably a locksmith set and decent mechanics skill.

Never made lockpicks before, I was lucky enough to find a locksmith set on both of the characters I managed to get anywhere with.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah mechanics skill is what determines lockpicking. Go dismantle a car and you'll never fail to pick a lock again, even with makeshift (pick)lock(pick)s.

Scooty Puff
Apr 24, 2010
Pillbug
Has anyone had any luck with the Vortex Generator in the Vehicle Additions Pack mod? I've built it, installed it, "f"illed it with the vortex core, and turned it on. I consistently get the "you hear a humming" message, but it never seems to actually charge any batteries.

I think I have the latest version too.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah mechanics skill is what determines lockpicking. Go dismantle a car and you'll never fail to pick a lock again, even with makeshift (pick)lock(pick)s.

Yeah I had like 15 mechanics from building my car and repairing all the parts, starting with about 3 from skill books. I failed maybe 2 pick attempts, but never set off alarms with just an improvised lockpick. Now I just need to get computer skills to hack those darn computers. I have gotten super unlucky and haven't found any skill books outside of Fabrication (and books that contain recipes you mostly already know)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
So apparently with static NPCs turned on the game can spawn bandit camps. I ran into one while wandering through a forest looking for woodland critters to murder/cook, and before I knew what was happening I was getting shot by three guys (including at least one smg!). I had found two guns and exactly zero bullets so far, so I don't think I really had much of a chance. Maybe I should've rushed them and gone all bionic-monstrosity-claw-murder on their faces instead of trying to break LOS by running away through the forest.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I'm about to go explore my first science lab. What should I bring? What do I need to prep?

Heavier armor even despite the encumbrance to defend against turrets. Maybe an electrohacker? Some EMP grenades, maybe. A ranged weapon and a melee weapon. Bandages. Food and water.

Probably ditch the duffel bag until I've secured the lab, since looting can wait.

Anything else?

Edit: Huh. This console isn't letting me download research data or map data. I'm hitting 1 and 2 but the buttons aren't doing anything...

Artificer fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 20, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Artificer posted:

I'm about to go explore my first science lab. What should I bring? What do I need to prep?

Heavier armor even despite the encumbrance to defend against turrets. Maybe an electrohacker? Some EMP grenades, maybe. A ranged weapon and a melee weapon. Bandages. Food and water.

Probably ditch the duffel bag until I've secured the lab, since looting can wait.

Anything else?

Electrohacks do very little good in labs, as they don't actually work on computers.

Bring a way to smash a reinforced glass window. If your computer skill is below 6 or 7, upgrade that to a way to smash or cut a metal door. The glass window thing is because even with perfect hacking skill you can't get into the barracks, because the console you need to access to get to the backroom is locked behind the door it unlocks. :downs:

Bring a sewing kit if your plan for turrets doesn't involve one-shotting them the turn you see them. Maybe bring one anyways. Don't bother bringing rags, there are tons of blankets and discarded clothes to cut up.

Most importantly, you didn't mention a light source, so uh, bring one of those. Flashlight is fine, night vision is better.

Have a plan for looting: going up to torso encumbrance 2 isn't too bad even on a melee character, just have the skills to compensate. A shopping cart or vehicle left at the entrance is probably the best solution, though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Artificer posted:

Edit: Huh. This console isn't letting me download research data or map data. I'm hitting 1 and 2 but the buttons aren't doing anything...

The research data is just flavor text. Are you sure the map data didn't just succeed silently? Check your overmap, if everything in a ~25 square radius of the lab is revealed, it worked. Failure should result in you getting kicked out of the console menu, at minimum, and could electrocute you, summon robots, or break the console depending on how badly you failed the roll and what kind of console you were using.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Pffft that is what probability travel is for. Just throw yourself at the door/wall, dodge it, and land on the other side! :v:

And after using that a bunch I started reading all the lab documents about how excessive 4th dimensional travel left subjects dimensionally "loose" and liable to cause weird-bad-poo poo. I'm pretty sure that is just fluff, but now I'm worried. :ohdear:

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
I don't know if probability travel has anything to do with that stuff but after fuckin' around on the wiki a while ago I can say that it is absolutely not fluff. I've never experienced it myself and I didn't spoil myself on the specifics but I know it exists.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
There's two reasonably valid approaches to labs, I think. Once you have good gear, you can armor up, have something ready to one-shot turrets and most mobs, and a plan for dealing with the robot enforcers that isn't 'run away' or 'stay out of sight', and with all that taken care of you can clear the lab a floor at a time and loot at your leisure. That said, it seems like it's usually not too hard to skulk around in the dark avoiding sounds and lit areas (night vision of some kind REALLY, REALLY helps here, though), and basically avoid all the major threats. Lab room placement is random, but very rigidly structured; most rooms that have dangerous spawns aside turrets have lots of them or have them locked in little boxes, so you'll usually be able to hear things before you see them, and most of the rooms that are really good for looting are going to be fairly quiet, with only a couple of exceptions. Storage rooms have goodies for chemistry including rare books (there's also a couple of fabrication/electronics-aimed endgame crafting manuals here too), while most characters will be happy to find barracks, which is the room you're probably going to need some kind of entry tool for. If a torch is your entry plan and too cumbersome for your initial scouting loadout, it can of course safely be left upstairs until you've actually found the barracks and then retrieved. If you're in party 'skulk around like a drat rat', I suggest not having your lights on much to avoid undue attention and to help you spot lit-up walls so you can safely avoid turrets.

E: Just as everywhere else, if you can find the electricity resistance CBM it can be extremely helpful in labs, protecting you from Skitterbots and failed hacking attempts

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 20, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Pffft that is what probability travel is for. Just throw yourself at the door/wall, dodge it, and land on the other side! :v:

And after using that a bunch I started reading all the lab documents about how excessive 4th dimensional travel left subjects dimensionally "loose" and liable to cause weird-bad-poo poo. I'm pretty sure that is just fluff, but now I'm worried. :ohdear:

Excessive teleportation can indeed lead to some strange and unpleasant effects.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Bring a way to smash a reinforced glass window. If your computer skill is below 6 or 7, upgrade that to a way to smash or cut a metal door. The glass window thing is because even with perfect hacking skill you can't get into the barracks, because the console you need to access to get to the backroom is locked behind the door it unlocks. :downs:

What ARE the ways to smash or cut a metal door? Do I need explosives or can I build some sort of super sledgehammer thing?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

What ARE the ways to smash or cut a metal door? Do I need explosives or can I build some sort of super sledgehammer thing?

Explosives, acetylene torch, vehicle.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Reminder that no matter the question in Cataclysm, you can always answer it with fire and lots of it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The official forums are stupidly coy about this and the wiki is even less useful: what's the full progression for getting Mycus mutations? I can get as far as the threshold + mycus feeder but I can't figure out how to get any mutations after that.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The official forums are stupidly coy about this and the wiki is even less useful: what's the full progression for getting Mycus mutations? I can get as far as the threshold + mycus feeder but I can't figure out how to get any mutations after that.

I think you need marloss berries?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

Reminder that no matter the question in Cataclysm, you can always answer it with fire and lots of it.

As long as your fire is fueled with dynamite.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Hmmm. I'm supposing a set of Heavy Survivor Armor, boots, and such is sufficient? I COULD line it with more Kevlar.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CheeseThief posted:

I think you need marloss berries?

I'm like five steps ahead of that. Once you get Mycus Feeder you can't eat marloss anything any more.

Unless you mean doing something with them besides eating them?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

As long as your fire is fueled with dynamite.

Other way around, your dynamite is lit by fire.
Your acetylene torch? Gas aka fire.
Vehicle? Diesel/Gas sure handles that. Peddling is just fire direct from your burning soul. And well, solar is from the sun, the biggest ball of fire there is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think the mycus path is broken/very poorly implemented at the moment. It's theoretically possible to get other mycus mutations other than mycus feeder from mycus fruit once you're past the threshold, but they're vanishingly rare, and once you get mycus feeder it's either impossible or really hard to get additional mycus mutations beyond that. Plus I don't think there's actually a way to spawn any more mycus fruit once you're post threshold (since you can't eat Marloss berries post threshold you can't spawn any more bushes, and eating mycus fruit itself doesn't spawn any), so mycus feeder dooms you to a slow but eventual starvation unless there's something stupidly obvious I'm missing. If you really want to play around with the mycus mutations just cheat your way into them if you're already post threshold.