Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mr. BT posted:

First ever hole-in-one today!

124 yards. Hit the green, rolled... then disappeared. I wasn't for sure until I looked in the cup.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002

Kameh posted:

Hell yeah, dude! Congratulations! Any witnesses? :q:

Only a video I took of me walking up to the hole to see if it was in.

The dialog when I got to the green was:

holy gently caress!
holy poo poo!
holy smokes!
a hole in one!

I already ordered a case for the ball and an 8x10 photo of the above. :)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

Florida golfing people, any of you played the course at the Waldorf Astoria? Gonna take my dad there Sunday to play for Fathers day.

If you mean the one in Orlando, yes. It's a very well-maintained course and some pretty good greens. Pace was really slow one day but I think that was because we were there the day of some big outing. Lot of water to play some fun risk/reward situations as well. You'll both enjoy it.

And CONGRATS MR. BT :toot:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

If you mean the one in Orlando, yes. It's a very well-maintained course and some pretty good greens. Pace was really slow one day but I think that was because we were there the day of some big outing. Lot of water to play some fun risk/reward situations as well. You'll both enjoy it.

And CONGRATS MR. BT :toot:

Yeah that's the one. 10am tee time for $65. Not too bad for a resort type course.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

Yeah that's the one. 10am tee time for $65. Not too bad for a resort type course.

That's a solid rate, yeah. You'll both enjoy it and it's an awesome gift to your dad :greatgift:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Mr. BT posted:

Only a video I took of me walking up to the hole to see if it was in.

The dialog when I got to the green was:

holy gently caress!
holy poo poo!
holy smokes!
a hole in one!

I already ordered a case for the ball and an 8x10 photo of the above. :)

Uh where is that video and congrats :)

We demand proof. Jet fuel can't melt steel beams. Ron Paul 2016.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Mr. BT posted:

First ever hole-in-one today!

124 yards. Hit the green, rolled... then disappeared. I wasn't for sure until I looked in the cup.

You had better bought a round for your group.

(Also, congrats, man. If I ever hit a hole-in-one I'll probably do what you did--get a case, cut out my name in the newspaper in the "hole in ones" section--because it's a hole-in-one, dammit.)

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002

EnsGDT posted:

Uh where is that video and congrats :)

We demand proof. Jet fuel can't melt steel beams. Ron Paul 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGl7ljOJZxQ

minstrels
Nov 15, 2009
Is there a downside to using a mixed set of irons?

I'm a total beginner, just getting into golf and taking a few lessons and after the £20 used set of Dunlop 65i breaking on me (7 iron head flew off on the range) I'm thinking I'd probably be worth investing in a cheap used set of some decent clubs.

Found a mixed set of Mizuno MX15s and Ping G2s for sale for £35, 3-9 iron with 3-7 being Mizuno and 7-9 being Ping (plus a Ping 6 iron that needs reshafted). Would it be worth buying these or would different long and short irons potentially damage my game?

As I already need a 7 iron I was thinking that just buying the Pings might be a good idea, especially as those irons may be my most used clubs. Only playing a local 9 hole par 3 at the moment with the longest hole being 180 yards but the aim is to play a big course eventually.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

As long as the length and lie are relatively similar and the shafts are close in flex across the sets, you'll be fine. Offset should be similar for those 2 sets.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Any of you play with a push cart? I don't walk much since almost all the courses around here are cart-only, but it seems like it'd be a smart investment for my long-term back health if I can find a good model on the cheap.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Any of you play with a push cart? I don't walk much since almost all the courses around here are cart-only, but it seems like it'd be a smart investment for my long-term back health if I can find a good model on the cheap.

Yes, but infrequently. I have a clicgear 3.5+ , but unfortunately those run around $200. If you plan on using something like that regularly, I'd endorse investing in it.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I walk >95% of my rounds and use an Ogio push cart, I like it a lot. Sadly my Ogio bag is a stand bag and isn't compatible with the clip system for the top of the bag on the cart but I just use a rubber strap to prevent it from tipping sideways on hills which does the job fine. I got mine from rockbottomgolf last spring for around $200 I think.

I hurt my back a few years ago while mountain biking and have a few muscles that must not have fully healed. Carrying my bag would always aggravate it, pushing the cart doesn't unless I'm playing a ton and try to swing too hard on too many shots.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm kinda in the same boat as you; I might splurge on a really nice cart soon. I played around with this cart in a Golfsmith. $180 base price, pivoting front wheel, folds down to a 20" cube 30" x 17" x 22" rectangular prism, and it's got a lot of add-ons like a seat, umbrella holder, smart phone case, and more.

http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30...EgS-hoCszDw_wcB

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

I'm kinda in the same boat as you; I might splurge on a really nice cart soon. I played around with this cart in a Golfsmith. $180 base price, pivoting front wheel, folds down to a 20" cube 30" x 17" x 22" rectangular prism, and it's got a lot of add-ons like a seat, umbrella holder, smart phone case, and more.

http://www.golfsmith.com/product/30...EgS-hoCszDw_wcB

This all looks awesome but a seat? How? Because I will be all over that poo poo :stare:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
So there's a storage bin on the side that's wide enough to sit on, but I don't know if it's capable of supporting your weight.

However, a friend has a ClicGear that has a seat attachment, and in searching, I found this: http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/bag-boy-golf-cart-seat.html

In the comments, it says it fits the Tour Trek 1 Click cart. So I dunno!

Kameh fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 18, 2015

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

Josh Lyman posted:

I had no idea cart-only was a thing that existed in the world. That is horrible. I walk every round unless someone I'm with insists on a cart, but I find cart golfing incredibly silly.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
"courses" that are real estate developments first and golf courses second maximize acreage for houses by spreading the gently caress out of the holes and including glorious 2 mile hikes* on concrete between tee boxes. At least in California that's how it works.

*might as well be

example: http://salesarchitect.exsquared.com/SiteOverview?partnerID=7&siteID=33

also, the LPGA actually played tour stops at two of these courses back in the 90's but only once at Lincoln where it's 100's of yards between some of the holes and there were tons of complaints and they refused to come back.

shitloads of courses set up the same way all over Nevada/Arizona too.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 18, 2015

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I don't think I've played one course like that in California.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
That, and courses with huge elevation changes AND long walks in between holes.

I've played a few courses that were cart only because not only is there a couple 100 yards in between holes, but it's also a large increase in elevation.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
The "18 of the tour's greatest collection of holes" course in the area refuses to allow walkers. Rounds are typically 4:45.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Nichol posted:

I had no idea cart-only was a thing that existed in the world. That is horrible. I walk every round unless someone I'm with insists on a cart, but I find cart golfing incredibly silly.

I can't think of a course anywhere near me in central florida that allows walkers. No one wants to walk when it's 100 degrees with 100% humidity here, gently caress that would be miserable.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
What annoyed me most about my trip to Scottsdale is that McCormick Ranch is perfectly walkable -- dead flat, short walks from green to tee -- but they were like, "Nope, you have to have a cart."

Meanwhile Poppy Hills has two long walks to the 10th and 17th tees, pretty substantial elevation changes, but if you want to walk 36 holes in a day, be their guest! Of course it would be politically incorrect for the NCGA to run their course otherwise.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
I have a Clickgear 3.0+ and loooooove it. If you buy one, make sure to get the seat accessory and the cooler that hangs between the rear wheels.

Oh hey guys, since I'm an NCGA member, I just got an email for our super duper discount at Pebble Beach.

:rolleyes:

I'm actually playing down in Monterey on Saturday, but I'm playing at Laguna Seca for $40 instead.

UnionCarbide fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 18, 2015

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
Playing Bali Hai in Vegas this weekend.

Can't wait!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Let us know what you think about Bali Hai after you play it. I've heard lots of mixed reviews. Oh, and enjoy the 112* heat this weekend in Vegas!

As far as push carts go, I bought a nice one when it was on super sale at TGW.com or something like that for $95 two years ago. I walk every round I play, unless the course forbids it, and it's been 1000% worth it (and still would have been at 2x the price).

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Tiger Woods tied for 142nd 153rd at +7 + 10 through 13 holes. +13 is the score for the current last place finisher at 156th.

Edit: The 15 year old kid shot 77 and is at +7.

daslog fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 19, 2015

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Two Illini golfers in the top 25 (still couldn't win an NCAA championship).

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
Woods and Fowler are hosed on this one.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Nichol posted:

Agreed for flat courses. Although if you were to see the terrain at my home course then I totally understand why noone turns up when it's too wet for carts to operate :)

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Smashed my goal for the year of breaking 50 with a 46 (+11) :unsmith:

Previous best was 56 I think and the round before this I think I scored a 64. A lot of things coming together and lots of practice. I'm curious what people think of The Keys to the Effortless Golf Swing which is basically my golf bible at this point. This has been my first year of taking golf somewhat seriously (3 rounds last year, maybe one range session, prior to that I hadn't picked up a club in 10 years). Since I started becoming interested in improving in the winter I began with reading (I live in the frozen north, no golfing til spring). I really wanted to start with a very natural swing before getting into the weeds with complicated movements which is what attracted me to Effortless (the name and positive Amazon reviews). I'm basically on a continuous cycle of reading it.

What I like about it is it tries to remove a lot of the thinking during the swing. You establish a good setup and then focus on letting the lower body drive the swing. My swing flaw was (and still is I suppose) letting my arms control everything so Effortless really got to the heart of what I was doing wrong and gave me some simple drills to feel what a golf swing is supposed to be.

Edit: Also a :lol: from a guy trying to teach (it might have been a lesson based on how they were talking) at the range yesterday: "I'm of the opinion that anyone with a handicap of 10 or higher cannot possibly strengthen their grip too much". Followed by him continually reminding this dude to keep strengthening his grip until the guy was complaining of wrist pain.

Summit fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 19, 2015

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears

Nerdrock posted:

Yes, but infrequently. I have a clicgear 3.5+ , but unfortunately those run around $200. If you plan on using something like that regularly, I'd endorse investing in it.

I started using that same cart last year. The older I get the worse my left shoulder gets from a couple dislocations I got from playing football. I would definitely recommend the Clicgear 3.5 to anyone looking for a cart. They are very easy to fold and unfold and have a bunch of attachments you can purchase. I ended up getting the cooler for mine. When I bought mine from Dick's Sporting Goods it was the only cart there that had the brake on the handle instead of a little push button on the wheels.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I had a real shot at breaking 100 today. I hit 50 on the front 9 and was sitting at 33 with 3 holes left. Bogey Bogey Double Bogey and I would have been there. I even had a 4 putt and 3 putt on the back 9. I never four putt. I was feeling like I had a shot and then it the bottom fell out. It was pouring. Still, I now know I can break 100. It will happen soon, maybe the next time I play.

My ball striking has really improved with my lessons. My aim/alignment is pretty bad. I think I can fix this pretty easily.

Halo14 I did your preshot routine and it is nice to do the same thing every time. Thanks for the idea.

On carts, I have an old Sun Mountain Pushcart my dad gave me since he quit using it. I like it a lot. It has inflatable tires. The new ones have hard plastic. I am not sure why they switched, that seems worse to me. My theory is most people probably break it out like 2 times a year so ever time they had to pump the tires which lead to a bunch of complaints.

VVV That makes sense. My thoughts were mostly inflatable tires are better one basically everything else in the world so why would they be worse for a golf cart.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 20, 2015

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Ribsauce posted:

On carts, I have an old Sun Mountain Pushcart my dad gave me since he quit using it. I like it a lot. It has inflatable tires. The new ones have hard plastic. I am not sure why they switched, that seems worse to me. My theory is most people probably break it out like 2 times a year so ever time they had to pump the tires which lead to a bunch of complaints.

The solid plastic tires are way better than inflatable ones. They're perfectly suitable for traversing a golf course, are lighter, and require no maintenance. They're virtually impossible to break.

Every guy I know who has a push cart with inflatable tires hates them because they constantly have to be inflated and can puncture/need replacement/etc.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Ribsauce posted:

I had a real shot at breaking 100 today. I hit 50 on the front 9 and was sitting at 33 with 3 holes left. Bogey Bogey Double Bogey and I would have been there. I even had a 4 putt and 3 putt on the back 9. I never four putt. I was feeling like I had a shot and then it the bottom fell out. It was pouring. Still, I now know I can break 100. It will happen soon, maybe the next time I play.

My ball striking has really improved with my lessons. My aim/alignment is pretty bad. I think I can fix this pretty easily.

Halo14 I did your preshot routine and it is nice to do the same thing every time. Thanks for the idea.

I'm glad it has helped.

Regarding alignment, do your pre-shot routine taking your normal stance and then put a club down so that it's touching the toes of both feet. Step back and look at where the club is pointing. I do this every so often and find that I might be aiming ~5-10 meters right of the target so I adjust accordingly.

minstrels
Nov 15, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

As long as the length and lie are relatively similar and the shafts are close in flex across the sets, you'll be fine. Offset should be similar for those 2 sets.

Turns out the Pings are white dot, for someone 6'0 to 6'7, and I'm 5'5.

Going to buy the Mizunos and grab an 8 and 9 iron when I can.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
108 today. I'm back to sucking. It's more aggravating because I hit balls at the range all week and did well. Highlights include

-Slicing the Driver 4 times
-Hooking the 4 Hybrid 5 times
-Numerous thin and fat shots.

F this game.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

daslog posted:

108 today. I'm back to sucking. It's more aggravating because I hit balls at the range all week and did well. Highlights include

-Slicing the Driver 4 times
-Hooking the 4 Hybrid 5 times
-Numerous thin and fat shots.

F this game.

Just a follow up.

I went to the driving range, and proceeded to get good exercise while topping or skulling an entire basket. Scheduled a lesson for 7:30 AM Monday.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

What's a good drill for follow-through? I feel as if I have a mental block with it, like after I hit the ball I want to stop movement and have my club out in front of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

shyduck posted:

What's a good drill for follow-through? I feel as if I have a mental block with it, like after I hit the ball I want to stop movement and have my club out in front of me.

A weighted club (or swinging two clubs) can help you get the feel for following fully through and getting your hands high