Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
I'll be streaming Touhou-A-Live, a fangame based off of Live-A-Live, a game I've never played in about 20 minutes.

http://www.twitch.tv/ryza01

I'll be going through this semi-blind since i played through about half of it a year ago.

EDIT: Stream's over. We are the Strongest after like 50 deaths.

Ryza fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Playing more of that Ys-ish fangame in about 20 minutes.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Due to some scheduling issues, 39M's translation isn't done yet. But honestly, that's probably for the best since otherwise 39R would look like total poo poo next to it.

Also I want to do something with the chapter 40 preview, so no intermissions this chapter.

------

quote:

House of Eternity
Music: Bizarre Smile

Full Text

quote:

Incoming ship!

Udonge, go ambush it.

Full Text

quote:

Marisa's not here, so I guess I'll contact Sanae instead.

Can you help us?

Nope.

quote:

Palanquin Ship - Hall
Music: Border of Regular and Irregular Days

Full Text

quote:

Somebody's ambushing the ship!

------

quote:

The Hakurei Barrier

There's a lot of special effects this chapter. I was considering making animations of them, but nah.

Reisen posted:

Hit confirmed... The damage was minimal though.

Prepare yourselves, Wave 1. They should be coming out any moment now.

This map is super dense in bamboo. Not that it matters since everyone is flying.

Hey, what's goin on? I was trying to enjoy an evening drink here.

I spilled my miso soup too~.

So where's the enemy?!

Looks like they managed to set up an ambush right under our noses. We're surrounded!

The radar's gone crazy too. What's going on?!

...They're nonchalantly popping out one by one, just like Master said they would. Now I just have to wait for the shrine maiden to show herself...

In comes Reimu.

There!

So these are the guys playing pranks on us?!

Something's odd about this. Feral youkai like these would never be able to plan this kind of ambush.

The boss must still be hiding themselves!

Then I'll just have to go look for them-

Now!

Reisen lasers Reimu.

...?!

Reimu, are you okay?!

I'm fine, but...

Oh no, your gohei is broken in half!

...She blocked with her weapon at the last second. She's got good instincts. But that trick only works once. It's over.

This is bad! If that happens again-

Gotcha!

!

...Whatever am I going to do with you, Reimu? You can't panic like that in the middle of battle.

Yukari...!

Good job, Yukari! Is Reimu okay?

She's uninjured, but she won't be able to fight like this.

You'll have to sit this one out, Reimu.

Hey! It's not that bad-

Reimu, calm down and think before you speak. How exactly do you plan to fight without a weapon?

Well considering she only uses her gohei in her parry animation...

But...!

Thanks to that woman with the weird power, she got out of that alive, but the group's still lost its head. It's just a matter of time until they're forced to retreat.

Reisen goes into hiding again.

It's that youkai rabbit from the other day! So she was an enemy after all!

But what do we do? Reimu's down for the count...

Everyone, I know the enemy managed to trap us in an ambush. But we need to calm down and counterattack. Please!

quote:

Victory: Defeat all enemies.
Defeat: The Palanquin Ship is defeated.

This is a pretty boring chapter on Normal, and a slog on Lunatic.

Music: Open Human Cage

First thing I did was have Dai cast Cheer and let Mystia blast the entire party with Song of the Night Sparrow. Boom, instant level.

It's really easy to level up support characters.

After that was the Rally train, though this time I only cast it twice.

There are two enemy fronts, so I've split up into two groups.

In hindsight, these were probably not the best two groups to split into.

On Lunatic, rabbits reduce damage by a full 30%. Thankfully the effects don't stack, but that's already more than enough to make things take forever.

The next cutscene is on enemy phase two.

...Is Reimu really okay?

Yukari said she'd be, so I wouldn't worry about it. More importantly...

"Are we going to get out of this okay?", right? If they bothered setting up this elaborate ambush, we must be playing right into their han-

More enemy reinforcements. This wave is a mix of rabbits and kedama.

Huh...?!

Wait, there's more?!

Well, this is a pain. Without Yukari, we're not getting out of this without some broken bones.

I can't believe they got Reimu too...

No, we can't give in like this! That's just what the enemy wants!

You're right. We'll just have to do Reimu's part in her place!

Meanwhile, on the ship.

I never realized that sitting back and watching would be so frustrating...

Hey, Yukari! You're done with my new gear, right? Even if you're still fussing with them, they still work, right?

You wouldn't be planning to-

Hand 'em over! I'm heading out!

...It's hard to tell you this, but no. They're simply not ready yet. As they are now, it's far too dangerous to take them into actual combat.

You never know until you try!

Besides, when has the dangerous prototype machine ever actually failed to work properly?

I understand your feelings, but know your place. You are the Hakurei shrine maiden, a totally irreplaceable being. I cannot allow you to risk your life here.

...!

Music: Girl on the Tailwind of a Story

Man, at this rate Hatate is going to die of graze damage.

I left Yuyuko with some SP so she could cast Guard. Combined with Shield Defense, she should be able to tank just about everything now.

As you might recall, rabbits are packing both flavors of Support. Support Defend, combined with their danmaku field and the fact they always try to stand right next to each other, makes beating up rabbits a massive pain.

Fury is a nice shortcut since it ignores both Support Defend and the danmaku field, but I only have so many casts.

But at least Mystia is saving me SP that would have gone into Strike.

Terrain bonuses are still dropping my damage a bit, but the main problem here is that Shou is just not very strong. Even Fury can't do anything about that.

Another tactic to avoid Support Defend is to use a MAP.

Ultimate Buddhist doesn't ignore danmaku so it won't do that much damage, but hey, why no-

wait poo poo i switched to shizuha to cast attune oh god minoriko is the one with grit on

I can't fight any further, I need to retreat.

Welp.

Okay I should probably start giving a drat. Hatate's out of MP so I put her onto the ship, and with Shizuha down the most use Minoriko's going to be is renewing MP so I move her near my heavier hitters. Meanwhile, the three on the left are about to enter one hell of an enemy phase.

Surprisingly, Mystia only got attacked once. Most of the enemies focused their fire on Shou, who was weakened thanks to Ultimate Buddhist. She pulled through thanks to the Palanquin Ship's four levels of Support Defend though.

Momiji did pretty much the same thing to keep Youmu alive, since for some reason barely any enemies wanted to attack Cirno.

Youmu still had to dodge a 67% to make it through though.

Everyone's getting tired already, aren't they? Are you all right, Youmu?

Yes, but I have my hands full just defending myself!

Aren't you breathing a little heavily, Momiji?

You too, Aya. You haven't even had time to take out your camera, have you?

...They still haven't given up? Even with their leader taken out?

Fine, I'll just have to do this myself.

She's back!

I don't know who you people are, but stay out of our way.

Face it, you're exhausted. Do you think you can resist the madness of the moon in that state?!

She plans to attack us herself now...?!

Visionary Tuning!

Music: Descent - A Crisis Draws Near

Ack, what is this...?!

This horrible sensation! It's completely different from what she did earlier!

Painful, isn't it? The sharper your senses, the more it should hurt.

Just how many do you think have been driven mad by it?

Have we failed? We've been completely outmanuevered...!

Let's start with you!

Momiji gets blasted.

And you too!

And then Yuyuko. It's totally random who gets lasered, and it doesn't actually have any effect on their HP as far as I can tell.

Aah! Is everyone okay?!

Hey, isn't this looking kind of bad...? Yukari, just give me the gear already!

No. I already told you it's too dangerous. We can't afford to lose you.

Enough already!

You're always like this... You act like you're worried about me, but you're never thinking about me! Your mind's always off somewhere else, worrying about something else!

How about you take a step back and consider my feelings for once?!

Fine, if you're willing to go that far...

The key to handling your new equipment is to understand the true nature of a barrier. I need you to be especially cautious if it looks like you won't be able to withstand its power.

That's fine with me!

Back to Reisen now.

...I have nothing against you people, but...

The game proceeds to pick a random unit.

Reisen will static near them and summon more reinforcements.

This is what'll happen if you don't surrender immediately.

Hold on! I'm against animal abuse~!

We, too, are desperately fighting for our own survival. That's why I won't apologize. This is what you get for missing your chance to escape!

Hey, listen to me! Listen to my song!

Watch out, Mystia!

Raymu posted:

Sorry for the wait!

Music: Dream Balancer

!

The hero always shows up in the nick of time!

Reimu!

Wait, are those clothes the ones Yukari was making?

I yelled at her until she let me try them out. I'm not cut out for sitting on the sidelines.

Do you really think you can get through life with pure stubbornness, human?! So you threw together a spare set of gear? So what?! This is just going to end up the same as last time!

She's right, those are still being adjusted! They shouldn't be ready for battle!

Yeah? Well like I said, you never know until you try!

Reimu vanishes,

Reisen posted:

Huh, when did you...?!
and reappears right next to Reisen!

She proceeds to pump Reisen full of needles, which also magically defeats all the reinforcements.

In the original version of the game, Reisen surrounded her selected unit with reinforcements. Reimu warped to the rescue and wiped out all of the rabbits with a MAP attack that she would proceed to never use again.

A-amazing!

Wh-What was that?! Did you just tear through space-time...?!

Yukari warps in too.

I never imagined she'd demonstrate such proficiency.

You're late, Yukari.

And here I thought I rushed.

Lady Yukari, why did you give her those weapons...?! They should be totally unusable without your adjustments!

I'm surprised too. I suppose I've underestimated her.

What's going on here? She's nothing like she was before.

Wh-whatever. You'll still have to get through all these rabbits!

Reisen flees back south and summons more reinforcements.

There's even more of them... It's all over!

Surely you've already heard enough from me, Reimu. You know what to do.

Of course. I'll clean up both this incident and any youkai who gets in my way.

So get ready, because I'm going to show you the Hakurei shrine maiden's true power!

quote:

Victory: Defeat Reisen. (She flees at 20% HP)
Defeat: The Palanquin Ship is defeated.
Bonus: Reisen is the last enemy defeated.

Reisen will head right for me, so it's better to spend my time cleaning up enemies.

Oh hey, look who's out on her own for once.

Music: Sage, Please Guide Me

You are probably only going to see Quadruple Barrier twice this entire LP.

Momiji lasted much longer than I expected her to thanks to Parry going off, but literally every enemy was attacking her so she got shot down. God drat it Cirno you are awful bait.

Anyway, Reimu. Her upgrade doesn't actually have a name, and the most the game's script has to say about the matter is that she's now "Reimu R". I like to differentiate her from her previous form, though, so I usually just call her Reimu HWS.

What's the HWS?

An upgrade to the Nu Gundam. Look, if she's going to make Nu Gundam jokes in her battle quotes, I may as well follow suit.
I guess Hi-Reimu would have worked too, but that sounds dumb.

...Oh, so that's how it works. I think I'm getting the hang of this.

It's like the weapons themselves are telling me how I should attack.

All I have to do is take her down again, and the rest should definitely retreat this time... Everyone, focus your attacks on her!

If you want a fight, then bring it on!

:siren: Music: Dream Balancer (ver. Game) :siren:

The regular version of Dream Balancer has a much better intro than the full one. Nothing says main character like having the title theme play every time you do something! :dance:

Ascension Kick was swapped out for Dimensional Rift. It's no longer a Solid attack, so it can't be parried. Not that I have any idea how you'd parry a teleport kick to the back.

Reimu apparently learned how to do a hadoken movement too because the Homing Amulets are now Hakurei Amulets,

and the Yin-Yang Orbs supersized into the Yin-Yang Demon God Orb.
get it, "heavy" weapons system

The right side is about done, so I have Yukari warp Reimu to help get her to the left.

I can't fight on an empty stomach... I'm going back first.

She couldn't quite make it in time even with Aya casting Accel on her though, so Rumia died. Goodbye Daunt. :sigh:

It took a while for the momentum to finally shift my way. Stupid rabbits make everything take much longer than it really should.

And then there are these jerks all the way up here who keep sniping everyone. I sent Reimu and Sanae/Suika after them.

Speaking of Reimu, Persuasion Needle changed into Sealing Needle. Kind of late, since Reimu originally had those for MoF, but at least she got them!

Also I can't believe I forgot that Reisen's field nullifies Strike. Should have blown the last of Youmu's SP on Focus instead!

I've caught you, rabbit!

This one's got a sword!

...? Did her spirit just drop for a moment there?

No matter, I'll just charge in!

(...This is bad. I have bad memories of swords...!)

Music: feel eyes on you

For the second chapter in a row Youmu's use comes down to dropping Infinite Kalpas on a boss.

Anyway a fairy attacks Reimu from far away enough to use Hakurei Danmaku Barrier. That name sound familiar?

Hey, if I can move this well, maybe I could pull off that spell...

Oh? That looks familiar.

I never really thought it fit you, Yukari. It's too straightforward.

This is my take on your danmaku!

...Is that so? If I can see you accomplish that much, then making your new equipment will have been worthwhile.

So show me. Show me the Hakurei shrine maiden's grand Danmaku Barrier.

It's not really Evil-Sealing Circle's upgrade, but the animation references IN's Omnidirectional Demon-Binding Circle, which was.

I don't like people who are mean to my friends!

...I haven't seen this type of fairy in the bamboo thicket before. I doubt she's a threat, but I should never let my guard down, right?

Reisen is a long ranged character, so Youmu is actually pretty safe standing right next to her.

The chapter's reaching its final phases, so I start moving people to Reisen.

How dare you... do whatever it is you did!

Beasts are among the simplest of youkai. You're no match for me.

Hey, aren't you a rabbit youkai too~?

(...I am, aren't I? Or at least that's how they would classify me here.)

Who continues to snipe my weaker units.

This jerk is the last thing standing between me and the bonus. Once it goes down, Reisen is toast.

You surprised me earlier, with that strange technique of yours. I wasn't quite able to figure out how it worked, but...

It's science; you'd never understand it. A classical youkai like you is too primitive to even know where to begin.

...Science, hm? That should be enough of a hint for me.

Nope.

Also that kedama suicided on Reimu, it's go time.

Minoriko drops my sole bomb,

and everyone starts firing away. This is the part where I'm supposed to have Shizuha and Yukari spam Attune but welp.

How dirty of you to attack us from behind~.

All's fair in love and war. Don't blame me for trying to win.

You know, you've been making these excuses this whole time. It's not healthy to repress your guilt, you know~.

How condescending. Are you mocking me?!

This attack actually looks sort of funny when it misses.

Thank you for bullying Reimu for me.

You're that youkai with the weird power to tear space! Why are you deploying now? Don't tell me you're here for revenge...

Hardly. I just stepped out to show you my appreciation. Thanks to you, I was able to see Reimu make some huge steps forward in her training.

(Although that's both good and bad...)

And there's the second time. I actually use Quadruple Barrier a lot in FMW4 thanks to Full Power Mode, but here? Nope.

If Reimu can do it, I can too!

And suddenly you're all full of yourselves just because your friend showed up... You were supposed to scatter once I took her out of the fight!

Sorry, but you can't stop me now!

What, are you gonna give me some stupid speech about helping each other out? That stuff makes me sick!

Reisen's animation in this attack references the Gundam Exia's beam rifle pose. Remember that because it's going to be kind of relevant later!

Reisen posted:

I can't believe how strong she is...!

Also I went too far.

I save scummed for a bit to see if it would be possible for Reimu to get the kill,

and it turns out that no, she can't. Even with maxed out weapons, WP level 7, 170 Power, Hermit Purple, and a critical, Reisen just barely survives. God drat it Reimu, this is why you need to be in a team with someone. :argh:

The reason I'm going through all this trouble is Reisen's drop. The H-Shooter boosts accuracy by a whopping 25%, which is really good.

I resorted to reloading until Dai or Mystia could land a weak hit. 32 resets later and Mystia did it.

And just to be absolutely sure I suicided Sanae to give Reimu that extra bit of damage.
aaaaah look at that finger

Lady Yasaka, Lady Moriya, please forgive me...

But then she did less damage. :psyduck:

Is the revenge mechanic just bugged for this chapter since Reimu HWS is technically a new unit...?

Finally I just gave up on a flashy finish and reloaded until Chen landed her Support Attack.

I still need to pay you back for earlier!

Something's definitely different about this human...!

I needed that gohei! It's part of being a shrine maiden.

I'll sue you for damages! Reparations, donations, whatever. Or I'll take those ears of yours and call it even!

She's crazy! How can someone so crazy be so strong?!

Music: Sealing Charm, Blessed Light

Like all the best Reals, Reimu's finisher is a bunch of her weaker attacks chained together.

First some amulets,

then a Dimensional Rift,

followed by needles,

then a... tackle, okay, why not,

even more needles,

and finally a double Ascension Kick.

In the original version, Fantasy Seal -Blink- ended here if you didn't get a kill. You know, before she actually uses Fantasy Seal. :v:
It also had a different sequence of attacks, but for the life of me I don't remember

Here's the cut-in. At first I thought it was Reimu UFO's outfit (for reasons you shall see soon) but this design is totally original. Note the little apron thing down the front of the skirt; does that remind you of anyone else's design?
In you couldn't figure it out, it echoes Ran and Yukari's dress outfits.

The final blow is a bunch of Fantasy Seal orbs that leads to a variant of the original dynamic kill, but you're not seeing that. Check out the video I guess.

Anyway, finish it Che-

A reload later, Chen did it.

:toot:

I can't believe how strong she is...!

You're just a youkai! Don't get cocky!

The entire course of the battle changed after Reimu showed up!

Now, let's capture her and find out where she's from. If we can learn where the mastermind is hiding, the investigation will practically already be over.

Yukari's pretty awesome, but even she won't hold back the sunrise forever.

Indeed, that would only increase our problems.

!

(So she's the one behind this long night... Master should be satisfied if I can escape with this new intel.)

Looks like you've stopped mouthing off. Have you resigned yourself to your fate?

Yes, I'll surrender quietly...

Of course not!

Reisen throws a flashbang.

Momiji posted:

Is that some kind of smoke bomb?!

Too bad! It's the master's special flashbang!

Just give up and stay out of our way. You'll regret it if you keep pushing into our territory.

Hey, you lost! Act like it!

Mystia posted:

...She's already gone. That was a really clean getaway, huh?
If only we'd tied her up as soon as we won...!

But still, that whole attack was meticulously planned out. Sounds like she was taking orders from someone too.

Are they the bad guy this time?

Well, if they bothered setting up an ambush, there must be something deeper in the thicket. And if we keep following the rabbits, we'll know what it is.

Then everyone come back aboard. I'd like to check the ship for repairs.

The sad thing is, this isn't even the chapter I'll be reloading the most on.

Or the one with the most deaths.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 24, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

Palanquin Ship - Bridge
Music: Border of Regular and Irregular Days

Full Text

quote:

Anyway, Reimu's stronger now. Yup.

quote:

Palanquin Ship - Hall
Music: What's the Strategy?

Full Text

quote:

Isn't this new equipment just a fancy way of sealing away Reimu's original powers?

Bingo.

------

Reimu Hakurei [Heavy Weapons System]

Reimu HWS is about as plain of an upgrade as it gets: +300 HP, +40 MP, +5 Mobility, +50 Armor, +0.5 Cost, an inherent Duplex Barrier (the PS now boosts its effect), and stronger weapons across the board. She's quite literally Reimu 2: Reimu Harder. Which is fine, because that's really all Reimu needed anyway.
Fun Fact: If you equipped the Portable Gap and the Duplex Barrier PS on Reimu, the barrier would morph into Yukari's Quadruple Barrier (which negated the same amount of damage as both barriers put together, but for a lower MP cost). For whatever odd reason, Reimu HWS can't do this.

All Attacks
Battle theme: Dream Balancer [ver. Game] (Maiden's Capriccio, Dancing Blue)
Full battle theme: Dream Balancer
Fantasy Seal -Blink- theme: Sealing Charm, Blessed Light (Witching Dream)
Trichromatic Lotus Butterfly theme: Trichromatic Danmaku Träumerei (Dichromatic Lotus Butterfly)

Reisen Udongein Inaba
Battle theme: feel eyes on you

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 24, 2015

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Perhaps unsurprisingly, the cutsceens for this level fall to pieces when you have two Reimus.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

What even is Reimu's "original" power anyway? She still seems to have the power to float, she is still using her youkai exterminating tools without problem, and her insane instinct don't seem to have dulled considering how quickly she adapted to her new weapons. So unless i'm missing something from the PC-98 games, is this an invention of Sanbondo's? Her upgrade is pretty cool though. I like how a lot of the attacks are all about barriers because it fits in with how her IN fight goes.

Also, i'm glad that even with Ghost Team just being side characters Sanbondo's keeping the best part about that route. Yuyuko somehow knowing everything about what is going on, even though there should have been absolutely no way for her to figure it out. Because seriously, how the hell does Yuyuko know about Reisen's past enough to subtly mock her about it. (At least I assume that's what they're implying with that "repressing your guilt" line)

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Pet theory: One of the settings on Yuyuko's kill anything power is "How to make them die of embarasment."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What even is Reimu's "original" power anyway? She still seems to have the power to float, she is still using her youkai exterminating tools without problem, and her insane instinct don't seem to have dulled considering how quickly she adapted to her new weapons. So unless i'm missing something from the PC-98 games, is this an invention of Sanbondo's? Her upgrade is pretty cool though. I like how a lot of the attacks are all about barriers because it fits in with how her IN fight goes.

I'm sure you can figure it out, if you think about IN real hard.

quote:

Also, i'm glad that even with Ghost Team just being side characters Sanbondo's keeping the best part about that route. Yuyuko somehow knowing everything about what is going on, even though there should have been absolutely no way for her to figure it out. Because seriously, how the hell does Yuyuko know about Reisen's past enough to subtly mock her about it. (At least I assume that's what they're implying with that "repressing your guilt" line)

Well, on the surface Yuyuko's only talking about the excuses Reisen's made in this chapter: that she's not sorry for trying to kill them because she's also fighting to survive, and that any action is excusable in war. In practice though, yeah, she's totally taunting her about her past. Narratively though, you're probably supposed to see Reisen's general attitude towards... everything I guess, as a reflection of her past.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Incidentally the framing of this chapter would have worked a lot better back in FMW1, where Reimu was legitimately the only good unit in the army. Hell, it even could have worked in FMW2, when the group was mostly composed of small fry.

But here? Oh no, Reimu went down. Whatever will Yuyuko, Yukari, and Ran do. :geno:

Then again they managed to work in a Super Dangerous Prototype and the accompanying scenes into the Touhou setting so points for that.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

BlitzBlast posted:

Incidentally the framing of this chapter would have worked a lot better back in FMW1, where Reimu was legitimately the only good unit in the army. Hell, it even could have worked in FMW2, when the group was mostly composed of small fry.

But here? Oh no, Reimu went down. Whatever will Yuyuko, Yukari, and Ran do. :geno:

Then again they managed to work in a Super Dangerous Prototype and the accompanying scenes into the Touhou setting so points for that.

Well, you have to have a human solve the incident, and Yomu only half counts, Sanae is still learning how to do it, and Hijari doesn't count as human anymore.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh boy mid-season upgrades! Generally if those exist they show up between games, right? So this'll be a treat.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ardeem posted:

Well, you have to have a human solve the incident, and Yomu only half counts, Sanae is still learning how to do it, and Hijari doesn't count as human anymore.

Hey, Touhou 15 showed that Youkai are totally allowed to solve incidents if they want to as well. :colbert:

Clarste posted:

I'm sure you can figure it out, if you think about IN real hard.

Oh, do you mean her invoking the power of the Gods thing? I assume you're being a little esoteric and referring to how SSiB in super connected to IN, because from IN itself I don't remember Reimu doing much of anything outside of the usual. Other than being a really fun boss-fight of course.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Jesus Christ Reimu, weren't you already powerful enough before? :stonk:

If she couldn't solo levels before, she loving can now.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Man if you think Reimu HWS is crazy, wait till you see Shin Marisa.

Or, going by Caphi's SRW Z2 LP, Omega Marisa.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Oh, do you mean her invoking the power of the Gods thing? I assume you're being a little esoteric and referring to how SSiB in super connected to IN, because from IN itself I don't remember Reimu doing much of anything outside of the usual. Other than being a really fun boss-fight of course.

No, I mean IN. I'm not really sure how I could give you a more specific hint without just spoiling things though.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It doesn't really stand out in IN proper because the same mechanics apply to all other Spellcards of the same ilk.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

It doesn't really stand out in IN proper because the same mechanics apply to all other Spellcards of the same ilk.

Oh. Well that explains it.

Weird that Yukari would want to seal that off though, it's not like it's a special ability or anything right? It's just Reimu doing something absurdly powerful because she's Reimu.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Oh. Well that explains it.

Weird that Yukari would want to seal that off though, it's not like it's a special ability or anything right? It's just Reimu doing something absurdly powerful because she's Reimu.

Well, "absurdly powerful because it's Reimu" is exactly the problem, isn't it? The whole point was to teach her new barrier tricks and give her new weapons to distract her from developing her basic ability to its utmost. She did say it was her "original" power, so I'm not sure why you expected that to be something entirely new.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Well, "absurdly powerful because it's Reimu" is exactly the problem, isn't it? The whole point was to teach her new barrier tricks and give her new weapons to distract her from developing her basic ability to its utmost. She did say it was her "original" power, so I'm not sure why you expected that to be something entirely new.

Nah I was just confused. I interpreted "original power" as referring to a special ability of some kind, rather than just general strength, so I had no idea what Yukari was referring to because Reimu's abilities (like floating or barrier manipulation) did not seem to be sealed at all. This clears it up though, but now i'm wondering if Yukari really thinks this will accomplish anything because Reimu does what Reimu wants, and if she wants to go all out I doubt a seal would stop her.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

BlitzBlast posted:

Man if you think Reimu HWS is crazy, wait till you see Shin Marisa.

Or, going by Caphi's SRW Z2 LP, Omega Marisa.
Well, you DID say you're glad 39M isn't translated yet so it didn't make 39R look bad by comparison.

Sweet mother of butter what is Marisa going to get?

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder
More Touhou-A-Live in about 20 minutes.

http://www.twitch.tv/ryza01

Stream over.

Ryza fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 22, 2015

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Gunna polish off Touhou Ys in about an hour, then maybe play some other crap.

Golden Battler fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 22, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's recently been brought to my attention that all of my tindeck uploads are way too loud, so I checked my audio setting to see what's up. Turns out I had my PC's volume set to 40%. :shobon:

But when I went snooping through my tindeck to see how many tracks I'd need to fix, I found out that the audio levels are just really high all the way back to the FMW1 OST. I could drop all the audio by 13 dB (like I did this this chapter) if it helps, but then I'd have to reupload literally everything. So I figured I should ask if it's an actual problem first.

As a note, while I was able to duck the audio of this chapter's new songs, I couldn't do that for the videos. And I thought they were loud even at 40%. So you might want to lower your audio before clicking the links.

EDIT: Well okay then, fuckoff loud audio back by popular demand. Drop your computer's audio like I do, I guess? v:shobon:v

------

quote:

Bamboo Forest of the Lost
Music: Bizarre Smile

Full Text

quote:

Okay we're not going to beat that group as is. So kidnap their weakest member and trade them for the rabbit.

Also here's some shady drugs.

quote:

Music: Dark Clouds

Full Text

quote:

No seriously, you suck. Come with me and I'll whip you into shape.

*runs away*

Marisa, wait, it's dangerous!

quote:

Full Text

quote:

Have a pep talk, Marisa!

Thanks, but Mima's kind of right. What is my magic, anywa-

SURPRISE ATTACK

Oh come on, I was having a moment here! Eat danma-

Wait, something's wrong with the Hakkero...

------

quote:

Kirisame's Hakkero

This chapter has a ton of forced units.

Team names: Komachi and Elly are Twin Deathscythe, Yuuka and Sunny are Sunflower, and Lunasa and Merlin are Sun/Moon Melody.

Rabbit D posted:

We caught 'em even closer than I was hoping for!

Just grab someone and stuff 'em in a bag!

What's going on? An enemy attack?!

Yes, and it looks like they brought lots of company!

Oh, it's just a bunch of small fry. Here I was expecting something serious.

I'm not in the mood right now. Go make yourselves scarce.

Grk, these intruders are kind of scary...

It's okay, that's what we've got these for! When you eat your dango, you'll get a thousand times more courage!

Okay...!

All of the rabbits get pumped and cast Spirit. And they do actually start with 110 Power.

These rabbits are giving off more pressure than they did last time.

They probably used some secret trick or something!

The point being, don't judge them by their weak appearance.

Marisa, just focus on the enemy for now.

Yeah, I'm ready to...

!!

What's wrong, Marisa?

I knew it wasn't just me... just what is going on?

Can you translate that into non-muttering?

...My Hakkero isn't working!

Huh...?!

I'm channelling my power into it, and nothing's happening. Why, Mini-Hakkero?! Why now, of all times?!

Oh dear. Marisa...!

(Looks like one of the humans is dawdling around. If she keeps that up, she'll be a perfect sitting duck.)

Very well. Anyone who doesn't have their hands full, cover Marisa. All forces, advance! Exterminate the rabbits!

quote:

Victory: Defeat all enemies.
Defeat: Marisa or Mima is defeated.

This map has more to the left, but I'm not sure why since all of the enemies are in this view.

Marisa starts at 50 Power and is back to the moveset she had at the very beginning of FMW1. That's right, she doesn't even have Proto Malice.

Nitori is locked to her regular form for this chapter, so she's pretty useless too.

Alice is mostly fine, since the enemies aren't that accurate, but she's really feeling the loss of Marisa's team attack.

Thankfully, Patchy and Mima are the same as ever.

I gave Merlin the Live Ticket, so she can start spamming her MAP right away.

The smart thing to do would be to keep Marisa in the back, but eh, it's Normal. May as well have her try and pull her own weight.

If this were FMW1, losing Marisa would cripple my entire team. But it's FMW3, so all not having Magic Team does is give the other characters a chance to do something.

Music: Be a Shooting Star

(Remember that song name!)

Kind of sad neither Marisa or Mima have special battle dialogue for this chapter. Mima doesn't even change what she says if she has to cover Marisa.

Also even though Marisa's been nerfed, she still does much more damage than good old disappointing Nitori.

A cutscene starts on the second enemy phase.

These humans are tough stuff. I'd better eat more dango, or I'll never be able to keep up.

But didn't Tewi say we shouldn't eat too much?

Tewi wouldn't give us something that's bad for us! Let's eat the whole lot and beat the tar out of those humans!

The rest of the rabbits are supposed to chime in now, but they're already dead. :v:

Whoa, they're getting really spirited!

What is that dango, anyway?

Nyahaha, this is the secret weapon Tewi gave us! It peps you up and makes you stronger when you eat it!

Isn't that doping?

And it feels weird to the touch. It must have some strange ingredients.

...I guess Wriggle had her bugs go grab some?

More importantly, Marisa, is your Hakkero still acting up?

It's not working at all. I keep trying, and nothing.

Come on, what's gotten into you?!

Calm down, Marisa. If you panic, the enemy could single you out!

Lady Patchouli, why do you think this is happening?

Marisa's magic is likely out of tune with the Hakkero.

That can happen?

Mental agitation can cause instability in one's magic. I believe that Marisa's inner turmoil has severed her tie to her Hakkero.

That's awful...

You made this mess, Mima. Shouldn't you be bailing her out?

Hmm...

(I didn't want to believe it, but now it's becoming all too clear. Your heart is wavering, and it's separated you from your magic.)

(Does your magic truly mean so little to you?)

How does my Patchouli keep dodging things?

The three Prismrivers all have different sizes: Merlin is L, Lunasa is M, and Lyrica is S. This means Lyrica is pretty weak until she gets Ignore Size!

Which she starts with enough PP for but I always just get all three MP Save first thing.

We're whittling them down!

They should know that winners don't do drugs!

No, I sense more presences...

Rabbit posted:

Leader, I'm all out of dango!
Two new rabbits spawn in.

I need more, or I'm gonna lose all my energy!

Oh, great. Now we've got people begging for more!

Gah, of all the times to not be able to use my power...!

...It seems I'm done observing your power.

Lady Mima...!

It was unfortunate that you came under attack when you did, but I hope you understand now. This is what happens when you lack faith in magic.

You ought to join me and start over.

What...?

Cast away everything and start anew with a clean slate. Join me and shrug off your needless distractions.

Needless distractions...? Is that what you call my Hakkero, and all my magic?!

You wanted me to watch you, didn't you? Isn't this what you want?

That's...

Oh, no. The way Marisa is right now, she might really go for it.

Marisa, stop and think about this!

Nitori...?

I know you respect Mima a lot as a teacher. But that's no reason to let everything you've done be for nothing! That's messed up!

Everything I've done...?

I hardly think Mima was the only reason you practiced magic.

Don't you have something else, something special? Remember what that is!

...My special something. My reason for using magic...

All this time, I...

They're just talking and ignoring us!

In that case...!

Music: As Time Stands Still

This has actually been playing from the start, but it's better if I cue it up now.

Rabbit D flies over and sucker punches Marisa.

Agh!

Watch out, Marisa!

Then she goes for the finish.

M-Marisaaaa!

Marisa's been knocked out.

Is she unconscious?!

Excuse me! We were trying to have a conversation!

Heheheh, that was like taking candy from a baby.

Now to grab her and take her hostage!

A hostage?! Is that what you were going for?!

You better believe it. Fighting you normally wouldn't get us any closer to getting that rabbit. So, we'll take a human shield and get you to play along!

The impudence...!

Whoever's close by, keep Marisa covered!

O-on it!

Rabbit posted:

Grr, you're trying to stop us?

Nitori! Lady Patchouli! Alice!

We're low on options right now. Let's split up and intercept them.

If that's your game, we've got a game of our own.

Come on out, Double-Dango Rabbits!

Alice posted:

They still have more...?!
A few rabbits and a bunch of evil eyes spawn in.

We warned you! This is Tewi's turf, the Bamboo Forest of the Lost! I dare you to try and take on this many at once!

Since Marisa went down, the defeat condition changes to failing to protect her crash site, which is indicated by a cross of white tiles.

This is pretty hard to screw up.

The rabbits are the sturdiest enemies, but they're also the slowest since they're grounded. The Evil Eyes are much bigger threats,

but they go down ridiculously easily. Any team, or anyone with a nearby Support Attacker, can take them down right away.

One turn and they're basically all almost gone.

Did I mention that Yuuka starts with Pattern Type? Because she does.

Seriously why do enemies keep attacking her.

On the next turn I clean up the rest of the grunts.

39M is basically an interactive cutscene on Normal so I wrap up quickly.

These rabbits just won't go down. Is that the dango working?

It's impressive, but I sense some kind of misfortune.

Nitori, how's Marisa?

She's not waking up at all...

And our situation is slowly but surely getting worse.

Heheheh, this focus fire is working out better than I thought it would. So in that case...!

Cue even more rabbits.

Are you trying to add insult to injury?!

This operation's going great, thanks to that weakling human. I might as well beat up the rest of you while I'm at it!

Of all the rotten luck. Get Marisa over here, and-

Not on my watch!

Marisa's crash site is bombarded.

Aaagh!

This somehow hits Alice even though Patchouli is the only one still there. :v:

Alice! Everyone!

Heheheh, Tewi knew what she was doing! Take one down, and the rest all fall like dominos!

The next line depends on who I picked in 29M.

(We can't keep protecting you forever, Marisa.)

(Stand up. You're better than this...!)

Marisa posted:

Urgh...

Meanwhile!

Where... am I? I feel so powerless...

Oh. I got beaten. I couldn't use my Hakkero, even then...

Why won't you respond to me, Mini-Hakkero? Aren't we supposed to be a team?

...Or have you given up on me, too?

I guess it'd make sense. Even Lady Mima wouldn't spare me a second glance... What have I been doing, all this time?

And what's this empty feeling? I feel like I should know it...

quote:

Forest of Magic
Music: Night of the Wishing Star - Segment I

...!

Where is this? It feels kinda nostalgic.

Is it the old Forest of Magic?

...? What's a kid doing out here?

Hey, kid. It's dangerous to be alone in the Forest of Magic. You should go ho-

Hey, wait a minute...!

Yeah, I know. You've got nowhere to go home to.

(Of course. How could I ever forget the day I ran away from home?)

(I had my heart set on practicing magic, and I got into an argument even worse than our usual ones. Nothing I said mattered to my parents...)

(I was miserable. I ran away from home in the heat of the moment, but I had no idea where to go from there. So I walked into the forest, alone and emptyhanded.)

...That was my house. It was so clean back then, no junk or clutter. But once I started living in the forest...

I see. You want to use magic?

Then I'll teach you.

I'm Mima. And you are?

...!

...Lady Mima. The one who found me and taught me magic.

My memory of our first meeting's still as clear as day. I was fretting and dawdling around, and then she took my hand and showed me magic...

I was so happy. I tried my hardest to imitate her, to follow her. I wanted to be a magician like her one day...

But...

Cut to a little further in time.

...!

There's a flash of light.

Well done. You followed my instructions perfectly. Now to review the spell I taught you recently... Hm?

Something sparkles.

There's something I've never seen before. Did you come up with that yourself?

I see. I suppose it looks flashy enough.

(When was it that I first started doing my own magic? I started adding more flourishes and personal touches to spells...)

(What was that look that Lady Mima got, when I did?)

Music: Stop

(What was it that even got me started on that?)

...Do you know? You look pretty happy.

The younger Marisa runs off a bit.

!

Hey, wait!

Why are you running? Are you trying to lead me somewhere?

quote:

Kourindou
Music: Night of the Wishing Star - Segment II
The kanji say Kirisame Residence, but the dialog and timeframe imply this is Kourindou. I dunno.

...!

Ooh, that was two in a row!

Yeah, one more and it'll be ten!

I appreciate your excitement, but could you two please keep it down a little? You can see meteor showers like this several times a year.

Hey, you're the one who told us about this one, Kourin! You said there were gonna be a bunch of shooting stars tonight, like over a hundred!

Kourin, Reimu...!

That's right. This was the first night I saw a shooting star, at Kourin's place. I was with Reimu. We stayed at the shop super late...

A shooting star streaks through the sky.

There's another one!

Uhh, spell, spell, spell...

Say what?

It's a magic wish! You can't repeat a wish three times unless you make it extra short.

I guess, but I can't even tell what you're wishing for...

I'd say you're more into this than she is, Marisa.

Yeah, I like shooting stars the best out of all stars. They fly by and disappear fast, but they're the brightest in the whole sky.

Now that you mention it, yeah...

That's it. My magic's focus is gonna be shooting stars!

Shooting stars, hm? I see, I see. You've always been a fan of flashy things.

Can you even make shooting stars with magic?

Sure you can, magic is amazing! You can do anything with it if you try!

And not just star magic. There's light magic, and-

You're pretty ambitious for an amateur student.

So what if I am? I'm still a magician.

Y'know, Kourin, when I pull it off, I'll use your tools and give you some free advertising.

Good grief, don't I feel honored to have a future great magician offering that.

But I'll wait until you've become the flashiest billboard ever.

quote:

Kirisame Residence

...That's right. That's how I came to my current magic!

It was more than Lady Mima. I've gotten to know lots of other people. I've honed my own skills.

Yuuka's a giant creep, but she still gave me hints on light magic.

Alice is always aloof, but she cares about others.

I talk science with Nitori, and magic with Patchouli...

Reimu and I never stop arguing, but she's always with me.

And Kourin's always got my back.

Even my clutter around the house keeps growing, because so much of it is stuff I can't throw away.

...Hah, I never realized the magic I believed in was so ordinary.

I won't throw anything away. I don't have anything not worth keeping! So I've got no reason to get hung up over anything!

Music: Girls, Surpass the Carnage

Argh!

Lady Patchouli!

This is getting unpleasant. We've completely lost the initiative.

I guess Tewi was right, this isn't a walk in the park. But surely they'll never be able to handle this!

Koakuma posted:

They had even more in hiding?!

This is turning into a real headache. We can't even get close...

Yuuka, can't you just blow up all the rabbits at once?

I could, if you don't mind Marisa and all of her friends getting vaporized.

I wasn't expecting this to be such a hard fight.

Okay... You two grab Marisa and run for it!

Nitori, we couldn't!

It's either that or they get all of us. If someone makes a distraction, you should be able to get away!

That doesn't mean you should be the one!

Aieee!

Well at least Nitori is actually close to the blast radius.

Nitori!

Heheheh, you still think you can get away? That's funny. Since you wouldn't surrender, you're all going down together!

Argh, gotta keep bearing it...!

Not anymore, you don't!

Mima posted:

Marisa!

Oh, hey~. You can still stand after the trouncing I gave you?

You should've stayed down. It's like you're asking for a coup de grace!

She's right, Marisa! As long as you can't use your Hakkero-

Nope!

...!

:siren: Music: Stardust Hero :siren:

I remembered what my magic was. And what I wanted from it.

Marisa...?

My magic used to be empty, but now it's overflowing. And not just from you, Lady Mima. From all the things I've done, all the people I've met. Every bit of history gives me its own power.

So I'm not casting away anything! This is my magic!

Whoa, is that light coming from that little box?

Answer me, Mini-Hakkero!

The new and improved Marisa takes down a rabbit, which somehow takes down every single one of the rabbits that spawned in that cutscene because, uh, magic.

Yikes! She got the Double-Dangos?!

Marisa, your power...!

Your power and speed are both nothing like they were before!

The Hakkero answered me... My magic got through to it!

Marisa, you've regained your magic!

Yeah, my mind is clear now. I can even feel the pulse of the Hakkero.

Sorry about all that, Mini-Hakkero. But we're gonna stay in this together!

Wow, the new Hakkero's got some serious power...

No, simply channeling magic through it wouldn't get that kind of output.

(It's the power of will... Is that what the Hakkero responded to?)

I hope that means you're finally back in business?

Yeah, sorry. You guys had a hard time with me down. But I'm going all-out now! Leave the rest to me!

Oh, come on! Just because you're feeling a little better, doesn't mean-

A little? I'm in top form!

I'll give you a taste of the full Marisa magic menu, with all of the trimmings!

Now you're just getting cocky! Okay, last wave! Come on out!

Six more enemies spawn in.

Whoa, looks like they're playing for keeps!

Don't worry, I'm in top form! I'll give them a taste of the full Marisa magic menu, with all of the trimmings!

Yeah for some reason Marisa just repeats herself. :shrug:

quote:

Victory: Defeat Rabbit D.
Defeat: Marisa or Mima is defeated.
Bonus: Use three of Marisa's attacks, then have her achieve the victory condition.
That last enemy spawn used to not be there, so you had to leave some enemies alive for Marisa to style on.

Every time Marisa does an attack, a conversation will play. I'll go in order, so first is Stream Laser's.

It feels like all of my spells are powered up!

Marisa's got her groove back. Actually, she's even more in tune than before.

Now can we let loose with some excitement?

Oh, were you girls trying to keep it down?

Lyrica was going on about reading the mood. That's too hard~!

I guess sometimes I walk on eggshells too much.

Go on, then. Show me your clear new sound.

Sure, I'll make it brighter and flashier than ever!

My Illusion Laser's been bumped up to Stream Laser!

Music: Stardust Hero (ver. Game)

The intro for Stardust Hero only plays during that one cutscene. The rest of the time it's just this.

You really are in top form, huh, Marisa?

Yeah, I feel like I can do some experimenting now.

Hey, why do you look so happy?

Because it's cool seeing you like this! You're way better suited to being a hero than a hostage!

Well, if that's how you wanna describe me... I'll show you a new technique.

I came up with a magical napalm based on your gunpowder. It exploded when exposed to magic, so it was kind of defective.

It's what?! You can't use that, that's dangerous!

That's what I used to think, but tools and magic are all about how you use them.

I won't let my old work go to waste. I'll blow open a path with Magic Napalm!

Hmph, you kept us waiting long enough.

Sorry about that, Patchouli. I guess I had you worried, huh?

I can't make that up to you, but I can show you some cool magic.

Wait, I know that spell! That's Lady Patchouli's...!

I've been researching it ever since we fought. I put my own spin on this, so you can call it mine now.

Good grief. I don't know whether to call you industrious or sly. But you have my interest. Show me a spell that does the original justice.

Sure. I'll use this to mow down everyone around me!

The lasers that fire in all directions...

Non-Directional Laser!

I see you've finally mastered your new Hakkero.

Yeah, all that time I spent passed out helped open my eyes.

Thanks for talking to me when I was down in the dumps. It really helped.

I'm glad to hear it. Seeing you so weak-willed throws me off.

Okay, you probably could've gone without saying that... but fine. Join up with me for a teamup attack.

The usual "coordinated" maneuver?

Nah, I've got a new idea. I'm gonna fly! Try not to fall off!

What's that supposed to mea-

Malice Cannon's animation starts with Marisa flying by and throwing Alice onto her broom.

Anyway Malice Cannon is completely insane. It's post-movement, has a huge accuracy modifier (that's even higher than it looks thanks to Marisa and Alice's friendship), costs barely anything, and can be used as soon as Marisa and Alice hit 110 Power. With a team attack, it will kill or at least cripple any grunt in the game.

Basically the only problem with it is that its range shifted to 1-3, but Artful Sacrifice covers 3-5 (6 if you have a Range boosting item on Alice like I always do) so as long as you're using Magic Team it shouldn't be an issue.

Time for the finish.

Even the Mini-Hakkero says I can do it. This thing should be able to handle my full power!

Ho hoh, at least you're spirited.

Yuuka...!

I heard it all. You've been bound and determined to defeat me ever since our little fight back in winter, yes? Do you think your dream could come true, now that you have your new toy?

Eh, I was ticked off at you back then for making fun of Lady Mima. But I'm not gonna keep letting that bug me.

Oh. Pity.

Don't get me wrong, I still wanna beat you. But I'd rather leave Lady Mima out of it, and make it a straight up contest between you and me!

Heheh, of course. I think I'd enjoy that more anyway.

Very well, show me your new light cannon.

I call it Final Spark!

Music: The Moment Dreams Reach the Stars

It took like ten patches before Final Spark actually had the Master Spark theme. Shame on you, Sanbondo. :colbert:

I wanted to make a SRW joke for this move, but a cutscene plays right after this that I'd rather not kill the audio for.

Here's why I call Marisa's upgrade "Shin Marisa". :v:

For you non-SRW fans, this part of the animation is a direct reference to Shin Getter Robo's Stoner Sunshine.

:toot:

Grr, I can't believe I'm losing this badly...

You're all that's left. Give it up!

...I trust that you've found an answer?

Lady Mima...!

I had no idea what your magic truly was. But in this battle, I saw it all. It's a pleasant magic, full of many cumulative convictions.

But do you really intend to stick with it?

What do you mean?

You will eventually hit a hard limit. It's inevitable. Your human body may become the limiting factor for your will.

But it doesn't have to end that way. You can still join me-

Sorry, Lady Mima.

Marisa zooms to Rabbit D's side.

I've always been grateful to you for giving me your attention, for teaching me magic. And I still am. But from now on, I have to do this with my own power. Otherwise, it'd all be pointless.

Your own power, hm...

That's right, Lady Mima. It doesn't matter where you go, or where your eyes are. I'm going to use my own magic, and one day, I'll master a spell so flashy and so powerful, it'll reach you.

Even for just one fleeting moment...!

Like a blazing, shooting star!

Watch the video!

quote:

Kourindou

...?

A shooting star... Now there's a curious sight when the night itself is frozen. Has Marisa mastered her new Hakkero?

...She'll be fine, I'm sure. Humans as unchanging as Marisa are few and far between. And I know I put in all the wishes I could, for the Marisa that I know.

You'll carry those wishes through the sky with you.

After all, the fate of my shop rests with you, my favorite billboard.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 7, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

Waterfront

Full Text

quote:

Let's hear your answer one last time.

Sure. I've made up my mind.

I can't cast everything away and follow you.

------

Shin Marisa Kirisame

+200 HP, +20 MP, +5 Mobility, +50 Armor, +0.5 Cost, blah blah blah. Shin Marisa is a huge boost to Magic Team because Malice Cannon is absurdly, ridiculously good. Shin Marisa is also the overall strongest character in the game, both single hit (a couple people have stronger attacks, but Marisa has the most multipliers and buffs) and average. She actually takes over Alice's place as the premier support attacker, with Final Spark and Blazing Star being two of the hardest hitting attacks in the entire game. Theoretically her MP would be a bottleneck but Koakuma exists.
The game doesn't mention it, but I actually get some Scarlet Metal in my inventory after Marisa upgrades. It's what SRW fans would know as the Hero's Mark: +800 HP, +150 Armor, and +20% to Accuracy and Critical rate. That last one is the only thing Marisa really gets out of it, but I usually stick it on her anyway.

All Attacks
Battle theme: Stardust Hero [ver. Game] (Love-colored Master Spark)
Full battle theme: Stardust Hero
Final Spark theme: The Moment Dreams Reach the Stars (Dimensional Dream)
Trichromatic Lotus Butterfly theme: Trichromatic Danmaku Träumerei (Dichromatic Lotus Butterfly)

Now that Reimu and Marisa have upgraded, let's compare them at their best:

Aria of Forbidden Magic Team

VS

Illusionary Barrier Team

I want to talk about how these two are in the source game first. There, Border Team is considered to be the outright best team for beginners, and great for survival in general. They have the smallest hitbox, the longest deathbomb period, arguably the most useful gimmicks, and ridiculous homing bullets that don't sacrifice too much strength. Meanwhile Magic Team is technically the strongest team in the game, but that's pretty much all there is to them. They're actually considered the worst of the four teams because of their awful spread, near-useless gimmicks, and in general poor performance.

Switch the genre to a strategy RPG, though, and the tables turn. FMW3 is remarkably faithful to how these two teams were in IN, so Border Team is nigh-immortal and Magic Team hits like a truck covered in trucks freefalling from Mt. Everest. Thing is, in a game like SRW being able to hit hard is much, much more important than being able to stay alive. In fact, thanks to the Counter skill a good offense is the same thing as a strong defense! Throw in just how much extra damage Marisa can pump out with Support Attacks compared to Reimu's more meager output and there's just no contest. Magic Team wins.

------

So you've stopped playing? Good work.

...Having drawn out the full power of the Mini-Hakkero, Marisa returns to the investigation in high spirits.

But then, Reimu's group appears before them... what's that, a fight?

It's the long-awaited showdown! Our spirits are high, so let's go for it!

Chapter 40 of Fantasy Maiden Wars I:

"Showdown! Reimu vs Marisa".

No matter what happens, don't lose, Marisa! I don't really know anyone else.

Go, go, Reimu! You can do it!

------

Due to a clusterfuck of behind the scenes stuff, there's actually no vote for the next chapter. The IRC already decided my next team. :shobon:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 6, 2015

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

I was going to say you had Meiling's portrait for one of Marisa's lines, but it's been fixed now.

Also, holy poo poo Marisa, UPGRADE GET. Also, I see that they've chosen to ignore the hints that Marisa's planning on becoming a yokai magician. Live fast, die young, leave a good looking corpse.

(Also, all of these Mad Max emotes and none of them are WHITENESS ME!! For shame.)

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
39M is seriously so much better than 39R it's ridiculous. 39R is just like "gently caress you mom give me my new clothes", where-as 39M is this really elaborate character developing chapter. There's the whole question of motivations, her getting shot down, that whole flashback sequence, and the Battle Mastery basically being "yo go check out how loving cool Marisa is now", with the awesome conversations preceding each attack.

Also, it's not clear from the screenshots, but you can't actually use Blazing Star in 39M proper - they save it just for that story attack. And then they do the fade to white with the Stage Clear... god drat it's such a cool chapter :swoon:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ok, yeah. That owned far harder than Reimu's upgrade chapter. It's appropriate I suppose, super robots tend to get their upgrades from big character development moments rather than just straight upgrades to their mech. Also, it makes sense that Blazing Star is ultimately more powerful than Final Spark considering it was her last word and all, but Final Spark still looks much cooler.

I'm pretty mad we're not going to vote for the characters next chapter though. Every team better be as impractical as possible. :arghfist:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Ghost Team is still the Best Team.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Golden Battler posted:

39M is seriously so much better than 39R it's ridiculous. 39R is just like "gently caress you mom give me my new clothes", where-as 39M is this really elaborate character developing chapter. There's the whole question of motivations, her getting shot down, that whole flashback sequence, and the Battle Mastery basically being "yo go check out how loving cool Marisa is now", with the awesome conversations preceding each attack.

The pattern of Marisa having the better story continues unabated really.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, it makes sense that Blazing Star is ultimately more powerful than Final Spark considering it was her last word and all, but Final Spark still looks much cooler.

Final Spark actually has more attack power on the status screen, although Blazing Star can benefit from shotgunning and pull off a bigger final numbers. Ultimately, Final Spark is still considered her "finisher", with the fancy music and all, but Blazing Star is more important to the plot since it represents her unique magic.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 24, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

KnoxZone posted:

Ghost Team is still the Best Team.

I want to agree with this, but they seem to be ignoring Yuyuko's midnight snack tour across the land. So how can it be true?

Clarste posted:

Final Spark actually has more attack power on the status screen, although Blazing Star can benefit from shotgunning and pull off a bigger final numbers. Ultimately, Final Spark is still considered her "finisher", with the fancy music and all, but Blazing Star is more important to the plot since it represents her unique magic.

Yeah, I get that Final Spark is the actual 'finisher' and it should be because the Master Spark is pretty much Marisa's calling card. But I think it's cool that when all the bonuses get applied her Last Word is the one that does the most damage. I wonder if we'll be seeing anymore actually? Reimu's a given, but i'm doubting that Ghost Team and Scarlet Team are going to get such major upgrades, and I don't think Alice or Yukari will be getting new moves either. But hey, the game could surprise me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yuyuko did try to eat Nue...

Oh yeah, I don't think Blitz mentioned this and/or I'm completely misremembering, but all of Marisa's moves are considered ranged now. So that's another reason Blazing Star doesn't suck, compared to what it's replacing.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
By the way, I preferred the louder tindecks, since it's a bit weird to have loud tracks for all the songs, then a soft song for Stardust Hero.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

BlitzBlast posted:

...?

A shooting star... Now there's a curious sight when the night itself is frozen. Has Marisa mastered her new Hakkero?

...She'll be fine, I'm sure. Humans as unchanging as Marisa are few and far between. And I know I put in all the wishes I could, for the Marisa that I know.

You'll carry those wishes through the sky with you.

After all, the fate of my shop rests with you, my favorite billboard.
Goddamnit Rinnosuke can't you think of anything but your goddamn business

Also :asoiaf: Marisa leave something to kill for the rest of the group

(all the songs before this update are super loud and I always have to click on them then go to that tab and reduce the volume, but it's survivable)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Now that's how you do a character upgrade.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Fuckoff loud audio back by popular demand.

I guess drop your computer's volume to 50% like I do before you read an update?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
My volume is already at 1% :smith:

Seriously I have no idea what the gently caress is wrong with my headset but at 1% it's normal for most things and still too loud for others and I have no idea why.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If you're using Windows, right click your sound icon and choose Open Volume Mixer. You might have your internet browser set to 100% audio or something.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I really appreciated the quieter audio. Not having to race to set tindeck's player to 1 pixel of volume before it deafened me was great. :smith:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I just wish somebody had told me way back at the beginning, because now it's just too late to fix every single link. :smith:

• Locked thread