Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

It's all kicking off in the TT at tour de suisse

Pinot has lost the lead and Thomas and spilak are exactly tied for the lead on the road with dumullin still a threat

http://live.cyclingnews.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Too bad for Ger(r)aint there. I can hardly bear to watch time trials anymore and almost skipped this.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
The tour of Suisse trophy is a gravity bong. Huh

Thomas is having a nice podium pout.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Paddyb posted:

The tour of Suisse trophy is a gravity bong. Huh

Thomas is having a nice podium pout.

He looks well hosed off.

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
As far as I understand the team leaders being banned from sleeping in motor homes thing, is:

a) they (the tour organisers) arrange the hotels for the entire tour, it brings money into the local economy and b) it means that the teams are at least on some sort of level pegging that way. c) what would happen if every team decided to start putting riders up in team motor homes, the logistics of finding enough places for every team to park their huge rear end motor homes would be another expense and alienates the entire viewing public to a further degree than is already the case. d) doping

I genuinely don't know, having only read a few articles about it, so I'm interested in what you guys think?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Most of them are likely to be chain hotels, bar the low wages paid to the staff the money will not stay in the local economy. I think you are right on the other counts. Possibly doping control will want to know exactly where a rider is staying for unannounced testing, it is a lot easier for the team staff to hide a rider when the testers turn up to a bunch of team trailers than an actual assigned to the rider room in a building.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
It's almost TDF time isn't it.

Guess I'll see you all in a month when this garbage is over.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
idk why but im finding it hard to get hyped about the tour for the first time in ages (even when we knew wigs and froome were gonna win).

Nibbles had his turn, quintana is really just the 'enemy of my enemy' pick and not much else, gently caress froome and if bert wins it will be a massive piss rip. i guess what im saying is is that we need another oscar pereiro deal, including a landis style meltdown from someone (froome lol).

Also, 10 days to hit proper mountains? wtf. and hitting up the massif central and no ventoux? wtf

Finaly 870 euro for that cancellara scrap LMAO

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Box Hill Strangler posted:

idk why but im finding it hard to get hyped about the tour for the first time in ages (even when we knew wigs and froome were gonna win).

Nibbles had his turn, quintana is really just the 'enemy of my enemy' pick and not much else, gently caress froome and if bert wins it will be a massive piss rip. i guess what im saying is is that we need another oscar pereiro deal, including a landis style meltdown from someone (froome lol).

Also, 10 days to hit proper mountains? wtf. and hitting up the massif central and no ventoux? wtf

Finaly 870 euro for that cancellara scrap LMAO

Feeling the same way. Its been so bad the last few years. We need total chaos and mayhem, arrests, doping busts, all of it. I would love it if a French rider is in contention.

Crystael
Mar 19, 2010
Pinot looks in great form, but even with the lack of time trialling I can't see him beating Froome, Nibali, Bert or Quintana. I think the first week will be interesting - bets on at least one of those four crashing out before we hit the mountains?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Ted Ed Fred posted:

As far as I understand the team leaders being banned from sleeping in motor homes thing, is:

a) they (the tour organisers) arrange the hotels for the entire tour, it brings money into the local economy and b) it means that the teams are at least on some sort of level pegging that way. c) what would happen if every team decided to start putting riders up in team motor homes, the logistics of finding enough places for every team to park their huge rear end motor homes would be another expense and alienates the entire viewing public to a further degree than is already the case. d) doping

I genuinely don't know, having only read a few articles about it, so I'm interested in what you guys think?

I think it's a mix of A and B with the proviso that I'm sure there's some kickbacks going on.

The way it works is the organising block book hotels and then they get visited and are ranked 1 to 5. Teams are then assigned hotels so they stay in the same number of lovely and good hotels over the tour though before a major mountain stage you might have 1 GC contender in a chateu and one on a mattress on the floor.

The organisers though already allow the big teams to have their own catering vans because the food in some of these places simply isn't good enough for athletes. If they really cared they'd start bypassing towns that didn't raise standards or have a financial incentive for hotels ranked higher.

The size of the vans isnt a big deal. You can actually sleep quite a few people on a dedicated sleeper coach and the beds are better then many of the rooms the guys stay in currently.

As for doping it probably makes it easier for control as the riders are in a much more compact space and they will be there longer giving them a bigger window and also making it easier for any potential whistleblowers to see any mischief.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Crystael posted:

Pinot looks in great form, but even with the lack of time trialling I can't see him beating Froome, Nibali, Bert or Quintana. I think the first week will be interesting - bets on at least one of those four crashing out before we hit the mountains?

Very likely, there's a long cobbled stage in the first few days. If they all stay upright though we could have some amazing 5/6 way battles in the mountains so I'm really looking forward to it even though it means concealing my iPad in theatres so I can watch it.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Well with the way ASO and the UCI are butting heads we may not have a tour in 2016

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/cyclingnews-exclusive-the-fight-between-aso-uci-and-teams-for-the-future-of-pro-cycling

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We'll have a tour. Remember the UCI forbade everyone to ride paris-nice once and they all just ignored them and rode it anyway.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/nicki-srensen-admits-to-doping-during-his-career

Wonder who else will be in it?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Not that much unknown stuff in it really I guess, but a bit damning for Contador - link

quote:

ADD report says that Bjarne Riis has admitted that he knew riders on his team were doping.

Unnamed source says Riis told Sastre to blood dope in 08: "We know for sure that Discovery are using it". Riis calls it a "misunderstanding"

Source says Riis probably knew about Discovery's blood-doping from Basso who was there in 2007. Remember who else was there in 2007? ..

A current rider tells ADD he expects some riders do small doses of blood-doping and then use altitude training to explain bio-pas variations

Quote from a current rider regarding doping in today's peloton. "Our team doesn't want Spanish riders on the team".

ADD too urges WADA to green-light night testing. They also say WADA shouldn't allow riders to see their own blood values in ADAMS.

ADD: UCI should introduce a "fit-for-purpose" criteria for DS & doctors. Deny license to those who haven't come clean about their past yet.

To sum up the ADD report: la la la la la la "statute of limitation". la la la la la la la "statute of limitation" etc etc etc

To me, most interesting ADD part is that Riis allegedly knew about blood doping on Discovery in07 & then hired their star rider 4years later

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
It's all kicking off down south in the States over this Confederacy stuff.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Meanwhile in the Netherlands, the police have found another way to become unpopular:

quote:

Dutch police set to bring Tour de France peloton to a halt in strike action

The Grand Départ of the Tour de France is set to be disrupted by strike action from Dutch policemen demanding improved pay conditions.

According to Dutch network Nos, the police unions have written a letter to the minister of security and justice, Ard Van de Steur, announcing their intentions to stop the Tour caravan for a traffic control on the Erasmus Bridge in Rotterdam on stage 2. This is also intened to bring the entire peloton to a halt and things will not be allowed to get moving again until images of the static riders are broadcast.

The unions have been fighting fruitlessly for improved conditions for fifteen weeks and plan to show they mean business in front of a global audience. Nos also report that van der Steur has hinted at legal action if security is in any way compromised.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's about high loving time they actually did something tangible tho, they've been without a collective agreement for going on 4 years.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I hope there's also a proper tractor parade like Gent Wevelgem.

GrimSqueaker
Sep 26, 2011
Labor disputes and other protests are a historic part of the Tour.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Paddyb posted:

I hope there's also a proper tractor parade like Gent Wevelgem.

The races just havent been the same without the tractors.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Fair enough too. Never cross a picket line!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Galibier is gone. Going up the Croix de Fer instead

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/galibier-cut-from-tour-de-france-stage-to-lalpe-dhuez

Dirtanium
Aug 3, 2007

GrimSqueaker posted:

Labor disputes and other protests are a historic part of the Tour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8sSprvMMXg

If Froome tried to throw a punch, he'd break his wrist.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Kittel is out.
Maybe Cav will win some stages this year, but my money is on Kristoff.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Premature ejacula- posted:

Kittel is out.
Maybe Cav will win some stages this year, but my money is on Kristoff.

Kristoff is fast but his squad is bringing mountain helpers for Joaquim Rodriguez instead of a sprint train. Andre Greipel will have Jens Debusschere and Greg Henderson leading him out.

I think the flat days will be between Cav, Greipel and Kristoff and the tougher-to-reach sprints will be between Degenkolb, Sagan and maybe Kristoff depending on whether he can re-find the form he had this spring or not.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I've done croix de fer and it's no joke either. Really scenic too.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Jamsque posted:

Kristoff is fast but his squad is bringing mountain helpers for Joaquim Rodriguez instead of a sprint train. Andre Greipel will have Jens Debusschere and Greg Henderson leading him out.

I think the flat days will be between Cav, Greipel and Kristoff and the tougher-to-reach sprints will be between Degenkolb, Sagan and maybe Kristoff depending on whether he can re-find the form he had this spring or not.

I'm looking forward to the extended flat stages. That's a good bunch of sprinters and they should be beating each other to pieces every day.

Curious to see if Good Cav shows up.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Also, you forgot this sexy red devil:

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Paddyb posted:

Also, you forgot this sexy red devil:

Did you see MTN at the Dauphine? They brought THREE sprinters and managed one third place. Farrar is old and slow, EBH has never been fast enough on the true flat sprints and MTN are just a crappy b-tier team in general.

Their time to shine at Le Tour is going to be breakaways on the mountain stages.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Jamsque posted:

Did you see MTN at the Dauphine? They brought THREE sprinters and managed one third place. Farrar is old and slow, EBH has never been fast enough on the true flat sprints and MTN are just a crappy b-tier team in general.

Their time to shine at Le Tour is going to be breakaways on the mountain stages.

Yeah the sprinters are the worst part of their team strangely enough. Daniel Teklehaimanot was great in the Dauphine.

I really just had to post that beard

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Etix have loaded their team for the sprint at the tour. Renshaw, Trentin and Stybar all going. They better win a few stages with that team.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Should we have a new thread?

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

Etix have loaded their team for the sprint at the tour. Renshaw, Trentin and Stybar all going. They better win a few stages with that team.

With no Kittel to contend with and Cav on good form this year I think they made the right decision. Honestly they could have gone even farther and left Uran at home, I don't expect he'll do much in the mountains given the quality of riders he'll be up against.

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

kimbo305 posted:

Should we have a new thread?

no, that will encourage those who dont actually watch cycling to post in it. which usually ends up being rather irritating.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Lance can't melt steel beams!

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Pimp Cauldron posted:

no, that will encourage those who dont actually watch cycling to post in it. which usually ends up being rather irritating.

Agreed

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm going to be at the time trial in Utrecht next week, probably a bad idea as they expect hundreds of thousands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Pvt Dancer posted:

I'm going to be at the time trial in Utrecht next week, probably a bad idea as they expect hundreds of thousands

Make sure you cross the road in the middle of it and try to sue the rider for killing you.