Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

this_is_hard posted:

isn't rickon like 4 years old?

Almost a man grown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

someone explain varys=merman to me idgi

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

V. Illych L. posted:

Varys is a merman

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

V. Illych L. posted:

I just googled it and found a reddit where someone copy/pasted it and basically:
He never smiles with his teeth so he's hiding something. Probably spiky teeth like rorge the biter who is a retarded merman. a dumb idiot who is too dumb to sit around all day filing his teeth they are naturally pointy and so is varys. Also littlefinger is from bravos and "has varys in the palm of [his] hand" i.e. he knows his secret (that he's a merman)

I'm tired of remembering this nonsense. google it yourself.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Krinkle posted:

I just googled it and found a reddit where someone copy/pasted it and basically:
He never smiles with his teeth so he's hiding something. Probably spiky teeth like rorge the biter who is a retarded merman. a dumb idiot who is too dumb to sit around all day filing his teeth they are naturally pointy and so is varys. Also littlefinger is from bravos and "has varys in the palm of [his] hand" i.e. he knows his secret (that he's a merman)

Littlefinger owns a ship called the Merling king. Therefore, he is the king of the Merlings

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

this_is_hard posted:

isn't rickon like 4 years old?

He's three years old in book one.ince the books take place over about two and a half years he should be at least five, hanging out with his near feral giant wolf on the island of unicorns and cannibalism,

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

Here is the Preston Jacobs video explaining it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC_mV1IpjWA

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

p.crestmont posted:

Here is the Preston Jacobs video explaining it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC_mV1IpjWA

No no, the one with Varys is this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyFVG4VfPmg

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

My favourite thing about this thread is how it rapidly swings from enthusiastically discussing to nuances of the schemes and plots of the series to declaring GRRM a hack and the worst piece of poo poo on earth.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Theories that are obviously true:
-Aegon is fake.
-Jon is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna.
-Manderlly killed three of the Freys and made their relatives eat them.
-Jon Snow will become a wolf for a while before re-entering his body.
-Robert Strong is the reanimated corpse of the Mountain.
-Alleras the Sphinx is one of the sandsnakes disguised as a boy.
-The Hound is alive and living in a monastery.
-Varys is a merman.

Notice how "Jaqen is Syrio" isn't on this list.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Knuc U Kinte posted:

My favourite thing about this thread is how it rapidly swings from enthusiastically discussing to nuances of the schemes and plots of the series to declaring GRRM a hack and the worst piece of poo poo on earth.

You know it's funny just today I saw an GRRM interview where he makes fun of M Night for going for the "twist" a bit too much. Really good one GRRM, but honestly it also made me realize that he's not that far above and possibly below M NIght's writing skill level, because at least M Night comes up with a new twist every time while GRRM's twist is the same predictable boring thing: "bad ending/good guy dies". Hey let me guess how do the last 2 books end? All the good guys die and it's a bad ending but Tyrion/Sam live. Oops did I solve all the mysteries in one fell swoop? WHoops! What a twist!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Jon is the only stereotype good guy who died, no?

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
Here's the Vary's merman theory:

it SOUNDS like a joke making fun of having complex "theories" about a dumb glistening dragon weenier pants making GBS threads fantasy story that pretended to be mostly good and serious in the first book

But GRRM loves SUBVERTING

Ergo; it is not a joke bc that's being subverted and Varys IS a merman

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

You know it's funny just today I saw an GRRM interview where he makes fun of M Night for going for the "twist" a bit too much. Really good one GRRM, but honestly it also made me realize that he's not that far above and possibly below M NIght's writing skill level, because at least M Night comes up with a new twist every time while GRRM's twist is the same predictable boring thing: "bad ending/good guy dies". Hey let me guess how do the last 2 books end? All the good guys die and it's a bad ending but Tyrion/Sam live. Oops did I solve all the mysteries in one fell swoop? WHoops! What a twist!

GRRM doesn't rely on twists, that's just what your brain focuses on because you're used to reading puerile trash. If you can't see the difference between the way that george and M Night use twists in their stories, you're a big idiot.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Is it the hack or the brilliant writer of 1000 page schemes without a point that relies on fans and wikipedia to keep his own plot straight?

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Does Emily Clark's contract seriously expire next season?

LMAO, I called it. Dany is getting fragged by her own squad.

i just realized how much reading dany's chapters made me hate her, so i hope htis happens

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

mind the walrus posted:

Notice how "Jaqen is Syrio" isn't on this list.

I mean I was just talked out of it by those people making arguments and quotes from the book. I wasn't aware forums posters were a cite-able source.

Someone quote this:
Fat Walda is Arya wearing Hot Pie's corpse as a skin suit.
Whoops I just made it canon by writing it down.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

A Major Fucker posted:

i just realized how much reading dany's chapters made me hate her, so i hope htis happens

I bought that Game of Thrones adventure game in the Steam Sale and she's even more of a big annoying retard.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Tasteful Nude posted:

It's dumb and silly if everyone is a Secret X, though

Jon having magic dragon anime blood is Enough

But maybe GRRM is subverting the trope of characters being the person described in the text, that IS a big trope

i think there's going to be at least one more instance of it besides all the ones that have been confirmed

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

GRRM doesn't rely on twists, that's just what your brain focuses on because you're used to reading puerile trash. If you can't see the difference between the way that george and M Night use twists in their stories, you're a big idiot.

Yeah GRRM likes to do the more trashy comic book twist.

Where a character seems to die but on the next issue (chapter) he is fine and it was all a misunderstanding.

This is also used to great effect in the literary classic series goosebumps.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah GRRM likes to do the more trashy comic book twist.

Where a character seems to die but on the next issue (chapter) he is fine and it was all a misunderstanding.

This is also used to great effect in the literary classic series goosebumps.

When does this happen. Arya in Storm? I can't remember any else.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Jon is the only stereotype good guy who died, no?

No.

Ned was doing the "right" thing in his own particular idiom. He was just a bag of hammers looking for some nails. He should have screwed Cersei and stitched the seven kingdoms together over Robert's steaming corpse.

Also a lot of actually good and innocent people die in war and that's the point gurm was trying to make. Back in 1996.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Knuc U Kinte posted:

When does this happen. Arya in Storm? I can't remember any else.

Davos off the boat. Davos in the hall of manderly, was that all flashback? We thought he had his hands nailed to a wall for a while but I can't remember if he got dungeoned in a PoV.
Arya going blind. Quentin getting burnt. I mean he lived for a little while and died in someone else's chapter. Catlyn's throat getting slit. Brienne getting hanged.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

syscall girl posted:

No.

Ned was doing the "right" thing in his own particular idiom. He was just a bag of hammers looking for some nails. He should have screwed Cersei and stitched the seven kingdoms together over Robert's steaming corpse.

Also a lot of actually good and innocent people die in war and that's the point gurm was trying to make. Back in 1996.

I meant in the last two books.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Krinkle posted:

I read early drafts of star wars where anakin is an old man and he smashes his robot arm on the desk to make a point and I don't think I ever want to read early drafts of things I enjoy again. Thank you for the links to your post but I decline.

it actually sounds better and much more coherent than what we got

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Krinkle posted:

Davos off the boat. Davos in the hall of manderly, was that all flashback? We thought he had his hands nailed to a wall for a while but I can't remember if he got dungeoned in a PoV.
Arya going blind. Quentin getting burnt. I mean he lived for a little while and died in someone else's chapter. Catlyn's throat getting slit. Brienne getting hanged.

I haven't read these books in a while so I did a little poking around. Bran and Rickon is the other one, but most of your examples are lame.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I got carried away and misunderstood the question.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Krinkle posted:

I got carried away and misunderstood the question.

It does seem like he does do a lot of fakeouts though.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZShakespeare posted:

Does anyone have that wall of text that is all the food descriptions from all the books?

i want to see this real bad

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
And killing off characters only to introduce a new carbon copy with a different name. That's not a fakeout but it's kind of the same thing, just done in a different way. But same category or something.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Krinkle posted:

it's cool that if grrm had finished the series in a timely fashion and not wrote stupid twists, preston would be sane

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

And killing off characters only to introduce a new carbon copy with a different name. That's not a fakeout but it's kind of the same thing, just done in a different way. But same category or something.

what specific thing are you talking about

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

I think someone quoted an interview where for GRRM Gandalf's "death" was like a huge moment for him because he remembered how sad he was that Gandalf died, and then how happy he was when it turned out Gandalf wasn't actually dead.

So I think all these dead-not-dead is him trying to recreate Gandalf.

loving American Tolkien

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
GRRM's dead-not-dead is a bloated corpse fished from a river that is all gross and can't speak, a 7 foot tall faceless voodoo zombie, a dude trapped in a bird who will gradually lose his mind, and probably a dude trapped in a direwolf who will gradually lose his mind and the direwolf will always have its mouth slightly open.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

HookShot posted:

I think someone quoted an interview where for GRRM Gandalf's "death" was like a huge moment for him because he remembered how sad he was that Gandalf died, and then how happy he was when it turned out Gandalf wasn't actually dead.

So I think all these dead-not-dead is him trying to recreate Gandalf.

loving American Tolkien

loving Westerners and their Jesus metaphors.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

A Major Fucker posted:

what specific thing are you talking about

Oberyn and Darkstar maybe?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

a dude trapped in a direwolf who will gradually lose his mind and the direwolf will always have its mouth slightly open.

Well, wolves do pant, so it's a natural fit.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Darkstar feels a bit like Oberyn-lite but without the charisma and really incompetent. But the fact that he talks a load of poo poo about how great and dangerous he is and his only act in the book is to try, and fail, to murder a small child makes it come of as a joke. I hope it's intentional.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

FreudianSlippers posted:

Darkstar feels a bit like Oberyn-lite but without the charisma and really incompetent. But the fact that he talks a load of poo poo about how great and dangerous he is and his only act in the book is to try, and fail, to murder a small child makes it come of as a joke. I hope it's intentional.

It's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'm pretty sure GRRM has said that he wrote Darkstar because Oberyn was well-received, so he was intended to be a replacement even if in reality he didn't work too well.