Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

thewireguy posted:

I got a blood blister on my big toe.I guess I am not steeping and dragging my feet.I less sore on the quads, but both big toes and balls of feet are rubbed raw

My feet used to rub sore all the time, but I started wearing these socks a couple of years ago and haven't had any problems since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I started wearing similar double layered socks for boxing and it cleared up my blister problem

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

dupersaurus posted:

My feet used to rub sore all the time, but I started wearing these socks a couple of years ago and haven't had any problems since.

Upon closer inspection it looks like I made a blister and it burst on the other foot. I guess this is how calluses are made. :)

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Alternatively, practice without socks on. It can help with learning how to grip with your feet and you develop pretty strong callouses.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
It wasn't a function of calluses (I've got plenty), just little bits of wiggle and pressure against the shoe. This way it's the socks rubbing against the socks, not your skin. Even better than taping everything up.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
We do it barefoot on mats. Last time I was limping the next day from going up and downhill with the fencers walk. I am getting used to that, now my big toe and ball of my foot are rubbed raw. Capeoira taught me bad habits. People will stab you in the back if you try any swinging around, but I think we have covered that.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
This thread is loving amazing when read with gizoogle.net

quote:

FOREWORD: I be a shiznit fencer, so when I refer ta "fencing" up in dis post I'ma be defaultin ta modern Olympic fencing, not old-rear end or oldschool fencin (more on dem later). Feel free ta say poo poo bout them, as well as kendo, wushu, etc. up in dis thread yo, but letz not let dis devolve tha gently caress into a gangbangin' finger-lickin' dirty-rear end shitstorm of neckbeardz jumpin off bout some shiznit over whose school knows how tha gently caress ta handle they hanzo steel better.

end of shitpost

The Holy Queef fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 22, 2015

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

The Holy Queef posted:

end of shitpost

Remarkable.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

The Holy Queef posted:

end of shitpost

That is amazing. I am imagining Kevin Federline (sp?) holding a foil sideways like a gangster. Proclick, bravo!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just instantly get hooves instead of blisters, the heels of my feet are like pebble dash.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'm fairly certain I can put an Uhlmann barrel+tip on an LP foil blade. What about the wires though? Can any wire go with any barrel?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Verisimilidude posted:

The Holy Queef posted:

end of shitpost

Inconceivable.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

I'm fairly certain I can put an Uhlmann barrel+tip on an LP foil blade. What about the wires though? Can any wire go with any barrel?

I forged a firepoker and used copper for the handle. Can you just wind whatever wire around there? I wish I could forge my own sword, but it has been 15 years. I won't but some generic thing.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

EmmyOk posted:

I've re-tipped a LP blade with an Uhlmann tip before, I think the blade/barrel thread is standard. Not sure about the wire, though - do you have the wire and tip you want to use on hand?

Thewireguy, are you saying you're fencing barefoot? If so then :stare:
Re blisters and things, I've had no problems just with ordinary socks and a pair of generic well-fitting trainers.
I didn't tie my laces tight enough a few weeks back, though, and my foot slid forwards inside the shoe hard enough to put a big bruise under my toenail. Deceleration at the end of a lunge can be brutal, apparently.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Yup, fencing barefoot. I don't know any better and that is how it is. 6 th class tomorrow. Wish me luck.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

thewireguy posted:

Yup, fencing barefoot. I don't know any better and that is how it is. 6 th class tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Whoa, definitely wear some closed shoes - you don't need anything special, sneakers or trainers of some description will be fine. It'll be way easier on your feet and if your opponent spazzes out and accidentally steps on your foot (or stabs it), you'll be really glad you were wearing something. Good luck to you, though!

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks
I can see going barefoot for historical, if you do a lot of grappling or whatever, but I wouldn't allow it in my (sport) classes for the reasons Achmed gave.

It always amazes me how many little kids walk in wearing flip flops, though. I feel bad making them sit out for the fun stuff, but I don't trust students enough to take that risk.

Edit: I'm not certain on foils, but with epees all german wires/tip parts are interchangable with LP. I swap them around all the time.

ScratchAndSniff fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 23, 2015

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I think you want a German wire for the barrel. Uhlmann might have their own branded wire, or just get the generic German from Absolute.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

dupersaurus posted:

I think you want a German wire for the barrel. Uhlmann might have their own branded wire, or just get the generic German from Absolute.

This seems to bet he consensus. I have raided the club armoury and found a few full uhlmann points as well as some wires which I believe to be uhlmann/German.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

EmmyOk posted:

This seems to bet he consensus. I have raided the club armoury and found a few full uhlmann points as well as some wires which I believe to be uhlmann/German.
If you have all the bits, you could just assemble the barrel, spring, wire and tip without a blade to see if they all fit together OK. Nothing's permanent until you glue the wire into the blade, anyway...

I'd have thought that barefoot would be worse for HEMA, given that the blades look a lot stiffer? I know that target is all way above the feet, but all it takes is for someone to spaz out and lose control of a cut/thrust for half a second and suddenly it ends up in the wall, floor, etc.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

For those interested, HEMA-mans Richard Marsden recently published his book on Polish saber, available on Amazon and it seems pretty great. If you're interested please get a copy. The dude is legit and is arguably one of the foremost experts on Polish saber in the world.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

Whoa, definitely wear some closed shoes - you don't need anything special, sneakers or trainers of some description will be fine. It'll be way easier on your feet and if your opponent spazzes out and accidentally steps on your foot (or stabs it), you'll be really glad you were wearing something. Good luck to you, though!

I don't know if that is an option... Nobody does. I just thought I was being a huge sissy, and am trying to suck it up and wait for my calluses.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Some shoe, any shoe. The thought of fencing barefoot... ech.

Everyone fences barefoot where you are? Run. Run away fast and find some people who aren't looney.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

I'd have thought that barefoot would be worse for HEMA, given that the blades look a lot stiffer? I know that target is all way above the feet, but all it takes is for someone to spaz out and lose control of a cut/thrust for half a second and suddenly it ends up in the wall, floor, etc.
This is not very high on my list of things to prepare for, to be honest. to put things into perspective, it's super common for people to practice without gloves, too, and people don't generally make a fuss over that.

Really, fencing barefoot on mats is hardly the most outlandish thing. I'm pretty sure all Japanese styles go barefoot, mats or no mats, and wearing shoes on mat sounds weird in general (I just don't get wrestlers).

I wouldn't pick just any shoe for HEMA stuff, either, but that's because I rolled an ankle two years ago wearing running shoes and still hate and fear all shoes with mushy padded heels. My shoes of choice are off-brand All-Stars, and I've been pretty happywith both the price, and how much balance the thin flat sole gives me.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I used to fence barefoot until I got some 17th century shoes for reenactment and started wearing those to fencing, since a lot of modern sneakers are too grippy to let your feet slide forward correctly. It was no big.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Do you not have any epeeists where you are or something? Barefoot toe touches seem ugly.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ravenfood posted:

Do you not have any epeeists where you are or something? Barefoot toe touches seem ugly.
I do 17th century fencing, and they usually aim for the face, neck, or chest. You can't kill a dude by sniping his toes.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Not mine, but here's some neat sidesword + dagger sparring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u9al15uHt4

edit: next time I'll remember to link the video.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 24, 2015

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

Not mine, but here's some neat sidesword + dagger sparring.
I think you forgot the video.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

II guess my compression shorts were a bit too cheap because my sweat bled them into my brand new pair of breeches. Hopefully the marks will wash out :smith:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Feet might not always be target but I can't see how some sort of footwear is a bad thing. by all means wear thin/slightly slippery soles if that works for you, so long as you get the control you need out of it, but it's the situations where something goes wrong where you need the protection. I've seen plenty of novices doing a poorly-executed lowline parry where they go way too far with the blade and end up banging it into the ground.

Basically it's the same logic as wearing a mask in foil. The face might not be target but it doesn't mean you won't accidentally take a hit there...

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 25, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazy Achmed posted:

Feet might not always be target but I can't see how some sort of footwear is a bad thing. by all means wear thin/slightly slippery soles if that works for you, so long as you get the control you need out of it, but it's the situations where something goes wrong where you need the protection. I've seen plenty of novices doing a poorly-executed lowline parry where they go way too far with the blade and end up banging it into the ground.

Basically it's the same logic as wearing a mask in foil. The face might not be target but it doesn't mean you won't accidentally take a hit there...

of course. as soon as i got proper shoes i wore 'em

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
So hey any of y'all seen this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLTcVJGMBkQ

Anybody familiar enough with tulwar or other South Asian martial arts to tell whether he's full of poo poo? because it seems like he is but idk for sure.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Anybody familiar enough with tulwar or other South Asian martial arts to tell whether he's full of poo poo? because it seems like he is but idk for sure.

1v3? I call bullshit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEr8-O_gZ98
@4:31

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

His beard is the source of his power.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My Facebook feed has exploded with people talking about blazers and flying. This means Summer Nats (and the July Challenge! :krad:) starts in 9 hours or so in San Jose, CA. Does this mean the everyone on the US team will be fencing for top honors for this season? Hell no! That happened in March for Division I (the ones that go to the Olympics), with Juniors and Cadets at JO's in February and Wheelchair in April. This is the Champs for everybody else, with the July Challenge being a regular Div 1, Junior, and Cadet NAC. Except it's not a NAC, because somebody promised there wouldn't be a NAC, hence "Challenge." God, this sport is so stupid sometimes

Unfortunately, I doubt there will be any live broadcasting of even the bouts in the semis, because as mentioned previously it's not the championship for our top fencers. The bright side is everyday US Fencing will be posting bouts from the video rounds (Round of 8, typically) on their Youtube channel. Even better, the first few days is the "Challenge," so these will be some good bouts to watch.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Double hits or an opponent who is as fast or even faster than him dont exist in india, so hes perfectly right :colbert:

Nektu fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 27, 2015

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

One of these days I'm going to qualify for Nats then spend hundreds of dollars to have my rear end stomped in Div2 'cause that's what we do. Either that or my coach will finally convince me to start reffing nationally, and I'll shoot myself on the floor somewhere around day five in Div3 women's epee.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

No idea. I guess the motions and techniques may be legit historically accurate? But there's no way to tell if anything actually works if they're using super-slow-motion and not actually fencing. The beards and turbans are pretty badass, though.
The bit where he explains that the weapons they're holding are "real" and "razor sharp" makes me want to call bullshit, as these are the worst things for demonstrating stuff. Wouldn't it be more convincing if they actually did some movement at full speed and actually hit each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

dupersaurus posted:

Either that or my coach will finally convince me to start reffing nationally...

Do it! Especially if you're afraid you won't get a drinking problem, because the best ref mentoring occurs at the bar.

Seriously, if you enjoy the sport and have a knack for reffing, do it. It's fun, challenging, and, sometimes, you get paid to do it! Yankees can gently caress off in regards to being paid. :bahgawd:

quote:

and I'll shoot myself on the floor somewhere around day five in Div3 women's epee.

Oh that's cute. Have you seen Div3 Women's Foil? What about a youth event with both fencers crying? There is worse than Div3 Women's Epee. So much worse.