Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
"realism" is a code word, its meaning usually being "i am an idiot"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't understand the desire for realism in the literal cyborg ninja apocalypse simulator but hey. I guess in the near future, we have all kinds of insanely powerful energy weapons, portable nuclear reactors that give off no radiation whatsoever, and all kinds of bionics/developed mutations, but the ability to make smokeless gunpowder is just impossible without a laboratory.

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

Velkest fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 13, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gunpowder: Unrealistic.

Making a pneumatic rail driver which hits harder than a 12 gauge loaded with slugs from scrap metal: Realistic.

Galm
Oct 31, 2009
Hold that thought, I want to install a CBM that accelerates me to c while high on meth before I turn this flamethrower and wad of duct-tape into a fully-functional turret to properly flame them.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I also need to make a battery capable of powering a flashlight for several hours out of an empty soda can, a knife, and an orange.

e: But rather than just using the battery there, I'll take it out of the flashlight and then put that exact same soda can/knife/orange battery into an ipod that's much smaller than a soda can and use it to listen to music for about two minutes, which will be enough for me to get over my crippling depression and drug addiction.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 21, 2015

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Tehan posted:

Well, he's not wrong, and blackpowder's still in the game, so maybe this isn't so-

:smith:

Wow, man, the devs of this game have pretty weird ideas when it comes to balance. It's way closer to Dead Rising than DayZ already, why not just embrace it and add more less or more unrealistic fun craftable weapons? We've already got the fuckin' ridiculous chainsaw staff thing which is literally from Dead Rising 2.

But hey, it's fixable literally by copying a single block of text from the earlier version (unless they do a super overhaul to the crafting system, which is unlikely since it seems to work pretty well), so it doesn't really matter :v:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I really wish I marked down where safes were. I have a stethoscope now but I don't recall where I found safes.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I thought that too, but then about 9/10 safes I HAVE cracked are empty, so I'm not all that worried about it now, actually.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Regular safes can have a variety of goofy poo poo in them, but gun safes are always worth popping open if you have the means. You can get quite rare weapons and a ton of ammunition out of those things.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Man I just suck so bad at not dying. My current record is five days, and that's only because three were spent reading, eating/drinking, and sleeping safely indoors. I always come across something cool that I hate to lose, too. My last run I found a bunch of dead scientists and walked away with two CBMs, like 7 science IDs, and a book I couldn't read that contained no fewer than 29 recipes. The recipes were a big deal too, modified mininuke, nx-17(?) charge, like four kinds of turrets, and the rest was all CBMs.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Avernus posted:

Man I just suck so bad at not dying. My current record is five days, and that's only because three were spent reading, eating/drinking, and sleeping safely indoors. I always come across something cool that I hate to lose, too. My last run I found a bunch of dead scientists and walked away with two CBMs, like 7 science IDs, and a book I couldn't read that contained no fewer than 29 recipes. The recipes were a big deal too, modified mininuke, nx-17(?) charge, like four kinds of turrets, and the rest was all CBMs.

Try the sheltered start. For some reason it's listed as difficult but I found a flashlight in the tool room and the rivtech shotgun that is super accurate with a bunch of buckshot shells. I was next to a farm and a FEMA camp and an anthill, but I'm too far for the ants to spawn in the forest near me. So I just went and cleared both areas totally and looted the poo poo out of them. I don't know why you get points for this start, except maybe that perishables are rotted and there's the occasional zombified wildlife already. Regular survivors already start with decent winter clothes on so it's not like its hard to grind tailoring out of the huge pile of zombie clothes and make a union suit or something.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Avernus posted:

Why exactly are you dying? It honestly doesn't take a lot to get good at this game, you just gotta know a few tricks.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a way to install lighting on the inside (basement) part of a LMOE shelter. I mean I'm in a forest so wood isn't exactly short, but I'd really prefer to not have to constantly craft lightstrips or stoke a wood stove. I guess eventually I can just build a solar farm outside with a car and just use rechargeable wearable flashlights but come on. I think I'm spoiled by using evac shelters/mine entrances/etc as bases.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So apparently Mi-Go's really aren't that tough! I just stabbed one to death with a knife spear and only had to dodge one attack.

Ignore the fact that I got a couple of criticals and that my melee/piercing weapons skills are at 5 each.

But yeah, this knife spear has been doing real work for me - it seems to do a shitton of damage, and the reach on it is fantastic for kiting backwards with quick +fleet footed. One of these days I'll upgrade to a stronger weapon, but I still haven't found a welder, and although I did find the integrated toolset CBM, I haven't found a power source.

By the way, I found a room in a lab that mentioned a cache of CBMs, but all it is is two computers next to a sealed countertop behind reinforced glass. I hacked into the computers, checked the manifest, and then told it to open, but there were no CBMs. Where are they, or is it just a red herring?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Labs can have multiple small CBM rooms; it's probably not even worth setting off the alarm to open one if you look through the glass and see no CBMs in those particular chambers. I'm not sure how accurate the manifests are, but I assume they list the shared or possible contents of all CBM rooms in a given lab.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Labs can have multiple small CBM rooms; it's probably not even worth setting off the alarm to open one if you look through the glass and see no CBMs in those particular chambers. I'm not sure how accurate the manifests are, but I assume they list the shared or possible contents of all CBM rooms in a given lab.

Ah, cool. I savescummed to check, and nothing was there. The glass didn't even open up when I passed the check - I had to sledgehammer it down.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

Ah, cool. I savescummed to check, and nothing was there. The glass didn't even open up when I passed the check - I had to sledgehammer it down.

I've had to hack a couple of them two or three times to get the glass to open, for some reason; not sure why.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Avernus posted:

If you're running off the generic start guide from the wiki that tells you to build a makeshift sling for early storage, either don't do that or dump it the instant you get literally any other storage item. It's hell on torso encumberance and sends your hit chance as someone with no skills into the shitter.

Also learn to love throwing rocks (and bricks, pool balls, chunks of metal, etc) because throwing rocks has carried most of my recent earlygame successes. As long as you're not trying to kill a horde doing that you can murder zombies all day long by doing that and maybe leading them over a bush you set on fire.

e: Also arson owns for getting hordes off you, both because it'll kill a bunch of zombies and because fire and smoke obliterate your scent trail so anything that doesn't get killed will lose interest as long as you leave the building in a way that keeps you out of sight.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Regular safes can have a variety of goofy poo poo in them, but gun safes are always worth popping open if you have the means. You can get quite rare weapons and a ton of ammunition out of those things.
I've gotten power armor and other high-end wacky stuff (including a Power Armor Hauling Frame) from bank safes way more often than I've found anything in gun safes. Then again I've kinda stopped checking houses at all.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

In other news my dreams of a roaming fortress vehicle are pretty much dead at this point. The 'realism' is just too much, I guess. Running into a single wreckage at 20mph annihilated beyond repair two of my ram-plates, and a short jaunt across town took %50 of the Solarbeast's battery power despite the fact that it carries something like two dozen large storage batteries. Also, it was unable to reliably destroy a picket fence with its 66" drum rollers and had to be partially disassembled so that I could smash a single tile of fence in one blow because a roller was caught up on it.

I could just throw in a bunch of V8s or something instead to solve the fuel economy issue, but then I'd have to worry about gassing it up and I guess nothing is going to solve the problem that running into ANYTHING is more destructive to your vehicle than the stationary object, such that even armored drum rollers can't defeat wrecks with no health remaining on their parts or picket goddamned fences. I guess I'll move the useful poo poo over to my hauling car and use it for small excursions; it's extremely disappointing that a deathmobile just doesn't seem to work. I don't know how any of you have had any luck with them, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong that's making mine fail every conceivable metric from durability to speed to viability of refueling.

It's not just the electric engines, although they're apparently a spectacularly poor choice of powerplant for larger vehicles in this game. The problem of not being able to defeat wooden fences or having armored parts pop off in a low-speed collision with a stationary wreck are also issues.
My Deathmobile works fine. Here are the problems you're facing as I see it:
Electric engines lack oomph. You need to have gas engine (V8 at least) to have enough engine power to run your deathmobile. Gas isn't that rare of a resource considering you can siphon it from the majority of cars you find and it's pretty much the best thing to spend money on (aside from buying training from NPC's.) If you're that worried you can always make it a gas-electric hybrid. Truck Altenators are insane for charging your main battery (and you can add a car alternator on top of that.) Solar panels only work in daytime/good light conditions and it takes a lot of them to keep up with vehicle demand, even upgraded. Don't go overboard with engines though, the more you add the less overall power you're getting from them (the formula diminishes engine power for every one you add.)

You need speed to run over/through anything. If you want to run over anything you need to run it over IE get up to 50 kmph at least. That will get you through brush and wooden/picket fences no problem but don't even bother with wrecks. They're still vehicles with vehicle-like hitpoints and it's just not worth it to run them over (giving them a bash to get them out of your way certainly) and disassembling them to make a path gets you some mechanics skill and metal for making heavy survivor gear.

You didn't mention what armor you're using but Military composite is the best vehicle armor. Superalloy is something of a misnomer with all of the crazy future stuff around in that it's apparently supposed to be the stuff planes and jets are made out of. Really good substance for the weight but nowhere near as sturdy as military-grade armor. (Superalloy MBR's are great though.)

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

Gun safes are only found in gun stores, I presume?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Artificer posted:

Gun safes are only found in gun stores, I presume?

They spawn in houses, I've seen. The bedroom will have a large (3 tile) closet in addition to a bathroom.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

random basements, too

the really cluttered ones with like benches and cabinets all over the place in a layout that no sane human would ever use

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

random basements, too

the really cluttered ones with like benches and cabinets all over the place in a layout that no sane human would ever use

I guess these are supposed to be a den or a library or something but it's just batshit.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

There's two like that: One actually has kind of a sane layout with a bar, a bathroom, sometimes a room with clothes washing/drying machines, and a library area, but there's another that's just random cabinets and lockers shotgunned across the room which are generally just full of garbage. Dunno what those are supposed to be other than just some hoarder.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Oh goodness. I found a Saiga 12 in a basement. What should I do with it? Does everyone just cut off the barrel and shove it into a holster or something?

I'm guessing the range penalty isn't crippling for what is basically a CQC weapon anyways?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Does the location at which you mount solar panels affect the energy gain at all? All the default vehicles I've seen stick them on the back and outside, but I'm not sure why I shouldn't just stick them right in the middle where they're relatively insulated from damage.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Does the location at which you mount solar panels affect the energy gain at all? All the default vehicles I've seen stick them on the back and outside, but I'm not sure why I shouldn't just stick them right in the middle where they're relatively insulated from damage.

I just covered my roof with solar panels. I can run my turbolaser just fine now. :v:

Edit: And no. I don't think it matters.

Edit: Man, now that I have a Saiga 12, I'd like an A7 rifle, maybe the better variant of the laser pistol, and a chain lightning CBM and basically my Cataclysm wishlist will be completed.

Oh right and a CVD Machine so I can put those diamond recipes to good use.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 22, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It doesn't matter and they're like that because it's approximately where they'd be on a real car. Same reason why the engine in spawned cars is always right up at the front when it's probably better in the middle where it isn't going to get destroyed when you run over a bush.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

Is there a way to install lighting on the inside (basement) part of a LMOE shelter. I mean I'm in a forest so wood isn't exactly short, but I'd really prefer to not have to constantly craft lightstrips or stoke a wood stove. I guess eventually I can just build a solar farm outside with a car and just use rechargeable wearable flashlights but come on. I think I'm spoiled by using evac shelters/mine entrances/etc as bases.

Probably the simplest way would be to build a vehicle out of 1 frame, 1 set of vehicle controls, and a vehicle battery. The vehicle control panel has a dome light that acts like the computer screen in evac shelters

Optionally, build a recharging station outside, and use swappable storage batteries, but the dome light takes little enough power that you aren't going to be changing it out very often.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Do that but mount a few headlights or a flood light to it and light up the entire room/area.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Or find an atomic lamp or two just sitting around shining forever. Those are lovely to light up two squares away from the lamp itself (5x5 area).

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Hmm. I don't think the Sawn Off Saiga can be put in a holster after all. I don't have any mods on it and it still won't let me. What gives?

Edit: VVVV Ah, thank you.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 22, 2015

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Artificer posted:

Hmm. I don't think the Sawn Off Saiga can be put in a holster after all. I don't have any mods on it and it still won't let me. What gives?

you need to slap a folding stock on it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I thought laser rifles, fusion blasters, and other cool sounding energy based weapons and poo poo only spawned in lab finales?

Why did I just find a RM Railgun 500 or something in the middle of a Giant Wasp nest in town?

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Bees like guns too, don't beeshame.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Artificer posted:

I thought laser rifles, fusion blasters, and other cool sounding energy based weapons and poo poo only spawned in lab finales?

Why did I just find a RM Railgun 500 or something in the middle of a Giant Wasp nest in town?

For some reason bee/wasp/spider nests like to spawn really high level gear. I found two power armor suits in a single spider basement once.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

M.Ciaster posted:

For some reason bee/wasp/spider nests like to spawn really high level gear. I found two power armor suits in a single spider basement once.

Ate the last person that was wearing them, obviously.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How certain are you that you've cleaned out every spider egg from that power armour, before you put it on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
...burn it with fire first?

Cataclysm: Fire is always the answer