Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Don't suppose anyone here has ever played Oak Island Golf Club down in Oak Island, NC? Going there for a week at the beginning of August and the course is only 1/2 mile from the beach house I am staying at so I fully intend to play at least once even though I am going to be playing with weekend hackers that are good for 120+ rounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

thebushcommander posted:

Don't suppose anyone here has ever played Oak Island Golf Club down in Oak Island, NC? Going there for a week at the beginning of August and the course is only 1/2 mile from the beach house I am staying at so I fully intend to play at least once even though I am going to be playing with weekend hackers that are good for 120+ rounds.

Why do you hate us?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

BonoMan posted:

Why do you hate us?

:( I don't, I just like playing with people as good or better than my as I tend to play better golf. Purely because I make better decisions trying to beat the other person. When I play with 20+ handicaps I drink more beer and make poor decisions.

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
So my first time playing a real 18 hole course (rating 70.2/slope 125) I shot a 101.

I was playing bogey golf for a while until we got dizzy from cigars and I completely bombed a few holes including a totally reachable par 3.

In light of the above remark, is this a dreadful score? I've been taking lessons for about a month, and did get that hole-in-one, but I'm wondering if I should keep playing par 3/executive courses until I get better or the real thing?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

daslog posted:

Just a follow up.

I went to the driving range, and proceeded to get good exercise while topping or skulling an entire basket. Scheduled a lesson for 7:30 AM Monday.

Follow up #2. Golf pro told me I'm a head case (he's right) and that I'm topping the ball because I'm picking up and then I'm hitting fat shots because I'm slowing my swing down trying to correct.

Shot a 45 at leagues tonight. That ties my best 9 holes ever.

Golf. :shrug:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Mr. BT posted:

So my first time playing a real 18 hole course (rating 70.2/slope 125) I shot a 101.

I was playing bogey golf for a while until we got dizzy from cigars and I completely bombed a few holes including a totally reachable par 3.

In light of the above remark, is this a dreadful score? I've been taking lessons for about a month, and did get that hole-in-one, but I'm wondering if I should keep playing par 3/executive courses until I get better or the real thing?

It's a great score. Play whatever course floats your boat.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

thebushcommander posted:

I shot over 130 there I think the 2nd time I ever played golf. The best part is I don't think we even slow played down! Bring a lot of beer and water because it is going to be a long round.

Some dude off craigslist sold me a 4 and 5 Nicent (?) hybrid, a 6 hybrid Ping G25, and 7-gap wedge Ping G20s for 170 bucks today. The trade in for the ping stuff is less than that price. I had told myself I was going to hold off on the game improvement irons until I finished my lessons, but I knew I wouldn't see them any cheaper in a month and the G20s were the exact club I had decided on. He was only asking 120 for the irons but said he would throw in all 3 hybrids for 50 bucks, and considering I saw a G25 hybrid for like 75 at the store, used, I figured that was fine since would have to get something for those clubs anyway.

The guy I bought them from is a member at the driving range nearby that is a Ping Top 100 fitter and they are going to fit them/adjust the lie for 35 bucks total, which seems fair.

i hope they help me lower my scores. 100 is in sight!

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Mr. BT posted:

If you really shot a 101 for your first round ever, that is very good.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. BT posted:

I see a lot of potential there, nice one.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Shot the best round of my life on Sunday. Pretty pleased considering I only hit 21% of the fairways. That being said I hate myself for blasting 3 balls OB, could have shot in the 70's :sigh:

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007

Mr. BT posted:

I'm wondering if I should keep playing par 3/executive courses until I get better or the real thing?

They're three completely different types of game and all fun in their own way. Go nuts wherever you'd like!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

thebushcommander posted:

:( I don't, I just like playing with people as good or better than my as I tend to play better golf. Purely because I make better decisions trying to beat the other person. When I play with 20+ handicaps I drink more beer and make poor decisions.

Yeah I was kidding of course. I hate when I feel like I'm bringing someone down from a good game :(. That's why I usually just smack whiffle balls and get drunk in my back yard and yell at people walking down the street.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Nerdrock posted:

I tought myself to not armswing this winter. This has been the most frustrating start to a season ever, because while I spent a LOT of time doing that, it apparently wasn't enough. I basically totally reset any and all golfing progress over my first 2 years playing. I have my new swing, a new set of clubs, AND a crappy grip from carpal tunnel surgery. I have no loving idea how my shots are going to go, but when I make solid contact, I get a LOT more distance over my previous. This time last year my 7i went a pathetic 135y, now it's closer to 160y. Last year I was satisfied with my progress of shooting 105-110, and now i'm back up to 120-125. I committed to my new swing and will not go back, realize it'll pay off hopefully by the end of the year, but right now it's very, very depressing.

The videos I used for inspiration are on youtube, if you search for Paul Wilson's effortless golf swing. Using my Optishot to note progress, my 6i swings went from around 70mph to 90mph.

So I decided to stop by Top Golf for lunch today and I've just about had it with my swing. So dumb question time. How do I teach myself using youtube? I don't have the money to drop on lessons at the moment, but I do have unlimited balls at the range, so I figure I can just keep working until I fix it if I have to.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Sataere posted:

So I decided to stop by Top Golf for lunch today and I've just about had it with my swing. So dumb question time. How do I teach myself using youtube? I don't have the money to drop on lessons at the moment, but I do have unlimited balls at the range, so I figure I can just keep working until I fix it if I have to.

I tried the youtube thing and it just made it worse. Too much information and not enough feedback.

I really needed a lesson every other week just so I could have someone point out my swing faults.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

daslog posted:

I really needed a lesson every other week just so I could have someone point out my swing faults.

I mean, this is true for everyone, all the way up to the pros

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Sataere posted:

Do you have access to a video camera that you can set up to record your swing? It's pretty difficult to self-diagnose a golf swing without being able to see it, and even when you can it's not easy - especially when you're not at a fairly advanced level to begin with.

There are plenty of places online, including here, where you could post a video of your swing and get some free swing advice (of dubious actual value).

Yesterday I got to play in a charity event at Valencia CC with some friends of mine. It was the first time I've gotten to play in a scramble with 3 other competent golfers in my group (handicaps were 0, 2, 6, and 10). We finished at -14, but the group with 2 former playing/current teaching pros shot -19. We may have indulged in the free booze and on-course massages a bit too much to stay as sharp as we could have.

The highlight for me though was that Christina Stockton from Big Break Atlantis (link) was playing in it too, and since I'd met her briefly at a party a few years back she remembered who I was. We spent a good amount of time on the range before the round and at the bar afterwards talking about golf and whatever else. She's really nice and obviously is a phenomenal golfer. It's always impressive watching women who are that tiny hit the ball as well as they do.

She also told me that GC cancelled Big Break, which kind of sucks. This new Altered Course show is garbage.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I'm loving all these rounds being posted. Here are my last two.

As you can see, I did a great job of keeping the ball in play off the tee. Not every drive was 280 and dead straight, but I left myself a decent look at the green on every hole. Didn't get a whole lot out of my putter, though.

Hole 1 - Skipped the warmup session on the range, hit a bit of a stinger driver off the tee. Left myself with a 6i in, tried to hit a cut to a front left hole location but overdid it. Hit a GREAT bunker shot with mud on the ball to 4 feet past, but played left edge break when there was no break at all.

Hole 2 - Great drive, hit another 6i over the flag but rather long. Had to go up a ridge halfway and then back down to the hole. Tried to die it just past the ridge, but it died on top of the ridge. Par putt slid on by the hole. Greens were slower than normal, and I struggled with them all day.

Hole 3 - Mashed a drive, then hit a really good hybrid to a back right hole. Couldn't see it land, but I knew it carried the greenside bunker at 230, so if I wasn't putting, I had an easy chip. My ball was on the back fringe, total of maybe 12 feet for eagle. Had a few feet of fringe to navigate, and I got lucky with my putt!

Hole 5 was a 5i that was right on line to a front hole location, but I needed perhaps 2 more yards of carry to bounce it off a front knoll and right next to the hole. As it happened, I landed on the wrong side of the knoll and rolled away. Easy enough up and down, though.

Holes 4 and 6 were straight forward fairways and greens, though I was sore about making a par on 6 after hitting a good drive, a smart layup, and a gorgeous drawing gap wedge to 8 feet. Ball hopped right on something on my birdie putt, just like :argh: CHAMBERS BAY :argh:

Hole 7 was an 8i to pin high, 20 feet. I hit this putt smoothly, but I was sure I left it short. I held the pose, waiting for the ball to stop short, but it never did. It fell in on the last rotation, and I looked like a boss. Fake it 'til you make it. :cool:

Hole 8 was a HUGE drive and a flip wedge from 50 yards, but I played it too long. Two putt par.

Hole 9 is a bear of a par 4. Slight dogleg left with a lake all along the right. Hit a good drive and an even better 4 hybrid, so I'll take a two putt for par and scram.

For the back nine, it was fairways, greens, and two putts. Couldn't get anything to fall for birdie. Hit a really good pitch from way below the green on 12 to save par, missed short ones (<8 feet) on 13 and 14 for birdies.

I left myself about 90 yards on 16, which is what I wanted. Got too cute and left my approach on the fringe. Almost chipped in for birdie, but took a par.

Hole 17 was a good drive followed by an rear end-ugly pull of a 9i. Hit a decent enough recovery from the thickest rough on the course, but I couldn't make the par putt.

Hole 18 is basically hole 9 but flipped. Trouble is on the left. Hit a really good driver and a good 6i that I knew was gonna be well short of the pin. Left my birdie putt from over 40 feet right in the jaws. Tapped in from a foot for par.

14 fairways, 12 greens, 30 putts.

This course is a bit of a drive, so I've only played there a few times. It's nice enough, but again the greens were a little slower than I expected. 24 putts looks really good on paper, but that's mainly due to a less than stellar approach game and great chipping.

Hole 1 - Good drive, 75 yards in. Flubbed a wedge into the pond short of the green. Dropped in the same spot and hit my 4th long (of course), two putted.

Hole 2 - Driver/gap wedge to 20 feet, left birdie putt a few inches short. It was straight up the hill, and I still couldn't give it enough gas to get there.

Hole 4 - Fanned a 5i into the water, chipped up from the drop zone and made bogey.

Hole 5 - Hit a good recovery to the green from the trees on the right, had a big sweeping putt from the back of the green. Gave it a run, made the 3 footer coming back for par.

Hole 6 - Really good drive, then chunked a hybrid to like 50 yards out. Hit a wedge to the back fringe, 10 feet from the flag, got lucky and putted that one in for birdie.

Hole 9 - This one ticked me off. I hit a really good drive, then I waited on two workers who were on the green - one was riding a mower, and the other was blowing the leftover grass bits all over the place. After a while I decided that, should I get on the green, it wasn't going to be all carry, plus they didn't seem interested in leaving the green, so whatever! Gave it a go, but just hit a big cut to well short of the green. They stopped once they noticed me standing over my pitch, they put the flag in, and they just sorta stayed in place. They weren't in any danger, and I hit a pitch to 15 feet left of the pin, but the green was in horrible shape. I had to putt through rows of clumped up grass clippings. Birdie putt wasn't even close to going in, and I just picked up for par and moved on.

Hole 10 and 11 - Good tee shots, decent approaches, two putts each for par.

Hole 12 - 4 hybrid that I pushed (standard fare for this club right now), hit a floppy pitch over the bunker to 5 feet, rammed it in for par.

Hole 13 - Hit a really good drive over the corner, left myself with a little less than 100 yards in. Perfect yardage for my 58*. Had a little draw on it, so it finished left of the pin instead of right behind it. Made the 10 footer for birdie.

Hole 14 - Hit a really good drive, and I had a risky approach if I wanted to go at it in 2. Winding water hazard left and short of the green. I had 206 to the pin, so I figured if I hit a 3 hybrid with my normal cut shot, I'd be on or just right. There's a big set of trees front right of the green, and that's where I sent my ball. I found my ball in the downslope of a ditch well right of the green. Hit a good pitch into the bank of the green, and it rolled further into the green than I expected, which was a good thing. Made the longest putt of the day, an 18 footer for birdie.

Shoved an 8i right on hole 15 (got fed up with the twosome in front of me who wouldn't let me play through, didn't put a good swing on it), saved par. Chunked the heck out of my approach on 16, but I hit a really good 60 yard wedge to 5 feet and made it for par.

Hole 17 was maybe my best birdie in a while. It's not a long hole on the scorecard, but it's a sweeping dogleg to the left with trees overhanging the left side of the tee boxes and water all along the left side. Fairway is crescent-shaped. The hole calls for a draw, but that's not really a thing I can do at the moment. A straight driver would have been blasted through the fairway and into somebody's back yard, so I decided to play it smart with a 3 hybrid. I tried to hit a draw, and I did, but I caught it high on the face. It landed in a fairway bunker around 150 from the pin. There's water all along the left and in front of the green. I hit a dazzling 8i that faded to 4 feet. Rolled that in and got a golf clap from the single behind me.

Hole 18 - Smoked a drive, but I don't have the firepower or guts to attempt a 260 carry to an island green that's maybe 15 yards wide. I laid up with a 7i, and then I hit a crappy wedge to the front of the green that spun onto the apron. Hit a decent pitch into the slope short of the pin, and the ball sat down on top of the ridge, 4 feet away. Brushed it in for par before I could get nervous over it.

11 fairways, 9 greens, 24 putts. Didn't hit the ball as cleanly, but I performed better on and around the greens.

I'm playing tomorrow at the Tour 18 course, and my goal is no bogeys. I should be able to keep the ball in play on that course, and my short game is really on point, so as long as the greens are to my liking, I'm feeling pretty good about tomorrow.

I also traded in my Rocketballz 4w for a sexy little Adams Tight Lies 16* 3 wood in matte black. I liked the lower profile head. It felt good in the store, but the simulator was broken. We'll see how it goes tomorrow! :getin:

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Sataere posted:

How do I teach myself using youtube? I don't have the money to drop on lessons at the moment, but I do have unlimited balls at the range, so I figure I can just keep working until I fix it if I have to.

It's difficult to be your own swing coach, because it's very easy to work on the wrong thing.

The reason lessons are so invaluable is because a professional can (1) identify your flaws and tell you about them, and (2) identify your strengths and keep quiet about them, so you don't try to change something you naturally execute well.

Everyone executes some portion of a golf swing perfectly, unconsciously, without needing to think about it. If you watch a video about a swing tip, you might start to exaggerate a motion that you were doing perfectly before you watched the video. That's one reason why listening to someone else's lesson is a bad idea - you don't need to hear about wrist cocking if you already cock your wrists, for example.

The safest, worthwhile thing to do on YouTube is to review your fundamentals of grip, stance, and ball position. Keep your current swing, experiment with incremental changes in those three fundamentals, and see how it affects your consistency and ball flight.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

BCRock posted:

The highlight for me though was that Christina Stockton from Big Break Atlantis (link) was playing in it too, and since I'd met her briefly at a party a few years back she remembered who I was. We spent a good amount of time on the range before the round and at the bar afterwards talking about golf and whatever else. She's really nice and obviously is a phenomenal golfer. It's always impressive watching women who are that tiny hit the ball as well as they do.

She also told me that GC cancelled Big Break, which kind of sucks. This new Altered Course show is garbage.

Dude, I'm crazy jealous of you. I played behind a Duramed Futures Tour player at a pretty tough course in Galveston three or four years ago, and I asked her playing partners at the turn (while she was getting lunch inside) who this girl was. They said she was even through 13 playing from the tips, and the course is super windy. I wanted to bail on my playing partners and force myself into their group, but I chickened out.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

BCRock posted:

Do you have access to a video camera that you can set up to record your swing? It's pretty difficult to self-diagnose a golf swing without being able to see it, and even when you can it's not easy - especially when you're not at a fairly advanced level to begin with.

There are plenty of places online, including here, where you could post a video of your swing and get some free swing advice (of dubious actual value).

I've got a phone in my camera. It should be sufficient. I'll probably get lessons eventually, but I honestly just don't care enough to spend the money on it at the moment. I would like to work to improve my game, but if I shell money out for lessons, it'll probably be for my 10 year old before me. Next time I'm at Top Golf, I'll record myself and let you guys mock my ineptitude at the game of golf. From what friends I trust have told me, my back swing is great, but everything after is a mess. It's like I torque up and do nothing with it.

EDIT:

runoverbobby posted:

It's difficult to be your own swing coach, because it's very easy to work on the wrong thing.

The reason lessons are so invaluable is because a professional can (1) identify your flaws and tell you about them, and (2) identify your strengths and keep quiet about them, so you don't try to change something you naturally execute well.

Everyone executes some portion of a golf swing perfectly, unconsciously, without needing to think about it. If you watch a video about a swing tip, you might start to exaggerate a motion that you were doing perfectly before you watched the video. That's one reason why listening to someone else's lesson is a bad idea - you don't need to hear about wrist cocking if you already cock your wrists, for example.

The safest, worthwhile thing to do on YouTube is to review your fundamentals of grip, stance, and ball position. Keep your current swing, experiment with incremental changes in those three fundamentals, and see how it affects your consistency and ball flight.

Yeah, I get that, but I feel like I know what my problem is. I bring my backswing in, with my chest facing backwards and pressure on my back foot and then I just arm swing, doing nothing with the torque I just generated. I just don't know what I'm supposed to do to release.

I mean, what is really the worst that is going to happen with loving with my swing with youtube videos. I'll only hit my 7 iron 90 yards? Because that's what I'm doing now anyway. (It isn't quite that bad, but it's close.)

Sataere fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 24, 2015

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Sataere posted:

http://www.pga.com/play-golf-america/get-golf-ready

(also google Get Golf Ready [your city] There are two places here that have it and neither showed up on this site]

See if it is near you. I'm only 3 lessons in and my last round I made solid contact all but one shot. My aim was not stellar but the ball went in the air and forward a decent amount every single time, which is big time compared to where I was a month ago. I have aim deficiencies but those will be corrected.

100 bucks for 5 lessons in small groups. You can't beat it.

I see you posted about your 10 year old. There are two fathers with their sons in my group as well as one lady. The dads and kids seem to be enjoying it a lot.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Sataere posted:

Yeah, I get that, but I feel like I know what my problem is. I bring my backswing in, with my chest facing backwards and pressure on my back foot and then I just arm swing, doing nothing with the torque I just generated. I just don't know what I'm supposed to do to release.

I mean, what is really the worst that is going to happen with loving with my swing with youtube videos. I'll only hit my 7 iron 90 yards? Because that's what I'm doing now anyway. (It isn't quite that bad, but it's close.)

The worst thing that could happen is a creation of bad habits that will be more difficult to fix once you invest in lessons. It can also be frustrating to experiment with a lot of swing changes and not improve very much. Granted, an instructor's changes can also make things go from bad to worse for a few months, but there's more psychological comfort when an experienced professional urges you to stay invested in the process.

TopGolf is a fun place though! If you have unlimited range balls and don't get frustrated easily then sure - experiment, whack some balls around and see what you can do until you can invest in some lessons.

This would also be the perfect time to watch a bunch of videos on chipping and putting. They're more personalized and based on feel, so taking in as much information as possible and incorporating that info into your practice time is a good approach to short-game practice.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Online lessons are relatively cheap and would be a lot more productive than watching a bunch of random YouTube videos.

fascinate
Jul 5, 2007

Couple of questions. First what is this ^ app thing? It looks pretty cool and useful.

Second, does anyone use this AimPoint Express green reading technique? Im a complete beginner and could stand to improve my putting by a great deal.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

fascinate posted:

Couple of questions. First what is this ^ app thing? It looks pretty cool and useful.

Second, does anyone use this AimPoint Express green reading technique? Im a complete beginner and could stand to improve my putting by a great deal.

http://golfshot.com/home

I paid $30 for it a few years back and I used it every round for GPS, stats, score cards etc.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

fascinate posted:

GolfShot is good stuff, especially if you're looking for a GPS component. The stat-tracking feature is free.

AimPoint is the thing where they stand back and hold up 1, 2, or 3 fingers depending on how much slope they're seeing?

If so, it's definitely an interesting concept. I think you have to go to one of their training seminars where you get a booklet and hands-on lessons to get the most out of it.

I've seen a few players (Adam Scott included) straddle the line of their putts to feel the slope that they can't see. I've done that a few times to varying degrees of success.

Overall, my putting routine is simple. I almost never look at putts from multiple angles, as it just introduces uncertainty. I:
  • crouch low behind it like Tiger used to do in the 2000s (cupping the hands around the sides of the head and hat brim),
  • examine for any slope, looking for the high point of the break,
  • use my ball's alignment marker (either the one that's stamped on or the one I've drawn) and my dominant eye to start it on line,
  • use my putter's alignment to make sure the face is perpendicular to the chosen line, and
  • putt while hoping I picked the right speed.

I would probably attend an AimPoint training session if it were close by and reasonably priced.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

• putt while hoping I picked the right speed.

god drat if this isn't the truth. Also yeah Golfshot owns a ton and everyone should get it.

Holy poo poo yall I'm 2 weeks from going to Scotland I am so hype. I know we're playing Castle Stewart and Royal Dornoch, not sure of where else yet.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

DJExile posted:

god drat if this isn't the truth. Also yeah Golfshot owns a ton and everyone should get it.

Holy poo poo yall I'm 2 weeks from going to Scotland I am so hype. I know we're playing Castle Stewart and Royal Dornoch, not sure of where else yet.

Links golf is great, Scotland is great, and I am jealous. It is hard to find a bad place to play over there, in my experience.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DuckHuntDog posted:

Links golf is great, Scotland is great, and I am jealous. It is hard to find a bad place to play over there, in my experience.

Yeah, I'm gonna totally post a gigantic trip report with a bunch of pictures either once I'm back or day-by-day if I can like I did a couple years ago. Apologies in advance because i'm probably gonna hijack the thread :v:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ribsauce posted:

http://www.pga.com/play-golf-america/get-golf-ready

(also google Get Golf Ready [your city] There are two places here that have it and neither showed up on this site]

See if it is near you. I'm only 3 lessons in and my last round I made solid contact all but one shot. My aim was not stellar but the ball went in the air and forward a decent amount every single time, which is big time compared to where I was a month ago. I have aim deficiencies but those will be corrected.

100 bucks for 5 lessons in small groups. You can't beat it.

I see you posted about your 10 year old. There are two fathers with their sons in my group as well as one lady. The dads and kids seem to be enjoying it a lot.

What did you look for with group lessons? i'm definitely not finding a 5 group lessons for $100. I did find a great deal for my kid though. Thanks for this.

EDIT: Disregard this, I just found a couple of great weekend clinics for me and my kid for $129. And some nice after school stuff. That site is pretty awesome.

Sataere fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 24, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sataere posted:

What did you look for with group lessons? i'm definitely not finding a 5 group lessons for $100. I did find a great deal for my kid though. Thanks for this.

EDIT: Disregard this, I just found a couple of great weekend clinics for me and my kid for $129. And some nice after school stuff. That site is pretty awesome.

You two are gonna love it, enjoy :)

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

So are you guys familiar with that Active membership? Is it worthwhile? I see it says it'll offer rebates on lessons I might sign up for, and I plan on taking a few given the opportunity.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

DJExile posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna totally post a gigantic trip report with a bunch of pictures either once I'm back or day-by-day if I can like I did a couple years ago. Apologies in advance because i'm probably gonna hijack the thread :v:

Good.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
I'm finally getting my game back to where it was before I hurt my shoulder. The most recent change I've made is fixing my takeaway. I'm not really sure what the hell happened to it but it sure as hell wasn't a one piece. Apparently, I have lately been hinging my wrists first thing instead of turning my shoulders and hips, but that's mostly fixed now. The one drawback is I need to adjust my aim point, I managed to miss to the left a lot.

Here's my round from Laguna Seca GC, getting closer to getting back under 100 again. Also, not bad for not having played the course before.

UnionCarbide fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 24, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

UnionCarbide posted:

I'm finally getting my game back to where it was before I hurt my shoulder. The most recent change I've made is fixing my takeaway. I'm not really sure what the hell happened to it but it sure as hell wasn't a one piece. Apparently, I have lately been hinging my wrists first thing instead of turning my shoulders and hips, but that's mostly fixed now. The one drawback is I need to adjust my aim point, I managed to miss to the left a lot.

Here's my round from Laguna Seca GC, getting closer to getting back under 100 again. Also, not bad for not having played the course before.

Whoa, what's that Pace of Play stat at the bottom? Never seen that before.

I had one of my best 9 hole rounds ever today. Didn't even get a chance to warm up, just walked onto the 1st tee to get ahead of a couple foursomes and went to work.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Holy crap........adding all the waste bunkers (Pinehurst style) to Poppy Hills and removing all the rough actually made it harder....the place was rock hard as well and we didn't make a ball mark on the humungous greens all day. My only highlights were a few pars and a birdie on the Par 5 18th in front of the clubhouse crowd.

Stock Poppy Hills #12 pic: of course on this hole I hit a very solid drive with a draw right over the left edge of the right fairway bunker but it hit a mound and went directly right into the O.B. Good times!

Spyglass front 9 is absolutely brutal with some long uphill par 4's on 8/9 that pretty much finish you off after being completely confused by where to hit anything on all the oceanside holes and the guidebook is no help. The back nine is actually a relief and I weaseled my way out of there with a 44 after getting massacred by the front even though there is still tons of elevation and trees waiting.

This is the 3rd hole par 3, 125 yds from white normal human golf tees. Tee is elevated and to the left. I three putted in glorious fashion after my first putt rolled 12 feet down past the hole (green slopes left to right towards the ocean more severely than the pic would suggest.) No time but for a few pics because we were in a tournament and everyone was getting pushed hard by the rangers and NCGA officials.

Some more 2 green and 3 pics.....sad that's all I had time for. Meh!

BLUE: Rating 75.5 / Slope 144 6960 yds
GOLD: Rating 73.8 / Slope 140 6538 yds
WHITE: Rating 72.2 / Slope 132 6123 yds
RED: Rating 72.6 / Slope 130 5381 yds

Golfshot app says I had 14 shots from the sand over the two days including several doing the splits or various other contortions and 2 of them left handed. There are some serious "gently caress YOU" fairway and greenside bunkers at Spyglass that are deep and steep and will hurt you in many ways trying to get out of.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 26, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

YOU POST MORE SPYGLASS PICTURES RIGHT NOW, MISTER

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Sataere posted:

Hell yes! I hope they work out. After I finish my series of 5 group lessons I will have to figure out my next step. I will probably practice a lot and get a lesson when I hit a wall.

ironlung posted:

Online lessons are relatively cheap and would be a lot more productive than watching a bunch of random YouTube videos.
How does that work? I try to film my swing with my Macbook Pro in iMovie but it is too blurry to tell anything. Would a phone (Moto X 2014) work for a golf swing?
[note: I am assuming you film your swing and work with a guy online to make adjustments]

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I use iPhone's slow mo mode to take videos and it works great. Main problem is getting someone to take the video. Really needs to be at the range hitting a ball to be of any use and I go alone most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Ribsauce posted:

How does that work? I try to film my swing with my Macbook Pro in iMovie but it is too blurry to tell anything. Would a phone (Moto X 2014) work for a golf swing?
[note: I am assuming you film your swing and work with a guy online to make adjustments]

Correct. Get someone to film you or amazon has little monopod things you can stick in the ground to hold your phone.