Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
The only way I would even dare to challenge a military storage depot with its six milspec turrets just waiting to obliterate you is by crafting dynamite and throwing it into the hall, and carefully peeking around the corners to make sure that none are left to rain burst fire death. Maybe EMP grenades would work too.

It's usually way less effort to use a military ID and then use the dynamite to blast open the storage units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

nftyw posted:

The only way I would even dare to challenge a military storage depot with its six milspec turrets just waiting to obliterate you is by crafting dynamite and throwing it into the hall, and carefully peeking around the corners to make sure that none are left to rain burst fire death. Maybe EMP grenades would work too.

It's usually way less effort to use a military ID and then use the dynamite to blast open the storage units.

EMP Grenades work just fine. I got through my very first bunker with an electrohack, and 2 EMP grenades. If you open the door with the electrohack with the panel to your upper left, you can toss a grenade at the corner, since the EMP blast goes through walls, it seems. Then just toss the second one in the middle of the hallway. That should do it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Turns out military outposts are a breeze if you have a long-range weapon. I popped all 8 turrets without being targeted by attacking from like twice their range with a scoped AUG with 38 range.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Finally found a mall. Holy poo poo so many hulks (that might've had something to do with all these zombie masters hanging around). Good thing I've got all these guns in my car!

Also the .22 rotary carbine is surprisingly useful, I thought it'd be garbage! It obliterates everything, though of course it also eats ammo like crazy

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I just burned a police station down because my lockpicks were on K and my matchbook was on k.

Let's hope there wasn't any worthwhile loot in there!

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

M.Ciaster posted:

Also the .22 rotary carbine is surprisingly useful, I thought it'd be garbage! It obliterates everything, though of course it also eats ammo like crazy

American-180? Or is there another one that got added recently?

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

nftyw posted:

American-180? Or is there another one that got added recently?

Nope, the Rivtech one. Don't think it was added that recently, pretty sure I remember seeing it in the stable?

I think lorewise it's supposed to be like a tiny .22 minigun basically, like this:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So, a Calico 960 modified into a .22LR minigun?

Interesting.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Funny thing about that is, despite being at the very top of the list. My underwear gets damaged all the time. But yeah, generally it works pretty well.

That's from you making GBS threads yourself. :v:

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So, a Calico 960 modified into a .22LR minigun?

Interesting.

Well, the Calico part is mostly 'cause that's art from Cyberpunk 2020 which is the most 80s roleplaying game this side of RIFTS, but pretty much. :v:

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

So today I dropped a brazier in my house instead of activating it to make a fire on. Bad idea.

Well, at least I still have my health! :suicide:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I ran into my first slime pit, situated in the middle of a mall. My solution to being mobbed by zombies and blobs was to burn down half the mall :v: Is there anything worthwhile inside the slime pit? I saw a set of stairs down inside.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Slime pits are...unique among the 'dungeon' type areas. Without spoiling TOO much, no, there's nothing worthwhile in a slime-pit, typically. There is a small stash of unusual, questionable loot on the bottom floor, from what I understand, but the pits themselves are just giant open caverns with tons of blobs. Tons and tons and tons of blobs. Don't even bother going down them unless you're very competent in melee, because you'll be spending much of your time wading through and completely surrounded by blobs.

Oddly, if what I read is accurate, you can't even clear a slime pit like most 'dungeons'. There will just always be more blobs. They're a reliable source of mutagen fodder, at least, but pretty worthless otherwise unless one of the experimental builds has changed something.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I tried to take on a Jabberwock with a Wire Bat.

Yeah nah. Should have used my Mx4 with FMJ rounds :(

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tarezax posted:

My solution to being mobbed by zombies and blobs was to burn down half the mall :v:
I see no problem with this and encourage you to continue

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Funny thing about that is, despite being at the very top of the list. My underwear gets damaged all the time. But yeah, generally it works pretty well.

What may be happening is that armor has a coverage percentage, which means the chance that the weapon will impact the armor. Essentially most armor has a flat chance to be bypased because it doesn't cover the bit of you that got attacked. Also, armor is resistant to damage, so when it gets hit it won't actually degrade unless it's a very heavy hit, while underwear is not, and will degrade easily.

Essentially your underwear will still get hit sometimes, and will probably break when it does.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

So Laser Rifles and Fusion Cannons and the better Laser Pistols are found in the Science Labs right? I've found a couple of mutagenic formulas and a book on something about carbon compounds, but no luck finding neat guns yet on the first floor...

And an assload of crates. I don't have a crowbar handy though. Can these crates hold anything?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 21, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
If it's the room with the pipes, the crates and shelves in the top right and the crates behind two shutters in the lower left they tend to hold electronics and fabrication stuff with some clothing (filter masks etc.) The best stuff they can have are some CBM's though.

The really good stuff is in a specific room on the bottom floor/heart of the lab though.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

If it's the room with the pipes, the crates and shelves in the top right and the crates behind two shutters in the lower left they tend to hold electronics and fabrication stuff with some clothing (filter masks etc.) The best stuff they can have are some CBM's though.

The really good stuff is in a specific room on the bottom floor/heart of the lab though.

Hmmm. A book telling you how to make diamond weapons by no means guarantees that you'll find the cvd machine that you need to make the weapons in there right?

gently caress....

Edit: Recycler CBM, blood filter CBM, ethanol burner CBM. Niiice. No chain lightning and I don't have offensive CBMs implanted. Nor do I have any really good laser weapons, but that's a nice boost to my power supply availability.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 21, 2015

One who is Rad
Mar 30, 2010
Grappler zombies do not gently caress around.

I've had one rip the frame along with my windshield, turret and second wheel right out of my deathbike as I rammed it at 60 mph, another one yanked my guy out of his murdercar through plating and boards as he sped by it. Seriously, Brutes and acid spitters all get crushed pretty easily, but the grab zombie just wrecks you if you get unlucky ramming it in your death fort.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Making gunpowder just got removed because [strike]the devs hate fun[/strike] "it's unrealistic."

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Guess we'll have to make a mod to add it back in. :v:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Guess we'll have to make a mod to add it back in. :v:

Absolutely.

So, I didn't find any weapons in that science lab after all, unless there are some laser weapons hidden in those crates. Which is very unfortunate.

But I did get an internal furnace, ethanol burner, blood filter, recycler, offensive defensive (seems kind of useless), implant nightvision (hellishly high energy costs compared to my UPS nightvision goggles but I can wear it and my mask without encumbrance), fingerpick, some power source CBMs to improve my overall power capacity. And an alarm system (useless???) and Teleportation Unit.

Plus assorted recipes for mutagens and serums that I'll have to take a look at. Including recipes for diamond weapons! Unfortunately I don't think the machine I need to make them is in here. :( Guess I have to hunt down another lab now?

Still overall that seems like a pretty good haul! I'm guessing I would need to find another lab with a CBM finale to have a hope of a chance of getting a Chain Lightning CBM?

Edit: Christ there are 3 mini-flamethrower CBMs here. I'm guessing they don't do any good for me?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 21, 2015

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I have a mini-flamethrower CBM on; it's pretty weak and small, but hey, if you absolutely need something adjacent to you lit on fire and you're not currently wielding a source of fire, it's there in a pinch.

In other news my dreams of a roaming fortress vehicle are pretty much dead at this point. The 'realism' is just too much, I guess. Running into a single wreckage at 20mph annihilated beyond repair two of my ram-plates, and a short jaunt across town took %50 of the Solarbeast's battery power despite the fact that it carries something like two dozen large storage batteries. Also, it was unable to reliably destroy a picket fence with its 66" drum rollers and had to be partially disassembled so that I could smash a single tile of fence in one blow because a roller was caught up on it.

I could just throw in a bunch of V8s or something instead to solve the fuel economy issue, but then I'd have to worry about gassing it up and I guess nothing is going to solve the problem that running into ANYTHING is more destructive to your vehicle than the stationary object, such that even armored drum rollers can't defeat wrecks with no health remaining on their parts or picket goddamned fences. I guess I'll move the useful poo poo over to my hauling car and use it for small excursions; it's extremely disappointing that a deathmobile just doesn't seem to work. I don't know how any of you have had any luck with them, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong that's making mine fail every conceivable metric from durability to speed to viability of refueling.

It's not just the electric engines, although they're apparently a spectacularly poor choice of powerplant for larger vehicles in this game. The problem of not being able to defeat wooden fences or having armored parts pop off in a low-speed collision with a stationary wreck are also issues.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 21, 2015

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Making gunpowder just got removed because [strike]the devs hate fun[/strike] "it's unrealistic."

quote:

I was reminded of this recently and took another look around. The consensus I see everywhere I look is that modern gunpowder is not a reasonable thing to make without extensive expertise (professional chemist at least) and equipment (laboratory level).

Before discussing this, read at least https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokeless_powder#Manufacturing to familiarize yourself with the process.
Short version of why it's dangerous, several intermediate products in the creation of modern gunpowder combust violently on mere exposure to air. Extensive measures are required to keep this from happening.

In order for this to be a recipe the player can use, it needs to either be reworked to require the level of expertise and equipment necessary to perform it without significant risk of explosion, OR it needs to have that risk of explosion. Separate safe and dangerous recipes would be perfectly fine.

Well, he's not wrong, and blackpowder's still in the game, so maybe this isn't so-

quote:

Firearms not necessarily being sustainable is kind of the point. Either you find a large enough cache of ammo to use, or you make do without that particular resource.

:smith:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The flamethrower is a very easy way to get intense fires going. If you use it three times on a single tile, you'll get a raging fire that'll spread even in the absence of fuel.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Laser weapons with UPS attachments and UPS CBMs for every-loving-one, then. :argh:

Yeah I'm feeling pretty good about my haul from this science lab, despite the notable lack of energy weapons of any sort. I need to hunt down another lab to have another chance of finding the diamond weapons machine, right?

If I wanted to muck about with mutations what tree should I look into first? I don't think I've found the alpha mutations that some people in this thread have mentioned, but I think I've got quite a selection.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm pretty sure that crossing the post-human threshold is really only particularly profitable with Alpha and Medical mutations, with the former providing good stat-boosts and benefits with little or no downside and the latter basically making you a regenerating machine that's immune to pain. Everything else looks to be a thoroughly mixed bag, and mostly only worth taking for flavor. I think most of the trees have a large mix of lower mutations, so you're probably not going to be able to get exactly what you're looking for very easily, unless I've overlooked something. Just having a large amount of mutagen (and different kinds of mutagen, if you don't want the game forcing most of your mutations to come from one tree) and purifier on hand is probably the way to go, although I think mutating large amounts comes with an addiction penalty as well. I'm still morosely mixing up buckets of mutagen and prepping ice lab gear after the sad failure of my attempts at vehicular mayhem, so I haven't explored the mechanics well enough to say for sure yet. :v:

And, yeah, I think each lab can only have one kind of 'finale' room in it, so if you found a massive vault of rare CBMs and tons of guard-bots you're not going to find a pile of laser weapons or a CVD machine, I believe.

E: And just to clarify, yeah, the diamond weapons book is just another rare loot item in labs, finding it makes no guarantees about the lab's finale.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I'm pretty sure that crossing the post-human threshold is really only particularly profitable with Alpha and Medical mutations, with the former providing good stat-boosts and benefits with little or no downside and the latter basically making you a regenerating machine that's immune to pain. Everything else looks to be a thoroughly mixed bag, and mostly only worth taking for flavor. I think most of the trees have a large mix of lower mutations, so you're probably not going to be able to get exactly what you're looking for very easily, unless I've overlooked something. Just having a large amount of mutagen (and different kinds of mutagen, if you don't want the game forcing most of your mutations to come from one tree) and purifier on hand is probably the way to go, although I think mutating large amounts comes with an addiction penalty as well. I'm still morosely mixing up buckets of mutagen and prepping ice lab gear after the sad failure of my attempts at vehicular mayhem, so I haven't explored the mechanics well enough to say for sure yet. :v:

And, yeah, I think each lab can only have one kind of 'finale' room in it, so if you found a massive vault of rare CBMs and tons of guard-bots you're not going to find a pile of laser weapons or a CVD machine, I believe.

E: And just to clarify, yeah, the diamond weapons book is just another rare loot item in labs, finding it makes no guarantees about the lab's finale.

The CVD is itself a finale room? Shiiiit.

Edit: Ok, I might just grab myself some mutations here and there for the hell of it. Is it possible to get a few from every tree?

Edit: Oohhh dammit. I have a lot of recipes for serums but it seems I'm missing recipes for a lot of their respective mutagens. :negative:

Artificer fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 21, 2015

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Tehan posted:

gunpowder chat

Why are Cataclysm's devs so intent on kicking fun in the teeth?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Million Ghosts posted:

Why are Cataclysm's devs so intent on kicking fun in the teeth?

:spergin:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Fuuuck why do books even give you serums without their mutagens.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
This is why I stick to old stables until enough new stuff has been added that I want to give a spin. I don't think it's possible to overemphasize how ludicrously terrible C:DDA development is.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
It makes my general over-conservative self a little happy that I usually crutch on reflex recurve bows only saving the guns for really annoying stuff like triffid hearts and hulks and such. Next thing they'll do is make underground gun storage basements encased in five layers of steel after making gun stores concrete bunkers, and making metal doors breach-proof.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ironically, making high-tech caseless ammo is now easier and more sustainable than reloading your old brass.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
In a game where you can literally become Megaman by installing a fusion blaster arm and ride out on your death mobile fighting corpses animated by blobs from another dimension, making gunpowder is apparently unrealistic. A pneumatic assault rifle with no actual power source beyond your own arm that nevertheless can rapid fire and shred hulks? Fine. Making bullets? Wow, what is this, loving Lord of The Rings? Get this fantasy poo poo out of here, idiot.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cant you just disassemble the massive pile of ammo you have in calibers you'll never use

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
According to the discussion on Github that's the intention, since some people are talking about adding more bullets or gunpowder to gun shops to compensate. Kevin Granade seems dead against being self-sustainable on bullets, which is kind of ridiculous considering how easy it is to be self-sustainable on exploding death lasers.

Reading through the Github discussions is depressingly enlightening about the game's 'design philosophy'. Everyone's really cautious about voicing their opinions until one of the big names makes theirs known, and then everyone trips over themselves to agree and tell that person how insightful and correct that opinion is.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tehan posted:

Reading through the Github discussions is depressingly enlightening about the game's 'design philosophy'. Everyone's really cautious about voicing their opinions until one of the big names makes theirs known, and then everyone trips over themselves to agree and tell that person how insightful and correct that opinion is.

Welcome to literally every Github project with more than 1 contributor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Tehan posted:

According to the discussion on Github that's the intention, since some people are talking about adding more bullets or gunpowder to gun shops to compensate. Kevin Granade seems dead against being self-sustainable on bullets, which is kind of ridiculous considering how easy it is to be self-sustainable on exploding death lasers.

That's the weirdest thing about it. I can be a solar powered death machine firing endless exploding balls of plasma from my own power reserves that will functionally never run out, yet I can't make bullets by myself. It's just such a silly direction to take it considering all the other sustainable options out there that are arguably better than regular guns even when you could sustain yourself from bullets. With a pneumatic assault rifle I can find rocks everywhere to make into pebbles, and metal is piss easy to find if I want to make bearings. The realism argument doesn't bear weight considering all the zombies and interdimensional monsters and cyborgs and lasers in the game, and from a gameplay standpoint it's just a garbage decision.