Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Or find some iron in a roguelike dungeon, that's how I always start off in these packs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Turns out I am an idiot and I never found any aluminum. Made brass, shat out casts.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

What are good mods that make the environment more interesting? I'm looking for something like bigger/smoother terrain, more "sites" to find when exploring, interesting rare mobs*, big veins of ore instead of little pockets, etc. Preferably something that accounts for mod ores, since I'm shoving this into my high-tech setup.

*interesting in a "hey, that was cool" way, not a "flies and shits TNT everywhere" way

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train

Nolanar posted:

What are good mods that make the environment more interesting? I'm looking for something like bigger/smoother terrain, more "sites" to find when exploring, interesting rare mobs*, big veins of ore instead of little pockets, etc. Preferably something that accounts for mod ores, since I'm shoving this into my high-tech setup.

Most modpacks use cofh-core (the most basic part of the Thermal Expansion stack of mods, which can be used standalone or in combination with the rest of them) to control ore generation. It has a fairly simple configuration syntax and a few chat commands you can use in a creative world to test out your settings. There's documentation here http://cofh.github.io/docs/cofh-core/features/custom-world-generation/index.html (see for example the "large-vein" generator) and a collection of useful examples here https://github.com/ChatFawkes/CoFH-OreGen-Pack (note that you have to change some config options in cofh-core, notably ReplaceVanillaGeneration). I'm not ashamed to admit that I usually bump the numbers up by at least 2x or 3x on the rarer vanilla ores. I don't like spending hours hunting for enough gold ore to satisfy all the mods that use gold as their crafting staple.

Alternate Terrain Generation is a popular world-generation mod. It makes biomes fit together and mix more naturally and uses terrain heightmaps.

Roguelike Dungeons is the most straightforward way to get some more underground features.

Edit: you might find this thread helpful. Some people there seem to think Realistic World Gen is better than ATG. Recurrent Complex looks promising, too.

http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/3ap9yh/best_worldgen_mods/

Goncyn fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 22, 2015

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Thanks! RWG + Recurrent Complex + COFH dickery sounds like exactly what I was looking for.

Unrelatedly, is there a setting in MFR to control what kinds of ore the mining laser craps out? I don't really want it wasting cycles on cheese ore or stuff I don't even have installed (peridot, etc).

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
RWG has no oceans. Also, apparently there's some oddities with negative coordinates. Would not recommend.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
is there a way to get a minecraft install that is NOT in %appdata%? this is really hosed up, that they provide an installer now that lets you choose a directory, but it only puts a shortcut to the launcher in there and everything still goes to my hidden system folders.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i deleted all of my mods because i was pissed

Khorne
May 1, 2002

THE PENETRATOR posted:

is there a way to get a minecraft install that is NOT in %appdata%? this is really hosed up, that they provide an installer now that lets you choose a directory, but it only puts a shortcut to the launcher in there and everything still goes to my hidden system folders.
Use a third party launcher with a configurable directory. ATLauncher goes in the folder you put it in, I think the FTB launcher does as well, and I think with technic you can configure the directory although technic defaults to %appdata%/.technic.

ps use %appdata% I don't get why you're complaining

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 23, 2015

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Use any launcher at all and you can move it wherever

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

Khorne posted:

ps use %appdata% I don't get why you're complaining

I think he's afraid of those crypto viruses.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i have drive partitions for a reason... failtards

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I was going to say, I had to do that because I have an old 120G SSD that's starting to creak under the weight of my Program Files contents, but what possible reason is there to partition anymore?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

The answer to this issue is directory junctions. I use them to synchronize irc logs between my computers via Dropbox.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

THE PENETRATOR posted:

is there a way to get a minecraft install that is NOT in %appdata%?

FWIW, I use MultiMC and love it. Bonus, it's written by the original author of dfhack.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Group of us are looking to start a server, settled in Akliz. We plan on using 1.8 and I'm not entirely sure how to setup these mods. Uncharted territory for me and I'm the one who gets stuck setting all this up. Last time I did this is was a few years back and we used Buckit with MCMMO, Deathchest mod and that's it.

Basically they want:
Xaero's Minimap Mod - Uses Forge as far as I can tell.
Dimensional Doors - Uses Forge as far as I can tell. Argued as a way to add some adventuring in and add in teleportation.
Archimedes' Ships Mod - We'll be using Caver's Delight preset and people wanted some sort of airship.

Do I just compile those mods on the server side client and have them download the relevant mods?
Also does anyone have experience with The Twilight Forest mod? They mumbled about possibly having that.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Goncyn posted:

FWIW, I use MultiMC and love it. Bonus, it's written by the original author of dfhack.

my god..

Alaster
Nov 18, 2006

Hanging just next to your door in the hallway is a painting of an EXQUISITE WIZARD. Your mother collects these awful things IRONICALLY.
Just got back into modded minecraft after a while, what on earth happened to AE. To craft anything I need to...throw things into puddles to make fluix crystals? after making charged certus quartz that requires a charger built with fluix crystals? what is this garbage

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
you can mine charged certus.

also, i'm pretty sure you can set fluix to just be craftable via config.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005

Alasdair Crawfish posted:

Just got back into modded minecraft after a while, what on earth happened to AE. To craft anything I need to...throw things into puddles to make fluix crystals? after making charged certus quartz that requires a charger built with fluix crystals? what is this garbage

I just went through this whole process. I was initially totally indignant about the absurd complexity of AE2, but that was before I actually used it in a game. The mod's brilliant; it enables really amazing automation scenarios that I just don't see happening any other way. Unfortunately, it also just suffers from severe "my vision!" and "balance!" over-complication. Here's my advice.

1. disable channels in the ae2 config
2. disable the inscriber in the ae2 config
3. use either ae2's built-in custom recipes feature or minetweaker to add normal crafting table recipes for the three processors
4. use either ae2's built-in custom recipes feature or minetweaker to change the charger recipe to use normal (un-charged) certus quartz
5. get the ae2stuff mod and use its crystal growth chamber to circumvent the whole in-world crafting nonsense and its general unreliability

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Alasdair Crawfish posted:

New AE actually owns once you learn how to do it. The guy saying to disable everything fun and interesting is insane, although the chamber to do in world crafting is a decent block no real hate there.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Anybody who suggests that not having a crafting process for the processor set integral to the mod is fun and interesting is literal blockhitler.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ghostlight posted:

Anybody who suggests that not having a crafting process for the processor set integral to the mod is fun and interesting is literal blockhitler.
You can automate the crafting of them easily and the process is quick once you do. If you're doing it by hand it's slow, but the block was designed with automation in mind.

EnderIO conduits are great for it, and you can later put an interface and an import bus on the chest from your eio automation system.

The worst thing is probably fluix crystals. They are clumsy even while automated so any block that does those is great. The pure seeds are fine, you can grow stacks at once unlike the fluix crystals, and they automate easily once you get accelerators up which should be immediately. Meteors are fine too once you learn how to use the compass and dig down. I hated on meteors before but it was literally because I didn't know they could be underground.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

How do you automate the crafting process for something that literally has no crafting recipe by default?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Ghostlight posted:

How do you automate the crafting process for something that literally has no crafting recipe by default?

With much tedium. It's very annoying to setup and if you have magnet mode or anything that attracts items around it, it tends to poo poo its pants.

AE2 is fine, for me, with channels, but ae2stuff is a godsend and gently caress that inscribing process right off to hell.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ghostlight posted:

I was going to say, I had to do that because I have an old 120G SSD that's starting to creak under the weight of my Program Files contents, but what possible reason is there to partition anymore?

Well I for one install Windows on one partition and keep anything I don't want to lose on another one. Granted I also usually have multiple drives in the computer. Even so, if you pile Windows on one drive/partition and put your other crap on another one it makes it easier to wipe the OS and start over if you need to. Probably an old habit that isn't all that necessary anymore.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Well I for one install Windows on one partition and keep anything I don't want to lose on another one. Granted I also usually have multiple drives in the computer. Even so, if you pile Windows on one drive/partition and put your other crap on another one it makes it easier to wipe the OS and start over if you need to. Probably an old habit that isn't all that necessary anymore.

With the advent of SSD's, I can't imagine why you'd want to be piling poo poo on your OS drive. I haven't used partitioning since I started using SSD's. As for everything else, why bother? If the drive dies, partitions won't save your poo poo.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

You put an item transfer node (extra utils) on the side of the puddle, and it will remove the completed crystals when complete.
and you can do a dispenser to put the items in the puddle.

Inscriber you put in top left bottom and pull out of right.
Power in back and you are set - Or use Steves Factory Manager.

you can find Charged certus in world, once you get it then you only need 1 charged quartz to make 2 fluix meaning you can then make the charger to make more charged quartz. its a major first step to understand.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ghostlight posted:

For inscribers:

Set one up for each press, dump materials in the chest, have each conduit properly routed for each component. It will pull them from the chest and autocraft them. And at the end you can return them to the same chest or put them in a different chest if you want.

The 5th inscriber the bottom is the silicon, the middle is redstone, and the top is all of the unfinished processor components.

I use acceleration cards in them, but that comes later.

For crystal growth:

Use something that drops the item in, I used an open crate from botania.

On the bottom use a transfer node with a world interaction upgrade and an item filter with the finished components.

For channels:

Channels are actually fun and awesome. Disabling them seems pretty silly unless you really hate learning them or building cool networks/grids that require a little thought. It gives you an excuse to use all the colored cables too.

Nonsanity has a good channel video on youtube here. It doesn't spell out the practical applications for you, but at the end of the video and with a little tinkering yourself you should have a great grip on channels and why they are fun and cool. Sub networks are also really powerful for things like DSUs or storage bus arrays. You can put endless things on a single channel on your main network if you set it up properly.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Sorry, I was referring to this step:

Goncyn posted:

3. use either ae2's built-in custom recipes feature or minetweaker to add normal crafting table recipes for the three processors
Assuming Goncyn was referring to the inscription presses.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Speaking of AE2,

I keep having a problem where an interface attached to a tesseract stops importing items. I have plenty of open drives that it is normally going to, some of the items that get stuck even have very empty DSUs with storage buses in my stem, and after it happened once I put it on its own line just to make sure it wasn't some weird channel thing. It's also not system power, because I added a Dense Energy Cell and it never dips. I don't get it. It seems to happen randomly. To fix it I can just break the cable attached and reattach it. I also had an import bus stop working on a machine earlier similarly.

Ghostlight posted:

Sorry, I was referring to this step:

Assuming Goncyn was referring to the inscription presses.
AE2 has config settings for adding recipes for things that don't have recipes. I'll be honest, I hated the ae2 meteors/in world crafting at first. But once you figure it out, and there is quite a learning/understanding curve, it's actually rather neat and it scales in a good way.

Except fluix crystals. I just queue up a craft of 512-1024 crystals and a similar amount of dust in my system after a while, but early on even if you automate them it takes time. I would rush to automate them in the future, I think I crafted 128 by hand this build.

Charged certus isn't too bad, just filter charged out of the machine and put non-charged in. Doing it by hand is fine for the first few, but for anything else it's worth it to at least put some pipes on it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 24, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The only thing i don't like about new AE (in OMP-i anyway) is that there is no longer a big box full of recipes to autocraft and you instead have to make lots of crafting machines with a bunch of interfaces if you want that functionality.

Thank gently caress for NEI shift+? I suppose.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It can end up as a big box, just they are going to be different components. A starting configuration to use up all 8 channels from a surface of an ME controller is

code:
[I] [A] [I]   [A] [I] [A]
[A] [c] [A]   [I] [c] [I]
Where
I = interface
A = molecular assembler
c = cable

This will provide you with 9 * 8 = 72 slots for patterns and a pretty good chance that there's no conflict between assemblers.
Once you move into Dense Cable and have access to 32 channels, you can expand the pattern longer (4 times for 288 slots!) and be basically set for crafting recipes in the mid game.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

It can end up as a big box, just they are going to be different components. A starting configuration to use up all 8 channels from a surface of an ME controller is

code:
[A] [c] [A]   [I] [c] [I]
Where
I = interface
A = molecular assembler
c = cable

This will provide you with 9 * 8 = 72 slots for patterns and a pretty good chance that there's no conflict between assemblers.
Once you move into Dense Cable and have access to 32 channels, you can expand the pattern longer (4 times for 288 slots!) and be basically set for crafting recipes in the mid game.

Dense Cable is the way to go, and you make controllers as a hollow cube (bit like the unfilled Tessaract frame)

and then you can P2P out to remote areas using the standard glass cable

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but you still end up with just lots of interfaces for just a few patterns each. I liked in the old version how you could dedicate a page to having every recipe from a mod, or like all the different color variant lights from project red, for example.

Obviously AE2 is more geared towards lots of small networks/subnetworks instead of one big one. I certainly wouldn't complain if Extra Cells or something added in a "pattern storage" super-interface or something.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Light Gun Man posted:

Yeah but you still end up with just lots of interfaces for just a few patterns each. I liked in the old version how you could dedicate a page to having every recipe from a mod, or like all the different color variant lights from project red, for example.

Obviously AE2 is more geared towards lots of small networks/subnetworks instead of one big one. I certainly wouldn't complain if Extra Cells or something added in a "pattern storage" super-interface or something.

Interface terminals solve this problem.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Light Gun Man posted:

if you make 6 interfaces against 1 atomic and then make it a block so you have IAIAIA then next row down up left and right AIAIAI every interface has 6 assemblers and every assembler has 6 interfaces.
you put acceleration cards in all assemblers and it really goes fast.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i keep messing up my mod pack some how and getting insane crashes before the game loads so i've moved on to omp-i... sigh... anyway, what the heck is highlands biomes

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

TheresaJayne posted:

if you make 6 interfaces against 1 atomic and then make it a block so you have IAIAIA then next row down up left and right AIAIAI every interface has 6 assemblers and every assembler has 6 interfaces.
you put acceleration cards in all assemblers and it really goes fast.

Please speak English

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Maiden posted:

Please speak English

feed with dense cable round the outside

Layer 1 IAIAI
AIAIA
IAIAI

Layer 2