Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fintilgin posted:

The HRE just declared landfriede(?) which disallows internal HRE wars. I figured I could declare war on him and force him to repeal the law, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

I assume my only option is taking my toys and going home (leave the HRE)?

Declare war on a non-HRE ally of the Emperor, 100% him, and roll it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really like the idea of upgrading provinces but I've always felt the whole EU4 economy was a bit of a clusterfuck. Basetax, production, trade power, the whole trade system. They're ok mechanics individually but they combine to make a fairly confusing mish-mash. They've gotten a lot better though, but I feel like there's a lot more balance in store.

I'd just love to see much more internal mechanics. More gameplay beyond war and diplomcy. CK2 is great for internal politics, and Victoria was great for internal economics and politics, but other than the rebel system there's not much. Development has been a great addition, but it seems like there's so much more room for gameplay. Flesh out culture and internal economics more and you could spend a whole game focusing internally.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Pellisworth posted:

Nah that's just a huge pile of allied armies stacked above supply limit and eating attrition

The AI has done this forever it's just worse with Common Sense fort changes

This is amazing if they're not your allies. I had a huge coalition form as the Ottomans, and they quickly declared against me, roughly 220K vs. about 56K on my side. And then, six months later, a second coalition formed (I'd taken three provinces from Austria to get Vienna and Europe got PISSED) with another 60K. I ended up waiting them out in the mountains with two 20K stacks and absolutely crushing 60-80K armies, who would then rush back taking attrition the whole time, or else they'd sit on Plovdiv (same province, actually) losing 10K men a month. I trapped 40K of Venice's armies from the second coalition on Naxos with a fleet, completely neutering it, and within a couple years my first coalition was down to ~100K troops and I just smashed them to pieces, it was great. Unfortunately, the first coalition was led by an OPM and I didn't want any more territory until my AE died down, so I couldn't take anything from them but 13 gold - it would have been nice if I could have at least humiliated Poland who was in the mix.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I just started a game, as Sweden, and I have no idea what's going on and what I'm doing, or how to do stuff.

I'm digging it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

I really like the idea of upgrading provinces but I've always felt the whole EU4 economy was a bit of a clusterfuck. Basetax, production, trade power, the whole trade system. They're ok mechanics individually but they combine to make a fairly confusing mish-mash. They've gotten a lot better though, but I feel like there's a lot more balance in store.

I'd just love to see much more internal mechanics. More gameplay beyond war and diplomcy. CK2 is great for internal politics, and Victoria was great for internal economics and politics, but other than the rebel system there's not much. Development has been a great addition, but it seems like there's so much more room for gameplay. Flesh out culture and internal economics more and you could spend a whole game focusing internally.
:agreed: I had been thinking that basetax would end up being the total development level - anything that happens in a province (trade, production, travelling on roads, whatever) can be taxed. So I was thinking that the admin upgrade would be production oriented, the diplo upgrade would be trade/navy oriented, and the mil upgrade would be well, mil/army related, and they would alllll contribute to tax income (because you can tax anything/everything). If they did that they could let you alter taxes for a small RevoltRisk (or unrest or whatever it is called now) reduction without changing autonomy, or lower autonomy for the large RR reduction it currently is. With that mechanic you could tax different cultures (accepted or not) differently (tax accepted more because they have lower relvot risk).

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

A million beheaded heretics, heathens and disgruntled peasants later, the Teutonic Order can finally declare Pax Teutonicus! The Ottoman hordes are still at large, always boasting a hundred thousand warriors whenever we did battle for the scraps of a monstrously huge Crimea, who spanned from Kiev to Sibir. As the Ottomans grow fatter on the ripe fields to the South, we feel implored to fully establish the bulwark against these legions of injustice as was our duty of old..

Three years later, I say let them come.

One should probably pick more military ideas than Defensive for the first 200 years of the game when doing these, although Devotion's as ludicrously good as it's easy to keep up. I used to prefer theocracies for their lack of stab hits on ruler deaths, but Common Sense has completely ruined any other government form for me - If you haven't tried one out yet, you're seriously missing out, I felt so spoiled during this run!

Oh, and joining the HRE, just to see your emperor Austria buddy flip religion, lose the seat and watch it get tossed to Bohemia, your rival, who promptly declare Ewiger Landfriede is no fun, although it did clear an entire front for me to not worry about!
..Now to turn into Prussia and get that goose step achievement! :v:

E:

Oh, and how I wish we were able to drag our country's name around, making it fit better.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

Kersch posted:

Improving provinces more will be fun, but I'm worried there will be too much wealth everywhere. I kind of wish that base tax and base production were more different. One is an income generator and the other is the better income generator. Base manpower is much better differentiated in comparison

Not necessarily, in some scenarios investing into basetax is absolutely worthwhile. For example, the Baltic region has lovely trade goods all around, there's no reason to invest in improving your production of grain or fish. Theocracies (coincidentally, three of which are in the Baltic) also get way more from taxes thanks to their ridiculous 25% bonus from devotion.

Agreed that production is outright superior for most countries though, unless for some reason you don't have control of your home trade node, but in that case you have bigger problems.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Did you sign A Bitter Peace? :eyepop:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Bort Bortles posted:

Did you sign A Bitter Peace? :eyepop:

Just spending some of my Baltic treasure on prestige projects, you may call me the original Swan King.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

So I just shelled out for Common Sense and also started up my first game since the accompanying patch, and I keep losing battles which it seems to me I ought to win :confused:

I'm still stuck very much in pre-CS mindset and am trying to work out what I need to reconsider but I'm just not getting it. One example, I had 28 units attacking against 16, same military tech level, very similar army composition, roughly equal generals, fighting on plains. There was a river crossing malus but that wouldn't have been enough to make me lose in the past. Has there been some big boost to the defender in battles? What else has changed to make this sort of thing happen?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Jeeze, late game coring costs can be brutal as provinces are much more heavily developed.

Trying to take massively developed core land from Bohemia with their +50% hostile core creation is just... it's just...

Keep your loving land. :negative:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

THE BAR posted:

A million beheaded heretics, heathens and disgruntled peasants later, the Teutonic Order can finally declare Pax Teutonicus! The Ottoman hordes are still at large, always boasting a hundred thousand warriors whenever we did battle for the scraps of a monstrously huge Crimea, who spanned from Kiev to Sibir. As the Ottomans grow fatter on the ripe fields to the South, we feel implored to fully establish the bulwark against these legions of injustice as was our duty of old..

Three years later, I say let them come.

One should probably pick more military ideas than Defensive for the first 200 years of the game when doing these, although Devotion's as ludicrously good as it's easy to keep up. I used to prefer theocracies for their lack of stab hits on ruler deaths, but Common Sense has completely ruined any other government form for me - If you haven't tried one out yet, you're seriously missing out, I felt so spoiled during this run!

Oh, and joining the HRE, just to see your emperor Austria buddy flip religion, lose the seat and watch it get tossed to Bohemia, your rival, who promptly declare Ewiger Landfriede is no fun, although it did clear an entire front for me to not worry about!
..Now to turn into Prussia and get that goose step achievement! :v:

E:

Oh, and how I wish we were able to drag our country's name around, making it fit better.

I'm working through this right now and even though Austria and Bohemia are rivals and competing emperors, I've been allying either of them or both throughout the run no problems. No royal marriage ftw.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fintilgin posted:

Jeeze, late game coring costs can be brutal as provinces are much more heavily developed.

Trying to take massively developed core land from Bohemia with their +50% hostile core creation is just... it's just...

Keep your loving land. :negative:

It's brutal in the early and mid game too. Taking a developed country's provinces basically means you're going to be behind admin tech for a decade. With how much more important admin points are compared to dip in the early game, I'm having a real hard time not taking Influence as my first idea group no matter which nation I'm playing. Diplo-annexing just seems so much better than taking territory directly early on.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
OPM Frankfurt Pro-Tip: Don't use Cologne/Trier as your initial vassals. Austria will smack you around to release them and end your run.

THE BAR posted:

My "end boss" for my Teutonic Order game was fighting the Ottomans for fun. I realized I could take Jerusalem/Nabulus/Gaza, convert them, and release the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

VDay posted:

It's brutal in the early and mid game too. Taking a developed country's provinces basically means you're going to be behind admin tech for a decade. With how much more important admin points are compared to dip in the early game, I'm having a real hard time not taking Influence as my first idea group no matter which nation I'm playing. Diplo-annexing just seems so much better than taking territory directly early on.
I havent gotten to play much since Common Sense came out. My usual go-to country to play as post-patches is the Ottomans. I got like 10 years in, had not acquired any new tech, had only conquered my cores in Anoatolia plus Greece when I took Constantinople, and looked around the map and said "gently caress, I dont have anywhere I want to conquer". It is going to be nigh-impossible to conquer the Mamluks in a timely fashion and fighting Hungary and France to make progress in the Balkans sure does not sound like fun. The changes to manpower and coring costs really puts the brakes on everything. I just do not feel motivated to do anything because I am going to be doing it all so slowly.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
So I bought a couple DLCs (not including Common Sense) during the sale and came back to the game for the first time in months. However, I've noticed that the building slots lock is in my game even without buying the Common Sense DLC. How do I overcome this lock without the DLC?

Also, playing as Portugal, I made it first the Caribbean but apparently all of it is claimed by Spain. The problem is that Spain as a country doesn't exist yet and I don't think Castle has even been to the new world yet so how can they claim something they don't even know about.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

VDay posted:

Not necessary,

I've personally cored every single province you see here except for Urbino and I have two admin idea groups completed. I've also spent over 1k admin points in development while waiting for truces to cool. Administrative is really good right now, not to mention how much it saves your manpower. Also I haven't gotten Influence over Diplomatic since Common Sense, diplo is just simply better than influence right now imo unless you're somewhere with a ton of wrong culture and wrong religion lands.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

Bort Bortles posted:

I havent gotten to play much since Common Sense came out. My usual go-to country to play as post-patches is the Ottomans. I got like 10 years in, had not acquired any new tech, had only conquered my cores in Anoatolia plus Greece when I took Constantinople, and looked around the map and said "gently caress, I dont have anywhere I want to conquer". It is going to be nigh-impossible to conquer the Mamluks in a timely fashion and fighting Hungary and France to make progress in the Balkans sure does not sound like fun. The changes to manpower and coring costs really puts the brakes on everything. I just do not feel motivated to do anything because I am going to be doing it all so slowly.

So it's bad that you won't be bored with the game by 1600?

The reduced pace of expansion owns imo. The lategame has never been this engaging in EU. Admittedly I have a tendency to play conservatively, but it's a fun change from the "total forever war" mindset.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Guildencrantz posted:

So it's bad that you won't be bored with the game by 1600?

The reduced pace of expansion owns imo. The lategame has never been this engaging in EU. Admittedly I have a tendency to play conservatively, but it's a fun change from the "total forever war" mindset.
Oh yeah, that is a good point, especially considering that is a problem I had. It just seems so harsh comparitively, I guess. Probably just adjusting-to-the-new-mechanics pains on my part.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Err, so my CN New Austria got attacked by CN New Holland. I'm in a regency so I can't declare on anyone, New or Old. Now my troops stationed in New Austria are standing around watching Dutch soldiers overrun it.. this can't be WAD, right?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Oh, cool, I didn't know TO had a 50 liberty desire penalty when vassalized by Poland. Welp, there goes my ironman game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Has anything changed in the past couple months regarding revoking cores? If I conquer Kosovo (the gold province) from Serbia in one war, then go to war with them later, can I get Serbia to revoke its core on Kosovo? I want to do this so I can release Serbia as a vassal to hold on to all of that lovely Serbian land.

Then again I may just go admin for the extra -25% coring cost discount and conquer everything. I'm just worried that without humanist I will not have that many accepted cultures and my empire will be large but weak and have terrible religious unity.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh, cool, I didn't know TO had a 50 liberty desire penalty when vassalized by Poland. Welp, there goes my ironman game.

The point of enabling ironman isn't to quit whenever something bad happens

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
yeah the point is so you can get achievements

50 liberty desire is manageable though isn't it? that's not a game ender

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I got :sweden:ed!!!

Something looks screwy with the liberty desire calculations. Moldavia and TO have different numbers for "all vassals' relative power to Poland" and it's causing TO's liberty desire to peg at 100% while Moldavia's sitting at 10%.

Didn't Poland used to get a technology cost bonus at some point?

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 23, 2015

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Zettace posted:

So I bought a couple DLCs (not including Common Sense) during the sale and came back to the game for the first time in months. However, I've noticed that the building slots lock is in my game even without buying the Common Sense DLC. How do I overcome this lock without the DLC?

You should be able to build without Common Sense. Have you tried it in provinces with high development?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I loving love how missions got "redone" and a bunch that were neat are utter poo poo now, but "reduce overextension!" is still a 3 skill diplomat :xd:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
to be fair the vast majority are huge improvements

sad about the free basetax on colony completion one going though :smith:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
If I'm playing Castille and have a female ruler and the Iberian Wedding fires, I'm the one who gets hosed, right?

ed

LOL

Immediately after posting this I spawned Castillian Civil War but don't seem to have gotten any benefit from choosing the male heir.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 23, 2015

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

I got :sweden:ed!!!

Something looks screwy with the liberty desire calculations. Moldavia and TO have different numbers for "all vassals' relative power to Poland" and it's causing TO's liberty desire to peg at 100% while Moldavia's sitting at 10%.

Didn't Poland used to get a technology cost bonus at some point?

I think marches get a reduced relative power to liege modifier compared to vassals

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Luigi Thirty posted:

huh? A lot of nations do that. Build up your relations with them and it'll lower their liberty desire. How on earth is that a game ender?

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Omelette du Fromage posted:

The point of enabling ironman isn't to quit whenever something bad happens

I'd play more Ironman because I'd like to get the achievements but the saving every month gets old after a while. Even on an SSD the slight delay is enough to annoy the poo poo out of me since I usually like to run at 3 speed most of the time. That said, I see why it is done that way so you can't cheese the achievements.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Do you still get random events that give you core on enemy provinces?

Cause this 200 admin off the loving bat is crazy. I even gotta core Granada as Castille.

You can get a rare event if you're at war with someone to get a core on one of their provinces, wouldn't rely on it though.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...

ImPureAwesome posted:

I believe you can actually keep vassals out of war now through the subject menu

Ah, for some reason I'd gotten it into my head that enabling scutage was something that couldn't easily be undone, like designating a March. Guess I'll find out if scutage overrides Marches not giving income. Thanks!

I think it would be simpler/more elegant to just allow the player to take occupation/provinces in the peace from a subject and just imposing a liberty desire increase and relations hit when you do. At least for Marches and Vassals (I could see not doing this with PUs).

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Bort Bortles posted:

I loving love how missions got "redone" and a bunch that were neat are utter poo poo now, but "reduce overextension!" is still a 3 skill diplomat :xd:

Historical event and maybe even mission advisors should really be massively discounted or free. Nice, a level 3 dude/lady who costs 3 times my monthly income to support. Thanks, but no thanks.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Think I just found a bug.

Building something on a province looks like it costs more on the province building page compared to the building window. A textile manufactory costs me 412 through the building window, but going through the province to build costs me about 490.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Oh god Russia what happened to you :norway:

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Did Hungary's color change this patch to that ugly, ugly brown?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Just take Royal Prussia from them before you vassalize them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Fintilgin posted:

Historical event and maybe even mission advisors should really be massively discounted or free. Nice, a level 3 dude/lady who costs 3 times my monthly income to support. Thanks, but no thanks.

I can understand advisors costing exponentially more as they get higher-level, but nobody's ever going to hire a level 3 advisor in 1500, so why should they even appear then? Something like making advisor bonuses more granular and having development in the province they come from alter their skill level/bonuses might be good. So at the beginning of the game, you only end up with advisors that are the equivalent of level 1 and by the end your development should be high enough in at least some provinces to produce top-quality advisors.

• Locked thread