Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just like some oval office-arse in a suit would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I love that the show not only seems to anticipate that the viewer's reaction will be "Oh, he's going Tyler Durden," but pretty much responds by saying "Yeah, what if he is?"

They're not trying to snow you in some effort to build to a "shocking" "reveal". It's got enough swagger to let you make up your own mind, and enough confidence to think you'll be invested either way. And it earns every last ounce.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i didnt like it. his life is too good. he has a close friend who always tries to help him, he has a steady job which he is good and appreciated at, and he has a sexy babe drug dealer who wants to give him free drugs to sleep with her. dude living the american dream

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
none of that lets him impose his intellectual and moral superiority upon anybody he deems fit so

clearly his life is hell

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 22, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The tv ads had me intrigued and the topic always gets me intrigued, but I wasn't sure it would hold up. Rami Malek always seemed like a bit actor to me, so I wasn't expecting much.

I am 3 minutes into the pilot and I'm already beyond impressed. Rami's stilted, awkward speech and reserved manerisms absolutely sell the introverted vigilante hacker shtick they're going for. Also, I realized how retarded a character Aiden from Watch_Dogs is by comparison (he already seemed like a bad character before). And all that stuff about TOR's vulnerabilities? I just read about that last night. It was loving uncanny, hearing that.

e: I just stared at my screen with an open mouth for a minute after that ended, and it took some real physical effort to break me out of it to type this post. If this show can keep up that level of brilliance the whole way through, this will be the greatest loving thing in history. Period.

e2:

dangerdoom volvo posted:

i didnt like it. his life is too good. he has a close friend who always tries to help him, he has a steady job which he is good and appreciated at, and he has a sexy babe drug dealer who wants to give him free drugs to sleep with her. dude living the american dream

Most depressed people have a ton of good things in their lives that they're too blinded to notice. He's so obsessed with the wordless sense of sheer wrongness he feels in the world that none of that is important to him. It's why he's only capable of understanding people by hacking his way through their personal lives.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 22, 2015

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yep. I'll be watching this.

Love a show that isn't dumbed down for the public.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Wordless sense of wrongness: facebook

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Huh.

Uploader has not made this available in my country.

Guess I'm going to have to wait for the DVD then.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Rougey posted:

Huh.

Uploader has not made this available in my country.

Guess I'm going to have to wait for the DVD then.

Just make a proxy to get around it using a GUI interface made in Visual Basic.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Postal Parcel posted:

Just make a proxy to get around it using a GUI interface made in Visual Basic.
:rolleyes:

At any rate, I enjoyed the hell out of that pilot and will recommend it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Rami Malek definitely has some Nightcrawler style manic eyes going on there. But then again, that was basically his entire role in The Pacific.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Rami Malek really sold a role that seemed way, way to easy to gently caress up and make into a generic brooding hero role. He's actually a depressed autistic shut in, abit a cool and interesting one.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is the episode tomorrow the pilot again or will it be something new?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Considering there's a whole bunch of people who don't watch TV shows on their computers I'd say it'll be the pilot.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Croatoan posted:

Considering there's a whole bunch of people who don't watch TV shows on their computers I'd say it'll be the pilot.

Yeah, pilot tomorrow and next week a new episode.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
:siren: Premiere tonight! :siren:

It's the same episode most of us have already seen. But it's on TV this time!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
With commercials!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
They're filming this literally right next door to where I work, which is neat.

Doubly so if the catering trucks have leftovers at the end of the day, because they just leave that poo poo out for the general public.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
All you people worrying about the Christian Slater Cancellation Curse can breathe easy for a moment: according to Rami Malek's Twitter, the show just got picked up for a second season already.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I dig that the episode name isn't Pilot.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Spergatory posted:

All you people worrying about the Christian Slater Cancellation Curse can breathe easy for a moment: according to Rami Malek's Twitter, the show just got picked up for a second season already.

Hot drat, the first episode (technically) isn't even out yet! This gives me a bit more confidence that the rest of the season will be good.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Spergatory posted:

:siren: Premiere tonight! :siren:

It's the same episode most of us have already seen. But it's on TV this time!

Am I the only one seeing this now? His rant right now is :stare:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Saw it a couple weeks ago....

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm glad that this sounds pretty good, because holy hell do I hate the ads for it. It seems like subway stop here has a bunch of them, so I'm usually seeing the main character's stern, disapproving expression with phrases like "OUR DEMOCRACY HAS BEEN HACKED," "BANKS CONTROL YOUR MONEY," "SOCIAL MEDIA OWNS YOUR RELATIONSHIPS," and other things that Holden Caulfield might say if he binge-listened Bill Hicks standup. But then again, I'd see just as many ads for Jane the Virgin before that came out, and those made it look like a typical teen pregnancy melodrama even though everyone swears it's the best thing ever.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I know it's goony as hell, but I feel they nailed the social anxiety so well. That arriving at the party and just not being able to go in shifting to "Run Away!" mode was perfect.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Y-Hat posted:

I'm glad that this sounds pretty good, because holy hell do I hate the ads for it. It seems like subway stop here has a bunch of them, so I'm usually seeing the main character's stern, disapproving expression with phrases like "OUR DEMOCRACY HAS BEEN HACKED," "BANKS CONTROL YOUR MONEY," "SOCIAL MEDIA OWNS YOUR RELATIONSHIPS," and other things that Holden Caulfield might say if he binge-listened Bill Hicks standup.

That's because that's exactly who the main character is. What the ads don't get across is how the show is smart enough to know that a Holden Caulfield-type is supposed to be kind of a dipshit who isn't as smart as he thinks he is, and plots itself accordingly. You're not supposed to hate him like you hate Holden, but the show is, at best, cautiously on his side.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Elliot is smart enough to know bitcoins are poo poo :colbert:. So does Slater for that matter.

You missed him referencing the gold standard.

Good show though.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I haven't felt the need to tune into USA for years.

I might now though, this was pretty enjoyable.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Gonz posted:

Will Christian Slater be reprising his "George Kuffs" character on this show?

Hard Harry all the way.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
That preview was pretty intense.

EPISODE ONE
MR ROBOT: Elliot, I need you to change an IP address in this .dat file.
ELLIOT: Okay! :)

EPISODE TWO
MR ROBOT: Elliot, I need you to KILL A GUY. :black101:
ELLIOT: :stare:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Spergatory posted:

That preview was pretty intense.

EPISODE ONE
MR ROBOT: Elliot, I need you to change an IP address in this .dat file.
ELLIOT: Okay! :)

EPISODE TWO
MR ROBOT: Elliot, I need you to KILL A GUY. :black101:
ELLIOT: :stare:

At this pace, episode 7 will feature large scale genocide.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I enjoyed the premiere, and i'll stick around for the sole fact that it's a USA original series that doesn't have anything to do with beach law or spy doctors.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
If this show was meant to be a competitor to American Crime, I think it did its job.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I know it's already been renewed for season 2 and I thought it was fantastic, but somebody explain to me how a network like USA with hardcore sister shows like NASCAR and WWE RAW and a please-kill-yourself actor like Christian Slater aren't going to just find a way to gently caress this up

x66Shadow66x
Aug 27, 2004

Don't worry, I'm fine. Charlie's fine by the way.
Wow I really enjoyed this. Anyone else get a rubicon vibe?

Also, I couldn’t help but notice there are 12 guys who run the world..

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The most captivating main character in a long, long time. Great pilot.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
This is about the first time I've been optimistic about a USA show since Psych ended. A fantastic pilot, and it just makes me laugh at how bad Watch_Dogs is.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
I loved the pilot and the small details like how you can see 4chan as an open window on his browser in some scenes. I think there are a lot of really good small things that flesh out the character.

I described this to people as a cyber Dexter with hacking instead of blood. So I hope it doesn't start to tank immediately after the first season like Dexter did.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's exactly what I thought when watching this. The dude is hacker Dexter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

PhantomZero posted:

I loved the pilot and the small details like how you can see 4chan as an open window on his browser in some scenes. I think there are a lot of really good small things that flesh out the character.

I described this to people as a cyber Dexter with hacking instead of blood. So I hope it doesn't start to tank immediately after the first season like Dexter did.

Like I said earlier, the creator at least seems to have a game plan given that he started writing this as a movie. He definitely knows how he wants it to end, which is all Breaking Bad needed. :clint:

• Locked thread