Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Augmented Dickey posted:

I did some measuring this morning:

Front axle- left tire has ~.75mm more tread than the right tire
Rear axle- left tire has ~2mm more tread than the right tire

So hopefully replacing the rear right tire will mostly solve the issue.

Ok, so for fun, I used a little caclulator to illustrate the difference. Assuming a perfect nominal new tire, and that you run a 235/45R17, the worn tire is now a 235/44.1R17.

So don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I replaced the worn rear tire today and it seems much better. The tech said that the front two tires were close enough to be compatable. Thanks for your help!

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

anyone know what make/model i'm looking at here?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Citroen DS cabriolet by the looks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TheQat posted:

anyone know what make/model i'm looking at here?

Almost looks like a triumph?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Slavvy posted:

Citroen DS cabriolet by the looks.

fits the bill judging from google searches. thx

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have a 2000 Toyota Tacoma, Xracab with the 2.7L engine, 4WD. The exhaust is a rusty mess. From the flange just behind the Cat all the way back, rust, holes and more rust.
My plan of attack is a new muffler assembly, new gasket for the flange behind the cat, new gasket for the O2 sensor, new studs and bolts if the rusty ones there dissolve during removal, and a grinder on hand for any stuck fasteners. Is there anything I am missing here?

Lastly, can I install the new assembly with the truck on the ground, or should I use jackstands or a lift? FWIW, this is a pretty tall truck with 31" tires and I can do the oil without any ramps or anything.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I have a 2000 Toyota Tacoma, Xracab with the 2.7L engine, 4WD. The exhaust is a rusty mess. From the flange just behind the Cat all the way back, rust, holes and more rust.
My plan of attack is a new muffler assembly, new gasket for the flange behind the cat, new gasket for the O2 sensor, new studs and bolts if the rusty ones there dissolve during removal, and a grinder on hand for any stuck fasteners. Is there anything I am missing here?
O2 sensors can be very stuck in place, so be prepared for that.

A bag of large repair washers on hand to re-secure any parts of the heat shields that have come adrift (the holes corrode out and they punch past the nut holding them on). Exhaust assembly paste for doing the joints.

Also new mounting rubbers are cheap, maybe replace them while you're at it, means you can just cut the old ones off.

Lastly, can I install the new assembly with the truck on the ground, or should I use jackstands or a lift? FWIW, this is a pretty tall truck with 31" tires and I can do the oil without any ramps or anything.
Up to you. If you've got enough elbow room under there without lifting it, go right ahead.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

InitialDave posted:

O2 sensors can be very stuck in place, so be prepared for that.

A bag of large repair washers on hand to re-secure any parts of the heat shields that have come adrift (the holes corrode out and they punch past the nut holding them on). Exhaust assembly paste for doing the joints.

Also new mounting rubbers are cheap, maybe replace them while you're at it, means you can just cut the old ones off.

Up to you. If you've got enough elbow room under there without lifting it, go right ahead.

Good to hear. Thanks for the tips. I will look for some hanger rubbers as well.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Being a Toyota the flange studs will shear at the slightest hint of torque, but they're standardised and you can buy them from the dealer for not much.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
So my 2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ (4.0, 6 cyl) is kicking out a code P0431. I googled it and this is what I've got:

quote:

Technical Description: Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

What does that mean?
Basically this means that the oxygen sensor downstream of the catalytic converter on bank 2 is detecting that the converter is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). It is part of the vehicle emissions system.

Symptoms:
You will likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a rough/hard idle when cold.

Causes:
A code P0431 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The catalytic converter is no longer functioning properly
An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
There is an exhaust leak

I've checked the exhaust and it seems sound. It doesn't wiggle or move when I put force on it. I don't think I have a leak.

I've inspected the O2 sensors.. The post-cat O2 sensor on the #2 bank has been replaced recently by the last owner. He must have had this same issue but was able to band aid it before the sale.

So, I believe the catalytic converter to be bad on bank 2. I know you can check this with a laser temp gun and I'd like to know exactly how to go about doing this.

It's supposed to be a certain temp before and after but I'm not sure about the particulars. Help?

Edit: Code 2:

My Jeep is also kicking out a generic code P0700 for the Transmission Control Module. What can I use to interface with this TCM.. Can it be done through the OBD port or does it require some expensive diagnostics stuff?

I've heard that cats go bad easily especially if the engines putting out bad exhaust. Maybe this has something to do with it or maybe not since it's a 10 year old vehicle..

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jun 22, 2015

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I had the same P0431 code a year back in my Tacoma. I ended up finding that a small hole in a vacuum hose was causing the EGR to perform poorly, and throwing the readings for the Cat off. This is my theory at least, since repairing the hose stopped the code from returning. Not saying it is your issue, but it could be another to consider.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

I had the same P0431 code a year back in my Tacoma. I ended up finding that a small hole in a vacuum hose was causing the EGR to perform poorly, and throwing the readings for the Cat off. This is my theory at least, since repairing the hose stopped the code from returning. Not saying it is your issue, but it could be another to consider.

Jeeps with the 4.0 don't have an EGR, so this isn't his problem.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
In my continuing quest of me being dumb about cars, how bad is the penalty for driving around with expired tags on your license plate? I moved to a new state a few weeks ago and after a lot of headaches in getting settled, I'm finally getting around to reg-ing my car in my new state, as the tags on my old plate are dated 06-15 and expire at the end of this month. However, I took out a loan to get this car and the lender is the lienholder on the title, so the original is with them, and I need the original title to register my car here (moved from IL to PA).

They and PennDOT both said this happens all the time and it's a simple enough process to get the original title in front of the correct people, however I'm getting vastly different numbers on the length of the process- as little as three days and as many as 45 :shepface: I have all the info I need to get tags for my old state so I'm not driving around with expired ones (and it shouldn't take them more than a week to reach me), but I'd like to not have to pay for two $100 registrations within a couple months of each other if it can be helped. Should I just suck it up and re-register in my old state right away, or can I get away with waiting for the title to go through?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

What is the best way to tell if an idler pulley is bad and causing a squeaking/squealing noise?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

C-Euro posted:

In my continuing quest of me being dumb about cars, how bad is the penalty for driving around with expired tags on your license plate? I moved to a new state a few weeks ago and after a lot of headaches in getting settled, I'm finally getting around to reg-ing my car in my new state, as the tags on my old plate are dated 06-15 and expire at the end of this month. However, I took out a loan to get this car and the lender is the lienholder on the title, so the original is with them, and I need the original title to register my car here (moved from IL to PA).

They and PennDOT both said this happens all the time and it's a simple enough process to get the original title in front of the correct people, however I'm getting vastly different numbers on the length of the process- as little as three days and as many as 45 :shepface: I have all the info I need to get tags for my old state so I'm not driving around with expired ones (and it shouldn't take them more than a week to reach me), but I'd like to not have to pay for two $100 registrations within a couple months of each other if it can be helped. Should I just suck it up and re-register in my old state right away, or can I get away with waiting for the title to go through?

You're going to get a lot of anecdotal evidence for this. Personally, when I was a teenager I once drove my mid-90s Ranger for over a year on expired tags without realizing they were expired and was never pulled over.

Usually it will depend on the officer who spots you, and how long it has been since they expired. Since you're currently on out of state plates as long as it doesn't take several months to get this resolved I'd guess you'll be OK, because a lot of cops are going to take a "not my job to enforce some other state's expired plate" stance, at least as long as you don't get pulled over for something else.

Elmnt80 posted:

What is the best way to tell if an idler pulley is bad and causing a squeaking/squealing noise?

Remove the belt and turn the idler by hand. If its really bad you should be able to hear it, but I'd feel for resistance as you spin it by hand.

While you're at it if you're that far along you might as well just replace it, idlers are cheap and you've already done 90% of the work in removing the belt.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 23, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Elmnt80 posted:

Open the hood and see if that's where the noise is coming from?

Edit: It may also be hotter than the other pulleys, but you probably don't want to test that with the engine running.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Geoj posted:

Remove the belt and turn the idler by hand. If its really bad you should be able to hear it, but I'd feel for resistance as you spin it by hand.

While you're at it if you're that far along you might as well just replace it, idlers are cheap and you've already done 90% of the work in removing the belt

I had done this and I think I can hear a faint sound of metal scraping, but no resistance. I really only hear it when the engine is revving up above idle, so I dunno. I've already replaced the tensioner pulley while trying to track down the source of the squeal, so I'll probably just throw the other pulley at it when I'm at work tomorrow and call it good enough. Its not like pulling the belt off of a 5.3 in a truck is hard.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 23, 2015

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

Elmnt80 posted:

I had done this and I think I can hear a faint sound of metal scraping, but no resistance. I really only hear it when the engine is revving up above idle, so I dunno. I've already replaced the tensioner pulley while trying to track down the source of the squeal, so I'll probably just throw the other pulley at it when I'm at work tomorrow and call it good enough. Its not like pulling the belt off of a 5.3 in a truck is hard.

A properly functioning idler pulley will have a bit of resistance, but it will turn completely smooth. If it has no drag, the seals have probably failed and the grease has escaped, the bearing rollers will follow suit shortly.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Get a really long screwdriver and put it up against the non-moving center bit of the pulley and put your ear to the other end.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Slavvy posted:

Get a really long screwdriver and put it up against the non-moving center bit of the pulley and put your ear to the other end.

I feel like this is something I saw in one of those "scared straight" industrial accident movies they show you on the first day of shop class...

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there anything about a full tank vs empty that I could notice when driving, or is it just placebo that I feel like the car's weight and body motion when accelerating are different immediately after filling up? <3000 pound car with me in it, 16 gallon tank. That seems like it doesn't even add 100 pounds, much less than any passenger I carry. Maybe because it's over the rear rather than the front?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The weight is super noticeable.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I get the feeling this sort of damage isn't worth fixing, but I'd like confirmation.

Something fell off a pickup truck and hit me on the interstate and caused my hood to fly up and slam into my windshield. I didn't get the guy's plates and wasn't paying enough attention to even get the make and color of the loving thing, so insurance is likely gonna be impossible on this; I went from singing along with a song I like on the radio to having a view full of broken glass and metal. Only reason I can confirm it was a truck is a state trooper saw me swerve from behind the guy to the side of the road, but he was southbound while I was northbound so he didn't catch plates or anything.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geoj posted:

I feel like this is something I saw in one of those "scared straight" industrial accident movies they show you on the first day of shop class...

It is something mechanics do constantly without mishap; indeed, it's the go-to way for finding elusive alternator or water pump noises.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

John Dyne posted:

I get the feeling this sort of damage isn't worth fixing, but I'd like confirmation.

Something fell off a pickup truck and hit me on the interstate and caused my hood to fly up and slam into my windshield. I didn't get the guy's plates and wasn't paying enough attention to even get the make and color of the loving thing, so insurance is likely gonna be impossible on this; I went from singing along with a song I like on the radio to having a view full of broken glass and metal. Only reason I can confirm it was a truck is a state trooper saw me swerve from behind the guy to the side of the road, but he was southbound while I was northbound so he didn't catch plates or anything.

Depends how much the car is worth, but unless it's something either fairly new or worth a bit, I'd probably count on it being a write-off. Since it caused the hood to open, you can probably count on radiator damage (hood latch attaches to the radiator support), a/c damage (condenser sits in front of the radiator), and fender damage (since everything up front ultimately attaches to the radiator support - it looks like the passenger fender has been moved upward anyway). It's potentially a lot more than just roof, hood, and windshield damage. The upside is it's unlikely there's any unibody damage, so someone with body shop connections could get it fixed pretty cheaply.

Hopefully you had insurance on it that would cover an event like this (what kind of coverage that would be varies from state to state - in some states that could be counted under a comprehensive claim IF whatever fell off the truck hit the ground first, in others it would be collision). :smith:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is there anything about a full tank vs empty that I could notice when driving, or is it just placebo that I feel like the car's weight and body motion when accelerating are different immediately after filling up? <3000 pound car with me in it, 16 gallon tank. That seems like it doesn't even add 100 pounds, much less than any passenger I carry. Maybe because it's over the rear rather than the front?

A gallon of gasoline weighs about 6 pounds, so that's 96 pounds.

It doesn't sound like much, but on a smaller car, that weight difference is very noticeable. I notice a huge difference in my car's handling (and acceleration) with just one passenger - 2800 pound car with 140 hp. A full tank of gas also makes it handle a little different, and I only have a 13 gallon tank.

The average person wouldn't notice it, but someone who actually pays attention to how their car handles will notice it. It'll be a lot less noticeable in a larger car.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jun 23, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

This is barely related, but I used to ride a motorcycle that had a 7 gallon tank, and the difference between full and empty was amazing. It was to the point where, if I was just going to be riding around town, I'd only bother filling it half way.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

some texas redneck posted:

Depends how much the car is worth, but unless it's something either fairly new or worth a bit, I'd probably count on it being a write-off.

It's a 2000 Ford Contour so I kinda figured it was destined for the scrap heap. I had to replace the starter and the battery cables earlier this year so I think any more work into it is gonna be a waste, or more than getting a newer used car.

Thanks for the confirmation!

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Trying to find an owner manual PDF for my pops for a 2002 VW Turbo Beetle. Everywhere I look is dead links and poo poo, or the repair manual.
I know I can get one on eBay for like $40-$50, but you know, free is better. Appreciate any help.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Gasoline is about 6.3 pounds per gallon (going to assume US units based on the .gov source). A full tank of gas in my jeep is approximately 19 gallons, so almost the weight of an average healthy woman. If you have a smaller tank, you might not notice the difference, but I can definitely feel the difference when I have two extra people.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

EightBit posted:

Gasoline is about 6.3 pounds per gallon (going to assume US units based on the .gov source). A full tank of gas in my jeep is approximately 19 gallons, so almost the weight of an average healthy woman. If you have a smaller tank, you might not notice the difference, but I can definitely feel the difference when I have two extra people.
So you're saying I should dump the body before getting gas in order to maintain performance?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

This is barely related, but I used to ride a motorcycle that had a 7 gallon tank, and the difference between full and empty was amazing. It was to the point where, if I was just going to be riding around town, I'd only bother filling it half way.

I used to drive a Kei car for work, the drat thing actually handled a lot better for everyday driving with a full tank because that was about the only weight there was on the back wheels.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

InitialDave posted:

So you're saying I should dump the body before getting gas in order to maintain performance?

Oh, you can go further than that.

vv I suddenly realize i completely misread that post. :downs: what an innocent mind i have. vv

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 23, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

InitialDave posted:

No. You want to fill the tank several days - and dozens of miles - away from the dump site. Have a 3/4-full tank when you're making your disposal run, you want to be comfortably independent of local suppliers for everything. Gas stations have cameras, they'll spot you filling up at that open-all-night station at the crossroads just down from those nice, tangled bushes. Between your furtive glances, the mud caking the wheel wells (and your shoes), and the black garbage bags flapping out of the trunk, they'll nail you quickly.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Don't take your cell phone with you either. Don't want the feds to know you were at the burial site ever :tinfoil:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh, I'm not leaving all the bits in one place. I'm not a moron.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
2002 Ford Escape, v6 engine: engine light came on, code indicates one of the upstream 02 sensors is bad. Local chains want $45 per sensor for what is $25 per on Rockauto or Amazon. Would it be risky to the engine to operate it as is while the parts come in or would lovely gas mileage be the only concern? We're talking a week, tops.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Parts Kit posted:

2002 Ford Escape, v6 engine: engine light came on, code indicates one of the upstream 02 sensors is bad. Local chains want $45 per sensor for what is $25 per on Rockauto or Amazon. Would it be risky to the engine to operate it as is while the parts come in or would lovely gas mileage be the only concern? We're talking a week, tops.

You'll be fine, just make sure you get a sensor that is at least as good as the OEM. I used a bosch sensor in my jeep and it didn't fix it - put in the NTK sensor and all was well.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

My office is at the top of a large hill and when I drive home, I have probably a mile of 25mph speed limit hill descent. I have a 2004 Golf TDI with the DSG auto transmission, so instead of riding the brakes, I have been shifting into 3rd and engine braking to hold my speed under 35mph, give or take. I know that riding my brakes all the way down is bad for them in the sense that it's just wearing them down, but am I risking wear to the engine/transmission by holding speed this way? I'm usually sitting at around 2k RPM at max speed while doing this so still well below the redline, I just don't know if the fact that it's diesel makes any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No, you're doing the right thing, carry on.