Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

manyak posted:

Just got to watch the Joanna/Penne fight and Joannas striking is so good... its so nice to watch. I love her distancing and how she mixes it up to the body and stuff and also how she picks her spots between the times when she flurries vs when she puts hands on Penne and waits for openings for elbows and stuff. Its really good and she gives the vibe that shes been there before. I really liked that combo where she had Penne on the back foot and threw an inside leg kick to Pennes rear leg as she tried to retreat. Its nice to have a reason to take back what I used to think about the lighter womens division (none of them have any concept of footwork or timing and none of them are capable of hurting each other)

Also her speed. I get that they aren't knock out punches but they are very fast and accurate, impressive to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

EmmyOk posted:

I just rewatched Aldo/Mendes II. Marc Goddard is normally a pretty good referee but it's pretty crazy he didn't dock Aldo points for the two strikes after the bell.

Even the Alpha Male corner said they couldn't hear the bell. Goddard was timing it by staring at the clock across the octagon and I think he did a pretty good job considering.

vainman fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 22, 2015

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

manyak posted:

Just got to watch the Joanna/Penne fight and Joannas striking is so good... its so nice to watch. I love her distancing and how she mixes it up to the body and stuff and also how she picks her spots between the times when she flurries vs when she puts hands on Penne and waits for openings for elbows and stuff. Its really good and she gives the vibe that shes been there before. I really liked that combo where she had Penne on the back foot and threw an inside leg kick to Pennes rear leg as she tried to retreat. Its nice to have a reason to take back what I used to think about the lighter womens division (none of them have any concept of footwork or timing and none of them are capable of hurting each other)

Yeah, Joanna's distancing is one of her most impressive aspects, it seems like she's always throwing exactly the strike that she's at the perfect distance to land.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The other thing I like is her finishing ability, there were a couple moments where Penne was hurt and Joanna started throwing a flurry of low power shots to try and coax a stoppage, and when Goddard wasn't having it she backed off and switched to throwing regular combinations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

1st AD posted:

The other thing I like is her finishing ability, there were a couple moments where Penne was hurt and Joanna started throwing a flurry of low power shots to try and coax a stoppage, and when Goddard wasn't having it she backed off and switched to throwing regular combinations.

She could have dug into the body by the 3rd time that didn't work. Did she say her hurt hand was from those loose punches to Penne's guard?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Honestly I think goddard knew penne was outclassed and was just waiting for an excuse

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
After Aldo wins an evil Brazilian will have derailed another person Dana is trying to make a huge star.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

eric posted:

After Aldo wins an evil Brazilian will have derailed another person Dana is trying to make a huge star.

I am no expert but I feel Aldo's last fight was a great fight to watch but not a great fight for a champ. I am expecting mcgregor to do his thing with Aldo. If I'm wrong that would be ok too.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dangersim posted:

Honestly I think goddard knew penne was outclassed and was just waiting for an excuse

Yeah her most effective offense were takedown attempts that went nowhere and was covering up most of the fight.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

eric posted:

The thing is Pettis and Cain did most of that to themselves. Cain and Pettis were so inactive from injuries over the years that crippled their popularity as much as Werdum and RDA beating them did.

Remember when Conor was hurt after the Halloway fight? It killed his hype since he immediately was sidelined with an ACL injury and could only talk poo poo on social media to stay on everyone's radar. As soon as he did have some luck with injuries and knocked off 3 featherweights in a row from last summer to this January it catapulted him into being one of the top stars of the sport.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Let's not forget he got a title shot off beating old garbage man Dennis Siver.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Le Saboteur posted:

Stephen BOnnar got a title shot fighting anderson silva after beating kyle kingsbury. Frankie Edgar hasn't got a title shot since 2013. We don't live ina very just world.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Meowbot posted:

Stephen BOnnar got a title shot fighting anderson silva after beating kyle kingsbury. Frankie Edgar hasn't got a title shot since 2013. We don't live ina very just world.

The Bonnar fight was at 205 and not a title shot but Frankie Edgar not being a five-division champion is indeed a travesty.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Le Saboteur posted:

That was the last fight sure but it's not even remotely why he got the shot. He beat Poirier in the previous fight and pretty much everyone considered that a bigger fight than Siver.

Since then Poirier has 2 TKO wins in the same round Conor first said he'd KO him in and then did.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 22, 2015

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Chad Mendes got his second shot after wheezing furiously at Nick Lentz so lets not pretend that Conor's situation is unique.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

doverhog posted:

Since then Poirier has 2 TKO wins in the same round Conor first said he'd KO him in and then did.

In a different weight class.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

This is your regular reminder that Robbie Lawler is the UFC Welterweight Champion

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Dangersim posted:

This is your regular reminder that Robbie Lawler is the UFC Welterweight Champion

I love Robbie Lawler but as a Canadian I also want a Canadian champ again even if it is a robot.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I've said before that I was talking once with an att guy about mcgregor. I asked him what poirier's (who he trains with) gameplan was. He shrugged and was like "I dunno but i assume it involved grappling, Conor got in his head though"

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Poirier is in love with his hands and it is going to get him knocked out again.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Poirier is in love with his hands and it is going to get him knocked out again.

He actually has really good power and solid stand up though

Conor put him down in 90 seconds

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Seltzer posted:

In a different weight class.

Yeah, usually people say that to poo poo on someone for having moved down and found success. Poirier has moved up ten pounds and knocked two dudes out pretty decisively.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dangersim posted:

He actually has really good power and solid stand up though

Conor put him down in 90 seconds

He still gets hit way too often because doesn't move his head. It is part of his charm.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

CommonShore posted:

Yeah, usually people say that to poo poo on someone for having moved down and found success. Poirier has moved up ten pounds and knocked two dudes out pretty decisively.

I was just insinuating that maybe Poirier was cutting too much for featherweight and is actually better at lightweight (making connor's victory less impressive in retrospect). I don't think going down or going up is cause for making GBS threads on anyone if it pays off.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He still gets hit way too often because doesn't move his head. It is part of his charm.

Oh no doubt he has flaws, but the dude is going to hang around the top 10 of 2 weight classes, he's a solid fighter

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

eric posted:

Nah, Anderson only really became a huge star when Chael Sonnen went full pro wrestling. Even if Aldo lights McGregor the gently caress up if it's a good fight it'll mean mega bucks for aldo in the future as some kind of fighting demi god and big money selling connor on his road back to a title shot.

When a fight like this gets this much hype the only way the company can lose is if the fight is Krylov Palelei bad or it gets cancelled.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Paleilei/krylov was actually an entertaining fight, it just also happened to be a hilarious gasfest. Dana admitted as much.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
beating Poirier was really impressive when Chan Sung Jung did it, then when Conor did it a year later some people were like "yeah whatever :rolleyes:"

It's fine to criticize Conor not facing Mendes or Edgar yet but his run to the title isn't bad.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Old news but since Chael Sonnen's name is on this page, Jordan Breen did a pod cast thing on drug testing and relayed a quote from Matt Lindland. When asked if he thinks TRT really helps that much he said "I've known Chael since middle school and he didn't get better a day in his life until he started taking testosterone, you tell me"

ruthless

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Don't forget that these people "Don't move like I move"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrOuFSR_mJ4

Also I would definitely watch a buddy cop show of Amirkhani and Siver

https://cdn2.streamable.com/video/5000d28018d511e58e3c3fc4496fb385.webm

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 22, 2015

The Watch
Feb 10, 2014

He won't see the sun again for years to come...

He's posting on Something Awful
Megamarm
What's it like to go see a UFC event live? Are the cheaper seats going to make it too difficult to see what's going on in the cage?

POTATO IN MY ANUS
May 23, 2012

23 year old man.

just tried (unsuccessfully) to suck my own dick.

I think I need a break from the internet.
I'd assume that varies from venue to venue

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

The Watch posted:

What's it like to go see a UFC event live? Are the cheaper seats going to make it too difficult to see what's going on in the cage?

I found myself watching the screen during grappling exchanges in the nosebleeds but unless you're in someplace way bigger than the United Center you're never really far from the action and can see (and often even hear) the striking just fine. Overall it's v cool and I recommend, but ideal seats would probably be the front few rows of the middle mezzanine.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

The Watch posted:

I went to a live event in orlando with two goons and it was awesome. We weren't in the nosebleeds but we didn't have crazy expensive seats either. We could clearly see the action, and we were within yelling distance of the cage. I can hear myself yelling "KNEE" or "ELBOW" on the replay for some of the fights.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
p sure you can hear me (and only me because i was the only person doing it) doing a ric flair woo ad nauseum at the Rory/Diaz fight that happened in seattle.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Do you think if Max Holloway beats Charles Oliviera at FN 74 he should get another shot at Conor, champion or not? Holloway has been on quite a tear lately and I'd like to see that fight again as it seems he has improved a ton.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Mr. Nice! posted:

I went to a live event in orlando with two goons and it was awesome. We weren't in the nosebleeds but we didn't have crazy expensive seats either. We could clearly see the action, and we were within yelling distance of the cage. I can hear myself yelling "KNEE" or "ELBOW" on the replay for some of the fights.

:hf:

Also, the Austin fight night I went to was rad. I was super close to the walkout area, so I got tons of post-fight high fives (Sup Doo Ho Choi)

POTATO IN MY ANUS
May 23, 2012

23 year old man.

just tried (unsuccessfully) to suck my own dick.

I think I need a break from the internet.

Le Saboteur posted:

Do you think if Max Holloway beats Charles Oliviera at FN 74 he should get another shot at Conor, champion or not? Holloway has been on quite a tear lately and I'd like to see that fight again as it seems he has improved a ton.

I already think he deserves it for styling on Cub.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He looks a lot better but I still expect Conor to blitz him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

He looks a lot better but I still expect Conor to blitz him

Holloway is the only one in the UFC so far who has gone the distance with Conor so I'm not sure if we'd see a first round finish or anything. Seems he has a good chin.

• Locked thread