Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Why's there this assumption that every time a game gets released, it's going to be the same one as the last with a new coat of paint even as each one is noticeably different?

EA and Call of Duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anita Dickinme posted:

EA and Call of Duty.

Which did not make Fallout and are thus not really relevant to discussions of Bethesda's merits.

epicaricacy
Jan 19, 2015

These trailers have never make me want to drink the poop water and get rad poisoning more than I want it now.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

In the case of Bethesda the new game is like the old one but with more mechanics removed.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Seriously though, it honestly feels like Bethesda is the only gaming company that cares with each game and doesn't just spit out a new skin of a game every year for $$$.

Each Bethesda game is noticeably better than the last, so since they work on their games for years at a time maybe people forget?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Noctis Horrendae posted:

You guys realize there aren't going to be paid mods, right?
Working link to Forbes article
As the article itself points out, the "no plans" line is a typical non-committal corporate one.
Howard & Bethesda aren't idiots. The pay-for-mods test run caused a fairly large poo poo storm. They know that if they announce another attempt at getting pay-for-mod of the ground at any point before FO4's release, they'll get another poo poo storm. One that will affect how FO4 will be received. I doubt that it would significantly affect pre-order numbers. But it will put FO4 negatively in the news, and that's something they'll want to avoid.

If Bethesda is going to try it again, it will be announced shortly before FO4's toolset is released in early 2016.
And let's be honest here: It's pretty darn likely they will try it again. Sure, their Skyrim attempt was a PR nightmare. But it was successful. People bought mods. And Bethesda got money without them having to do anything. That's an awesome position to be in. Heck, if I were a Bethesda corporate suit, I'd try it again.
I will be happy if I'm wrong, but the Bethesda.net announcement wasn't a good sign.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 21, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

marktheando posted:

Yeah the level scaling was done pretty well in Skyrim, so I'm confident it will be decent in Fallout 4. Fallout 3 though, jesus christ. Unloading clip after clip into overpowered radscorpions. Or those glass-armoured bandits in Oblivion.

Are you kidding? Skyrim was literally the embodiment of all the reasons why level scaling is a terrible idea. Everything would eventually turn into a bullet sponge, and to make things worse some skill paths, such as most of the magic trees, scaled up slower than the AI levelling algorithm, leading to a really tedious experience with a generous serving of enemies who could one-shot you. I honestly don't remember another game that would even approach the lack of optimized level progression of Skyrim.

And of course, you had plenty of glass armored bandits in Skyrim as well.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Anita Dickinme posted:

Each Bethesda game is noticeably better than the last, so since they work on their games for years at a time maybe people forget?

On the other hand Skyrim isn't as good as Oblivion and Oblivion isn't as good as Morrowind, so if you think about it it's sort of like the opposite of what you said. The level of polish and fidelity increases, sure, but historically they've stripped systems from their sequels and reduced the amount of meaningful content.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Are you kidding? Skyrim was literally the embodiment of all the reasons why level scaling is a terrible idea. Everything would eventually turn into a bullet sponge, and to make things worse some skill paths, such as most of the magic trees, scaled up slower than the AI levelling algorithm, leading to a really tedious experience with a generous serving of enemies who could one-shot you. I honestly don't remember another game that would even approach the lack of optimized level progression of Skyrim.

Sounds like a console scrub didn't have the three mods that made magic badass.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Fish Fry Andy posted:

On the other hand Skyrim isn't as good as Oblivion and Oblivion isn't as good as Morrowind, so if you think about it it's sort of like the opposite of what you said. The level of polish and fidelity increases, sure, but historically they've stripped systems from their sequels and reduced the amount of meaningful content.

What? Morrowind is a pain in the rear end to play, at least Oblivion improved on that, and Skyrim made it even better

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Anita Dickinme posted:

Sounds like a console scrub didn't have the three mods that made magic badass.

I didn't bother modding Skyrim because it wasn't really interesting enough to warrant the effort.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

steinrokkan posted:

Really? In all my playthroughs I would really only ever find people wearing a mix of iron and leather or crappy intro robes. Very, very rarely would they be wearing or using anything of a higher tier. I also found it had a lot less bullet spongey bullshit than Fallout 3 and its DLC did. Fighting dragons did get old after a while though, it was mostly just running around looking at the sky and waiting for it to land so you could wail away while it breathed fire in your face. There are other tactics, sure, but they take time and I just wanted to explore, not run around looking at the sky.

I also don't know what was in Oblivion that was removed for Skyrim except for the bullshit mix/max'ing level and skill system that lead to even more tedious level scaling issues. So far it looks like they've added quite a few features to FO4 that were not in 3, and as for the skills, I keep hearing different rumours so I'll just have to wait and see. Or scream about it for the next 5 months, whatever.

Back on the topic of Fallout 4 - I wonder if you can run out of your house in the intro sequence or if you're somehow fenced in. It would be cool to run around the world of before and see the sights but I sincerely doubt they went through the trouble of modeling and placing everything twice. Would be cool though if you could run around for a bit before the nukes fell anyway and you got vaporized while your family died alone.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Fair enough. I was too young to ever grasp the complicated systems of Morrowind and Oblivion was alright but I never modded it to play its true potential. So to me it is Skyrim > Oblivion > Morrowind*.But the Shivering Isles was probably the best thing ever made.

*Don't hate me for being young. :ohdear:

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 21, 2015

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Anita Dickinme posted:

Seriously though, it honestly feels like Bethesda is the only gaming company that cares with each game and doesn't just spit out a new skin of a game every year for $$$.

I get what you're saying, but that's hyperbolic as hell. For every Ubisoft out there, there's a CD Projekt or Rockstar that takes forever to make excellent games. It seems like it's almost entirely Ubi, Activision, and 2K/EA's sports games that are doing that poo poo these days.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Look I get that people really, really love Morrowind but trying to pass Oblivion off as better than Skyrim is just silly.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I played Oblivion and Skyrim a lot, and after that I went to check what the fuss Morrowind was about and good lord how annoying the gameplay was, miss hitting a mudcrab 20+ times and no Fast Travel? Stopped playing after reaching Balmora since there was no quest markers

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

frajaq posted:

What? Morrowind is a pain in the rear end to play, at least Oblivion improved on that, and Skyrim made it even better

They all have poo poo combat, every single one of them. On the other hand, Morrowind has the most going for it outside of its combat by a significant margin. If you can handle the fact that it's a game from 2001 and looks like it then it's better than the newer two games in almost every regard. Morrowind has the most quests, most factions, the largest variety of skills and weapons, and in my opinion the most interesting setting. The lack of level scaling also offers a good sense of progression.

Walrus Pete posted:

Look I get that people really, really love Morrowind but trying to pass Oblivion off as better than Skyrim is just silly.

I can't think of anything that Skyrim does better than Oblivion on a mechanical level.

Anita Dickinme posted:

Fair enough. I was too young to ever grasp the complicated systems of Morrowind and Oblivion was alright but I never modded it to play its true potention. So to me it is Skyrim > Oblivion > Morrowind*.But the Shivering Isles was probably the best thing ever made.

*Don't hate me for being young. :ohdear:

Morrowind does a really poor job of explaining what fatigue does, which is probably the #1 issue most people run into with the game, especially its combat.

Always have max fatigue.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 21, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Really? In all my playthroughs I would really only ever find people wearing a mix of iron and leather or crappy intro robes.

Yes, I believe it depends on faction alignment. Characters assigned to the main factions would wear crappy uniforms from the list of available faction clothing, while the more generic bandits, assassins etc. would spawn with full glass sets.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Walrus Pete posted:

I get what you're saying, but that's hyperbolic as hell. For every Ubisoft out there, there's a CD Projekt or Rockstar that takes forever to make excellent games. It seems like it's almost entirely Ubi, Activision, and 2K/EA's sports games that are doing that poo poo these days.

Yeah, sorry. I should have put a disclaimer somewhere that I'm not really a huge gamer and don't really know all the game companies.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Fallout 4: At least the combat is a C+

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
So how big is fallout shelter anyway, it's failed to download 4 times on me now. So either the Apple store is hosed (which hey, could happen) or I need more than 3gb free. Any ideas which?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, I believe it depends on faction alignment. Characters assigned to the main factions would wear crappy uniforms from the list of available faction clothing, while the more generic bandits, assassins etc. would spawn with full glass sets.

Even then I would still run across bandits on the road and in mines and crap wearing only the low tier stuff. Made upgrading equipment a bit of a pain but fortunately money really isn't an issue so you can just buy it once merchants begin stocking higher level stuff.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

frajaq posted:

I played Oblivion and Skyrim a lot, and after that I went to check what the fuss Morrowind was about and good lord how annoying the gameplay was, miss hitting a mudcrab 20+ times and no Fast Travel? Stopped playing after reaching Balmora since there was no quest markers

Skyrim is certainly a better game than Morrowind, mechanically, which ironically makes the surviving design flaws all that more jarring.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Even then I would still run across bandits on the road and in mines and crap wearing only the low tier stuff. Made upgrading equipment a bit of a pain but fortunately money really isn't an issue so you can just buy it once merchants begin stocking higher level stuff.

I don't know, I remember running into plenty of guys with ridiculously expensive equipment. Maybe it was less pronounced than in Oblivion, but it was by no means eliminated. Though to be fair - New Vegas was even worse about it, with random tribals and raiders wearing top of the line equipment once you passed a certain level threshold.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

frajaq posted:

Morrowind does have a number of issues, but it's the only TES game I personally enjoy playing because it's the only one with anything particularly interesting. The quests are mostly boring Bethesda fare, but the overall setting and lore and the main plot (a real shocker) are actually pretty interesting. That makes Morrowind infinitely more fun and interesting than the more polished, but much shallower Oblivion/Skyrim.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I can't think of anything that Skyrim does better than Oblivion on a mechanical level.

I'd say the combat is better, but obviously not by much. It also, uh, crashes less? :v:

It looks better even if you just compare them to their contemporaries, has a more interesting setting, a more interesting plot (barely), and doesn't do anything worse than Oblivion that I can think of. It also doesn't practically require you to manipulate the leveling/scaling system in order to not eventually gimp your character. e: also it replaces tedious, annoying oblivion gates with dragons, which can be annoying but don't last long enough to be tedious.

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 21, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Walrus Pete posted:

I'd say the combat is better, but obviously not by much. It also, uh, crashes less? :v:

It looks better even if you just compare them to their contemporaries, has a more interesting setting, a more interesting plot (barely), and doesn't do anything worse than Oblivion that I can think of. It also doesn't practically require you to manipulate the leveling/scaling system in order to not eventually gimp your character. e: also it replaces tedious, annoying oblivion gates with dragons, which can be annoying but don't last long enough to be tedious.

I'm mostly basing my opinions on things like this:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Fighters_Guild#Fighters_Guild_Quests
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Fighters_Guild#Quests
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Companions#Quests

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Please people who love Morrowind are just chumps who never played Daggerfall.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i could see how somebody would think skyrim was better than morrowind especially if skyrim was your first elder scrolls. but i cant see any possible way how a dumb tard would like oblivion more than morrowind. like i see no thing that oblivion does better

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SirDan3k posted:

Please people who love Morrowind are just chumps who never played Daggerfall.

Daggerfall is kinda bad. It's as awkward to play as Ultima Underworld, but with not much interesting to go for it.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

if you didnt play arena on launch day get the mother gently caress out of this thread

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Blue Raider posted:

like i see no thing that oblivion does better

Well, I could swing a sword and hit something on my first try :shobon:

I should probably try Morrowind again, this time following a character making guide

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Blue Raider posted:

i could see how somebody would think skyrim was better than morrowind especially if skyrim was your first elder scrolls. but i cant see any possible way how a dumb tard would like oblivion more than morrowind. like i see no thing that oblivion does better

Oblivion is more immediately approachable and understandable than Morrowind, which goes a long way. I'm perfectly aware that Morrowind is way better than Oblivion, but I still can't bring myself to play it because of the combat. I'd probably love it if I had played it in its time, though.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

frajaq posted:

I should probably try Morrowind again, this time following a character making guide

just bite the bullet until about lvl 3. thats pretty much the end of your complaint.

the first time i played it i had the same gripe with it. i went back like a year later and kept playing and it clicked big time. people hate oblivion so much because it followed morrowind

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

frajaq posted:

I'm gonna tell you what I tell every rookie: make either a Wood Elf archer, a Redguard longsword wielder, or a Breton wizard and either mod it so you don't lose stamina via running or drink up some stamina potions after running because if that poo poo's low, you're hosed.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

frajaq posted:

1. Make sure the skills you want to base around are not the ones you choose at the start
2. Tie a rubberband around your controller
3. Run into a corner
3a. Jump, if you wanna run wild with it
4. Go make tea
5. Level up!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

frajaq posted:

Here is how to play Morrowind: realize that your fatigue level is basically your percentage chance to successfully perform any action, and then only use weapons or magic schools that you have set as primary attributes.

You should be able to easily kill mud crabs at level 1 if you are going in with a primary tagged weapon and max endurance.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

also dont go pure mage in morrowind. especially not first try. just use longblade as a major skill for your sanity

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Walrus Pete posted:

Oblivion is more immediately approachable and understandable than Morrowind, which goes a long way. I'm perfectly aware that Morrowind is way better than Oblivion, but I still can't bring myself to play it because of the combat. I'd probably love it if I had played it in its time, though.

This is a huge thing when you're ten (like I was) playing your first real big kid game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Level scaling is the worst video game mechanic and I despise that bethesda keeps using it. I don't want these zombies and bandits to get stronger, devs. Please, the hero of the world shouldn't struggle to fight with bandits. When my character is level fifty bandits should just explode when I throw fireballs at them or whatever, not tank it to the face then kill me in one hit. Introducing new, stronger enemies as I level up is fine but if it's just Stronger Bandit then it makes the game feel less interesting. like in Fallout 3 where the biggest threat wasn't some crazy robot or a mutant or anything. But a scorpion. Also dogs, for some reason dogs in the fallout 3 wasteland are ridiculously strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nuebot posted:

Level scaling is the worst video game mechanic and I despise that bethesda keeps using it. I don't want these zombies and bandits to get stronger, devs. Please, the hero of the world shouldn't struggle to fight with bandits. When my character is level fifty bandits should just explode when I throw fireballs at them or whatever, not tank it to the face then kill me in one hit. Introducing new, stronger enemies as I level up is fine but if it's just Stronger Bandit then it makes the game feel less interesting. like in Fallout 3 where the biggest threat wasn't some crazy robot or a mutant or anything. But a scorpion. Also dogs, for some reason dogs in the fallout 3 wasteland are ridiculously strong.

Oh no. this Draugr Warlord is such a unique challenge, it is surely a challenge that makes for a memorable conclusion to the first major dungeon!

*10 hours later*

Oh no another dozen Draugr Warlords, this will take two more hours of chipping away their health bar, gently caress this lovely game.

• Locked thread