Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Just cause 2:
what weapons/vehicles do I want to max?
Whats the best source of ammo other than buying guns/going back to a stronghold? I never seem to find any

Pillars of eternity:
What kind of main character builds are fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

For Just Cause 2 look up the BOLO patch/mod. Besides some quality of life changes for the rope, it also allows you for unlimited ammo. The black market prices for weapons are dumb as hell.

Also, I'd recommend upgrading the small helicopter that doesn't have any weapons. It gets seriously fast when upgraded, making it a good way to get around.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Real hurthling! posted:

Pillars of eternity:
The classes not covered by companions are rogue, monk, and barbarian, so if you like those and don't want to recruit dialogue-less dudes, one of those is the one to pick.

The companions available earliest are wizard, fighter, priest, and chanter, in that order.

My first guy was a wizard and then I restarted as a druid, and I gotta say, druid owns. It really owns.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I REALLY don't recommend starting as a wizard. They get pretty strong late game, but they are a real chore to play early. If you play one you'll be 8-10 hrs in before they finally start to pick up steam.

both druid and ciphers are extremely strong, with rogues a close third.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

owl_pellet posted:

In addition to the graphics and sound updates, is there a recommended unofficial patch for bug fixes? Preferably that is easy to install like MGSO is?

If it's not already included in MGSO, definitely look up the Morrowind Code Patch. In addition to fixing bugs that were hardcoded into the game's executable, you can also get many quality-of-life improvements (such as the ability to toggle sneaking or cast magic with a weapon out). It's also customizable, so if you want to preserve some mechanics you can do so.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

C-Euro posted:

If it's not already included in MGSO, definitely look up the Morrowind Code Patch. In addition to fixing bugs that were hardcoded into the game's executable, you can also get many quality-of-life improvements (such as the ability to toggle sneaking or cast magic with a weapon out). It's also customizable, so if you want to preserve some mechanics you can do so.

Fortunately, MCP is bundled in with MGSO. A lot of the bug fixes and quality-of-life fixes are invaluable.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
How about World of Tanks? I have some premium currency from a Humble Bundle, but don't know what the hell I'm doing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Real hurthling! posted:

Pillars of eternity:

Monk is a pretty micromanagement-active class, and so are the casters. I had a lot of fun with a Cipher, and I personally didn't care for the Cipher companion you get so it worked out pretty well.

Stay away from Fighter. They're overwhelmingly powerful and can take on half a dozen strong enemies by themselves, but they're a very "sit around and watch them take 0 damage" class.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

Monk is a pretty micromanagement-active class, and so are the casters. I had a lot of fun with a Cipher, and I personally didn't care for the Cipher companion you get so it worked out pretty well.

Stay away from Fighter. They're overwhelmingly powerful and can take on half a dozen strong enemies by themselves, but they're a very "sit around and watch them take 0 damage" class.

Are paladins any good/fun?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

paco650 posted:

MGSO is loving great and I heartily recommend it. The only thing I hated more than vanilla Morrowind was the imagined effort of having to mod it into playability, and MGSO made it super painless and handholdy to install and have just work.

By 'playability' do you mean technical improvements or making the game more user-friendly? Because I heard its mysterious and hard, and that's why I bought it. And will it increase the system requirements much? My computer isn't very good.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 19, 2015

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Count Chocula posted:

By 'playability' do you mean technical improvements or making the game more user-friendly? Because I heard its mysterious and hard, and that's why I bought it. And will it increase the system requirements much? My computer isn't very good.

A lot of the former and a few of the later, but essentially all of it is opt-in. It's possible to crank it up graphically to the point where it'll chug on any reasonable computer, but during the installation it outlines which graphical improvements do what and how much they'll impact your performance. It's even color-coded; I picked the nice-looking Green (low-impact) options and came out just fine, and my set up is going on 5+ years old.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

paco650 posted:

A lot of the former and a few of the later, but essentially all of it is opt-in. It's possible to crank it up graphically to the point where it'll chug on any reasonable computer, but during the installation it outlines which graphical improvements do what and how much they'll impact your performance. It's even color-coded; I picked the nice-looking Green (low-impact) options and came out just fine, and my set up is going on 5+ years old.

The Code Patch does something similar, every tweak is opt-in and each has a little blurb you can read to tell you what it does. I think they're also categorized into stuff like Engine Fixes, Gameplay Tweaks, etc.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Mierenneuker posted:

For Just Cause 2 look up the BOLO patch/mod. Besides some quality of life changes for the rope, it also allows you for unlimited ammo. The black market prices for weapons are dumb as hell.

Also, I'd recommend upgrading the small helicopter that doesn't have any weapons. It gets seriously fast when upgraded, making it a good way to get around.

I agree with this, I highly recommend making making ammo unlimited and considering making vehicles free on the black market. JC2 is about mayhem and chaos and explosions, not reloading. The game's difficulty is kind of its own thing anyways so it's not like ammo conservation is even supposed to be a problem, there's just no point to it.

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

paco650 posted:

Is there any reason to go for Morrowind over Skyrim? How much has this game aged?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Largejaroalmonds posted:

Is there any reason to go for Morrowind over Skyrim? How much has this game aged?
No, and terribly.

People's love for morrorwind are nostalgic and viewed through rose-colored glasses. It was game breaking for it's time, but in terms of modern game design, it really hasn't held up at all unless you are already married to a janky-rear end open world game with game mechanics that can be bent over your knee.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
To be fair? Morrowind has a lot of cool stuff going on with its politics and open world and attention to detail that Oblivion and Skyrim just don't. That doesn't make the gameplay bits in between those events any less clumsy, but for some people, that's enough.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Largejaroalmonds posted:

Actually, there totally is contrary to what Bhodi said.

Yes, Morrowind is much older (OG xbox graphics) but its much more original. Morrowind has unique flavor throughout the whole game. Its a very interesting unique setting with a bunch of weird-rear end poo poo going on.

Oblivion by comparison is super boring ultra generic fantasy. Skyrim is the same thing for the most part, only being slightly more interesting because it apes some Viking style.

Better yet though, go here: https://tesrenewal.com/

Its not completely done yet, but people are porting Morrowind into the Skyrim engine. Best of both worlds. You need to own both for it to work, though.

E: Looks like they took the download down, that's lame. Well, in the future that should be an option eventually? :shrug:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Any advice on Blackguards

I feel this game is kicking my rear end.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Poison Mushroom posted:

To be fair? Morrowind has a lot of cool stuff going on with its politics and open world and attention to detail that Oblivion and Skyrim just don't. That doesn't make the gameplay bits in between those events any less clumsy, but for some people, that's enough.

That's an accurate summary, I think. It's definitely a very unique and interesting setting that's a lot of fun to get invested in, but the gameplay itself is very old and clunky.

If the game is cheap there's really no harm in checking it out, but be prepared to wrestle with some old school gameplay mechanics like:

-Limited fast travel
-Running draining stamina, so you can't do it perpetually (you can enchant items to get around this, but it's extra work to accomplish a thing that most games are smart enough to just do by default)
-Your ability to hit your target with your weapon is determined by an accuracy stat, so there's a lot of running up to a target and whiffing despite the fact that you're clearly hitting it
-Each melee weapon is capable of different moves (i think thrust, slash, chop?), however, each weapon is strongest with just one type of move, so there's no reason to ever do any of the others
-Mana doesn't regenerate automatically, you have to either rest or drink potions constantly if you want to cast spells

And probably a bunch of other stuff I'm not remembering. Another thing the game does is that for the most part, when you get a quest, they won't mark the objective on your map, you have to find it yourself. For some people this is a good thing, because it makes the game more immersive; instead of just following the dots, you have to actually pay attention to the directions people give you and pay attention to the game world, which is a nice idea, but it does result in a lot of dawdling around for 10 minutes because you took a left at the wrong hut and got lost (and remember that you can't run constantly).

It's a matter of taste, honestly. No reason not to check it out, just get ready to play an old game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Largejaroalmonds posted:

im glad goons are still wrestling with their insane inability to comprehend or imagine finding something enjoyable that was made before 2009

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Ainsley McTree posted:

From what I played with the NPC one, they're neither. Lots of encounter powers but none are that interesting or effective.

One perk of playing Cipher (aside from the class being great) is that you get a lot of unique dialogue options, including some that affect side quest outcomes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Sorry, can't be any help here. I never used any Paladins, but there's a companion one you get if you wanna try them out later on. She was always benched, though, because she's the race that can't wear helmets and Edér is way funnier than her dour self.

Eldred posted:

One perk of playing Cipher (aside from the class being great)

Yeah, Cipher is just too fun. Open with a 30s knockdown spell, then generate enough Rage MP to cast it again just as everyone's starting to stand up :getin:

Plus they get a couple reliable sources of Raw damage, which ignores all resistances and I don't really recall seeing any sources of it elsewhere.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 19, 2015

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Ainsley McTree posted:

That's an accurate summary, I think. It's definitely a very unique and interesting setting that's a lot of fun to get invested in, but the gameplay itself is very old and clunky.

If the game is cheap there's really no harm in checking it out, but be prepared to wrestle with some old school gameplay mechanics like:

-Limited fast travel
-Running draining stamina, so you can't do it perpetually (you can enchant items to get around this, but it's extra work to accomplish a thing that most games are smart enough to just do by default)
-Your ability to hit your target with your weapon is determined by an accuracy stat, so there's a lot of running up to a target and whiffing despite the fact that you're clearly hitting it
-Each melee weapon is capable of different moves (i think thrust, slash, chop?), however, each weapon is strongest with just one type of move, so there's no reason to ever do any of the others
-Mana doesn't regenerate automatically, you have to either rest or drink potions constantly if you want to cast spells

And probably a bunch of other stuff I'm not remembering. Another thing the game does is that for the most part, when you get a quest, they won't mark the objective on your map, you have to find it yourself. For some people this is a good thing, because it makes the game more immersive; instead of just following the dots, you have to actually pay attention to the directions people give you and pay attention to the game world, which is a nice idea, but it does result in a lot of dawdling around for 10 minutes because you took a left at the wrong hut and got lost (and remember that you can't run constantly).

It's a matter of taste, honestly. No reason not to check it out, just get ready to play an old game.

To get more specific, some of these issues (like combat accuracy and stamina drain) go away after you've gotten some experience under your belt. The first few levels of Morrowind are a slow burn for any character, but things get easier after a little bit.

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

im glad goons are still wrestling with their insane inability to comprehend or imagine finding something enjoyable that was made before 2009

That's quite an extrapolation there. I grew up playing games in DOS during the 80s.
In fact, I DID play Morrowind when it first came out. I was more or less asking if the nostalgia measured up to reality.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

No, but then nothing never ever will.

Morrowind is an interesting thing. Its world is really unique, strange and doesn't ape a lot of stuff from all the usual tolkienian sources. That alone carries it a long way. That said, it is massively janky and genuinely difficult to play (not in a gameplay sense, but in the sense that it's not streamlined and its design is 20 years behind current standards). Some folks actually like this element of it, and if you're able to immerse yourself a bit, it can grant a certain atmosphere to the game. Wandering around the ash wastes without an objective marker and only vague directions, ending up in a dungeon and working your way through it (while getting lost a bunch) only to realize this isn't the place you were meant to go is frustrating, yes, but sometimes kinda cool and is an experience you just don't really get with modern games.

I always recommend giving it a go, with very minimal modding, and seeing how you like it. I play it once every few months and I find I enjoy it a great deal every time, though I can see why others wouldn't. I prefer Morrowind to Skyrim a great deal.

I wonder if I still have my disks. I think I'll dust it off and give it another go.

Largejaroalmonds fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 20, 2015

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Largejaroalmonds posted:

That's quite an extrapolation there. I grew up playing games in DOS during the 80s.
In fact, I DID play Morrowind when it first came out. I was more or less asking if the nostalgia measured up to reality.

No, but then nothing never ever will.

Morrowind is an interesting thing. Its world is really unique, strange and doesn't ape a lot of stuff from all the usual tolkienian sources. That alone carries it a long way. That said, it is massively janky and genuinely difficult to play (not in a gameplay sense, but in the sense that it's not streamlined and its design is 20 years behind current standards). Some folks actually like this element of it, and if you're able to immerse yourself a bit, it can grant a certain atmosphere to the game. Wandering around the ash wastes without an objective marker and only vague directions, ending up in a dungeon and working your way through it (while getting lost a bunch) only to realize this isn't the place you were meant to go is frustrating, yes, but sometimes kinda cool and is an experience you just don't really get with modern games.

I always recommend giving it a go, with very minimal modding, and seeing how you like it. I play it once every few months and I find I enjoy it a great deal every time, though I can see why others wouldn't. I prefer Morrowind to Skyrim a great deal.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Skyrim left me cold, with its boring world and meaningless combat system. So I picked up Morrowind because of all the 'bad' things I heard about it.

What are the essential Fallout 1 & 2 mods? I've got the Fallout Collection on disc - is it easier just to buy it again on Steam?

Edit: Yep, the Steam version runs in high-res and already has mods installed. Same with Morrowind. Just set your monitor to its lowest resolution before running the game or you'll get an error message. You can crank it up in-game.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 20, 2015

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

What am I doing run in Shadowrun Dragonfall? All my guys can't hit a loving thing and they do poo poo damage. The wiki says armor and cover are much more important than in Returns, which is obvious, but I'm not sure what to do about it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

owl_pellet posted:

What am I doing run in Shadowrun Dragonfall? All my guys can't hit a loving thing and they do poo poo damage. The wiki says armor and cover are much more important than in Returns, which is obvious, but I'm not sure what to do about it.
If you're playing the Director's Cut, successful stun grenades/spells/melee attacks will "pop" enemies out of cover and open them up for critical hits. So will flanking shots. It is difficult to do even normal damage against targets in cover.

Sometimes it is easier/more effective to sap all of a particular enemy's AP to force them to sit out a round. While they are dazed from total AP loss they are also basically open to be lit up by your attacks as well.

Based on the above I tend to enjoy playing a mage with area attacks and using powerbolt/flamethrower, where the last tends to be strong enough to still work well against armor.

Armor straight up reduces 1:1 damage so you may want to use attacks that shred it, particularly if you are using attacks that are a succession of weak blows.

As far as accuracy for attacks, you get the best bang for buck by increasing the particular weapon skill you're trying to hit with, although quickness and ranged weapons will help all ranged attacks as well.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ainsley McTree posted:

-Limited fast travel

these are in tons of games released more recently. witcher 3 comes to mind.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Not really the same. Signposts are everywhere in Witcher 3, you're never too far from one. It's been a while since I played Morrowind but I remember there just being a handful of fast travel points scattered around the huge game world, so you had to do some trekking if you wanted to get to/away from somewhere that wasn't near one, no matter how well you'd explored the map.

Sprinting drains stamina in Witcher 3, yes, but a) it regenerates almost instantly if you aren't in combat and b) you can still jog without draining stamina. In Morrowind, your choices were either walk slowly, or run, while draining stamina, which came back slowly, and if you ran into a monster while you were low on stamina then hopefully you brought some food with you.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Movement speed in Morrowind is directly tied to an otherwise useless stat and there are no mounts by default so it's especially egregious. All the fast travel points are directly tied to civilization so you'll find caravans and silt striders outside of settlements and all the settlements are located near the coast leaving a 40-50% chunk of the inner island inaccessible except by foot.

All of this is a testament to how well designed Morrowind is as a world. It has a really intricate system of roads, both man made and created by the volcanic environment, and none of the other games in the series have come close to having such geographical detail. These are the actual directions you get at the start of the game for reaching Balmora. If that doesn't sound appealing then you probably won't enjoy the game!

Regarding combat, there's an option that does the best move for a weapon. You should turn it on and never look back. The whole accuracy thing is odd at first but Morrowind has a weird semi-scaling thing going on. If you can't defeat an enemy with regular weapons, potions, or spells then you're probably not supposed to be there. It also has old school D&D rules where certain enemies can only be harmed by silver/magic so you want a good mix of equipment.

On the other hand, Morrowind features a more robust crafting system than any of the other games. You can become a literal god murdering diety once you nail down enchanting. Boots that make you run 50mph or binding weapons that hit every time. You can fly (well, air walk/levitate) without any additional mods, something dropped from later games because of how they separate the towns from the world. You can boost your jump to 500 and leap across the world like Hulk provided you slowfall before going splat. Cast a spell that drains fatigue and mana, reducing your opponent to a vegetable. The game's ridiculous.

Everyone should at least try out Morrowind. It's clunky but there's so much going on that new video games just don't incorporate anymore.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I'd recommend setting your speed to 150 or so just to alleviate the slow walking speed tbh.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

al-azad posted:

All of this is a testament to how well designed Morrowind is as a world. It has a really intricate system of roads, both man made and created by the volcanic environment, and none of the other games in the series have come close to having such geographical detail. These are the actual directions you get at the start of the game for reaching Balmora. If that doesn't sound appealing then you probably won't enjoy the game!

My favorite thing about that note is how it acknowledges that both Seyda Neen and Balmora have silt strider ports, yet never mentions how much easier and quicker it is than to follow the road. I don't know how much the fare is to travel between the two, but it can't be that much. Imagine someone following those instructions, arriving in Balmora, wondering what that the big creature with those long legs is about and then taking a trip back to Seyda Neen to try it out. That'd be a kick in the nuts.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 20, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

My favorite thing about that note is how it acknowledges that both Seyda Neen and Balmora have silt strider ports, yet never mentions how much easier and quicker it is than to follow the road. I don't know how much the fare is to travel between the two, but it can't be that much.

I think it's a hundred or so. At this point you can learn the time honored tradition of making money by either stealing anything not nailed down, hitting up the slave den right outside of Seyda Neen, or selling all the junk you got in the "tutorial" section.

Ironically I believe the official strategy guide recommends taking the strider. You'll bump into cliff racers and nix hounds and a few powerful bandits if you go by foot. Speaking of which, I can't remember ever playing a video game with more disturbing mook enemies. You have to be tough as spit to live in any land where these things are considered a mild nuissance.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 20, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Torchlight 2? My girlfriend and I want to play it together and I know there's workshop compatibility.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Or you can go north along the coast towards Hla Oad and see a Bosmer fall out of the sky to his death. Then if you cut across the Odai Plateau and look hard enough, there's an Ebony Shortsword stuck in the ground :hellyeah:

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anyone have any tips for Ironcast? In particular how to help make it not so hard? I feel like I'm always having the other enemy mech get the jump on me, since I can't figure my guns in the first round and they can (which seems like either I'm missing something, or it's a lovely combat mechanic). What can I do to survive more than a few missions and have a shot at that boss?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Anything for Dynasty Warriors 8: Extreme Legends? My first Dynasty Warriors game and I got some stuff from the tutorial, but I feel like there is a load of depth to this game I'm missing.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

owl_pellet posted:

Range is an important factor in aim calculation. The closer you are, the higher your chances to hit are. Each square farther away you are, you get a penalty to your hit chance--the exact penalty depends on weapon. Throwing weapons, pistols, and shotguns have a very steep range penalty, assault rifles barely care. Sniper rifles work backwards: the closer you are, the bigger your penalty.

Crits are a big part of your damage. You can't crit targets in cover, so either pop them out with melee attacks/thrown weapons/certain special attacks/total AP drain, or just reposition to flank them.

You can buy weapons for your crew and "loan" them out for a mission. In the equipment select screen before a mission, you can drop gear into your teammates' blank slots or even temporarily overwrite stuff. Any loaned consumables they don't use will be returned at the end of the mission, and any weapons will always be returned to be handed out next run. Some equipment (e.g. Glory's claws, all armor) is locked in and can't be replaced. Eiger benefits a lot from a loaner assault rifle: it fills the midrange gap in her arsenal and she has the skills to use the best available models.

If you still need a boost, get buff. Huff drugs, cast buff spells, use special abilities, and turn on activated cyberware.

Also your dudes just kinda suck in the first mission or so. You'll get better quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Anything for Retro City Rampage DX and The Waste Land (the Metroidvania based on the TS Elliot poem, not the Fallout inspiration).?