Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I found a necropolis but when I found the downstairs that, in theory, lead to the vault, it gave me a message about the way being blocked off halfway down.

I spent like 15 minutes finding a second staircase, got the same thing. I even turned on the debug menu and teleported a level down but it was all nothing but solid rock. I feel cheated. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Despite the fact that this mansion had TWO libraries, as it turned out. Neither of them contained martial arts books of any sort, much less Five Rings or Ninjutsu.

However, I can make European and Japanese weapons and armor know, as well as Control Laptops, and there were a few other books of note, like Engineering 301, that I hadn't seen before, so it was a pretty decent haul still, I think.

I will continue my search for the two super rare books I suppose but in the meantime, I can arm myself in style now. And protect myself against robotic enemies I suppose.

Edit: Hey I can probably dismantle the mansion's computers to make myself those cameras and stuff I always wanted to.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Oh, speaking of control laptops, anyone have an idea of the most likely place for HackPro USB drives to spawn? I think I found one in a lab my last game but I've been through like six or seven labs and haven't seen one yet.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Oh, speaking of control laptops, anyone have an idea of the most likely place for HackPro USB drives to spawn? I think I found one in a lab my last game but I've been through like six or seven labs and haven't seen one yet.

I found one in the lab I was in, but I'm not sure where exactly. Maybe it's a drop?

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
I just want to say that the brawling style is possibly the most overpowered thing. It is just amazing to be able to stand in place and eternally knock zombies backward with one punch. I even went up to a chicken walker and punched it to death (after it ran out of bullets fighting the local fungaloid population). I also found an ANFO charge in the mines and I decided to carry it around with me, waiting for 'the time' in which I can use it for the best effect. I found my time when I saw a fungal bloom just offroad. I lit it, threw it next to the tower and ran like heck and holy poo poo the explosion. I was deaf for several hours afterward. :v

Here's how my salvaged RV looks, standard.

And this is a more technical look of it.

I've completely replaced the outer parts of it with heavy duty frames and military composite armor along with reinforced windshields and a floodlight in the middle between the reinforced headlights. Also notice how much I'm trying to lug around at once too; two of the back cargo carriers are separately devoted to weapons and ammo/gun mods. I'm a packrat at heart it seems.

What's the difference between fungal towers, fungal flowers, and fungal blooms? Is there any way to repair damaged ammo, like the kind I find off of zombie corpses?

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 23, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

What the gently caress was going on in that motel room :stare:

e: There's another 10 in the room just north of that.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 23, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Dareon posted:

What the gently caress was going on in that motel room :stare:

Remove the first two words of your question and you'll get your answer. :v:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

And in the very next Mansion I look in I find the book of Five Rings. Awesome. Maybe I can find ninjutsu too. :)

Zombies smashing their way through bookshelves dont destroy the books right? Unless they explode into acid or spit acid on the shelves or something?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Grimman007 posted:

How should I prepare for a cold lab? What should I bring?

A little late here, but to elaborate, ice labs can be tricky. Warm clothing and a blanket is probably enough to get you through the first floor, but if it's a multi-floor lab, it will get progressively colder the deeper you go. A lab I went through recently (and foolishly did so in early spring!), was significantly below freezing on the first floor. By the time I finally found the bottom, I had my internal temperature regulator CBM going, my UPS-modified fur-lined electrothermal suit on, my entire set of fur-lined winter survivor gear, and two more layers of warm winter clothing on besides, and I still had body-parts dipping into the negative 100 range and lower. I could only stay just long enough to loot the finale (literally dozens of mininukes! ...which I mostly can't carry and wasn't really looking for. Oh well), and on the way back out I had to light a couple of raging infernos with my mini-flamethrower CBM just to warm up and stave off the onset of frostbite.

Artificer posted:

And in the very next Mansion I look in I find the book of Five Rings. Awesome. Maybe I can find ninjutsu too. :)

Zombies smashing their way through bookshelves dont destroy the books right? Unless they explode into acid or spit acid on the shelves or something?

I think from what I've seen that there's a small chance of items in a vehicle or piece of furniture getting damaged or destroyed when it is, but that's anecdotal and I'm pretty sure it's rare besides. I haven't run tests on it, but I think you're probably fine if there's no boomers, spitters, zombie scientists, or eyes involved.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 23, 2015

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

IIRC I found two in the automated street sweepers, but maybe I'm confusing them for some other kind of USB hack thing. Also weirdly it would say (in the "V" menu) "USB with Hack-whatever" but when you pick it up it shows as empty. So maybe not the same thing? Not entirely sure, I've never messed with laptops or USB drives.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Shady Amish Terror posted:

A little late here, but to elaborate, ice labs can be tricky. Warm clothing and a blanket is probably enough to get you through the first floor, but if it's a multi-floor lab, it will get progressively colder the deeper you go. A lab I went through recently (and foolishly did so in early spring!), was significantly below freezing on the first floor. By the time I finally found the bottom, I had my internal temperature regulator CBM going, my UPS-modified fur-lined electrothermal suit on, my entire set of fur-lined winter survivor gear, and two more layers of warm winter clothing on besides, and I still had body-parts dipping into the negative 100 range and lower. I could only stay just long enough to loot the finale (literally dozens of mininukes! ...which I mostly can't carry and wasn't really looking for. Oh well), and on the way back out I had to light a couple of raging infernos with my mini-flamethrower CBM just to warm up and stave off the onset of frostbite.

I think from what I've seen that there's a
small chance of items in a vehicle or piece of furniture getting damaged or destroyed when it is, but that's anecdotal and I'm pretty sure it's rare besides. I haven't run tests on it, but I think you're probably fine if there's no boomers, spitters, zombie scientists, or eyes involved.

Great! That's good to hear. When I get back to the game I am going to tread really carefully. Possible skill books are worth more their weight in gold for me.

Also :stare: ice labs are some hardcore poo poo wow. I had some cold issues in the first lab I ran but I guess that is just standard lab temperature? I was ok with heavy armor and some compression tops and shorts and stuff.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is it 50 below zero? If so it's an ice lab.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, ice labs are really unmistakable if you're paying attention to your temperature at all. In summer, you can go from Warm to Comfortable or even Chilly just stepping into the entryway of the ice lab. Below that, the first floor is probably going to be below freezing even in warmer months (mine was a mild -33F, according to a thermometer in a storage room), and they just keep getting colder the deeper you go. It's a wonder the robots and horrible abominations are able to even function at the bottom levels in deep ice labs.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Excuse me sir but low temperatures actually improve conduction thus robots should be even more lethal deep in ice labs.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

However all their lubricants turn into adhesives.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Cataclysm Realism™

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Just light yourself on fire. They can't catch you if you are on fire.

Plus you will be warm.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
My gimmick run of an ugly psychopathic cannibal bionic monster that would use his starting cabin as his base of operations has turned into my most successful run ever. There's a truck parked right on the nearest road for effectively infinite metal, a mansion nearby for wood and nails, a beehive not far beyond the mansion for easy meat, and nearby crashes and dead military patrols gave me a full set of basic power armour with a hauling frame. And my lab spelunking just uncovered a CVD machine.

All I need now is a UPS bionic to become Death, destroyer of worlds.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What are USB drives actually useful for? How do you use them?

Galm
Oct 31, 2009

Same vehicle as before, I have to replace the forward quarterpanel (there's no heavy duty quarterpanels) every now and then, but this thing's pretty tough overall.

Awhile ago I did a double-take on my crafting menu and found out I could weaponize the loving blobs. So my tank now sports two blob spitters that spit acid. I can now kite whole groups and watch them repeatedly walk over acid and die.

A couple issues is that it takes a lot of time to make all the necessary blob feed (but the materials"meat, bones, water; tainted or otherwise; is everywhere) and the acid melts all the loot.

ro5s posted:

They spawn with software in it, but I think HackPRO is the only one with any use.
Oh, and you can disassemble them for RAM.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I am dying for absolutly no reason. One secound I'm butchering zombie scientists corpses, the next my torso is at 0 hp and I'm dead. No warning, nothings attacking me, I'm not poisoned, I don't think its radiation. Sometimes when I load the save I can even move around a few steps before I keel over dead.

Is there anyway to check whats killing me? The @ screen doesn't list anything wrong.

Galm
Oct 31, 2009
Sounds like OD to me, what's the death message?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Breathing stops. I took a single oxycodone earlier cause a couple turrets blasted me, would that seriously overdose me?

Ed: I may have taken a secound a few minutes later.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

I think there's a debug thing you can turn on with ~ or something, check the controls page of the wiki.

Galm
Oct 31, 2009
Breathing stops is definitely painkiller OD.

I don't think two doses is enough to kill you, but there are other things that can increase the painkiller counter, like alcohol, marloss berries/mycus fruits, and the lightweight trait.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Is there some file I can edit so that I can remove it? This is pretty bullshit.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
There might be a debug mode command that can save you. Check your keybindings and bind a key to debug mode.

I've never managed to OD before, but it does seem kinda poo poo that you go from "fine" to "dead" outright. You'd think you'd get some warning messages and unconsciousness/etc. before just "whoops your lungs done got plumb tuckered out, RIP Foxbutt McCoy"

e: I didn't even think of Blood Filter. OwlFancier's got the right idea here I think.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 23, 2015

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
"You gain a mutation called Slimy!"

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I hate that mutation. Its mechanical effects are actually really nice, but the obnoxious visual clutter - and the fact that the slime can conceal items and terrain features! - are just unbearable. That's one of the very few situations where I'll fire up debug mode and cheat something out without feeling bad about it. It's easy enough to irradiate myself a bit so I get a different, less maliciously annoying random mutation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

There might be a debug mode conmand that can save you. Check your keybindings and bind a key to debug mode.

I've never managed to OD before, but it does seem kinda poo poo that you go from "fine" to "dead" outright. You'd think you'd get some warning messages and unconsciousness/etc. before just "whoops your lungs done got plumb tuckered out, RIP Foxbutt McCoy"

You can try debugging yourself a blood filter bionic if all else fails and using that to get rid of the drug.

Royal Jelly might also work.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Royal jelly does not work, I happened to find one earlier and it does nothing to delay Sudden Demise Syndrome.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Then a blood filter should be able to remove drugs and alcohol from the bloodstream, and a blood analysis will tell you whether that's definitely the problem.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ro5s posted:

Only the "USB Drive with HackPro" is useful, and you don't actually activate it -- it's an ingredient in a control laptop, which allows you to flip hostile robots over to friendly. Having a pet Chicken Walker is on my list of "things to do before I get bored and suicide." :v:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Only the "USB Drive with HackPro" is useful, and you don't actually activate it -- it's an ingredient in a control laptop, which allows you to flip hostile robots over to friendly. Having a pet Chicken Walker is on my list of "things to do before I get bored and suicide." :v:

Speaking of walkers.... one time I got laser targeted by one but it never opened fire. I ended up fighting it in melee before shotgunning it to death just outside explosion range. What happened? Did it use up its ammo on zombies or something? Either way I had no ranged options at the time iirc so I would have been hosed.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Artificer posted:

Speaking of walkers.... one time I got laser targeted by one but it never opened fire. I ended up fighting it in melee before shotgunning it to death just outside explosion range. What happened? Did it use up its ammo on zombies or something? Either way I had no ranged options at the time iirc so I would have been hosed.

It could be the ammo thing but more likely you were just out of range. It's very short to compensate for the fact that gun-using enemies can instakill you no matter how armored or skilled you are.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It could be the ammo thing but more likely you were just out of range. It's very short to compensate for the fact that gun-using enemies can instakill you no matter how armored or skilled you are.

But it laser targeted me from far away and then we both closed distance with each other before I stabbed it a couple of times in the face with a spear!

And then I backed off and shotgunned it.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Artificer posted:

But it laser targeted me from far away and then we both closed distance with each other before I stabbed it a couple of times in the face with a spear!

And then I backed off and shotgunned it.

I think the laser targeting is only for a grenade (or missile?) launcher at long range, if you were closing the distance you could have gotten inside the minimum range before it had a chance to fire.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Huh, I actually built one of those a few days ago, I just didn't notice that's what it used. Thanks anyway :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Artificer posted:

Do collapsing buildings and rubble falling on things destroy the items in a tile? Because I just stumbled upon a mansion and I have spotted hulks and necromancers from afar. I would hate to get my loot ruined by falling rubble caused by a hulk.

Either way, does anyone have advice for tackling this mansion? Hulks + close quarters + necromancers = really bad time.

Get their attention and then lure them into some place more suitable to fight them. Don't you have a turret on your car? Just go BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA and then run back to the gun.

e: goddamn phone

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 23, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Get their attention and then lure them into some place more suitable to fight them. Don't you have a turret on your car? Just go BOOGA BOOGA BOOGA and then run back to the gun.

I'm afraid of hulks punching through support structures to get to me and my car and breaking important poo poo. :v: That's definitely nearly gotten me killed before. Good thing this thread has told me that stuff is generally somewhat durable at least.

Except for wine bottles and stuff.

Following the other people in this thread, I'm going to post my ride.

I should really reinstall my dome light. Can't quite figure out what parts I need to make one though. Anyways. It is a repurposed ambulance. The middle walls have been cut away for ease of movement. I have every mountable furniture module like minifridge and kitchen unit. Every other space other than the chairs and bed (with American Flag blanket) is filled with cargo holders. Because I am a huge packrat and can't bear to throw away things and I love looting things that I "might need later." The frame is the same as before so it is a bit fragile, but I have military composite armor on every square in and out of the car; I removed my old spiked plating since composite is tougher and the spikes didn't seem to do any noticeably more damage. The headlights actually mostly point to the side and back since I use the floodlight, sitting just behind the pink t (turbolaser turret), to highlight my way forward and a bit of the area behind my car. All the solar panels are reinforced upgraded solar panels, and the orange Os are security cameras arranged in such a way to provide maximum all around visibility from the driver's seat. I don't have wing mirrors to worry about, and the car has proved pretty tough, driving through roadblocks and such without much issue. The turret is also great for fire support though sometimes it does spray the entire area down with lasers, such as when I'm driving through a swamp.

The large electric engine (one since I don't go very fast very often at all) is in the middle of the car. I have close to a dozen various batteries hooked up to the car so I have a massive power reserve, and combined with the solar panels, means that I don't need to worry about fuel at all. I have two gas tanks in the car in case I decide to get some gasoline and use it to make napalm or something, and two nearly full water tanks for drinking. Plus a keg of salt water sitting in a cargo holder for meat jerky. Also everything is as close to symmetrical as I can because I'm a sucker for that sort of thing.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Coolguye posted:

The problem is if you aren't careful about how you get zombies out of a building they (especially the big ones) will kool-aid man right through walls.