Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

DrShevek posted:

I really wish they would have kept vancian casters as vancian casters. Those per encounter spells are a bit imbalanced and subvert the rest mechanic.

The point was to keep low level spells a viable option even as you're slinging level 6 spells around, unfortunately Slicken happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Just remove the renamed Grease spell.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Dazzling lights, chill fog, fetid carass, and blackened sight are no slouches to spam as well.

DrShevek
Jan 6, 2015

Scorchy posted:

The point was to keep low level spells a viable option even as you're slinging level 6 spells around, unfortunately Slicken happened.

Even without per encounter spells, other level 1/2 spells (blessing, etc) would still be useful if they were vancian. More thank just slicken. They should just add a 1 or 2 more uses and keep them per rest.

DrShevek fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 23, 2015

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I killed that incestous nobleman and an event quest was completed at the same time so I got an average reputation boost in defiance bay, the way it always should have been. :unsmith:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Geez I ignored a battle event and ended up losing half my stronghold.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Wizard Styles posted:

Yeah, you missed 3 party members. :v:
Check the OP.

Admittedly, I was saved right next to another party member that I found 10 seconds after I loaded up.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The complete mental breakdown Codex and Sensuki are having over this game continue to be hilarious. Let me see if I understand this:

* Sensuki makes his review and asks PrimeJunta and FelipePepe to help out while keeping quiet about him making it; they do so.
* Unhappy with the already existing two reviews, PJ and FP make their own, wherein they dissect a fair amount of the game mechanics in detail. Sensuki is asked to help them out quietly, same as he asked them.
* Sensuki realizes the reveiw isn't going to be negative and instead posts the whole rough draft to the Codex while insulting it, which creates a twenty page thread dedicated to attacking the authors along with it seems plenty of emails and PMs sent their way. He not only posts the rough draft he was asked to keep quiet about, but private discussions
* VDweller and whoever that other guy is make their own fourth review, except they don't actually review any of the in-game mechanics and instead of just the most cliche and stock "OMG IT SUCKS" review possible.
* Sensuki brags about how much he hates SA and how lovely it is and how nobody should post there, then comes here again and again in a sad attempt to brag about how cool he is and how he totally doesn't care, all while whining that JE Sawyer won't respond to him or post on the Codex.

This is easily one of the saddest obsessions I've ever seen.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

NMA is less bad than the codex, which is really saying something.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

quote:

Take the firearms, for example. Firearms haven’t been invented in this world because it shows no signs of that. They were added to the items database, just another ranged weapon balanced against melee, if you feel that using a bow is so passé. Might as well add machine guns.

Similarly, the godlike races don't really exist in this world because the world never acknowledges them. There are cool looking avatars that only you can see; if you want, you can even have a fancy head of your own. Kickstarter stretch goals at their finest.

:psyduck: did they play the same game as me?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

frajaq posted:

No, because they didn't actually play it.

DrShevek
Jan 6, 2015

ProfessorCirno posted:

The complete mental breakdown Codex and Sensuki are having over this game continue to be hilarious. Let me see if I understand this:

* Sensuki makes his review and asks PrimeJunta and FelipePepe to help out while keeping quiet about him making it; they do so.
* Unhappy with the already existing two reviews, PJ and FP make their own, wherein they dissect a fair amount of the game mechanics in detail. Sensuki is asked to help them out quietly, same as he asked them.
* Sensuki realizes the reveiw isn't going to be negative and instead posts the whole rough draft to the Codex while insulting it, which creates a twenty page thread dedicated to attacking the authors along with it seems plenty of emails and PMs sent their way. He not only posts the rough draft he was asked to keep quiet about, but private discussions
* VDweller and whoever that other guy is make their own fourth review, except they don't actually review any of the in-game mechanics and instead of just the most cliche and stock "OMG IT SUCKS" review possible.
* Sensuki brags about how much he hates SA and how lovely it is and how nobody should post there, then comes here again and again in a sad attempt to brag about how cool he is and how he totally doesn't care, all while whining that JE Sawyer won't respond to him or post on the Codex.

Naw, didnt happen that way. The way it went down is...
1. PJ offered to make a review but he wanted insight from a bunch of people with different opinions on it. Infinitron agreed because he wanted a more balanced review for the Codex Steam Curator page.
2. So, PJ quickly wrote up a draft and invited a bunch of people into a private forum convo to look at it but he asked they keep it hush hush until it was published. PJ made the mistake of inviting Sensuki.
3. Sensuki got butthurt that the review was going to lean positive, so he leaked it.
4. PJ tried to soldier on after the initial leak and he invited FP to coauthor the thing with him to make it even more balanced. Both he and FP replayed through parts of the game on PotD and others busied themselves taking screenshots and providing feedback to help them write it.
5. VD released his review. It was ok but much lighter on details and analysis than PJ's review.
6. PJ found out that Sensuki asked for and got permission to leak the review (i.e. not get banned) from other Codex admin and he got pissed and dropped the review.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

frajaq posted:

Well to be fair, I too felt like the Godlike were underused in the game. Even Pallegina's feather thing is barely addressed when (late game spoiler) you talk to the gods.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i have skipped the last several hundred pages of this thread and now im not sure if i should regret that

what the hell is going on i thought codex and that sensuki person liked this game

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
From what I understand the beta was released, then Sensuki spends a hundred hours working on a mod for it, without really playing the game. The game gets released, he doesn't like it and decides that the fault is Obsidian's and that Sawyer ruined the game, instead of blaming himself for spending so much time in a game he didn't know if he would like. It is almost funny how bitter he is.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Sensuki is basically King Grog of Sperg Mountain and completely unrepentant about it and I'm not sure if it leans more heavily toward funny or pathetic.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DrShevek posted:

Naw, didnt happen that way. The way it went down is...
1. PJ offered to make a review but he wanted insight from a bunch of people with different opinions on it. Infinitron agreed because he wanted a more balanced review for the Codex Steam Curator page.
2. So, PJ quickly wrote up a draft and invited a bunch of people into a private forum convo to look at it but he asked they keep it hush hush until it was published. PJ made the mistake of inviting Sensuki.
3. Sensuki got butthurt that the review was going to lean positive, so he leaked it.
4. PJ tried to soldier on after the initial leak and he invited FP to coauthor the thing with him to make it even more balanced. Both he and FP replayed through parts of the game on PotD and others busied themselves taking screenshots and providing feedback to help them write it.
5. VD released his review. It was ok but much lighter on details and analysis than PJ's review.
6. PJ found out that Sensuki asked for and got permission to leak the review (i.e. not get banned) from other Codex admin and he got pissed and dropped the review.

Regardless of the quality of PoE and your opinions on it, that's a real rat bastard way to go about things. The whole furor does have the stink of a 90s usenet argument though, I hope the parties involved can move on and do something constructive with their lives :)

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
are codexers really complaining about the leftist agenda in their toys

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The whole furor does have the stink of a 90s usenet argument though

The people involved were arguing on usenet in the 90s.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mymla posted:

The people involved were arguing on usenet in the 90s.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Stop posting about stupid forums drama you losers.

ProfessorCirno posted:

You can just stop.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

ProfessorCirno posted:

That's some pretty good fantasy writing there, a bit of reality with just enough of a magical twist. I especially enjoyed the last bit hahah :)

I only reply when I see my name pop up (which happens quite often :S, you guys obsessed with me or something? Buying me tags, always talking about me). In contrast, I haven't seen anything like this on the badgame forums.

What's funny is that this is mostly a Codex political divide (as I stated in the OP) with backing from some staffers and a lot of the forum members. Shevek et. al's words are falling on deaf ears there so they are complaining on other forums about it (sorry about the disruption to the PoE discussion guys/mods etc, carry on).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

RottenK posted:

are codexers really complaining about the leftist agenda in their toys
Dude I saw this totally groundbreaking movie made out of bootstraps called Atlas Shrugged!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

gently caress. YOU.

Petrifying spell saved my bacon here - that, killing the xaurips first, using summons to distract the beast and running into the tunnel towards its cash reserves and picking off the adragans one by one. Oh, and a 120 damage sneak attack by my rogue. It was stunning how quickly its health melted after casting that petrification spell.

Also there is no way that Raedric is more difficult than the adra dragon. But eh. Its dead and that's what matters. Edit: I just checked the combat log and it was my summoned beetle that killed the dragon, so it makes sense that it doesn't show up as most powerful enemy defeated.

fakeedit: hang on, these numbers don't make sense. The time in combat is identical to time traveling and their sum is greater than total time passed.

double nine fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 23, 2015

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.
I think that time counting is bugged, unfortunately. Same thing with the Time Spent in Party timer. That, or I'm reading it wrong.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Kewpuh posted:

stop posting

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Question about the ending:

I finished all the quests of the gods, but each time I said that I needed to think about it - so I haven't aligned myself with any of them. Does this have an impact on the ending and/or my choices leading up to it?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

double nine posted:

Question about the ending:

I finished all the quests of the gods, but each time I said that I needed to think about it - so I haven't aligned myself with any of them. Does this have an impact on the ending and/or my choices leading up to it?

It does. If you go with one of them, make sure you keep up your end of the deal if you don't want any blowback

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am about to dive into this game for the first time, doing my usual crpg thing where I play two concurrent games, one "good" and one "evil". Looking for some insight on the following:

Good: Barbarian, 2-handed weapons

Evil/greedy: Rouge, duel wield, maybe pistols?

Looking for advice for what race to use, what builds to look at, what companions will offer the most fun experience for each run. I usually play on "normal" as I have a short attention span.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Furism posted:

Well to be fair, I too felt like the Godlike were underused in the game. Even Pallegina's feather thing is barely addressed when (late game spoiler) you talk to the gods.
wtf? She interrupts you to yell directly at Hylea about how pissed off she is that she was born a freakish feather woman, and Hylea actually responds to her! How does that not count as addressing it?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

A Steampunk Gent posted:

It does. If you go with one of them, make sure you keep up your end of the deal if you don't want any blowback

So should I go back and swear allegiance to one of them, or can I press on?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

double nine posted:

So should I go back and swear allegiance to one of them, or can I press on?

If you like any of their plans, just go with one of them. Two more get presented to you once you enter the final area though so you'll have to break any deal you've made to enact their's. If you don't like any of them you can go in by yourself and just take increased fall damage, though I think every available option is accounted for by one of the gods so unless you want to refuse on general principle there's no reason not to take the bargain. It's worth doing their prerequisite quests regardless though, they don't tie you into anything and most of them have you doing some interesting stuff

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

megalodong posted:

NMA is less bad than the codex, which is really saying something.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I finished the game, and I have to ask - is there a way to persuade Thaos that he was wrong, or does it always lead to a boss battle? It wouldn't change anything about my playthrough but I'm still curious.

double nine fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 23, 2015

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

double nine posted:

I finished the game, and I have to ask - is there a way to persuade Thaos that he was wrong, or does it always lead to a boss battle? It wouldn't change anything about my playthrough but I'm still curious.

Nope. He never concedes an inch of ground no matter your roleplaying stats or what argument you take.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Thaos has been doing that for hundreds, possibly thousands of years. Makes sense you wouldn't be able to convince him.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

2house2fly posted:

wtf? She interrupts you to yell directly at Hylea about how pissed off she is that she was born a freakish feather woman, and Hylea actually responds to her! How does that not count as addressing it?

And that's the extent of it is what I'm saying. We spend more time talking about the deal with Old Valia than the god-like theme. I was expecting a whole dungeon or some big boss that would address this race. I mean, the background is great and they could have done so much more with it. Maybe in one of the extension.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Thaos has been doing that for hundreds, possibly thousands of years. Makes sense you wouldn't be able to convince him.

Upon thinking about it, I agree with this. Also this game is far less talk-focused than Fallout or Arcanum, so it makes sense from a design perspective as well.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Talking down a villain can be fine depending on the scenario, but it can feel really forced and unnatural if it's done just to accommodate a talky playthrough. In New Vegas for example, I didn't buy for a second Lanius would actually just give in and walk home because of a brief, pre-battle conversation. Similarly I think it was a good shout for Thaos not to budge, he's been doing this poo poo thousands and years and has probably made up his mind by this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

In addition, it's also the source of his perfect awakenings; you could see why he'd be personally invested in it.

• Locked thread