Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Darkstar was meant to capture "Oberyn's magic" being a dornish badboy with mad combat skills and his own shady agenda. Kinda makes you wonder about the GRRM that he thought these two characters were anything alike and that people will dig this idiotic bad cliche of a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

You're all going to look like fools when it's revealed Darkstar's sword went exactly where he meant it.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You're all going to look like fools when it's revealed Darkstar's sword went exactly where he meant it.

Yeah but would it excuse all of his bad lines?

quote:

"How was your piss?" Arianne inquired archly.

"The sands were duly grateful."

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

A Major Fucker posted:

what specific thing are you talking about

Oberyn and Darkstar aren't similar, but the fact that GRRM admits that he tried to recreate Oberyn kind of proves my point. Also Euron = Daario not actually being a plausible theory, yet they are the same character. There is other examples for sure but I dont really feel like going through the books. He has thousands of characters but they are not all that different, there is an X amount of variations that he likes and doesnt change it up much.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Euron is a shady power hungry dude whose into sorcery and spooky poo poo. Daario just wants to gently caress and kill.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah how are they similar idgi. Euron is mysterious, dabbles with wizardry, drinks nightshade and has over the top monologues. Daario is just a cool dude with a magic penis.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Oberyn and Darkstar aren't similar, but the fact that GRRM admits that he tried to recreate Oberyn kind of proves my point. Also Euron = Daario not actually being a plausible theory, yet they are the same character. There is other examples for sure but I dont really feel like going through the books. He has thousands of characters but they are not all that different, there is an X amount of variations that he likes and doesnt change it up much.

Euron and Daario aren't really alike at all though

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Would have owned if the show had Darkstar and he was totally TGTBaTU levels of Clint Eastwood badass, just to twist the knife deeper in the GRRM.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Daario is basically the personification of war and how appealing it would be to just murder all your opponents. I think even Preston Jacobs got that.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah other than being hunky dudes they are pretty much different in any way a character can be different, Euron is cold and calculated and plays a long game, he's also motivated by malice and ambition. Daario is the personification of passion, libido and simple blood lust. There's really nothing more into Daario his sole purpose is to be what Dany wants rather than what she needs, this is even made explicit in the text.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They're similar in that they're both what GRRM wishes he could be.

(That makes them similar to all characters in the series.)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wyman Manderly is the self insert character.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The ever interesting and clever "which fat guy is the GRRM self insert?" discussion. :iamafag:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Tell you what you can self insert

fewer dicks

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I hope wyman manderly's fat protected him from that knife.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The ever interesting and clever "which fat guy is the GRRM self insert?" discussion. :iamafag:

No need to bring his weight into it. I was talking about how he is a very clever and influential man but is underestimated by many people.
I don't see fat I see people.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 20, 2015

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Darkstar was meant to capture "Oberyn's magic" being a dornish badboy with mad combat skills and his own shady agenda. Kinda makes you wonder about the GRRM that he thought these two characters were anything alike and that people will dig this idiotic bad cliche of a character.

Doran calling him "the most dangerous man in Dorne" is funny though. It's so blatantly just GRRM telling us this is true, despite the fact that we have no reason to believe it. It makes Doran look like an idiot too but that's consistent with his character. Why send Areo and Obara after him? Just give Myrcella a sword and tell her to seek vengeance.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah but would it excuse all of his bad lines?

Oh good, hadn't seen this one before. Another badass Darkstar witticism.

Inquired archly? Did GRRM not edit these chapters?

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah how are they similar idgi. Euron is mysterious, dabbles with wizardry, drinks nightshade and has over the top monologues. Daario is just a cool dude with a magic penis.

They are both deliberately mysterious characters. So they must be one person. It's a God in the gaps argument theory based on wishful thinking like Howland Reed = High Septon.

Similarly, Mance Rayder and Rhaegar Targaryen are very similar in ways but that's due to a) laziness or b) drawing a link between two of Jon's father-figures. If Daario and Euron are similar, it might be to show that while the reader thinks Euron will have to rape Dany since she would never go willingly with such a monster, she's infatuated with Daario who's also a monster and even proposed she commit another Red Wedding.

It is an amusingly stupid theory though. Although it started off as 'hey man what if...' people have found 'evidence' in the text for it like Stormcrows=Crow's Eye, Euron saying "men are meat" and Daario saying "you're either a butcher... or meat" and my favourite: Euron sending his Ironborn to infiltrate Oldtown by dying their beards and pretending to be Tyroshi.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kavak posted:

Well, wolves do pant, so it's a natural fit.

Jon couldn't tell if he was warging into Ghost or Ghost was warging into him

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

What exactly is the difference between the mountain clans of the vale and wildlings where it's just intolerable to let people born north of the wall south of it but shagga is feeding peoples manhoods to the goats left and right?

What ever happened to the mountain clans? The guys who come together to oust littlefinger mention the mountain clans growing bold, was that it? Even with lannister steel they're a non entity.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Krinkle posted:

What exactly is the difference between the mountain clans of the vale and wildlings where it's just intolerable to let people born north of the wall south of it but shagga is feeding peoples manhoods to the goats left and right?

People at the wall don't give a gently caress about the mountain clans and people not at the wall don't give a gently caress about the Wildlings.

quote:

What ever happened to the mountain clans? The guys who come together to oust littlefinger mention the mountain clans growing bold, was that it? Even with lannister steel they're a non entity.

They seem to have gone back to raiding the Vale but no one travels there except by boat so it doesn't really matter.

Even odds that they'll be part of some epic finale though.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

computer parts posted:

People at the wall don't give a gently caress about the mountain clans and people not at the wall don't give a gently caress about the Wildlings.

They seem to have gone back to raiding the Vale but no one travels there except by boat so it doesn't really matter.

Even odds that they'll be part of some epic finale though.

The show writers already forgot about them. Littlefinger, Sansa, Brienne, Pod, Ayra and The Hound all managed to walk the route without issue.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well I mean so did GRRM.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Major Fucker posted:

what specific thing are you talking about

drat, dukes got owned by mods.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ague Proof posted:

Doran calling him "the most dangerous man in Dorne" is funny though. It's so blatantly just GRRM telling us this is true

I assumed ( probably incorrectly ) that had much to do with his position combined with his "like to fight, don't give a gently caress" emo attitude. Sort of like the gay blade Lyn "The Cobra" Cobray that littlefinger is in cahoots with. I didn't take it to mean he was necessarily the best fighter or anything. But i agree, GRRM is just telling us its true, and I sort of took his word.

syscall girl posted:

Jon couldn't tell if he was warging into Ghost or Ghost was warging into him

As long as they bang Nymeria while Arya is dreaming of it, I'm OK with either. There is a serious lack of warg-loving going on in this series, but I expect GRRM to correct this in the next book. [Sadly it will be a wildcards book]

I feel sort of bad for the people who named their kids after Nymeria - I mean, loving direwolf just disappeared from the series. Well, I don't feel THAT bad for them. but you know what I mean.

Mujaji
Oct 2, 2004
"The Transformers soundtrack is quite probably the greatest single album in the entire history of recorded music"
Darkstar is Arya on her first real faceless mission it explains his dorkiness at explaining how badass he is and his bad fighting skill. also how he was able to just disappear right afterwards.

Also Ayra is being controlled by the moon and will eat her own arm and is going to be sent to the wall to take Jon's face, then Jon will live in Ghost and Warg into Arya when he needs to breathe through his mouth.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

kcroy posted:

I assumed ( probably incorrectly ) that had much to do with his position combined with his "like to fight, don't give a gently caress" emo attitude. Sort of like the gay blade Lyn "The Cobra" Cobray that littlefinger is in cahoots with. I didn't take it to mean he was necessarily the best fighter or anything. But i agree, GRRM is just telling us its true, and I sort of took his word.

As long as they bang Nymeria while Arya is dreaming of it, I'm OK with either. There is a serious lack of warg-loving going on in this series, but I expect GRRM to correct this in the next book. [Sadly it will be a wildcards book]

I feel sort of bad for the people who named their kids after Nymeria - I mean, loving direwolf just disappeared from the series. Well, I don't feel THAT bad for them. but you know what I mean.

Nymeria didn't disappear from the series. There's talk in the books about this big rear end wolf that is leading a ton of other wolves on a murdering spree across the Westeros countryside. It's heavily implied that Nymeria is that wolf.

So I guess it's even worse because those people who named their child Nymeria named it after a bloodthristy ravenous beast that goes around eating peasants and poo poo

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kcroy posted:

I'm actually having an eye twitch thing after comprehending the Jon/ghost/arya/nymeria stuff

This thread

And this is after I told the gbs thread I thought Grum would have had Myrcella bleed out from her lady parts first as her daddy confessed his love of incest

Then the eyes and the ears, but hey they have a budget

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

kcroy posted:

Varamyr remembers doing it in the ADWD prologue. It's considered an abomination, like eating human flesh as a man or trying to take control of a human (both of which Bran does in the same book).

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

We've been over this.

Wyman Manderly is the Ego
Tyrion Lannister is the Superego
Yezzan Zo Qaggaz, the Yellow Whale is the Id

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

420 Gank Mid posted:

We've been over this.

Wyman Manderly is the Ego
Tyrion Lannister is the Superego
Yezzan Zo Qaggaz, the Yellow Whale is the Id

You got Wyman and Tyrion mixed up. I'd mix Tyrion with Illryio too.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

Doran calling him "the most dangerous man in Dorne" is funny though. It's so blatantly just GRRM telling us this is true, despite the fact that we have no reason to believe it.

He did beat Myrcella in single combat.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

First scene of S6 will be Shireen waking Stannis up from a nightmare followed by
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lW05E2CBJQ

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The stupidity of the Darkstar character is somewhat diminished if you keep the unreliable narrators involved in mind. I guess Doran's statements about Darkstar are as close to real GRRM-confirmation that this guy is dangerous, but everything we learn about him in Arianne's chapters is to be taken with a grain of salt because Arianne is a dummy. It's like thinking Aurane Waters is the most beautiful man in Westeros because drunken stupid Cersei moons over him for three sentences.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ague Proof posted:

Varamyr remembers doing it in the ADWD prologue. It's considered an abomination, like eating human flesh as a man or trying to take control of a human (both of which Bran does in the same book).

I remember, I'm just underwhelmed... the set up is there man, go for it! Good point about Bran. I'm guessing he is gonna go 3/3 before this poo poo is over.

Ginette Reno posted:

Nymeria didn't disappear from the series. There's talk in the books about this big rear end wolf that is leading a ton of other wolves on a murdering spree across the Westeros countryside. It's heavily implied that Nymeria is that wolf.

So I guess it's even worse because those people who named their child Nymeria named it after a bloodthristy ravenous beast that goes around eating peasants and poo poo

That is true, but seeing as Nymeria has basically been dropped from the show, and fatfuck won't finish the series... I mean I know I was expecting some sort of big reunion between those two at some point. oh well :(

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The books are a painfully shaggy dog story kcroy. It has been known for nearly half a decade on now that there is no pleasure coming in the end. All we will really have is "poo poo happened and loads of people died. The end." Nymeria is just another loose thread GRRM put on because it's more "real", not because he had any intention of a payoff.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
That fat oval office hasn't self inserted anything in fuckin years

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
When asked about Nymeria coming back and playing a role gurm said "you don't set up a pack of hundreds of wolves wrecking havoc in the river lands if you don't intend to do something with them" or something along those lines.

#twow2016 #iwant2believe

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

The stupidity of the Darkstar character is somewhat diminished if you keep the unreliable narrators involved in mind. I guess Doran's statements about Darkstar are as close to real GRRM-confirmation that this guy is dangerous, but everything we learn about him in Arianne's chapters is to be taken with a grain of salt because Arianne is a dummy. It's like thinking Aurane Waters is the most beautiful man in Westeros because drunken stupid Cersei moons over him for three sentences.

Yeah, one of grrms strengths is rounding out characters through differing perspectives.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
The last book will be published at 1700 pages abd chapter one will be like ten pages long and it's Davos I and it ends with him finding rickon and asking the wolf's name and saying "funny, he's not so shaggy really" and then the next 1690 pages are blank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

emanresu tnuocca posted:

When asked about Nymeria coming back and playing a role gurm said "you don't set up a pack of hundreds of wolves wrecking havoc in the river lands if you don't intend to do something with them" or something along those lines.

site:tvtropes.com 'chekov's roaming pack of wolves'