Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

pram posted:

mastering 'linux' will take years, it's a broad subject. if you're going to dedicate time to it you may as well learn stuff that may yield some actual value

there is actual demand for people who can janitor a server

no one needs a guy who can put together a desktop and install enlightenment on gentoo. godspeed
Thank you for your good advice, but I need a guy like that though :raise:

Symbolic Butt posted:

I like this galahan guy, he sounds like a nerd even by yospos standards
Thanks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

galahan posted:

Thank you for your good advice, but I need a guy like that though :raise:

for what

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

guy who can put together a desktop and install enlightenment on gentoo

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah? would you pay money for that?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

pram posted:

yeah? would you pay money for that?

samsung would lmao

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

They would have to be a real nerd like me to do it for free, sadly I seem to lack the skill.
Any of these would do ;0 but I wouldn't learn a drat thing that way would I?
http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=Source-based

I actually would pay, but It would depend on the amount. I also realize no one else would pay for it and I'd just have to do it all again probably with a new computer, no?
Or maybe it would be my own semi-custom semi-portable OS after that?

Intel CPU, SSD, and networking, ATI HD 6900, ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution

I'd have new things to look forward to breaking horribly If so. Idk how it would all work with win 10 with it being all beta, I might ought to wait till that comes out or go back to 7 64 bit.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I mean I paid $20 for sunshine and unlock my phone even though it was developers edition because it became a pain in the rear end is kind of scary and I'd already used several hours up and got a red triangle once in my ignorance.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
pram is telling u to elarn something worth a drat so u can make a living and realize ude rathyer suck diseased cock than janitor linux on the desktop for "fun" which btw isnt fun once uve tasted the a savory poison load

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

gj falling for the troll guys

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ur a troll

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

galahan posted:

They would have to be a real nerd like me to do it for free, sadly I seem to lack the skill.
Any of these would do ;0 but I wouldn't learn a drat thing that way would I?
http://distrowatch.com/search.php?category=Source-based

I actually would pay, but It would depend on the amount. I also realize no one else would pay for it and I'd just have to do it all again probably with a new computer, no?
Or maybe it would be my own semi-custom semi-portable OS after that?

Intel CPU, SSD, and networking, ATI HD 6900, ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution

I'd have new things to look forward to breaking horribly If so. Idk how it would all work with win 10 with it being all beta, I might ought to wait till that comes out or go back to 7 64 bit.

is this a time portal to [h]ardforums circa 1997, or is this guy for real?

no, there is nothing to learn about "source-based" distributions. it's dumb as gently caress. nobody does that poo poo in production. no one will pay you to install gentoo on anything because lolwhut

the only practical thing linux desktops are used for is developing software. for which purpose you will want a normal boring linux distribution that comes with normal boring development tools, not some weird thing

also linux won't work worth poo poo on your weird frankenstein PC because ati graphics cards are effectively unsupportable. you'll want to remove that. or maybe just buy a laptop, because it's 2015.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 21, 2015

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I agree with people here, you should redirect your spergy need to rice a linux to something more productive

or at least something a little more interesting, like go learn to code and make one of those roguelike text games. even if it's cliche it's still way more interesting than spending hours tweaking your wm config files

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
if you're really into linux sysadmin stuff don't bother learning much beyond the basics of bash scripting

because it's painfully bad

choose one scripting language and learn it instead. like ruby or python or perl... maybe even haskell or erlang? I heard people really like them for scripting idk? whatever floats your boat

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
what the hell happened here itt

install arch

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Symbolic Butt posted:

if you're really into linux sysadmin stuff don't bother learning much beyond the basics of bash scripting

choose one scripting language and learn it instead. like ruby or python or perl... maybe even haskell or erlang? I heard people really like them for scripting idk? whatever floats your boat

Erlang is painful for scripting and nobody unironically uses Haskell for anything useful

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
surely everyone itt manages their money with hledger, the most linux of all accounting software

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

galahan posted:

I actually would pay

if you're going to make kindling of your money i will gladly take it.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Erlang is painful for scripting and nobody unironically uses Haskell for anything useful

the scripting stuff for haskell looks really cool and good but my coworkers would hate me

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Symbolic Butt posted:

choose one scripting language and learn it instead. like ruby or python or perl...

this is some correct posting right here

learn enough shell to fumble through somebody else's shell scripts. don't add to the problem by writing your own.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I used to want to learn how the OS worked on a low level because it was mysterious and magical to me, then I started studying and learned just enough to realize that it's actually really boring & we only have so much time on this gay earth so unless you're getting paid to do it just install debian & go paint a picture or something

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Silver Alicorn posted:

I used to want to learn how the OS worked on a low level because it was mysterious and magical to me, then I started studying and learned just enough to realize that it's actually really boring & we only have so much time on this gay earth so unless you're getting paid to do it just install debian & go paint a picture or something

learning the core C APIs is pretty important for both developers and systems administrators though. linux/unix/posix have a lot more going on than just ansi C stuff. "knowing" C without knowing unix is not really useful.

anyone serious about the platform should work through APUE, if only so you can read strace output when your lovely ruby script doesn't work due to interpreter bugs

kernel internals are boring tho unless you intend to hack on the kernel

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
how do people still want to "learn" linux in tyool 2015? i only know about this garbage because of a tragic childhood. i cant imagine somebody who wants to hurt themselves like that

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
it may sound unlikely, but there are in fact a pretty large number of jobs where you can be paid actual money for knowing how to use a linux

my job even involves using linux on the desktop! (over vnc from a windows machine, of course, nobody has actual desktop computers running linux)

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
unfortunately i majored in The Liberal Arts so i have no way to use the nerd poo poo i learned when i was a dumb 15 year old and i happen to be bitter

edit: used gay as a slur... not cool sorry

Joe Chip fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 22, 2015

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
you can always get a new degree

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
who givesa poo poo bout education???

are you applying for a research job?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Cocoa Crispies posted:

they're right though

arial is dog poo poo and if you don't have a license for helvetica (i.e. the kind of license that ships with macs) you shouldn't use it

they're right though that Source Sans Pro is a pretty nice font

don't get me wrong, it's no Helvetica or San Francisco, but it winds up looking quite good when used as the UI font in Haiku (at 13pt, 12 is a little too small)

Suspicious Dish: what are the primary UI fonts that Endless is using?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

who givesa poo poo bout education???

are you applying for a research job?

HR and recruiters and they are your mortal enemy

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

did anyone ever get around to proving that kdbus was actually useful?

only as an idea and by analogy to Mach messages, not in its actual implementation, at least so far as I saw

it sounded so very slow in all the descriptions of all the copying etc. involved, which is something Mach worked extremely hard to get right (and ultimately did) from day one

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
I don't give a gently caress about your education when I'm hiring you, I want to see that you know your current poo poo, you know what you're poo poo at and your drive to become less poo poo

and your ability to explain some previous poo poo on the whiteboard

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

galahan posted:

guy who can put together a desktop and install enlightenment on gentoo

why would you do that when you can download and run Haiku and get a far nicer computing experience using a fraction the resources?

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014

ahmeni posted:

I don't give a gently caress about your education when I'm hiring you, I want to see that you know your current poo poo, you know what you're poo poo at and your drive to become less poo poo

please hire me because you're the only person who has ever said this ever lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ahmeni posted:

you clearly did not attend an ivy league school

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

why would you do that when you can download and run Haiku and get a far nicer computing experience using a fraction the resources?

now i understand how you could defend mach messaging

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

a butt posted:

unfortunately i majored in The Liberal Arts so i have no way to use the nerd poo poo i learned when i was a dumb 15 year old and i happen to be bitter

my degree is in english literature. I program computer.

you can still get a computer job even if you made bad choices at school, it just takes a bit more luck to find a place that looks at more than just what bits of paper you possess

I mean, most stem graduates are terrible at computer, I have no idea why hr drones think otherwise

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

a butt posted:

please hire me because you're the only person who has ever said this ever lol

put a community college degree on your resume, nobody gives a gently caress they're just checking boxes. the goal of HR is to pretend like hiring is not gate-kept by someone who hosed up so bad they ended up in HR

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

eschaton posted:

only as an idea and by analogy to Mach messages, not in its actual implementation, at least so far as I saw

it sounded so very slow in all the descriptions of all the copying etc. involved, which is something Mach worked extremely hard to get right (and ultimately did) from day one

lol

rip Jochen Liedtke, man who made microkernels fast

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

galahan posted:

I was just itching to format its been awhile I also need a project for the day but I realized what I was talking about could very well take me a month at my current level of skill

I understand this itch but unless you are willing to learn programming and debugging you should not be touching gentoo with a 10 foot pole. Things take forever to build, and if there's an issue, you need to wade through a million log entries and opinions and related issues to determine why your binaries aren't compiling.

Like others said, you should dip your toes into CentOS or Ubuntu.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

celeron 300a posted:

you should not be touching gentoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

don't take the difficulty of building something stupid like gentoo on the desktop as a point of pride. there are use cases for the os, i know a few shops that use it in production as a server. as previously mentioned you can learn server things with much less headaches on almost any other operating system. if you don't understand much of what you're doing setting it up you aren't going to learn anything, or be magically more wise by virtue of using it. if you want tape together a bunch of components yourself at least use arch, you'll actually finish the install in an afternoon